PDA

View Full Version : Noise abatement A320

qwsa
6th Oct 2012, 20:09
Hi,
Give me some advise please. I am not going to perform noise abatement take off due to bad weather conditions( ws or gusty wind). Would it be better to reduce the thrust at minimum thrust reduction/acceleration altitude (400feet AGL) or at default alt value 1500 AGL?

misd-agin
7th Oct 2012, 00:57
If it's for windshear reducing power at 400' isn't a good idea.

Fly3
7th Oct 2012, 02:28
Absolutely concur with MISD-AGIN. To reduce thrust so close to the ground in bad weather is bordering on the irresponsible. Most airlines have a minimum that exceeds the 400ft AGL min and in my experience is at least 800ft AGL. Since you are already decided to throw away noise abating there is no reason to even accept the default of 1500ft AGL. If you think it's necessary keep power on for longer. You have five minutes at TOGA power.

autoflight
7th Oct 2012, 03:34
. . . . or 10 minutes in an emergency situation or any other time if it is really essential.

ElitePilot
7th Oct 2012, 04:23
If windshear is suspected Airbus recommends TOGA for takeoff according to the fcoms.

C212-100
7th Oct 2012, 15:49
Spot on by Elite Pilot. The FCOM instruct that TOGA should be used whenever WS is expected/forecasted on departure. Besides that is common sense that if you are expecting turbulence WX departing a field it is not a good idea to be reducing power at low altitudes...

Regards.

Cough
7th Oct 2012, 16:54
However, sometimes you have to think a little about what the reported windshear is... Landing aircraft reporting a 'loss of 20kt at 200ft' means you will gain 20kt going in the other direction. So, say you taking off flap 3, with a V2 of 140, so climbing out at 160kt ish, you get the 20kt gain putting you at 180kt which is very close to the Vfe speed (Conf 3/320-185Kt).

I would suggest, adding TOGA to this mix, means a visit from an engineer to inspect the overspeed, please also bear in mind the limited pitch authority of the A/P to deal with this..

I've found the real issues for departing aircraft come when arriving aircraft don't report issues... You often then get a loss of speed out of the blue!

Nothing I have written should detract you from following your own SOP's/FCOM advice, however our SOP's do allow variation based on the experience of the crew...

dhardesthard
8th Oct 2012, 13:28
Seeing that you clearly state that the question does not apply to bad weather, wind shear or turbulence I would (if your company allows it) reduce power at 1000 ft AGL. 400 ft may be a bit on the low side in case a distracting situation arrises.