PDA

View Full Version : Information about PPL, Single Engine and IFR

fernandouk
19th Aug 2014, 18:09
Hi everyone,

Could you please help me getting the answer to this questions:

- Can a PPL pilot with a IR rating, fly IFR on a single engine within the UK?
- What's the reason why the CAA doesn't allow comercial fights, IFR, on a single engine? safety? Is there any website that I can access that information? Spend lots of time on the CAA's but didn't find it...

I am not a pilot so please forgive me for the probably stupid questions.

Many many thanks!

Fernando

Mach Jump
19th Aug 2014, 19:33
Hi Fernando

-Can a PPL pilot with a IR rating, fly IFR on a single engine within the UK?

Yes.

- What's the reason why the CAA doesn't allow comercial fights, IFR, on a single engine? safety?

The UK CAA take a very conservative and traditional approach to many things, and this is one. Dispite the overwhelming evidence of the safety of single engine turbine IFR operations, the CAA still consider it to be 'too dangerous' for Public Transport.

MJ:ok:

ChickenHouse
19th Aug 2014, 19:51
I am not sure it is only safety reasons to forbid commercial single engine transport (all EASA states?), it may be prohibition as well. To my knowledge the most flown commercial plane in the world is the Cessna Caravan and by forbidding operations of these, they keep the most affordable planes out of the money making business in Europe and in many countries the politically not wanted air traffic down.

19th Aug 2014, 20:24
Single Engine Turbine IFR commercial transport is allowed in France, probably something to do with the fact that the TBM 900 is manufactured in France.
Turboprops do fail from time to time, no very often but it happens even to single engine aeroplanes operating commercially, and even in France:
http://www.bea.aero/docspa/2010/f-xz100905.en/pdf/f-xz100905.en.pdf

fernandouk
19th Aug 2014, 20:30
Thanks guys!

Very interesting to read your answers and opinions.

Genghis the Engineer
19th Aug 2014, 22:07
I recall from some meetings I went to umpty-ump years ago that the argument was basically between the UK and Switzerland about what should be permitted.

The UK, who built Islanders, said SE-IFR shouldn't be permitted.

Switzerland, who built PC12s, said it should.

It was all politics, and nobody was really very interested in the safety arguments which just were being manipulated to suit national desires.

G

OhNoCB
19th Aug 2014, 22:24
Questions already been answered but for what it's worth, I agree that SEP IFR for commercial operations is probably not a good thing. I don't have tens of thousands of hours and I have seen piston engines do weird things that I don't think a paying commercial passenger should be subject to. Privately however is a different story because everyone flying privately should be aware and capable of doing their own risk assessment.

Turbine engines I have no problem with and think that SET public transport ops should be allowed, but it's up to the people with often little aviation background to decide on that one.

ETOPS
20th Aug 2014, 06:55
There's a lot of single engine commercial flying in IFR - take a look at Jetfly.com for instance..

bookworm
20th Aug 2014, 17:42
EASA's NPA 2014-18 (http://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/notices-of-proposed-amendment/npa-2014-18) addresses the topic. It proposes introducing SET-IMC as a specific approval (Part-SPA).

fernandouk
27th Jan 2015, 13:10
Hi everyone,

following our previous discussion, I would like to ask you:

- Is SE Commercial VFR legal/possible?
- If so, could you mention an example of a AOC that operates with this licence?

Many thanks

ChickenHouse
27th Jan 2015, 13:38
- Is SE Commercial VFR legal/possible?
- If so, could you mention an example of a AOC that operates with this licence?

Re::question, where? in many parts of the world SEP and SET are the majority of flights. Just have a look at Youtube for things like SusiAir, or the Bushpilots in Maun, or or or

fernandouk
27th Jan 2015, 13:39
Sorry, you are right. I mean in the UK/Europe

ChickenHouse
27th Jan 2015, 13:44
First in my mind i.e. OFD, they are running island hopper ops at german northsea coast - operating SE: GA4 Airvan and 172.

fernandouk
27th Jan 2015, 13:46
So, it is legal even in the UK, right?

ChickenHouse
27th Jan 2015, 13:48
As there are many sightseeing offers in 172/182s in the UK, I assume so. Also, given the EU turn lately a friend told me flight schools are now forced to be ATO under EASA regulations, which would render them commercial as well.