PDA

View Full Version : Nanchang CJ6A Turn and Bank

Big Pistons Forever
6th Jan 2012, 18:16
Anybody know what the markings on the original instrument turn needle mean. What is the significance of the 45 at each end of the arc and what do the 3 white hash marks next to the center mark signify ?

Ultranomad
7th Jan 2012, 19:10
It's EUP-53, the same turn indicator as on the original Yak (or, more likely, its Chinese replica). 45 means the rate of turn corresponding to a 45° bank angle coordinated turn. The smaller marks correspond to 15° and 30° bank angle, respectively. 500 is the speed (in km/h) at which the instrument is calibrated (yes, I know CJ-6A doesn't fly that fast).

Big Pistons Forever
7th Jan 2012, 21:22
It's EUP-53, the same turn indicator as on the original Yak (or, more likely, its Chinese replica). 45 means the rate of turn corresponding to a 45° bank angle coordinated turn. The smaller marks correspond to 15° and 30° bank angle, respectively. 500 is the speed (in km/h) at which the instrument is calibrated (yes, I know CJ-6A doesn't fly that fast).

Sounds reasonable to me. I have owned my CJ6 for 5 years and have been flying them for close to 15 years but when a guy asked me what the instrument markings meant I had to fess up and say I had no idea :O

Thank god for pprune :ok: