PDA

View Full Version : Weather avoidance in CAS

Cribbly Dock
19th May 2002, 17:38
Hi Ladies and Gents,

I've done a PPRUNE search on this but nothing definitive, so here goes;

Can Pilots flying in CAS avoid weather without asking for ATC permission? I had a discussion the other day with my fellow pilot, who said you don't need ATC's permission, just do it and tell them. I have a feeling he's right but didn't think it was a good idea in a busy, controlled environment.

Your thoughts, legalities etc please.

kind regards

CD

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
19th May 2002, 18:18
Try following this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2009&highlight=weather+and+avoidance).

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th May 2002, 19:02
I'm not sure that this question deserves a sensible reply - surely it's just a wind up?

Cribbly Dock
19th May 2002, 20:11
Thanks dspprune. The link answered my question.

ATCO Two
19th May 2002, 20:20
So CD, are you going to tell ATC that you turned to avoid weather before or after hitting another aircraft?

radar707
19th May 2002, 22:44
This thimg has been hammered out on here several times, my theory is this:
If the commander of an aircraft believes that the safety of that aircraft will be compromised by flying through some weather, then he/she has a legal responsibility to avoid that weather.
In a busy TMA environment, it's not always possible to get in on the RT, so then squawk 7700, that way we as ATCO's know that something is not quite right!!
At the endo of the day, the 1261 for a loss of separation is a whole lot less tha losing an aircraft!!

My thoughts, if you need to avoid weather, then avoid it, TELL US WHEN YOU CAN, if you CAN"T, SQUAWK 7700, you'll soon get our attention!!

Scott Voigt
20th May 2002, 05:02
Like has been said, if it is for the safety of flight and you can't talk to ATC then do what you have to do, however, to deviate from an ATC clearance, you do need to get approval unless you are invoking your command authority. The command authority however won't relieve you from an investigation if one is warranted.

I have had many aircrew feel that they should be able to deviate anytime that they ask for it. They don't seem to understand that we can only approve the deviation as long as we have no traffic that will be in their way as well as we are not going to violate someone elses airspace prior to getting thier approval. Quite often too, to just go around some bumps and not real large convective activity...

regards