PDA

View Full Version : Aribus/Boeing FMS different behaviour

aviationbus
7th Sep 2012, 09:10
Hi, this is my first post on the forum.

Scenario:
Airbus A320 or Boeing 737 is cleared to enter a holding over a VOR which is also used for a racetrack holding in the approach procedure.

The aircraft is first cleared to enter the hold and after a while is cleared for the approach.

Questions:
How are both the different FMS going to deal with the pilot input when he inserts the holding?
I mean, is the Airbus FMS going to transform the "Holding to Fix" of the approach racetrack to a "HOLD at" so that the pilot, after being cleared for the approach, will have to select IMM EXIT and than press "DATABASE" on the right keys of the MCDU of the hold page to reload the data for the racetrack?
What about the Boeing 737 FMS? Same behaviour?

In short words: does inserting a holding over a waypoint which is already into the procedure as a racetrack holding, remove the data associated to the racetrack and transform it to a normal holding (with IMM EXIT required, 1min legs and so on)? How does a pilot deal with it (assuming he doesn't want to switch to heading mode :O)

Thank you in advance for your replies. Hope the questions are clear.

ReverseFlight
10th Sep 2012, 12:03
Do you have an instrument rating ?

The answer could help others understand your question.

aviationbus
10th Sep 2012, 15:09
Yes, I do have both FAA and JAA instrument ratings and I am current.

The question is pretty simple:
There's an approach procedure that starts at a VOR which is e.g. 6 nm from the runway threshold and over the same VOR you have a RACETRACK REVERSAL (e.g. 4nm inbound leg) that will let you descend to the required altitude for the approach.

Over the same VOR you have a HOLDING (with 1 minute inbound leg) and you are cleared to the HOLDING first and then after let's say 2 minutes you are cleared for the approach (so now you descend to minimum VOR altitude to join the RACETRACK REVERSAL and follow the approach procedure).

How do you do that on an Airbus FGMS and Boeing FMS?
On the ProLine 21, once you choose the approach and the racetrack is loaded, if you try to add a holding before the racetrack it automatically replaces the racetrack with the new holding you want to insert.

Thanks.

aviationbus
10th Sep 2012, 15:42
This is an example of both Holding and Racetrack Reversal over the same point (VX):

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7223/examplerw.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/100/examplerw.jpg/)

FlightPathOBN
10th Sep 2012, 19:59
One can also have different FMC providers for the Airbus ac as well. The Honeywell, Smiths, and Thales boxes all are a little different...

misd-agin
10th Sep 2012, 23:59
The same FMC's can behave differently based on what version they are operating. 10.5, 10.6, etc.

FlightPathOBN
11th Sep 2012, 01:03
misd..exactly...

aviationbus
11th Sep 2012, 19:58
Ok, thanks for the answers.
Let's say Airbus A320 Thales FMS II with one of the last revisions...

Anybody?

FlightPathOBN
12th Sep 2012, 15:06
teardrop entry....

Romasik
12th Sep 2012, 17:05
Well, most of us have probably never done this... If I face it, I'll separate them with route discontinuity.

aviationbus
12th Sep 2012, 21:23
You are right Romsik, that should work!

Thank you for your reply

FlightPathOBN
12th Sep 2012, 23:27
not sure if the Caribbean version of the aircraft, "Aribus' can do this.:}
(check the post title)

aviationbus
13th Sep 2012, 09:24
Yeah I can't find where to change the title, my mistake :E