PDA

View Full Version : RF to ATO Conversion - Another Hidden cost

Mickey Kaye
8th Jan 2015, 15:12
Just heard of some real shocking news from a local RF that have converted to ATOs. Not only do they pay a yearly fee which is significantly higher than what they would pay if they where an RF but there would appear to be additional hidden costs as well.

They have just been given a bill for nigh on 1500 quid for a pre-audit review, on site review and post audit work.

What an earth? Are they trying to close all flying school down all together?

S-Works
8th Jan 2015, 15:57
Welcome to our world. CAA insist on auditing us in Spain on an annual basis despite never having more than 3 audit points and the most serious finding being that the compass swing card had faded in the sun on one aircraft.....

For that privilege its a the thick end of £8k by the time you have paid all of there costs and our costs for having all the key staff and in the same place at the same time.

LAI
8th Jan 2015, 16:10
That is interesting to hear. I distinctly remember the CAA's representative at the RTF to ATO "Roadshow" we attended assuring everyone that CAA audits for PPL-level ATOs would be covered by the higher annual charge...

Whopity
9th Jan 2015, 14:44
It would appear the accountants don't seem to know what their team told the industry at the briefings. I recall that we were destinctly told that the "Approval Fee" would cover the process. They did quote a figure for "additional work" should they exceed the all-in minima.

An ATO I represented was also billed and I believe, refused to pay any charges in excess of those quoted.

If they charge additional costs, you should demand a detailed breakdown of all charges.

Its all under control:

CAA has made significant progress in GA regulation

Significant progress has been made in 2014 to make regulation of the UK’s General Aviation sector more proportionate and evidence-based the UK Civil Aviation Authority said today.

Read full story (http://ukga.com/news/view?contentId=34715)

A pity nobody has noticed!

LAI
9th Jan 2015, 17:45
It would appear the accountants don't seem to know what their team told the industry at the briefings. I recall that we were destinctly told that the "Approval Fee" would cover the process.

Glad I wasn't the only one that thought I'd heard that Whopity! :ok:

belowradar
9th Jan 2015, 19:26
Thank goodness I decided not to switch from RF to ATO recently after getting my manuals in order ........it suddenly dawned on me that CAA are real hard nosed b?:"~rds so if I don't change status they can't pile on the costs and stupid audits and I keep control , phew that was a close one !

When the red tape goes then i will switch , might be a while :ok:

Mickey Kaye
11th Jan 2015, 07:42
To answer questions asked by PM. The template manual was used and there was no errors found with the audit and no corrections were required to the manuals.

So it would appear that all RF that have converted to ATO and all new ATO can expect similar "hidden" charges.