PDA

View Full Version : flying from Reading to Aberdeen

sierauniform
30th Aug 2012, 11:41
Good Morning Mes Braves
Am plotting an aerial expedition to the far north..beyond Aberdeen to Ellon.
Looking for suggestions re half way fuel/food/pee stop.viz N Yorks.
Also any routing suggestions....East or West of Pennines etc.
Equipment is a Remos...plastic fantastic with 100hp Rotax.
Happy Flying
Dave

NorthSouth
30th Aug 2012, 12:48
You'll have to get over to the east coast at some point and you've got a far better chance of doing that VFR if you do it south of the Pennines.

Eddsfield is a great wee place to stop.

NS

Genghis the Engineer
30th Aug 2012, 13:41
I go to Aberdeen fairly regularly, but I don't fly into Dyce - at £250ish for a light single, my budget just doesn't run to that.

Run up the East coast at a quadrantal altitude that keeps you above all the MATZ if you are IR/IMC qualified, failing that, go overhead the main airports at a sensible altitude, talking to them all the way and getting transits through their airspace. Pretty straightforward, and avoids any class A airspace issues.

Then land at Dundee and take the train the last bit if you actually want to go to Aberdeen. Compared to landing at Dyce, this will save you £200+ in charges and a bit of aviation fuel, and add maybe half an hour each way onto your journey.

Tayside aviation at Dundee for handling I can't fault.

En-route, I rather like Fishburn, well placed, friendly, long opening hours, and always has fuel.

G

JOE-FBS
30th Aug 2012, 13:41
East coast via Humberside worked well for me starting from Oxford earlier this year.

FLYER Forums • View topic - Halton-Kirkwall and back (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=77511)

gasax
30th Aug 2012, 14:03
My usual stops are Fishburn or Bagby - both welcoming, with food and the inevitably bacon roll.

Mentioning Ellon suggests that you might be going to one of the local strips? Otherwise Genghis' comments regarding Dyce are an accurate warning of the likely cost.

ScouseFlyer
30th Aug 2012, 14:58
How about Hull Aero Club at Linley Hill(Beverley).Always a warm welcome,good runway and coffee,bacon butties available most days except Mondays.

SF

peterh337
30th Aug 2012, 15:37
Dyce is worth a phone call before going there.

They have been known to drop the price substantially.

maxred
30th Aug 2012, 16:00
Insch would be better for you, grass strip, 527 mts.
The Grampian Microlight club.

www.gmfc-insch.co.uk (http://www.gmfc-insch.co.uk)
tel 01464 820003

Worth a call, sits just outside the ABZ control zone

kui2324
30th Aug 2012, 16:00
If looking to go to Ellon and then consider Longside - near Peterhead. 14 miles or Dyce 18 miles. If you have transport then it doesn't really matter!

Strips at Whiterashes and Hatton to also consider.

But if keen to go to Dyce then contact Signature on 01224 723636.

topoverhaul
30th Aug 2012, 20:44
Definitely east, Eddsfield is a great stopping place, then fly up the coast speaking to Durham and Newcastle, clearances through the Class D readily available. Stay east of the EDI zone, routing SAB to Montrose if you are comfortable over water, otherwise a shorter crossing North Berwick to Fife. Then it's Stonehaven Lane, Peterhead Lane to Drumwhindle! 18 strips to choose from in Aberdeenshire dependant on your TORA requirement.

guffie
11th Sep 2012, 13:09
I'm based at Longside - 500 mtr Tarmac - 20 minutes to Ellon by car from there.
Quiet little place........