PDA

View Full Version : PA handset metal inserts (Airbus)

FLEXPWR
23rd Jul 2014, 06:20
OK, this is not directly related to flying , but is still an equipment we use every day.

The PA handset for airbus (320) is mainly made of plastic, but on either side of the handset, where the two plastic shells meet, are thin metal inserts, maybe copper alloy or brass. This is valid for cockpit and cabin handsets.

After sifting thru the FCOM, AMM, WDM, etc., I can't seem to find any information about its use. My guess is to cancel out any static electricity as soon as the handset is held, making contact with the hand, and reducing the risk of a spark.

Any thoughts anyone?

It seems other aircraft (some Boeing? ) do not have these metal inserts.

mixture
23rd Jul 2014, 06:38
My guess is to cancel out any static electricity as soon as the handset is held

Static electricity on a phone handset sufficient to cause a spark ... seems a bit far fetched to me.

My guess would be there are some magnets in those positions on the handset holder and the magnetism is used to help keep the handset where it belongs during periods of turbulence etc.

FLEXPWR
23rd Jul 2014, 07:52
Well... dragging your feet on the carpet in the cabin can built thousands of volts (although low amps). The microphone area is protected by a metal grid. If given the choice, would you prefer a jolt on you lips or on your hand? :}

Not sure it's the design function anyway, looking for more info.

mixture
23rd Jul 2014, 08:12
The microphone area is protected by a metal grid. If given the choice, would you prefer a jolt on you lips or on your hand?

In all my years of using plastic telephones of all shapes and sizes that don't have Airbus style metal clips on them, I've never had a static shock.

Admittedly I don't drag my feet on the carpet either ;)

FLEXPWR
23rd Jul 2014, 12:56
Ok, instead of hearing what it's not, anyone with sensible info?