PDA

View Full Version : MATZ and danger areas, and crossing them

Emkay
16th May 2014, 17:41
If I am overflying a MATZ at 3000ft+ (say 3500ft), do I still ask for MATZ penetration or do I request something else? I would still like to speak to the MATZ ATSU btw, so just overflying it without calling them won't be an option. (I was recommended this for my exam).

If I understand the UK AIP correctly. A danger area with a DAAIS only is prohibited for the entry of aircraft unless it is inactive, am I correct?

BabyBear
16th May 2014, 17:46
Good idea to speak to them, be a bit silly to ask for penetration of something you won't penetrate.

BB

foxmoth
16th May 2014, 18:04
Yes, ask for "basic service", you will probably get a bit more though as it is military!

chevvron
17th May 2014, 01:14
How can you overfly a MATZ at 3,000 ft when the top of the MATZ is 3,000 ft agl? OK, 3,500 ft alt should take you over the top of most of them, but don't forget, the RAF will want you on their QFE not QNH.
Best to call on the notified frequency and tell them where you are going and at what altitude (not mentioning MATZ penetration) then see what they say; don't forget a MATZ is class G airspace so provided you remain above/outside their ATZ, they can't actually refuse you permission to transit.
As for Danger Areas, don't get confused between Danger Area Activity Information Service (DAAIS) and Danger Area Crossing Service (DACS); DAAIS will tell you if the DA is active then you make your own choice about entering it (although some do have byelaws which specifically prohibit transit and are indicated on CAA charts), whereas DACS will, activity permitting, give you clearance to transit.

englishal
17th May 2014, 07:00
MATZ - Call the ATSU and ask for a Traffic Service and tell them you are routing via their overhead or route. Example "Boscombe Radar N123 from A to B via your overhead, 5 miles west FL50 request traffic service"

DA - Call the ATSU nearest / responsible or London Info (scottish oop North) and ask them the status of the DA...Ex "N123 from A to B via C 5 miles west of D 5000, request status of danger area Delta 123".

If they say it is cold, or inactive then bob's your uncle you can do whatever you want. If it is active then I tend to avoid rather than trying to get a crossing service.

welkyboy
17th May 2014, 08:04
MATZ's are a military thing, civil aircraft do not require permission to cross/enter them!!!

kaitakbowler
17th May 2014, 08:06
I once flew regularly with a 1000hr ppl, on a trip north we were on track to overfly the Waddo MATZ @ 3800 on the QFE, on speaking to the controller we were asked 3 times to confirm our height, the controller then advised us of a "Heavy 8 jet" in our 3 oclock tracking 270 @ 2000ft QFE. A quick search for the camera and a shot of a lifetime. Wasn't difficult to spot with all that smoke out the back.

PM:D

thing
17th May 2014, 09:48
MATZ's are a military thing, civil aircraft do not require permission to cross/enter them!!! Certainly don't but surely it doesn't do any harm just to give them a quick shout if you're going to penetrate the MATZ rather than go above it? Apart from anything else you might find out about the 100 ton behemoth that is on radar final and going to pass half a mile in front of you.

Coincidentally we're having a GA safety day fly in tomorrow at the mil base I fly from. 46 a/c expected and 100+ people. Good to see that people are interested in flying safely.