PDA

View Full Version : Employment with HIA - any good?

CompetentOrConfused
5th Jun 2002, 21:22
Am considering applying to Highlands & Islands up in Scotland as their wages seem reasonable but I don't know much about their other conditions of service although I believe they are in the NATS pension scheme.

I'm a bit wary as they always seem short of ATCOs - what are they like as employers? Any advice/details on HIA terms and conditions, e.g. holidays, pensions, typical rosters, allowances (if any), would be most welcome.

Also seem to remember hearing a rumour that SERCO may be taking over. Any truth?

Cheers
COC

Findo
7th Jun 2002, 21:51
They are good employers and the ATC / airport managment side is interesting. Government tried to sell them off about 5 years ago and failed. Any attempt to manage the ATC side by SERCO would mean no loss of terms and conditions to staff.

The biggest thing that turns over staff is location. It is a completely different world. You would need to be sure you wanted the lifestyle. Give the towers a ring and speak to the ATCOs.

Lieutenant Dan
7th Jun 2002, 23:41
COC, as Findo says, it's a different world, but it's a great place.

You will need an Approach Procedural rating, but I think they'll put you through that course, if nec.

edinv
9th Jun 2002, 12:50
Re comments on HIAL; the Govenment in 1983 tried to sell CAA Scottish Aerodromes, result no serious bidders, government through CAA then set up HIAL as limited company, total shares owned by CAA, board appointed by CAA. Transfer of 'shares' to the Scottish Office ,now the Scottish Executive took place in 1996 , HIAL is now directly answerable to the Scottish Executive/Scottish Parliament.

HIAL is part of the CAA pension scheme as is NATS. HIAL administratively is part of the CAA division of the Pension scheme.

Terms and conditions are similar to other public sector organisations. PROSPECT, formally IPMS negotiates for ATCO grades.Week end & PH payments, MET Obs allowance.
Rosters depend on location . Only KOI/EGPA LSI/EGPB & INV/EGPE presently qualify for shift disturbance at + 12.5% to basic pay.

HIAL is effectively a public service, airline operators increasing want to fly flights early in the morning and well into the evening to/from HIAL airports. This requires more staff. This is the main reason why HIAL needs more ATCOs.:cool:

niknak
9th Jun 2002, 23:07
And to add to John's post -
The money is OK, but beware of the posting they offer you, the islands - including Sumburgh and Kirkwall are very quiet, the others even quieter!
You won't get Inverness unless you know something which hangs in either the airport managers or the Manger ATS closets (information available at a price:D ).
Whatever you do, do not buy a house unless it is in the Inverness area, equally think very carefully about uprooting family. Shetland (Sumburgh or Kirkwall) is not a good family prospect.

Negotiate trips home - at least one per month fully expensed flights etc.
The jobs a piece of cake, quality of life is pretty good, standard of education very good, but you've really got think about what you want to get out of it and whether you'd be happy working at quiet stations for the rest of your career.

If HIA ATC does go to SERCO, although TUPE does cover a lot, it doesn't cover pensions, and the CAA pension fund will not necessarily allow new or existing members to remain in the scheme.

Hyperborean
12th Jun 2002, 13:39
A story in today's (12 June ) Scotsman reports secret,not any more,talks between HIAL and both SERCO and Nats regarding the "privatisation" of ATS in HIAL.Given that there was a meeting between HIAL management and Unions yesterday and nothing was said,draw your own conclusions.
Mick.

Baron Greenback
12th Jun 2002, 18:20
Are HIAL recruiting people without the approach procedural rating? If so, stop the world, I wanna get on.

edinv
12th Jun 2002, 20:24
To answer the comment above, Yes!

Mangaman
12th Jun 2002, 21:22
Question is "why would you want to join HIAL?".
If the reports in The Scotsman are true it looks like their management are about to sell the ATCOs down the privitisation river.
SERCO or NATS, fryingpan or fire:confused:

Lieutenant Dan
13th Jun 2002, 00:28
Traffic Magnet- I'm with you, sir.
Just counting down the years...save me a seat on the northbound bus.