PDA

View Full Version : C150 and MAUW

The man formerly known as
19th Apr 2002, 11:48
I was recently reminded that almost every 150/152 in the country takes off above MAUW withthe standard complement of two average pilots and a reasonable amount of fuel.

As I recall the plane didn't seem to mind.

How do schools reconcile this issue given that my instructor and many others regularly reinforce the importance of W&B before every flight then happily jump into an overloaded plane.

essouira
19th Apr 2002, 17:16
It's easy for some of us as we don't weigh very much !

niknak
19th Apr 2002, 22:47
:D I do ..... :rolleyes: :D

Tinstaafl
19th Apr 2002, 22:51
I don't!! :D ;)

I Fly
23rd Apr 2002, 01:38
You will be very popular with the insurance companies. They can collect all that money without ever having to pay out one cent / penny. I can just hope I'm not in that aircraft when it eventually clapps hands overhead.
On a more serious tone. You have just nullified all the manufactures calculations. You are flying an aircraft that is only fit for 'experimental' certification.

Tinstaafl
23rd Apr 2002, 12:38
I removed the problem - most of the time - by using actual weights. If the other person was heavier than standard weights then I'd limit fuel. Problem solved.

I always told my students why. Nothing like consistantly demonstrating a point to hammer home the lesson. None of this "Do as I say, not as I do" bulls**t from me (that I recall :p )

In Oz, standard weights are published for use in a/c with six seats or more.

excrab
23rd Apr 2002, 21:56
Its not quite as bad as it seems

Max take off weight of a 152 is 1670 lbs

from that subtract a 14 stone (ie fattish male) instructor and a 14 stone student and full tanks (20 imp gallons @ 7.2 = 144) and you are left with 1134 lbs for the basic weight of the aeroplane.

Cessna quote 1133 lbs for the standard empty weight of an aerobat. In reality most are a bit heavier depending on avionics, but most instructors and students are a bit lighter, especially instructors because they can't afford to eat.

I'm lucky in that most of my instructing has been on PA28, but I did the initial and aerobatic instructor course on a 150. I seem to remember that as you, the student, the fuel and the CofG all coincide it is difficult to get it out of balance unless you crawl in the back (some 150s could actually be approved for a third child seat with very skinny parents).

If all else fails thermalling can double the rate of climb !

Tinstaafl
23rd Apr 2002, 23:05
Only once or twice that I recall have I been fuel limited. That was with particularly large students.

In one case only myself or a friend could instruct a particular student due to the combination of his and our weights.

Also we were the only two who could fit and still get the doors closed! :eek:

Just a point, the C150 had a ~50kg lower MTOW than the C152.