PDA

View Full Version : A320 ovhd panel question

EIU_EEC
12th Feb 2013, 06:18
Simple question about ovhd panel. Is there any specific technical/ops reason for the ELAC1, SEC2,SEC3 to be on the CM1 side and ELAC2,FAC1,FAC2 on the CM2 side?

NOLAND3
12th Feb 2013, 07:12
You will actually find CM1 - ELAC 1, SEC 1, FAC 1

CM2 - ELAC2, SEC2, SEC3, FAC2

I am sure they have their reasons. considering FAC 1+2 off dumps the aircraft into alt law perhaps it is good thing to force a conscious effort to reach across.

Jonty
12th Feb 2013, 07:25
Thats the main reason. So you cannot switch all the ELACS or FACs off by mistake.

IFixPlanes
12th Feb 2013, 07:39
Take a look at FCOM DSC-27-20-50 "BUS EQUIPMENT LIST".
It is the power source. ;)

Jonty
12th Feb 2013, 09:01
So now we get into a chicken and egg situation. Which came first the over head panel design or the power source design?

IFixPlanes
12th Feb 2013, 09:34
... Which came first the over head panel design or the power source design?
Power source design follows the general rule to split the source if you have more than one system due to prevent total system loss by loosing one power. There is no chicken/egg situation...

Natstrackalpha
13th Feb 2013, 00:11
Thats the main reason. So you cannot switch all the ELACS or FACs off by mistake

I mentioned this scenario to a colleague and he told me that one would be in Direct Law if anything and would have MAN PITCH TRIM ONLY - and left and right with the rudder, based on: All ELACS off and FACS and SECS too.

Any takers?

Jonty
13th Feb 2013, 08:40
Power source design follows the general rule to split the source if you have more than one system due to prevent total system loss by loosing one power. There is no chicken/egg situation...

Doesn't really tell us anything about the positioning of the switches on the Over Head Panel. After all the separate power supplies for the ADIRUs are all on the left side of the panel.

IFixPlanes
13th Feb 2013, 23:32
@ Jonty
If you level up some simple push button switches with the CDU (Control and Display Unit) of the ADIRS, i do not think that you are open for any other explanations... :sad:

TyroPicard
14th Feb 2013, 13:15
Natstrackalpha
The phrase you are looking for is Mechanical Backup.

Airmann
14th Feb 2013, 13:18
Thats right

Direct Law = MAN PITCH TRIM
Mechanical Backup = MAN PITCH TRIM ONLY

Natstrackalpha
26th Feb 2013, 07:41
Natstrackalpha
The phrase you are looking for is Mechanical Backup.

Thats right

Direct Law = MAN PITCH TRIM
Mechanical Backup = MAN PITCH TRIM ONLY

Humbly, thank you Gennelmen. I did not correlate what I studied with what was happening.