PDA

View Full Version : Luton transit

tomboo
14th May 2014, 10:29
Anyone know if I'll get a transit without mode C?

Can someone also give me an idea as to what to expect transiting south to north?

Ta

Gertrude the Wombat
14th May 2014, 10:36
I did it once a looong time ago. I got asked to report field in sight, then told where to cross the runway, that was about all.

LowNSlow
14th May 2014, 11:22
Shouldn't be a problem, I used to fly in to and out of Rush Green (under the approach to 26) sans transponder.

I used to hear loads of transit requests and can't remember any being refused. Luton are usually extremely helpful.

ETOPS
14th May 2014, 11:51
I thought the title meant one of these..

http://www.long-term-car-rental.co.uk/my_pictures/luton.png

tomboo
14th May 2014, 14:44
You'd need more than a new transponder to get that through the middle of Luton....

Downwind.Maddl-Land
14th May 2014, 18:25
Assuming you want only to transit the Class D airspace, you do not need a transponder at all (common misconception) – it helps a lot but it’s not a Requirement. Your Mode A should establish identity with no difficulty. However, also assuming that you haven't been 'handed over' and it's a 'Free Call' it may assist, when invited , that you check in with an accurate position report, eg: “G-ABCD, LAM (or wherever - BKY?) ABC radial, XYZ DME tracking MNO, 2500ft on the Luton QNH requesting……..”

tomboo
14th May 2014, 21:36
Thanks, makes sense.

Sounds like they're accommodating so I'll give it a go!

piperarcher
16th May 2014, 08:49
I never really understood why Luton are accommodating (I have also had various zone transits approved), but Stansted aren't (allegedly). The controllers are all based together at Swanwick. I assume there are different policies for controlling traffic in CAS for the 2 different airports. Am I right?