PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus Cadet Pilot Program

Pages : [1] 2 3

Hagop
13th Sep 2014, 11:31
FTEJerez (http://www.ftejerez.com/selection/aerlingus#)

Good luck !

hazholmes
13th Sep 2014, 12:41
75% contribution towards costs. Wow, sounds promising.

pilotchute
13th Sep 2014, 13:45
The thread from last year was still be posted on a few months ago.

Maybe mods can merge?

macflea
13th Sep 2014, 13:58
interestingly no mention of maxmium age for cadets (well not officially) and also are they leaving the door open for guys who have already got their atpl exams and cpl/me/ir ? fingers crossed for this 38 year old guy with a 270 hour frozen atpl license.

immelmann87
13th Sep 2014, 15:14
I hope that guys in FTE Jerez are aware of the amount of applications that will fall on them in the nearest future...

immelmann87
13th Sep 2014, 15:20
OK, it took them 5 minutes to send me a rejection e-mail. Are they looking for ab-initio candidates?

pilotchute
13th Sep 2014, 15:30
Im ell,

Was it not rather obvious that it's a ab initio program?

EZY_FR
13th Sep 2014, 15:54
Where are the entry requirements?
EDIT: Nevermind, they are on the FTE site, even though the FTE site clearly stated that the info is on the EI website.

immelmann87
13th Sep 2014, 16:44
EZY_FR,

they are not published, but may be derived from the application form:

18 before or at 1 Jan 2015
EU Citizen,
Medically fit,
Some flying experience, but w/o a license (based on my turbo-quick rejection e-mail)
Willing to pay 25 000 Euros for the training

PeppyJeppy
13th Sep 2014, 17:16
I have a good few hours and I got the stage 2 email to answer the questions on the FTE website.

Officer Kite
13th Sep 2014, 18:30
PeppyJeppy, I would e-mail to confirm, it might have been a technical error. It's definitely specific to ab-initio from what I've read. A link is given to the Aer lingus "cadet" pilot page and there it is stated it is for those with little or no flying experience, anything more is direct entry in EI terms.

TODA.1
13th Sep 2014, 18:39
Educational criteria:
You must hold a Leaving Certificate or equivalent with a minimum of 6 subjects which must include the following:
English and Mathematics minimum grade C in ordinary level
Plus Two higher level subjects at a minimum grade C
Source; FTEJerez

For a UK Citizen, does the, 'English and Mathematics minimum grade C in ordinary level' refer to GCSE?'s
Also, 'Plus Two higher level subjects at a minimum grade C' Does this refer to A Level Grades?

Regards.

G-VCED
13th Sep 2014, 18:44
That is how I understood it TODA.1

speed_alive_rotate
13th Sep 2014, 19:19
I don't think so guys. Your GCSE would be equivalent to our Junior Cert. Your A levels would be more equivalent to our Leaving Cert. So I would suspect for Uk guys that A levels would be required.

G-VCED
13th Sep 2014, 19:22
Number of subjects at leaving certificate or equivalents * = GCSE

Number of higher level subjects or equivalent with grade C or above * = A Level

Have you completed or are you currently studying towards a third level qualification? * = University

?

Officer Kite
13th Sep 2014, 19:31
The Irish junior cert is the equivalent of the UK GCSE, The Irish Leaving Cert is the equivalent of UK A-levels.

EDIT: The Leaving cert varies, subjects taken at ordinary level are GCSE equivalent, higher is A-level

TODA.1
13th Sep 2014, 20:16
Thank you all for your prompt responses. Best regards to you all for your applications!

PeppyJeppy
13th Sep 2014, 20:50
PeppyJeppy, I would e-mail to confirm, it might have been a technical error. It's definitely specific to ab-initio from what I've read. A link is given to the Aer lingus "cadet" pilot page and there it is stated it is for those with little or no flying experience, anything more is direct entry in EI terms.

Well I'm just chancing the arm and applying really.

But on the form it does ask if you have a licence and gives the option to tick PPL/CPL/ATPL. It also asks if you have done any ATPL exams. Bit of an odd option to give if they only want effective zero hour guys.

Sure look I applied ticked the boxes and told the truth. Let them be the ones to tell me no.

Officer Kite
13th Sep 2014, 22:19
"Bit of an odd option to give if they only want effective zero hour guys."

They want to see how far you've gone in, cpl/ir wouldn't be allowed as immelmann found out, whereas ppl or maybe some other small things maybe allowed.

"Sure look I applied ticked the boxes and told the truth. Let them be the ones to tell me no."

I didn't say you lied and I was only trying to help by saying to e-mail, calm down.

PeppyJeppy
13th Sep 2014, 22:33
I'm quite calm. They ask if you have a licence and after you select yes it asks if it is PPL/CPL/ATPL. I ticked CPL. 2 other guys I know with CPLs(and one has an MEIR and 400+TT) also got the phase 2 email so it seems to be ok.

If they say no they say no...they probably will....I wont cry over it but until I hear no I'm happy enough

immelmann87
14th Sep 2014, 05:48
Based on what You guys are writing here, neither the flight hours nor license were the rejection criteria for me but the number of Leaving Cert subjects. :/

Hagop
14th Sep 2014, 10:00
75% is promising indeed!
Any idea what happens just in case you were not offered an FO position with Aer Lingus? Are you supposed to repay them the remaining cost of your training in that case?

Gingerbread Man
14th Sep 2014, 11:29
This has easily got to be the best ab initio scheme going for which UK people are eligible (probably the best for the last decade). I applied last year but was turned down after the final stage, but it's really impressive that a national airline is still willing pay for the majority of the training cost. It's a little bit sad that that is noteworthy due to its rarity.

I'd guess there'll be only a handful of spaces and they'll be swamped with applications, but to their credit the people in HR respond to emails and calls very well. You have to be able to be quite flexible though. Last year I had less than a weeks notice for all three Dublin stages if memory serves. Cue lots of frantic flight/hotel booking while simultaneously finding people to cover shifts etc.

If it's anything like last year in structure it goes like this:

1) Application Form
2) Online aptitude tests

3) Assessment Centre, Dublin
- Assessed group discussion
- Written assessment (essay-type questions)
- Interview with two senior captains

4) Dublin
- Computerised tests
- Interview with two senior captains

5) Dublin
- Personality test (hundreds of questions)
- Interview with psychologist
(- Medical, if you don't already hold a Class 1)

Stages 3, 4 and 5 are all separate events and for me 3 and 4 were about five months apart. This may all have changed as FTE are clearly involved from the start this time.

It was a shame to go through the whole thing and not make it, but there's plenty of competition. I suggest going for it and giving your all.

Officer Kite
14th Sep 2014, 14:22
What are people doing with the word count, going well below it or just a few words below it ? It says 500 so I initially planned for 400 each, proving difficult trying to keep it down.

aspiringpilot11
14th Sep 2014, 19:25
Hi guys, if you don't meet the LC requirements (didn't get the maths grade) dies studying for a level 3 surpass the requirements?

Officer Kite
14th Sep 2014, 19:55
I know someone currently in 3rd level and he didn't make the maths either, he received a rejection e-mail.

TODA.1
14th Sep 2014, 20:51
So, just to confirm the Maths and English grades are referring to the GCSE equivalent?

Hangar6
14th Sep 2014, 21:13
Folks,
Best of luck to applicants, try and dig up previous thread on this as answers most questions, follow boards.ie aviation section as threads
Merged, this is third year of program, huge number
Applicants, 2500 just from FR ,
20 positions , a great career , so few places BUT

Getting through the first phase requires focus , get it right
It's critical that your fullest attention is on this, so
Easy to be screened out by a system so any questions read the
Threads or email EI HR

Again good luck , a great little company , good expansion
Coming, solid financials and loads of UK folks on the team
Stay positive on this thread , it helps!

PeppyJeppy
14th Sep 2014, 21:28
So, just to confirm the Maths and English grades are referring to the GCSE equivalent?

A-Levels

Results in the final school leaving exam

Officer Kite
14th Sep 2014, 21:33
I didn't apply in previous years but I have a feeling this year is different. There are no computer aptitude tests etc, only written questions. Either way competition will be fierce :}

owenc
14th Sep 2014, 21:34
I'm not applying for this yet.

I would need to speak to someone professional. I am not even sure what the leaving certificate is either.

When is the deadline? What is the aptitude test? Are you asked to do questions on like quadratic equations etc?

HowlinIrishWolf
14th Sep 2014, 21:39
I applied today. Must say, it was nice not to see an upper age limit! I'm 29 and feel that I still might be pushing it age wise!

galwaypilot
14th Sep 2014, 23:04
If you had a 1000hrs 738 time would they still look at you... Great scheme and company!

owenc
14th Sep 2014, 23:28
I would hope not! Thats hardly fair on people like me with no hours!!

PeppyJeppy
14th Sep 2014, 23:57
Aer Lingus want crews at the pointy end! Life is not fair kid...first rule of life!

owenc
15th Sep 2014, 00:32
So why call it a "cadet" programme then?

wheel barrow
15th Sep 2014, 09:21
They won't accept anyone on the cadet course who already holds an ATPL(f). DE FO recruitment may follow but this course is for people with no experience or who only hold a PPL

Gazza88
15th Sep 2014, 09:35
What a great scheme this appears to be! Gutted I won't be able to apply as you would need to get an IAA Class 1 medical who don't have the CAD colour vision test.

Unfortunate for people like me who fail the Ishihara colour test and lantern test but can get a CAA Class 1 after passing the new(ish) CAD test at Gatwick!

May be worth bearing in mind for folks in a similar position.

El-Piloto
15th Sep 2014, 10:44
I submitted my application on Saturday and got to the generic "application submitted successfully" page of the site detailed here;

"Thank you for applying.

Your application has been submitted successfully. You will receive an immediate email response from us to the e-mail address provided on the application form.

If your initial details meet the requirements for this selection program, the e-mail will give you a link with access details to the next phase. After accessing the link in the e-mail you must answer the questions to the best of your ability. If you have any difficulty in accessing the link, please contact FTEJerez at [email protected]

Please note that you must return the answers as directed within three days from the time that you submit your application. You may return to the questions through the link as often as you like, however your three day time limit for returning answers begins from the time that your application was submitted.

FTEJerez"

In my personal opinion I tick all the boxes (mid 20's, sufficient grades, PPL, Class one medical, UK citizen, not started any ATPL exams etc) but I haven't yet received the "immediate email response" FTE mention, I applied Saturday! :ugh: . (I have checked my junk mail)

Is anyone else in the same position? I have emailed them, but have not yet received a response. I don't want to apply again as multiple applications can disqualify you, but I am getting slightly anxious as the three day time limit for returning answers begins from the time that your application was submitted.

Should I continue to just refresh my inbox over and over? I am going slightly mad, advice appreciated folks?

Thanks

Officer Kite
15th Sep 2014, 10:50
I don't think 3 days is enough to give for the questions, not when your quite busy at work etc though i guess everyone is in the same boat .

HowlinIrishWolf
15th Sep 2014, 11:53
El-Piloto - I wouldn't worry too much. From what I can gather, when you submit your application to FTE Jerez on behalf of Aer Lingus, the link that comes in your email asks you to create an account to take the further tests and that's when the clock starts.

Stand to be corrected however.

I haven't received an immediate response email either. But, I'll panic tomorrow if I don't hear anything. I applied yesterday and they're probably inundated.

sammyduke
15th Sep 2014, 14:00
Can German citizens apply for the Aer Lingus Cadet Program too?

What are the eyesight requirements? Can I enter the program with:
Sph.: +2,25 (right eye) and +4,25 (left eye)
Cyl.: -2,25 (right eye) and -4,0 (left eye) ?

Fostex
15th Sep 2014, 19:48
How are people entering UK GCSEs/A-Levels into the leavers cert/high qual boxes? Based qualification comparison websites a leavers cert subject is worth less credit than an A-level.

EI-mech
15th Sep 2014, 20:56
A person of any nationality can apply as long as they are proficient with English.

As for eyesight, the following is taken from page 50 of this (http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/606984.pdf) JAA document:

"At the initial examination the refractive error shall be within the range of +5 to -6 dioptres
In an initial applicant with a refractive error with an astigmatic component, the stigmatism shall not exceed 2,0 dioptres."

Mach Jump
15th Sep 2014, 21:14
Does anyone know, is the Aer Lingus Scheme Conventional training, or MPL?

sammyduke
15th Sep 2014, 23:11
@EIMech: Thanks for the information! Do you know whether Aer Lingus follows the JAA rules or the new EASA rules (from 2013)?

Lufthansa for example changed its rules according to the new EASA guidelines so that applicants with astigmatism exceeding 2 dioptres still get a chance..

Pravin1
16th Sep 2014, 04:41
Hey guys, am I eligible to apply if I'm from Singapore?

pilotchute
16th Sep 2014, 05:14
Are you eligible to live and work in the Republic of Ireland without restriction (i.e. EU Passport Holder or Non-EEA Citizen holding Stamp 4) ?
Yes
No

After a search of about 30 seconds Pravin it appears you are not.

Sorry!

Citationcj2
16th Sep 2014, 08:55
Does anyone know, is the Aer Lingus Scheme Conventional training, or MPL?
Normal training, not MPL

rusty_jumbo
16th Sep 2014, 12:12
Howdy Guys - Small piece of advice for the application, given that they ask for a C in ordinary level maths, what should you put in if you got a D1 in Higher Level Maths?

Given that there is no option to indicate it is higher level maths?

Snakedoc
16th Sep 2014, 14:32
I got an immediate rejection email, I have all my exams and A levels and have A's in both English and maths at gcse. I'm a PPL with 84 hours, anyone else get turned down with a PPL? I can't make sense of it

Fostex
16th Sep 2014, 14:40
Snackdoc, how did you enter your subjects into the available boxes?

Leaving cert subjects = A-levels.
Higher level subjects = GCSESs.

The problem here is that 1 leavers cert subject = 2/3 A-level. Did you scale your numbers appropriately. Most science/engineering orientated people ( I hold an MEng degree ) did not take English at A-level!

All very ambiguous, I emailed FTE for some advice, but so far have received nothing.

HowlinIrishWolf
16th Sep 2014, 15:08
Fostex - it is indeed all very ambiguous.

Hopefully someone from Jerez will reply to me to clarify on this exact problem. What are the UK equivalents to Leaving Certificates!?

hazholmes
16th Sep 2014, 15:43
Snakedoc,

Automatic rejection from me also. PPL 83hrs. No A-levels, studying higher qualifications though so not quite sure how it works. Emailed FTE also, no response as of yet, I imagine they have been inundated.

PPRuNeUser0207
16th Sep 2014, 19:56
Hi all,

Firstly I would like to say how delighted I am that Aer Lingus has decided to reopen the Cadetship this year. As noted earlier its a shame that there are not more schemes such as this one from airlines.

I recently applied for this scheme last Sunday, answering the initial questions. Luckily I have a solid enough Leaving Certificate however, I do not have a PPL.

There seem to be many questions being asked that can be simply answered but reading the important information here (http://www.ftejerez.com/terms-aerlingus/21) before swamping FTE. :ok:

Finally, I wish everybody the very best and looking forward to possibly catching up at some of the assessment days (fingers crossed) :)

aibkaresz
16th Sep 2014, 20:07
Well, I'm facing a quite exciting problem, I hope anyone can help me :)

I am from Hungary and here we are exiting the high school at the age of 18 (usually), and doing a final exam of 5 subjects after 12 years of school (primary + high school). So how can I translate this to the requirements on the application site? I already got rejected so I won't apply on the site again, probably because I did it the wrong way. I have 100 hrs TT, just started ATPL, no exams yet, and I will get a university degree in January.

Do you think I still have a chance?

Fostex
17th Sep 2014, 12:30
The educational criteria are listed as;

Educational criteria:

You must hold a Leaving Certificate or equivalent with a minimum of 6 subjects which must include the following:

Therefore if you for example are hold 3-4 A-levels as in the norm after leaving secondary school in the UK then you will fail their criteria and be rejected if you do a direct 1-1 translation.

I have emailed FTE about the above but have yet to receive a reply.

DanielBirdB744
17th Sep 2014, 13:38
I have also emailed them today to ask what the interpretation on British qualifications are, with no reply yet. It seems quite confusing with the conversion of Irish qualifications to ours.

tonybhoy96
17th Sep 2014, 15:59
Future Pilot Programme - Future Pilot - Share your passion (http://www.britishairways.com/careers/futurepilot/aboutYou.shtml)

There is a qualification equivalent section at the bottom of this page which could help clear up any uncertainties.

PID
17th Sep 2014, 16:13
I didn't receive a rejection but nor did I receive a successful response, until I checked my Junk mail a day or so after! So I seem to have passed the first part, just submitted my answers. Please check your junk mail if you think you haven't received anything yet.

PPRuNeUser0207
17th Sep 2014, 16:39
Goodluck PID, hopefully we both make it to the next stage in Dublin.

HowlinIrishWolf
17th Sep 2014, 17:34
Doesn't this clear it up? Welcome to the Aer Lingus 2014 Cadet Pilot Training Programme | FTEJerez (http://www.ftejerez.com/terms-aerlingus/21)

Educational criteria:

I think they may be muddled up themselves.

Who has 6 A levels? Really?

To me, it looks like Leaving Certificate means GCSE (I have 10 all above C). And the Two higher level subjects are the A level equivalents.

Give me strength, it's so annoying and I haven't had a reply from Jerez yet.

B77L
17th Sep 2014, 19:08
@Sammyduke

"You must be able to obtain an EASA IAA issued Class 1 Medical. It is important to refer to www.iaa.ie prior to application to ensure you can meet all medical requirements in line with eyesight/colour blindness limitations"

Page 186 onwards: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:311:0001:0193:EN:PDF

sammyduke
18th Sep 2014, 00:00
@B77L: Thank you for the information!!

Does that mean that applicants with astigmatism of -4,0 have a chance now (or is there no difference to the JAR rules)? I have read p. 186 ff. but there is nothing written about the dioptre requirements..

EI-mech
18th Sep 2014, 03:59
"(h) Applicants with:
(1) astigmatism;
(2) anisometropia;
may be assessed as fit subject to satisfactory ophthalmic evaluation."

I read that as "it's up to the doctor!"

If the person who examines your eyesight thinks that you can see well enough then you're ok!

Seems pretty vague.

B77L
18th Sep 2014, 18:13
Hi Sammyduke, as EI-mech stated, it's pretty vague indeed. However, the lack of any limitation on dioptres may also mean, either you see or you don't ;)

36000ft
19th Sep 2014, 10:19
Morning all,

Has anyone submitted the essay questions yet and if so, did you get an email advising they have received them?

I submitted my essay questions but haven't heard anything back to confirm it's been received.

Apologies if this is trivial, I just know the sheer volume of traffic hitting these airlines/training schools IT systems has caused problems in the past.

Many thanks

Officer Kite
19th Sep 2014, 10:35
I think it's normal 36000ft, I didn't receive anything after it either.

mackoi
19th Sep 2014, 11:12
Hi!!

One more willing to apply.

First I introduce myself: I am a 30 year old spanish with a PPL (53 TT), a bachelors degree in air navigation and a masters degree in aeronautical engineering.

I've been doing a research to find out what is the equivalency of the leaving certificate in spain and it seems to be the baccalaureate (age 16-18 course that gives access to uni). However, the spanish system does not consider how many subjects a student takes and there are not ordinary or higher levels neither. At this point I don't know how many subjects I could say I have in my "equivalent" leaving certificate.

Despite I emailed FTE about this and they replied, they did not provide an answer to this question, they just said that I comply with all the requirements and encouraged me to apply. Also, I contacted the education department of Ireland, but the guy who should bring a bit of light is on holidays.

Any clue?

pilotchute
19th Sep 2014, 12:33
Mackoi,

Just fill in the application with whatever the minimum education requirements are. At some point you will have to submit a copy of your certificate and if they deem it acceptable you will progress. If not you will not!

mackoi
20th Sep 2014, 08:43
Thanks for the reply. I will do some last checks and commit the application form soon.

nalt24
20th Sep 2014, 09:11
well, they forgot to write in the requirements "only Irish citizens" but they did not, they try to make up their actual discrimination . Seriously guys, if you are not Irish do not lose your time with this scheme. The 100 % of the cadets of the last programmes were Irish...don΄t think this is going to change

Officer Kite
20th Sep 2014, 09:29
Aer Lingus do hire people of other nationalities however it is to be expected that those successful will most likely be Irish. This isn't due to discrimination however, having met many cadets from the bafpp I also find they consist mostly of British people. The reason for this is an Irish person is more likely to stay with Aer Lingus for their entire careers, they don't want British people getting the hours then running off to BA or spanish people running off to Iberia etc. An Irish person is also more likely to mean it when they say they have always wanted to fly for aer lingus because it is their national carrier. Having someone from germany saying they have always wanted to fly for aer lingus and they've never even lived in dublin but suddenly want to move their life to ireland is questionable ! I doubt I would be hired for any national carrier for similar reasons anywhere outside the UK and Ireland.

southernjock
20th Sep 2014, 09:53
Nalt24 - I don't know where you got your information on the previous or current cadet schemes being 100% Irish but it is simply incorrect?!

I can assure you that there are currently non Irish cadets in this scheme completing training their training at FTE.

speed_alive_rotate
20th Sep 2014, 10:19
I couldn't agree with every last word of Officer Kite's last post any more. Might sound like favouritism but every national carrier prefers their own nationals. The exceptions to the rule lie with the LCC. Can assure you FR don't show any favouritism towards Irish at all!!!

TrueMagnetic
20th Sep 2014, 10:33
Hi folks!
I'm terribly sorry if I just missed something somewhere but I can't seem to find what happens with the price of the A320 TR..? Is that included in the 100k?

Thanks

Lockheed_Blackbird
20th Sep 2014, 11:07
yes sir 100k€ is the total price, you pay "approximately" 25% according to their terms. Then you'll be scheduled on a 320 TR course at the end of the FTE training. I believe EI pays the TR.

B77L
20th Sep 2014, 12:52
An Irish person is also more likely to mean it when they say they have always wanted to fly for aer lingus because it is their national carrier. Having someone from germany saying they have always wanted to fly for aer lingus and they've never even lived in dublin but suddenly want to move their life to ireland is questionable ! .

I do think that nobody means it...all the Irish guys who won't pass the selection are likely to say the very same words to anybody else.
Honestly, I wouldn't ever say stuff like that, even if I had the chance to apply to my flag carrier. Just my opinion, though :)

Lockheed_Blackbird
20th Sep 2014, 13:03
yes TR is included

skibur
20th Sep 2014, 14:24
I found this Comparing UK and Irish qualifications (http://www.qualifax.ie/menu_material/Qualifications/Comparison%20with%20UK%20awards%20141206.htm)

but still unsure how to progress with my application...

what have other English applicants put?

wiblywoblywonder
22nd Sep 2014, 15:31
Hi Folks,

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but has anyone any idea about what age AL would consider too old for this? I know there is no age upper limit assigned publicly, but has anyone heard of a cadet circa 30 before? I'm 29 in Dec and wondering am I considered over the hill for a program like this?! My guess is they would opt for the freshers out of school / Uni .... Just wondering !

Fergal10
22nd Sep 2014, 20:56
Not at all. They take a broad mix. And it tends to be a more mature average than other schemes about. It seems they judge on ability alone which is nice!

So chin up. Its not all a kiddies game. I'm 29 and got my break this year.

Edit:
In fact last year when I asked a few EI captains if I was already too old they laughed at the thought.

sammyduke
22nd Sep 2014, 22:16
I sent out an application to Aer Lingus today and received a rejection within a few seconds/minutes.. I had good grades in school and have a M.Sc. in university. Do you think this is a mistake? Shall I try to apply again?

sosu89
23rd Sep 2014, 05:04
sammyduke do you have any flying hours experience?? Because I think the application is backed up with a software which identify whether you qualify or not!!!

mackoi
23rd Sep 2014, 06:45
Probably you filled something wrong. Read carefully the questions and the minimum requirements.

mackoi
23rd Sep 2014, 06:48
sammyduke do you have any flying hours experience?? Because I think the application is backed up with a software which identify whether you qualify or not!!!

According to the published requirements no flight experience is needed, right?
I agree that a software decides if the application moves to the next stage or not.

sammyduke
23rd Sep 2014, 10:23
Do you think I should try again? Or is this an absolute no go?

mackoi
23rd Sep 2014, 11:12
Please note the application system is enabled to recognise multiple applications from the same candidate. You should only make one application.

According to the website it is a no-go, however I would mail FTE, just in case.

v3r
23rd Sep 2014, 11:21
sorry to bring up the leaving certificate / grade issue again...i'm from austria and i literally have NO idea how to convert my grades into what's asked for here.

according to dict.cc, the way i finished school is called GCE-A levels / high school certificate / higher education entrance qualification.

the assassment will be held 13-24OCT acc to FTE Jerez...does it mean (in case you get invited) you'd have to be there all of those days?

TrueMagnetic
23rd Sep 2014, 13:02
you'd have to be there all of those days?
I reckon only for the day(s) that you're interview will be scheduled for. It would be a bit of a luxury if I could just take out 11 days on a weeks notice haha

wiblywoblywonder
23rd Sep 2014, 13:59
vr3,

I see this alot from candidates from countries outside ROI. If you feel you have the necessary educational qualifications or Irish equivalent to the exams you take at 18 years of age in Austria, then put in that you have >6 Leaving Cert subjects and >3 higher level subjects at Leaving Certificate level. Then afterwards if called to an assessment centre you can clarify your grades with them and equivalent from Austrian to Irish.

You can also mail FTE Jerez but my guess is they are inundated with mails regarding grades. If you don't meet the minimum educational req they will send you rejection email straight away.

wiblywoblywonder
23rd Sep 2014, 14:02
Thanks Fergal10,

Good to know. Application is in anyway and we will see where it goes :)

gordonquinn
24th Sep 2014, 03:53
Hey guys,

I received the application successful email and filled in the questions, since then I've not had anything back, are others in the same boat? Or have people heard anything more?

mackoi
24th Sep 2014, 06:10
I filled the questions too. No news so far.

I think we will probably know something after the deadline + 3 days (October 1st). Until then lets be patient.

However, in the last cadet programme (2013), only successful applicants received news.

PPRuNeUser0207
24th Sep 2014, 08:50
There were quite a few complained about the setup during the last scheme, people left waiting and waiting for an email. Personally I think thats why the initial assessment is being run by FTE because AL HR couldn't handle the volume of applications last time. I hope it all run smoothly.

mackoi
24th Sep 2014, 09:39
Hopefully it will.

wiblywoblywonder
24th Sep 2014, 10:31
Amazing when you hit the Submit button on the questions, a rush of genius answers come into your head that you didn't mention !

adf27
24th Sep 2014, 11:19
I know its been asked a load of times already but I'll try again ;)

Under the section "Number of subjects at leaving certificate or equivalents" in the application form, should I put the number of GCSEs, AS levels or A levels I have?

I assume the higher level subjects are A2 levels, is that right?

v3r
24th Sep 2014, 13:49
submitted the initial application yesterday and didn't get any "immediate" rejection / confirmation yet...also checked junk folder. nothing.

weird.

Citationcj2
24th Sep 2014, 15:33
Some people still waiting, 10 days gone, no response, no junk mail, etc.

Apparently as per FTE, they state that the email will be dispatched immediately after the form was submitted, but hey, thats not the case. Loads of people are left in the dark.. :rolleyes:

v3r
24th Sep 2014, 15:39
alrighty, good to know...

Citationcj2
24th Sep 2014, 15:47
http://i62.tinypic.com/518rdf.png

v3r
24th Sep 2014, 16:13
yeah, thats what i got...hope the three days count from the moment you get your confirmation ( in case you get one) and not once you've hit the "submit" button

PPRuNeUser0207
24th Sep 2014, 16:47
It could also be the case they only have so many application spots, that was the case with the BA FPP. I heard about the scheme from a pilot within the company (no relation just friends with his sister) and he told me to apply straight away. May not be the case but if they find their quota of suitable candidates it very well may be so.

sosu89
24th Sep 2014, 19:50
Hi Guys,

Do you know how many cadets are AL looking for ????? Or at least how many were selected last year?????

Cheers

Officer Kite
24th Sep 2014, 20:35
Sosu, 20 max is usually the number.

bsal
25th Sep 2014, 00:01
Last time around they wanted 20 but only had time to pick 17 because it took them so long with the recruitment process.

mackoi
25th Sep 2014, 06:03
And considering that half Europe is applying for the programme, do your numbers.

Probably less than 0,5% of chances.

v3r
25th Sep 2014, 08:22
>>> Probably less than 0,5% of chances.

i'd definitely go with less than that...1 out of 200. assuming there are 20 spots that would statistically make 4000 applications. think it's more like 0,1% :sad:

wiblywoblywonder
25th Sep 2014, 09:14
2500 applications last year I believe, perhaps more this year. My guess would be if you're Irish or UK you have a higher chance seeing as it's the Irish national carrier, and lower if not from there. But who knows.

wiblywoblywonder
25th Sep 2014, 09:34
Is the next step after the long answer written questions attendance in Dublin for aptitude test? I wonder will they run the online aptitude test again this year beforehand? :confused:

mackoi
25th Sep 2014, 09:37
Imagine the guys who should read and assess the answers!! they will become mad.

mackoi
25th Sep 2014, 09:44
Is the next step after the long answer written questions attendance in Dublin for aptitude test? I wonder will they run the online aptitude test again this year beforehand?

I guess that Numerical/Verbal reasoning will be done in Dublin. This kind of test s will be in the process for sure, and after that there should be an interview. My guess:

First Dublin stage: reasoning tests (PILAPT? numerical/verbal/spatial, ....), group tasks, maybe an initial interview?

Second Dublin stage: Interview with Aer Lingus staff? Preliminar medical check?

What surprises me most about the selection is that the schedule is clear since the beginning. And the whole process will take only 3 months since the expected date to start training is in january.

wiblywoblywonder
25th Sep 2014, 09:46
Makes you wonder if they will all be read... Maybe a keyword search or a quick speed read :) Like reading 150 theses lol

wiblywoblywonder
25th Sep 2014, 09:49
Yes I agree... Different this year as the PILAPT test seems to require attendance in Dublin rather than online to weed out more applicants. Great that the schedule is clear though from the start.

I expect them to invite many people seeing as the tests are run over 8 or so days in Dublin

mackoi
25th Sep 2014, 18:22
If we make it to the next stage it would be nice to meet xD

Officer Kite
25th Sep 2014, 19:13
I'm not bothered at all by who gets a place, so long as it's someone who has been desperate to become a pilot and genuinely wants it, not some guy who just saw the facebook post and thought it might be fun. This has happened before, hopefully fte will stop this occurring .

reeko
25th Sep 2014, 19:37
I'll second that Officer Kite. Makes me angry :mad:

PeppyJeppy
25th Sep 2014, 22:49
Officer Kite - I'd agree with that too. I know of someone who did that exact thing and now plans to move back to the industry he previously worked in when his bond is paid off.

Another guy took his first ever flight to get to Jerez to start training :bored:

Officer Kite
25th Sep 2014, 23:12
Oh peppyjeppy that made my blood boil :ugh:

I personally think these kinds of things shouldn't be posted on facebook pages by the airline doing them. This only attracts that type of people. Anybody who has really dreamed of being a pilot and is desperate for it will find out elsewhere before it even gets advertised on facebook, I did and so did many others I know. The comments on the AL post advertising it attracted a whole lot of "tagging" and people commenting "I'll give that a try".When these people are good at hr stuff they stand a very real chance and have gotten on it. I personally think a very large number of people who apply to these things have no heartfelt passion for flying. Let's hope selection does it's job this time round :E

Best of luck to all for whom this would be a dream come true !

EDIT: I actually didn't read the last part of your post properly peppyjeppy, I thought you said he didn't actually fly a plane himself until in jerez. That is an absolute failure on Aer Lingus' part.

mackoi
26th Sep 2014, 06:21
I do agree with you guys, however there is nothing we can do about it. It is the bussiness and the purpose of the selection committee.

ManWithoutSkin
26th Sep 2014, 08:01
Did anyone who met the entry criteria but got an instant rejection get a reply from FTE Jerez about why?

Scimitar123
26th Sep 2014, 08:59
I applied several days ago. No reply of any description. I've also emailed FTE and heard nothing back from there either. I've got nothing in my spam folder and I own, and manage my own email server so I have absolute control over filtering etc and I can confidently say I've not received anything. It would be a shame if the first stage of this process comes down to a spin of the roulette wheel!

mackoi
26th Sep 2014, 10:54
Did you try to call?

PID
26th Sep 2014, 11:56
In regards to FTE replying to the submitted questions, they will most likely reply when the apply online reaches its deadline.

I know it's not exactly the same situation but a friend applied for the BA FPP literally the night before the deadline, he was probably the last applicant! Yet he got called to attend the assessment day. (Made it all the way to the last stage and they withdraw him for unknown reasons - still a mystery! And he's got a Masters in aeronautical engineering with a PPL! Makes me wonder what kind of people Airlines really want).

My point being, it's only fair that they wait until the very last applicant then proceed to notify the successful applicants, they probably already have favourites though.

If they have a limit of 200 people to go Dublin, yet 2000 applied thus far, they would have already selected the 200 people. But does people are not guaranteed until the application closes as there could be someone 'better' that may replace their least favourite of the 200! I hope this makes sense?

ManUtd1999
26th Sep 2014, 14:30
I'm not bothered at all by who gets a place, so long as it's someone who has been desperate to become a pilot and genuinely wants it, not some guy who just saw the facebook post and thought it might be fun. This has happened before, hopefully fte will stop this occurring .

I see you're point but it comes across as a bit bitter. The assessment process isn't just about playing computer games and HR style interviews, a significant chunk is about your motivation. IMO nobody could 'bluff' they're way through when competition is as fierce as it is, they get there on merit.

Fire_fly
26th Sep 2014, 18:10
I don't know about this case but in a lot of companies I've seen the whole "we want someone who is passionate about the role and the industry" is a load of codswallop they put in their public statements. I know of several people who've fallen into positions on the basis of other criteria when others who would really love such a role have been rejected.

Not saying that will be the case here but I've seen it in a plethora of cases before although there are a lot of stages to this process to hopefully prevent that.

The online question things though can totally be gamed by people who are familiar with it and can flop for those who aren't into the whole application jargon thing.

Hagop
26th Sep 2014, 20:45

Officer Kite, you nailed it on the head as I know someone like this who's now flying an A330...

Officer Kite
26th Sep 2014, 22:09
ManUtd1999 you have misunderstood me if you think I'm being bitter. I'm anything but ! I admire these opportunities for one reason, they give those with a heartfelt passion and dream to become a pilot (but don't have the cash) the chance to achieve their dream. How can you possibly be happy when people who couldn't have cared less about aviation get chosen, mainly because they're good at the HR talk. I've gotten quite far in a few selection processes and after the initial aptitude tests, all you have to do is try convey interest in aviation (not difficult) and then the HR nonsense is the main thing that gets you in, nothing to do with a passion for aviation whatsoever.

PPRuNeUser0207
27th Sep 2014, 12:22
The main questions is has anybody received a "yes" for the assessment day?:8

Officer Kite
27th Sep 2014, 13:06
No jumpseat, sure they can't decide until they've seen everyone. Expect nothing until at least a few days after the closing date.

Runner233
27th Sep 2014, 15:48
Regarding people being accepted without a true passion to fly and talking bs when asked in the interview 'why you want to be a pilot' is incredibly frustrating! Like myself, I'm sure all of you grew up with your eyes turned skyward and we should be the ones getting into airline programmes!

It's unfortunate but I guess your always going to get those people who never really had any motivation at school and suddenly want to become a pilot after seeing an advert on fb. We have to be positive though and show aer lingus that we will be better pilots!

reeko
27th Sep 2014, 16:53
Motivating post there Runner233.

I feel the same way. If we can get past the initial stages I'm sure that those with a true passion will stand out!

On other news am I the only one constantly checking my emails?

BAe 146-100
27th Sep 2014, 20:09
It's unfortunate but I guess your always going to get those people who never really had any motivation at school and suddenly want to become a pilot after seeing an advert on fb. We have to be positive though and show aer lingus that we will be better pilots!

There is no scientific proof that if you wanted to be a pilot from a young age versus stumbling across the advertisement and decided to apply, you will be any better in training or have better aptitude for the skills in which the job demands. That is a myth.

Hagop
27th Sep 2014, 20:58
There is no scientific proof that if you wanted to be a pilot from a young age versus stumbling across the advertisement and decided to apply, you will be any better in training or have better aptitude for the skills in which the job demands. That is a myth.

BAe 146-100,

No one mentioned that the ones with passion are more successful in training. It's just really annoying to see someone who does not possess any interest towards aviation nor has any idea about a plane flies, to get caught by an advert on FB, and be offered a place on the scheme, while other applicants whose eyes turned always skyward, willing to do anything for the sake of flying, not to have the opportunity to make some dreams come true.

Alexruk1
27th Sep 2014, 21:55
Does anyone know roughly how many people will get to go to the initial Dublin assessment?

G-F0RC3
27th Sep 2014, 22:03
And he's got a Masters in aeronautical engineering with a PPL! Makes me wonder what kind of people Airlines really want).

Of the six BA cadets on my course, three have done aerospace engineering at uni, two have PPLs, and the other has a solid amount of flying experience. All are passionate about flying and for them this is their dream come true. It sounds like your friend fits the mould nicely, so whatever the reason for him not making it was, it certainly wasn't because of his degree or PPL.

Good luck to all applying for the Aer Lingus scheme. :ok:

Runner233
28th Sep 2014, 01:30
BAe 146-100,

I never said that people who have wanted to be pilots since a young age will be better pilots and I do agree that having a strong interest in flying does NOT imply you will be better than anyone else who does not - there are too many factors to consider and that's why airlines have very skilled and well trained HR employees.

I said you have to show aer lingus that you will be a better pilot which is completely and clearly different to the above. This is why you completed an application and wrote about previous experiences, it's why you will answer questions about your experiences and motivation in an interview and it's why you will do a pilot aptitude test...

G-forc3,

How is training at FTE going so far? Must be really enjoyable!

G-F0RC3
28th Sep 2014, 08:45
G-forc3,

How is training at FTE going so far? Must be really enjoyable!

All going well after the first two weeks, thanks for asking. The subjects are very interesting but there's a lot to cover so we'll need to work hard. :)

erpeor
28th Sep 2014, 16:56
No more applications accepted. Good luck everyone

mackoi
28th Sep 2014, 17:46
Good luck to everyone.

Hopefully the first news will be heard in 3 days.

Officer Kite
28th Sep 2014, 18:01
May the best aviators win :E

PPRuNeUser0207
29th Sep 2014, 10:49
See you all in Dublin (hopefully) :ok:

reeko
29th Sep 2014, 11:15
Fingers crossed. :O

wiblywoblywonder
29th Sep 2014, 14:14
fingers crossed for sure :O... I hope I don't bow out at this stage though, I'd love to get a crack at the actual various assessments & interview(s) in Dublin and see how far I can get through them! Would be very interesting experience ))

reeko
30th Sep 2014, 17:16
I know it's early days but has anyone received anything yet?

Alexruk1
30th Sep 2014, 17:56
The 28th was the initial application cut off and you are allowed 3 days to send the questions back in. So that would probably mean the earliest would be the 1st October before anyone finds out :)

Captain Bradley
30th Sep 2014, 18:06
Nope, still waiting

reeko
30th Sep 2014, 19:53
So fingered crossed for anything tomorrow......

mackoi
1st Oct 2014, 06:05
Today the window opens, let's wait for that e-mail or call. :rolleyes:

aibkaresz
1st Oct 2014, 09:19
Checking my mailbox every minute :)

(And of course this thread every second minute, if anyone recieved an invitation haha)

v3r
1st Oct 2014, 09:27
dont think the first invitations will be sent today...imagine how long it takes to go through all of these answers.

but yeah, also waiting here:}

/edit: btw FTE jerez looks fun indeed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3BQGcW4Smk

wiblywoblywonder
1st Oct 2014, 09:53
Yes a huge amount of answers to go through. In my opinion they could be shortlisted by software doing a keyword search for what they require. But that's just a thought. It would take days / weeks to go through all of those answers word for word. :hmm:

PID
1st Oct 2014, 10:08
Not really, like I said before, I doubt they will wait until the application closes to then read the 2000+ applications! they would be reading and choosing their favourites already. Then once it closes, they will read the remaining applications and see how they stand from their favourites. In other words, they already know if you have passed or not:cool:

I just hope they reply quickly as it may be difficult to get days off work in short notice! Even though I'm willing to drop everything to go into the assessment!

Shamrocks
1st Oct 2014, 16:36
Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate if anybody has any details on the self-funded portion of the Aer Lingus Cadetship and if you know how it works, would you mind posting the details on this forum, thanks.

It is very clear from the Aer Lingus careers section that any successful applicant will have to pay roughly 25% of the FTE Jerez training costs.

The reason I ask is because on other forums there are all sorts of different stories on the matter and I would like to find out which one is true. I have read that this 25% self funded portion could be paid through pay-roll deductions once you start as an F/O on the airbus and I have also heard that you simply need to have 30 grand in hard cash before you even start the cadetship (alright for some people but not everyone has this money nowadays).

I feel this point is important and needs to be raised as lots of people applying could do it if the 25% is taken out of your wages where as on the other hand if you have to pay 25-30k up front or in 5 instalments to FTE Jerez then there is no point in wasting €240 to attend an assessment for a job you cannot afford if that makes sense. I know some people have jobs and can get a loan for 30k or the parents might give them 30k but I think most young lads and girls would struggle to get 10K of a Bank these days.

Thanks for anyone who can clarify this point. Perhaps a current cadet or ex-cadet could comment please. Cheers

G-VCED
1st Oct 2014, 20:43
Also, isn't the currency in €?

25% of €100,000

Therefore €25,000 = roughly £19,500

Sharklet7
1st Oct 2014, 20:59
Hi there,

With regards to the funding I believe that the successful applicants are required to have the 25k up front and ready to give to the flight school.

This was the case last year, and in addition to this there was also salary sacrifices as Aer Lingus only paid for half the course last time. This may have resulted in this confusion on other boards etc perhaps.

So as far as I know we will have to pay the 25,000 euro upfront and we await details as to if there will be salary sacrifices aswell.

I hope this helps....

Officer Kite
1st Oct 2014, 21:09
The funding appears to be different this year. There is definitely E25000 required up front. Having read last years description of it I believe one of the differences this year is that the E25000 in 5 installments is all you will need, unlike previous years it was E25000 to start with then a further E25000 by means of salary reduction.

I'm still undecided as to whether I should pay the 240 to go assessment as the competition is looking to be the fiercest out of the other programmes and my young age will go against me with AL - if I get through that is.

G-VCED
1st Oct 2014, 23:18
It isn't clear if the remaining €75,000 will be deducted from your salary.

I'm guessing it will be.

I know the initial €25,000 will be taken from you in 5 instalments - as per the FAQ.

As for the above I'd go to the assessment if offered, you have nothing to lose other than €240.

Officer Kite
1st Oct 2014, 23:33
The other 75000 is paid for by AL, there is no salary reduction unlike previous years.

I agree with going to the assessment for the experience, the issue is that coming up with 240 in such a short space of time will be difficult. You're probably wondering why I applied, well I had the money at the time then some unexpected payments came up and I've been left short :(

mackoi
2nd Oct 2014, 08:02
I think that the budget should be greater than 25k€. Expect extra costs like the medical, flying home for holidays, activities during the training, transport, hanging out and a margin for unexpected costs.

By the way, for those who finally manage to get into AL, what's the salary for a a cadet the first two years? (including deductions if any) In other schemes the salary in the first months is not enough to live, then you have to budget for that too.

reeko
2nd Oct 2014, 08:31
I was under the impression that E25000 (approx £20,000) is required in five phased installments payable to FTE. Upon joining AL your are on a bond. Now whether that means a bond to repay the company through means of employment at a reduced salary or a bond to refund the money AL has invested should you leave early I am unsure...

However looking from PJN it would seem that there is a sacrifice of salary upon employment as a 'cadet'. But this could be outdated. Officer Kite can you say where you have found this information from?

In any event the selection fee is a small amount in the grand scheme of things.

EZY_FR
2nd Oct 2014, 08:50
Not sure if this has been posted already, but I was told by the head of training of FTE at the FDE event that 6000 people applied for 12 places... The odds are even lower than the FPP.

Officer Kite
2nd Oct 2014, 09:17
Upon applying there was the option to read the faq section, in that section all of these questions were answered. You pay 25000 in 5 installments, then you are bonded with Aer Lingus for 7 years. If you leave before the 7 years are up you are required to pay back another chunk of the training costs. PPJN is outdated in for many airlines, considering this year AL have a different financing scheme it's highly unlikely to be correct.

reeko
2nd Oct 2014, 10:17
From the T's & C's it states:

"If you are subsequently offered a First Officer position with Aer Lingus, your training bond will be cancelled and you will be required to sign an employment bond. This employment bond will only be enforced should you leave Aer Lingus within a 5 year period. The amount due reduces over the term of the bond."

Whats the different financing scheme compared to last year?

Officer Kite
2nd Oct 2014, 10:25
In previous years you paid 25000 in 5 installments, then another 25000 was taken via reduced salary. This year it is only 25000 through 5 installments, no reduced salary, AL clearly stated in the faq section that they will fund 75%.

reeko
2nd Oct 2014, 10:57
Oh okay last year I though it was the same as this year.

Good spot! Glad the industry is starting to pick up again. Though the wait is killing me :ugh:

Bungusbeefcake
2nd Oct 2014, 11:59
Does anyone know if Aer Lingus are helping people secure a loan for the 25000? Or anything like that?

mackoi
2nd Oct 2014, 12:55
Jeeeez, the clock is running. 11 days until the first day of assessment in Dublin and no news so far.

It will be difficult to plan the trip for those who don't live in Dublin, (days off at work + flights + accomodation).

reeko
2nd Oct 2014, 13:05
Bungusbeefcake, I don't believe so.

I seem to recall the FAQ section saying you must have the funds available to commit to the programme, or something to that effect.

Mackoi, hopefully we should have something by the end if the week...

aibkaresz
2nd Oct 2014, 13:08
Mackoi, as far as i can recall, flights are inclusive. (Does not solve the work + accomodation problem, but sounds way better :)). Correct me if i'm wrong

mackoi
2nd Oct 2014, 13:21
Mackoi, as far as i can recall, flights are inclusive. (Does not solve the work + accomodation problem, but sounds way better ). Correct me if i'm wrong

During the selection process? I knew that during training AL will provide the cadets with a flight home once a year or something similar, but until then I thought that all the costs associated with the selection process are paid by the candidate.

From Barcelona looks like Ryanair is the best option since the other carriers operate at midday. I always avoided Ryanair, .... (sshhhhhh Ryanair owns a good part of AL :}). Anyway, we are still waiting for the magic e-mail, so I'm only planning in advance just in case.

aibkaresz
2nd Oct 2014, 13:32
Yes you are probably right, this made me a bit worried though :D waiting kills me too:ugh:

wiblywoblywonder
2nd Oct 2014, 13:39
Dublin assessments are ongoing to the 24th, so it's possible some of us may not hear until next Friday 10th if we are called up or not.

For those regularly entering cadet schemes I'm sure you're used to the waiting time :) AL do not provide flights to / accom in DUB.

aibkaresz
2nd Oct 2014, 14:12
I am just wondering about an other thing. Do we have any info about the approximate number of applicants invited to Dublin?

mackoi
2nd Oct 2014, 14:14
Well, its 12 days. If we assume 2 sessions per day with 30 to 50 people in each session that results in: 700 to 1200 people in the first assessment.

Just guessing ...

Shamrocks
2nd Oct 2014, 18:07
I wish one of the cadets or ex-cadets reading would post a reply about the 25K. I don't want to spend 240 for an assessment to find out later I cannot get a loan for 25K but if aer lingus help you get the loan then I would risk 240 on assessment.

Please guys, I know you read these forums.. Just tell us how the 25K works. Just register on pprune as a new anonymous poster and tell us how it works. Thanks

Airbus Airhead
3rd Oct 2014, 08:00
Does anyone have the dates of when the assessments will run please

funkyt111
3rd Oct 2014, 08:19
I do wonder whether people have even bothered to read the Aer Lingus page on the FTE website at all? Most the information is on this website...

With regards to the loan, I can say with a high degree of certainty that Aer Lingus DO NOT provide/secure the loan.

wiblywoblywonder
3rd Oct 2014, 09:03
Shamrocks I don't think a bank will have a problem lending you 25K if you have a secured cadetship with Aer Lingus. In fairness €240 is a small price to pay in relation to that. For foreign potential cadets they have to fund flights / accom on top of that so they wont have much change from €500 from the trip if they get called.

mackoi
3rd Oct 2014, 09:59
And for the foreigners if we make it to the second assessment in Dublin we should pay double flights/accomodation.

By the way, no news so far ....

wiblywoblywonder
3rd Oct 2014, 10:02
And at short notice Aer Lingus or Ryanair won't be cheap :eek:

mackoi
3rd Oct 2014, 10:23
Indeed, that is one of the reasons why I am worried. We need to know if we will be in Dublin as soon as possible to plan the trip.

wiblywoblywonder
3rd Oct 2014, 10:36
When you put it like that, approx. €500 / €600 is a very expensive entry fee for something which is extremely hard to get. People not living in Ireland that is. Sorry don't mean to be negative at all, just saying as is.

mackoi
3rd Oct 2014, 10:44
Just realistic.

PPRuNeUser0207
3rd Oct 2014, 11:41
Still not a peep, my guess is it'll be mid next week before we hear anything :ugh:

And as regards funding of the 25,000 it was made pretty clear from reading all the provided information you must secure it yourself!

wiblywoblywonder
3rd Oct 2014, 11:52
Just say they bring 500 potential cadets for assessment...

€240 * 500 = €120,000. I think that will more than cover the price of the assessment !!!!!!! :)

36000ft
3rd Oct 2014, 12:11
Come on folks, yes it's easy to focus on the cost of the assessment but you've got to keep focused and realise the commitment the airline are making in investing all that money into your training! Something 99% of the other airlines are avoiding! This is a truly fantastic scheme and all your efforts should be applied to mastering the skills for the assessment, not trying to talk yourself out of it due to the costs affiliated!

:O We're all in this together, let's make it happen! :ok:

PID
3rd Oct 2014, 12:13
Gents - joining the aviation industry is expensive anyway. So if you want to join,you must be prepared to spend a significant amount of money in certain areas that have no choice! Of course making wise decisions is key. But for e.g. Medical is £350, then renewal fee, if you go by loan, BBVA fees are around £1,200! any integrated assessment whether by airline scheme or not is around £250.

We just need to think positively (and realistically too!). If we get selected for an assessment, we can't be intimidated by the competition, because if they selected you for an assessment, you already are much closer to get the position than all the others who got rejected. Therefore all we have to do is give our best! It's also an experience (an expensive one I know!). But a worth one.

I'm far from rich and I live in the UK. If they call me, it will come off my pocket!

Sharklet7
3rd Oct 2014, 15:43
JUST RECEIVED AN INVITE :O

36000ft
3rd Oct 2014, 15:47
Dublin here we come! Over the moon

reeko
3rd Oct 2014, 15:58
And me. See you there! :)

VLT_029
3rd Oct 2014, 16:07
What dates are your invites for?

Not received anything yet? Should I panic?

Quiet
3rd Oct 2014, 16:18
Invites by phone or email?

newb1112
3rd Oct 2014, 16:30
Invites by email.

Interesting they have asked to email FTE back confirming you did meet the equivalent grades if you didn't take the Irish leaving certificate when you left school.

Completely different to last year. Was all done by AL in house.

student_student
3rd Oct 2014, 16:41
Hello!

Does anyone know some cheap hotels near the Dublin Airport?
Let's say, maximum 30 minutes of walking from the Airport.

I find Radisson Blu from Dublin Airport expensive; and the reviews are not good.

FO_DJ
3rd Oct 2014, 16:54
Do we have any indication on how many days they will spread the invites out to?
Presumably those on the later assessment dates may not yet receive an invite? Or perhaps they're all sent at once?

Quiet
3rd Oct 2014, 17:05
Assessment is from the 13th to the 24th October inclusive. This might just be blind hope but I noticed that all posters on here that are through to the assessment day are from UK and NI so far.....perhaps they're informing those that need to travel first?

marcoBCN
3rd Oct 2014, 17:15
Metro Hotel! Free shuttle to/from the airport :D

mackoi
3rd Oct 2014, 17:23
:{:{ I think I will start with a 1kg ice cream antidepressive chocolate. :{:\:\

Quiet
3rd Oct 2014, 17:28
Nobody needs to panic yet. Last time it took at least two weeks for them to contact the people that were through to this stage. I understand that it's being run by FTE this time but they still need to schedule several hundred candidates. I imagine there will be plenty more invites next week.

Officer Kite
3rd Oct 2014, 17:36
Just got my invite, I find it strange they chose DCU for the assessments (where I happen to be studying). Perhaps Aer Lingus HQ can't give up they're offices for 2 weeks like previous years.

VLT_029
3rd Oct 2014, 17:38
Is the assessment a whole day one?

What time does it start?

Interested to find out some more details from people that have received their invites.

aibkaresz
3rd Oct 2014, 18:35
Mackoi, nothing in my inbox, so:
1) we both need to keep going on with our normal plans
2) we will get it later :)

Officer Kite
3rd Oct 2014, 19:58
I could have sworn we were told the assessment fee was gonna be 240e, does anyone know why it's saying 255 ?

InformationAlpha
3rd Oct 2014, 20:48
Should it be presumed that all of the invites have been sent out? Mindful of other sources detailing a 'large cull' and 'less' than the original 200 figure through to the next stage? Can that conclusion be reached?

Quiet
3rd Oct 2014, 21:15
This is just my personal opinion, but if doubt they would cut the numbers so low having just asked HR type questions. I could be wrong, but if feel that the aptitude/pilapt stuff holds more weighting and by taking less than 200 people, they would be seriously limiting the pool before they even check if any of the candidates have the aptitude to be a pilot in the first place!

Again, it's just my opinion, I have no clue about the process. I just don't think that's the most rational approach.

Officer Kite
3rd Oct 2014, 21:45
Hold in there mponse, I think they may be doing it in order of application. I applied and had the questions in within the first 3 days of the opening date. I have subsequently been given an assessment for the very first day. I think they may want to give everyone equal time between invitation and assessment day.
For example, I have little more than a week to prepare, whereas to give somebody who isn't down to be assessed until the very last day of the process (3 weeks away) an invitation now wouldn't be fair, as they would have over 3 weeks to prepare for it whereas I only have 1 week to prepare.

I hope that makes sense :)

bmal
3rd Oct 2014, 21:50
Check your junk mail folder- my invitation to assessment was in there...

PPRuNeUser0207
3rd Oct 2014, 23:09
To all who have received invites I wish you all the very best of luck and see you in DCU (quite easy for me also ;) )

Anybody who has not received an invite, check your email very carefully, spam, trash, the works. It's not over until you actually get a "no". :ok:

Let two weeks of prep and constant study begin, probably the best opportunity for people with the dream, ambition and motivation but not the :ugh:funding:ugh:.

Good luck to all, see you soon.

LIFFY4E
4th Oct 2014, 08:24
Just got my invitation to interview and assessment. As JumpSeat_M said above, check your junk mail, that's where I found mine! :)

aibkaresz
4th Oct 2014, 08:54
Did you recieve it this morning or yesterday?

Loveforflight
4th Oct 2014, 09:07
Does anyone traveling to Dublin know/have found any affordable accommodation around DCU please? Perhaps anyone familiar with the area could propose a good place to stay overnight please?

Many thanks

LIFFY4E
4th Oct 2014, 09:11
I received it yesterday in my junk mail. I hadn't checked my junk until I read this thread again and looked last night and it was there.

I reckon more will be sent out during next week. Best of luck :)

VLT_029
4th Oct 2014, 11:38
Anyone applied close to the closing date and has received an invite yet?

4th Oct 2014, 14:39
Hi guys,
For those you have received an invitation is for which dates? I havent received an invitation yet. I have applied for commencing the assessment the second week.
Do you know if anymore invitations will go out?

Thanks.

PPRuNeUser0207
5th Oct 2014, 01:10
@Loveforflight Look for a B&B maybe in the Santry area, there are a few hotels out near EIDW and some accommodation in Ballymun (very close to the university).

I find it strange that they have chosen DCU personally as there aren't any immediate hotels.

At least if it was being hosted within a hotel those who have traveled long distances would have had somewhere to get their head down for the night without having to worry about the uncertainty of the duration of their commute.

So your best bet is Swords/Santry/Ballymun as its the easiest side to access the University, through the Collins Avenue entrance.

For those who are driving please be careful about where you park in DCU. Use the multi-story if necessary as security might clamp you otherwise, the two overground car-parks are only accessible with a valid student card (lucky for me :D)

Use the collins avenue entrance if you are driving to gain entry to the multi-story, the rates and more info can be for on the Universities website.

sosu89
5th Oct 2014, 06:50
Could it be that the first call was focused for the Irish citizens???? And in reality guys do you think that who come from outside Ireland (excluding UK) have any chance to success???

Because although I have passion for flying and I have just started my ppl course, I am still undecided whether I shall spend more than €600 just to have a wonderful experience without any success. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyone comments about my thoughts :sad::sad:

speed_alive_rotate
5th Oct 2014, 07:12
To be honest I would be very surprised if over 95% of the candidates are not Irish in the end. As stated before all national carriers are going to favour their national residents, you only have to look at BA and Lufthansa etc...

Loveforflight
5th Oct 2014, 07:21
Many Thanks, that's very helpful @JumpSeat_M

Officer Kite
5th Oct 2014, 11:33
Having seen many of the cadets from previous years it is fair to say the vast majority are Irish, and a trickle from the UK. There is however no official evidence that preference is given to Irish nationals. I wouldn't like to be seen discouraging anyone from attending, however if you're coming half way across the continent, missing work etc and paying a fortune in the meantime I would certainly be giving it some hard thought.

If you think it is for you, then I would seriously focus on trying to convince the AL team that you are not just using them as a means of learning to fly and then running off once the bond is over. I've said this before, they are more likely to go for an Irish person imho simply because they will more than likely stay and pay back their dues to the company !

36000ft
5th Oct 2014, 12:36
Happy Sunday all,

Just a quick question, I note in the invitation to interview email that FTE sent out recently, they list the tasks we will complete as part of the assessment however there is no mention of any PILAPT tests?

Apologies if this has been answered but are we to assume no joystick/hand-eye/SCAN etc?

Many thanks :ok:

InformationAlpha
5th Oct 2014, 13:54
Does anyone think all the invites are sent out?

Sharklet7
5th Oct 2014, 14:23
I can't see all the invites having been sent already. I think all invites sent are for first couple days just. Unless anyone here wants to prove me wrong and has a later date of assessment?

The invites are going out in batches to allow for fair time to each applicant and allows for rescheduling should a date no longer suit anyone.

Hope that makes sense?

Anyone any ideas of expected numbers on each day?

I think the numbers at this stage may be less than first imagined.

mackoi
5th Oct 2014, 15:04
Having seen many of the cadets from previous years it is fair to say the vast majority are Irish, and a trickle from the UK. There is however no official evidence that preference is given to Irish nationals. I wouldn't like to be seen discouraging anyone from attending, however if you're coming half way across the continent, missing work etc and paying a fortune in the meantime I would certainly be giving it some hard thought.

If you think it is for you, then I would seriously focus on trying to convince the AL team that you are not just using them as a means of learning to fly and then running off once the bond is over. I've said this before, they are more likely to go for an Irish person imho simply because they will more than likely stay and pay back their dues to the company !

Yep, looks like ....

Shame Iberia or any other spanish carriers will not open an sponsored scheme like this never.

For us it is a lack of options, not a choice actually. :ugh: . Even with other schemes like EasyJet it is not possible since they request the candidate to pay a huge amount of money (~140k€ the last time with CTC) and offer a ridiculous salary for the first years, not even enough to live, don't even consider if you need a loan.

For today strawberries or cookies and cream?

Officer Kite
5th Oct 2014, 18:44
Don't give up mackoi, certainly if this is your dream ! Try to analyse all options, maybe modular ? Of course everyone is in a completely different situation with regards to finances so it's hard to give personal advice on the open forums. For those without a penny, all I can advise is to work as hard as possible in whatever you're doing now and keep saving ! Maybe do modular on the side or save up for an integrated scheme. :ok:

lorenzo matrix
6th Oct 2014, 07:30
Hi Marco.. I see we are from the same area in Italy.. did u get an invitation? I applied on the last days available but had no answer yet.

mackoi
6th Oct 2014, 07:54
Don't give up mackoi, certainly if this is your dream ! Try to analyse all options, maybe modular ? Of course everyone is in a completely different situation with regards to finances so it's hard to give personal advice on the open forums. For those without a penny, all I can advise is to work as hard as possible in whatever you're doing now and keep saving ! Maybe do modular on the side or save up for an integrated scheme.

I analysed the situation a thousand times. I have enough money to go modular, yes; but that's not the problem. The real challenge is finding the first job, one that can pay your bills. This is the real value of the sponsored programmes.

wiblywoblywonder
6th Oct 2014, 10:34
Congrats to all who have got word... I haven't received invite (yet)...

Has anybody got a rejection email yet ?!!!

mackoi
6th Oct 2014, 10:53
Nothing yet.

wiblywoblywonder
6th Oct 2014, 10:54
I will keep telling myself that no news is good news :ok:

aibkaresz
6th Oct 2014, 10:55
I think there won't be any rejection e-mails

mackoi
6th Oct 2014, 10:59
I am afraid you're right.

InformationAlpha
6th Oct 2014, 11:10
Has anyone contacted FTE yet to see if the reply window is closed?

aibkaresz
6th Oct 2014, 11:10
It is not closed yet :)

Officer Kite
6th Oct 2014, 11:39
Considering the whole thing is being run by FTE I doubt people would be left hanging. I wouldn't put it past Aer Lingus based on the past but I would say everyone will hear something this time. Considering there was allegedly a big cull and no one has yet posted of negative news I assume the "thanks ... but no thanks" e-mails are yet to come.

PID
6th Oct 2014, 11:41
To assist in resolving the mystery, has anyone who is not living in Ireland received an invitation?

It's a shame that they don't send a rejection email, I rather receive that then no response at all, as it makes you hope that you will get a call at some point!:ugh:

McLovin96
6th Oct 2014, 12:13
I am from the UK and I have received an invitation :)

funkyt111
6th Oct 2014, 14:37
I'm also from the UK and received an invitation. Fingers crossed guys. They may just be sending out invites in batches. I know that I applied very early on in the window.

PPRuNeUser0207
6th Oct 2014, 15:10
FYI

I applied the first day and received an invite for the second week.

Also I don't think there will be rejection emails for the first round?

InformationAlpha
6th Oct 2014, 15:28
Are you supposing its based on when you submitted the primary application or when you submitted the questions?

gordonquinn
7th Oct 2014, 03:52
With regards to the question about the 25%, the application asks if you are able to pay 25% of the training costs, I was under the impression this was not paid back to the cadet at any point. I understand what you are feeling about that being a big ask but comparing that to most other schemes where you pay all your training and then maybe even your type rating with no guarantee of a job, this one seems pretty damn good. Good luck to all applicants, hopefully we hear soon!

ILiLLo
7th Oct 2014, 09:37
I still didn't recive anything yet unfortunately.
By the way I think that if after the 3rd anyone recived any invitation more is highly probable that we will not recive anything...:{

I really wonder about the selection criteria...

Are 3 questions about your private life enought to decide if you can or not partecipate to the real selection?

I feel really disappointed.

Greetings to all...

mackoi
7th Oct 2014, 10:15
Strawberry cheesecake today.

VLT_029
7th Oct 2014, 10:19
Still Waiting ....

Mikhou
7th Oct 2014, 10:22
Hello,

I also applied on this Cadet Program, many of you have already got an email to attend the assessments day ?

Good luck on you who have got an invitation ! :ok:

I still havent recieved any email on my case.

What was the sender or topic of the email ?
On what days you have got the assessment day ?

InformationAlpha
7th Oct 2014, 10:40
Do you think it depends on how you answered the question regarding when you are able to attend the assessment? If you selected any date then you may be towards the end as then can accommodate you more easily?

B77L
7th Oct 2014, 10:47
I really wonder about the selection criteria...

Are 3 questions about your private life enought to decide if you can or not partecipate to the real selection?

I feel really disappointed.

None of the questions were private, and there were four, actually. Quite useful to assess your communication (and language) skills.

ILiLLo
7th Oct 2014, 11:19
Yes, you are right there were 4, not 3.
Anyway for "private" question i just meant question that were aimed to test your motivation and psychological profile more than your potential attitude to fly.

Considering that I assume we all here are more than motivated and that is really hard to judge profiles only on few answer without having at least an interview, i was only wondering what they were expecting from us to be selected.

Anyway mine was just a consideration, not a criticism.
I am sure the selectors are professionist and they are doing their job in the best way.

InformationAlpha
7th Oct 2014, 13:00
Anyone else received an invite?