PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Numbers of Passengers on JAA-PPL

squidie
27th Sep 2012, 22:18
Evening all, Quick question, and I’ve been searching for this for a while with no solution. Now I’m aware of the passenger requirements for the PPL (3 t/os and 3 landings / 90 days) but is there a maximum amount of passengers the PPL’er is allowed to take?

xj8driver
27th Sep 2012, 22:39
Not as far as I'm aware. For example, the Antonov AN2 takes, I think, 10-12 passengers, and can be flown on your SEP PPL.

abgd
27th Sep 2012, 22:55
Perhaps 30-50 babies, if the seats were suitably modified?

flybymike
27th Sep 2012, 23:15
Cessna Caravan single typically configured for up to say fourteen people.
I think, though I may be wrong, that max passenger fit for aircraft below 5700kg (standard PPL limit) is nineteen.

Mark 1
28th Sep 2012, 04:15
In theory there is no limit imposed on the basis of the licence.

However, aircraft taking more than 19 passengers will exclusively require a type rating. Although an airliner type rating could be placed on a private licence the TRTO is unlikely to accept someone for training with anything less than CPL/IR qualifications.

I wonder how a Horsa glider would fit in the EASA licencing world?:E

India Four Two
28th Sep 2012, 05:21
I wonder how a Horsa glider would fit in the EASA licencing world?

Sorry Mark, it "woodn't" fit. :E

I've always thought a replica Hotspur (with larger windows) would make a nice passenger joy-riding glider.

Pace
28th Sep 2012, 06:34
Mark

You do not require an ATP / CPL to get a type rating for use on a private aircraft which requires one .
You could have your own private DC3 in a farmers field and think how many PAX that would carry?

Pace

Dg800
28th Sep 2012, 08:03
John Travolta flies a 707 on a PPL. His captain's uniform is just posing on his part. I know it's an FAA PPL and not JAA but I'm not aware of any limitations on the number of passengers carried either in FAA or JAA regulations, hence you can carry as many as the largest aircraft you're type-rated to fly as PIC can carry.

Ciao,

Dg800

BillieBob
28th Sep 2012, 08:13
There is no limit in the privileges of an EASA PPL on aircraft size or number of passengers. In theory, at least, you could get an A380 rating and fill it up with people if you want.

Unusual Attitude
28th Sep 2012, 08:30
Seem to remember that when looking to add a multi-crew type rating the applicant is required to have 'valid ATPL theory eaxms'....

So whats the biggest single crew type you can fly and that might answer the question?!?!?!

znww5
28th Sep 2012, 09:42
Off the top of my head - a Trislander, 17 pax and a pilot. Operated single crew on the Southampton - Alderney route last time I used it.

Gertrude the Wombat
28th Sep 2012, 09:46
Off the top of my head - a Trislander, 17 pax and a pilot. Operated single crew on the Southampton - Alderney route last time I used it.
Last time I was a passenger in one of those the pilot said "yeah, you could fly this, it's just like three 172s bolted together".

Halfbaked_Boy
28th Sep 2012, 12:42
Perhaps 30-50 babies, if the seats were suitably modified?

I don't know why, but that did make me laugh!

Whopity
28th Sep 2012, 19:31
The CAA issued a number of PPLs with a 747 type rating on them so that allows plenty of scope if the holder can afford to fill every seat.

500 above
28th Sep 2012, 21:01
Really? I wonder why or who would use a 747 on a PPL!

BillieBob
28th Sep 2012, 21:31
Yes, really. There are plenty of people in this world who have more money than sense. Enough, even, to get a 747 type rating just for the hell of it, without ever wishing to use it.

Whopity
28th Sep 2012, 21:59
It was a way of issuing a UK PPL to an airline pilot who had a type rating on a foreign licence. Pre JAR many were issued to Cathay pilots.

Mark 1
29th Sep 2012, 00:26
Travolta only has SIC privileges on his 707 type rating, but he does have B-720, CL-600, EA-500s, g-1159, HS-125 and LR-JET too, plus an experimental sign-off for the Soko galeb G-2; all on an FAA private certificate.

My point about the CPL/IR is that such level of proficiency will normally be expected before you commence a type rating course.

So, yes I agree, with sufficient will and resources you can get a PPL with A380 type rating, hire a crew and fly 500 of your most intimate friends away for a weekend beano.

peterh337
29th Sep 2012, 05:24
However, Travolta has an IR.

You can get type ratings added to a PPL/IR, no problem.

AFAIK you don't need a CPL/IR to do jet type ratings.

It is the IR they are after, before taking you on.

500 above
29th Sep 2012, 06:38
My point about the CPL/IR is that such level of proficiency will normally be expected before you commence a type rating course.

Actually, all FAA PIC type rating flight tests are conducted to ATP standards, regardless of the licence level the T/R is to be attached to.

For most advanced types, the training centre manager will want proof of total time, multi crew aircraft time, P1 time, jet time etc. if the centre's minimum times are not met, at the discression of the centre manager, you may be allowed to commence training and receive a T/R with a supervised operating experience or a SIC limitation.

Edit;

It's the aircraft insurance firms that practically set the minimums!

Talkdownman
29th Sep 2012, 07:00
Non-commercial air transport positioning to/from maintenance? Perhaps flown by experienced/very mature ex-ATPL no longer able to hold ATPL? I think PPL on airliners happens occasionally in the maintenance and flight-test industry.

squidie
29th Sep 2012, 16:31
Thanks guys :)

Talkdownman
30th Sep 2012, 08:24
Here is an example (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/dft_avsafety_pdf_501548.pdf): a PPL in command of an A300-600ST

deefer dog
2nd Oct 2012, 12:19
My friend is a retired US airline pilot. His reckons he can get an EASA PPL to work for his mate unpaid flying a private D registered Global Express between Europe and US (he has homes in Germany and US).

Can the Global Type Rating on his FAA licence be added to his new EASA PPL? And what medical does he need - Class 1 or 2?

Dg800
2nd Oct 2012, 12:38
And what medical does he need - Class 1 or 2?

For a private license all you need is a Class 2, regardless of type flown.

Ciao,

Dg800

BillieBob
2nd Oct 2012, 16:43
There is, of course, the small matter of a valid EASA MEIR and a pass in all of the EASA ATPL exams.