PDA

View Full Version : Busy New York ATC Lady keeps her cool talking to GA aircraft

fisbangwollop
5th Jul 2012, 07:27
I don't know how this lady kept her cool....light aircraft and big jets in some of the worlds busiest airspace just don't:cool::cool: mix!!
EWR ATC - YouTube

Pace
5th Jul 2012, 08:22
I suppose you get them like that up in your neck of the woods ? But what a plonker :ugh:

Pace

fisbangwollop
5th Jul 2012, 08:32
Pace....very rare to be honest, most of our GA folk have a brain!! :cool::cool::cool:

Pace
5th Jul 2012, 09:00
We do get annoying ones ;) usually the guy who speaks at ultra slow speed and gives out a diatribe of unneeded rubbish all usually on busy frequencies when others are trying to get in a call.

The French are in a league of their own! I swear they discuss the previous nights football match in french :ugh:

Pace

A and C
5th Jul 2012, 09:40
A few years back I was transiting the Med south of Nice and the Controller was having a great deal of trouble locating a UK registered aircraft, the guy in the aircraft seemed to be giving all sorts of conflicting position reports.

The controller asked me if I could try to locate the guy and put us both of to a descreet frequency to try to sort this out. The nub of the problem is that the guy did not understand the deference between VOR course and radial.

Having located the guy and passed him onto the correct controller, the French controller I was working says " you have helped me so I shall now help you" and clears me direct to my entry point into the Roma FIR, a clearance that saved a great deal of dog legging.

dublinpilot
5th Jul 2012, 10:15
Having located the guy and passed him onto the correct controller, the French controller I was working says " you have helped me so I shall now help you" and clears me direct to my entry point into the Roma FIR, a clearance that saved a great deal of dog legging.

A few years ago I helped Shannon out by relaying some messages for them to an aircraft that they'd lost comms with. Well all was done they offered to clear me through the Galway zone if I wanted a short cut, instead of the Shannon zone which I'd planned.

I told them that I wanted to stick to my original plan through the Shannon zone, and got the reply "Ok. Well you are cleared to go whichever way you want to go !" :D

BackPacker
5th Jul 2012, 10:16
There was a YouTube clip a few years ago of a conversation ATC had with a GA pilot. Some sort of emergency was happening in the west of this ATCs airspace, so he was told to clear his airspace. A GA pilot somewhere in the east refused, and they had quite a discussion over the radio.

Can't find it however.

Evanelpus
5th Jul 2012, 10:50
Could it have been Weaver on a ferry flight, attitude sounds about right:ok:

Gertrude the Wombat
5th Jul 2012, 11:51
I told them that I wanted to stick to my original plan
I was offered a short cut once but decided that I preferred to stick to what was drawn on the map, written up in the plog, and displayed on the G1000 ... and remaining over land rather than water.

fernytickles
5th Jul 2012, 12:41
Discussed on another forum. To add some icing to the top of the cake, the guy in this recording phoned in after he landed to complain about that controller :rolleyes:

Pace
5th Jul 2012, 13:41
Discussed on another forum. To add some icing to the top of the cake, the guy in this recording phoned in after he landed to complain about that controller

I hope they had him sectioned under the mental health act and removed the tw+ts licence pending a full medical examination.

abgd
5th Jul 2012, 14:55
I'd be interested to read the discussion.

I'm not sure that I'd get the psychiatrists involved, but there's clearly something wrong.

Genghis the Engineer
5th Jul 2012, 16:48
More, I'd suggest, that "lots of busy people, and an idiot don't mix".

Aeroplane size is pretty irrelevant.

G

zibi85
5th Jul 2012, 17:41
It's hilarious when at 2:00 in the video Delta151 finishes off with "good luck" to the ATC lady :)

betterfromabove
7th Jul 2012, 09:41
"Grace Under Fire" is expression that comes to mind regarding the controller.

As for the pilot, this is someone who should be nowhere near the wheel of a plane...and possibly not any other form of transport. If it's not a medical problem, then he is a disgrace to the GA community.

Does the FAA not investigate this sort of incident??

mary meagher
7th Jul 2012, 20:33
How convinced he was that he was right and the controller was wrong! Seems like he needs a follow up visit "We're from the FAA and we are here to assist you!"

Contacttower
7th Jul 2012, 20:53
The guy was clearly in his own little world...kind of scary there are people like that who fly. Thankfully it sounded like although he was on her frequency he wasn't about to crash into anyone.

I would however maintain that provided pilots and controllers are competent light aircraft are fine to mix with the big stuff. Particularly in the US controllers are used to and generally very relaxed about light aircraft in busy airspace; I've flown IFR in a lot of the busy airspace around New York and Boston, never been a problem. Once got to fly over the top of JFK at about 6000ft, which at sunset was a pretty impressive sight with all the lights and everything.

mad_jock
7th Jul 2012, 21:35
Heard something similar start with one of the female ATCO's at BHX.

Didn't last very long mind.

I was told "try not to annoy her FFS sounds like she is taking no prisoners today"

soaringhigh650
7th Jul 2012, 23:44
What an idiot! A rare occurence though.

Luckily big and small, IFR and VFR mix regularly here and works well.

toptobottom
8th Jul 2012, 14:31
On the whole, I think the UK controllers are excellent - helpful, patient and fair. I was once listening to what should have been a straight-forward and routine exchange between an ATC at Farnborough and the pilot of a Cessna something or other. The pilot was given a squawk no less than a dozen times, having failed to correctly read it back on each previous occasion. The controller, who must have been wondering what the hell the pilot was smoking, remained perfectly calm as he patiently repeated the 4 digit number ever more slowly, until the pilot finally got it...

DeltaV
8th Jul 2012, 15:32
You're all pretty hard on the guy but I wonder what I would think in a similar position. There I am believing in my instruments and my navigation when someone on the ground tells me it's all wrong. Who am I going to believe?

Some years ago passing a MATZ VFR I was given two consecutive steers pretty much into the nearest bank of cloud. The person on the ground may be doing their best but they're not up there.

toptobottom
8th Jul 2012, 20:19
DeltaV - are you trolling?!

'Someone on the ground' happens to be a highly trained, experienced and professional ATC for busy NY air space, supported by very sophisticated radar!! The pilot's attitude and arrogance could cost him his life - and that of others; it certainly has no place in the cockpit. And, if you think his behaviour was acceptable then, with respect, neither do you.

mm_flynn
9th Jul 2012, 06:13
You're all pretty hard on the guy but I wonder what I would think in a similar position. There I am believing in my instruments and my navigation when someone on the ground tells me it's all wrong. Who am I going to believe?

Some years ago passing a MATZ VFR I was given two consecutive steers pretty much into the nearest bank of cloud. The person on the ground may be doing their best but they're not up there.

If the issue was 'No mama, I can not accept that heading due to weather', or 'Am I cleared for the localiser?' or 'Negative there is high ground ahead on that vector', your point would have some merit. After all, ATC does not have the same view of weather as you do and they have been known to forget people on headings (rarely - but it has happened). After the first exchange of
'you are not going where I think I asked you to go',

'Really, my instruments show I am going to XXX',

'Well my radar plot shows you heading 30 degrees right of that track'

it is blindingly obvious there is an issue of some sort in the airplane (like wrong waypoint entered, a miss set DI, generalised incompetence, etc.) and the pilot is just being thick on continuing to deny the issue.

Contacttower
9th Jul 2012, 09:05
It was the 'hey don't bother me no more' comment that really took the biscuit...I mean the guy is clearly flying IFR in controlled airspace (or at least attempting to), you can't just tell ATC to leave you alone. :ugh::ugh:

old-timer
9th Jul 2012, 21:47
Amazing ! - what was this guy on ? My votes with the controller for keeping her cool, very professional.
That guy needed to check his situational awareness - many pilots have been lost while saying 'my instruments are just fine' !