PDA

View Full Version : Bournemouth to Alderney

mark3482
14th Jan 2014, 13:50
Hi to all,

I am planning on flying from Bournemouth to Alderney for the first time. Can anyone please provide me with any hints, tips and experiences.

I'm thinking on routing via Sandbanks direct to Alderney. Can anyone also help with RT communications that are needed en route etc.

Many thanks.

Mark.

YODI
14th Jan 2014, 16:38
Leave the coast at Swanage.

What AC are you flying?

belowradar
14th Jan 2014, 16:41
There is a VFR route from Isle of Wight to Cherbourg peninsula or alternatively fly direct from the needles to a waypoint called Ortac

Talk to Jersey Zone and then Alderney and plan direct route at 3k

Don't forget must be VFR or SVFR for entry into class A zone

Bring dinghy, life-jackets and PLB

Easy route but be conservative with weather forecasts and back up GPS with good plog and SAM VOR Radial. You will get a service from Bournemouth and then Jersey Zone.

Hope you have a great flight !

piperarcher
14th Jan 2014, 18:18
Check out this site Channel Island Control Zone - SVFR Flight Planning Guide (http://www.cicz.co.uk/)

Johnm
15th Jan 2014, 17:51
The main thing is to stay to the West of the airway Q41. To do that you'll need to track to a point about 5 NM West of ORTAC. If you are happy to fly at 3000 ft you can forget that and just go direct as you'll be below the airway.

Bournemouth Radar will give you a service and you should expect to change to Jersey zone about 35 nautical miles from Alderney which should get you a clearance into the Jersey zone unless you are going very fast. They will quickly pass you to Guernsey approach who will give you the traffic, runway in use, current weather and joining instructions. They will hand you over to Alderney tower when you are joining base leg.

Watch for turbulence on short final to 26 or over the cliffs on Approach to 08 especially in gusty conditions.

The grass runways aren't available at present so check that the wind is OK for your cross wind capability.

It's a lovely little island so have fun!

Fuji Abound
15th Jan 2014, 19:42
Only three other things I can think worth mentioning;

Jersey zone often ask you to report 50N, so know where it is,

Alderney is notorious for sea fog setting in really quickly, so be prepared,

the airway is a pain if you are staying outside and inevitably keeps you low, I forget the issues routing to the west (which I know would suite you) but I do know the alternative is to route just to the East (St Catherine's Point) to just East of Ortac - that way you stay outside the airway and to the west of the danger areas so you are basically free to go as high as you like without having to ask anyone. If outside the airway that is the way I always go.

mark3482
16th Jan 2014, 03:13
I will be flying a PA28.

Fuji Abound
16th Jan 2014, 19:55
Good, that will get up there if you wish.

Johnm
17th Jan 2014, 08:43
PA 28 is a good aeroplane for the trip. I've been backwards and forwards in my Archer more times than I can count! I'd stay to the West of the airway and East of the danger areas at 5000ft or so. Assuming you are navigating with a decent GPS (and don't even think of going if you aren't) that's quite easy to do.

I fly from Gloucester and it's due South from there. However if I can't get across D026 as sometimes happens during the week, my alternate route is BIA and then down the West edge of the airway. If all it's all too messy I'll go IFR and join the airway, but I'm guessing that option isn't available to the OP.

Lukesdad
17th Jan 2014, 14:44
Just a thought. When I first flew to Alderney and was handed over from Jersey to Alderney, they asked if I had the field in sight. I was approaching from the North and the field isn't really visible until you pass to the East of the Island. With that said, it's a great place for a day out with some lovely pubs within walking distance of the airport.