PDA

View Full Version : Re_Validate My PPL

Utterly
2nd Oct 2011, 21:25
Hi wonder if anyone can help me?
I am a lapsed PPL and IMC I have over 150hrs in my logbook all flown on Pa28s of various forms.
I last was current about 13 years ago when I flew out of Gloucester in a shared PA 28 there.
My question is I would like to re-validate my license? I have flown a few hours here and there over the years with an instructor from Tees-side sorry Durham & Tees Valley!!! and Full Sutton.
How do I go about this as I have had various opinions expressed about how to do it.
Many thanks.

BackPacker
3rd Oct 2011, 08:35
LASORS sections C5.1 and F1.5 should get you started nicely. If you have any questions remaining after that, let us know.

mrmum
3rd Oct 2011, 09:46
Utterly,
A couple of points which may not be readily evident on a first read of LASORS;

For your situation revalidation and renewal have different meanings, you are renewing, not revalidating.

What you will probably know as "Group -A", has now been replaced with SEP(L), single-engine piston (land), as opposed to seaplane, which has a broadly similar, but not identical definition.

Examiners have recently been told by the CAA, not to renew class ratings unless the licence holder also has a valid medical certificate, so you'll need to get that sorted as well. You can find CAA approved doctors here;
Medical Examiners Database Search | Medical | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=65&appid=21)
I'd recommend Colin Brown, but there are 3 in Newcastle, take your pick.

If you want to regain/keep your IMCr privileges, then you should really get that done before April next year, as the regulatory situation is changing and you may not have the option to do so afterwards. If you don't want/need that, then you may wish to consider the NPPL .
NPPL Home Page (http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/)
Welcome back:ok:

Utterly
3rd Oct 2011, 10:58
Hi

Thanks very much for the information.Very useful.
Many Thanks

mark25787
4th Oct 2011, 11:03
Good look on your revalidation. I myself am lapsed by a similar timescale to yourself and would love to be in a position to get airborne again.
Let us know how you get on!

robbo22
4th Oct 2011, 17:22
Hi

I've just been through this process, my licence having expired by just over 10 years.

You also need to look at Lasors F1.6 to renew your SEP (Land) rating.

Going through all the requirements I ended up taking the Aircraft Technical exam along with Communications (check Lasors B1.6 for FRTOL Renewal). As I also have a PPL(H) which had been valid within the last 5 years I was exempt from re-taking Air Law. There may have been some other exams that also needed retaking that I was exempted but I don't have my paperwork with me.

One other thing the CAA asked for before reissuing was licence was a confirmation of the date when I'd last flown as PIC.

Hope this helps a bit

Simon

Wessex Boy
7th Oct 2011, 08:45
I did it after a 17 year gap and wished I'd done it earlier!

Legally all you have to do is pass an SEP revalidation, which includes an oral exam by the examiner.

I decided to revise all of the subjects up to exam level, air law had changed a bit, RT needed updating and human factors wasn't around in 1986.

It took me 16 hours instruction to get back to test level and I actually chose to get myself to full skills test standard for safety.

Good luck with it all, and enjoy it!:ok:

Utterly
7th Oct 2011, 09:47
Hi guys
Thanks again for the information. all very informative and nice to know there are a few of us out there who still enjoy the fun in flying and are not too past it! (hope I pass the medical!!)
I was at Eshott (just North of Newcastle) last weekend in the lovely weather we had then, watching all the Microlights and Sport planes and just thought I have to get back into this again!
I have booked a lesson at Full Sutton next week hope the weather holds out!
Many Thanks for your comments.
:ok:

pembroke
8th Oct 2011, 07:12
To correct a few points first:
"mrmum",
you are correct to say that the CAA will not allow revalidation or renewal of a rating without a valid medical, re. AIC W 080/2010, now canx. and AIC W 053/2011. This directly contradicts the advice in the FE handbook which states that a rating can be renewed or revalidated without a valid medical, but the PPL advised that they can't fly solo until they have the medical. I have written, e mailed and voice mailed the CFE and to date had no reply! In this case the "renewal" is over 5 years and will be dealt directly by the CAA.
"robbo22",
Lasors will clarify if you require both the written and the practical FRTOL, or speak to an RT examiner. There are NO other ground exams to take and this has been the case since just after JAR came in. There should be an oral exam on the aircraft flown for the test, plus in my case I try and bring the PPL back to as much of the significant "gumf" that has happened in the period off flying, such as JAR, EASA, ATCOCAS etc.
"WessexBoy"
It's a LST renewal, not a revalidation, in other words a general handling test, airwork and circuits, plus a VFR navigation element.
And to "Utterly", have a good look at alternatives to the SEP route. The NPPL(SSEA) is an attractive option but depends on how EASA works,re the LAPL. NPPL(M) is better in many ways, it's outside EASA, ie annex 2 and yet allows for great flying, on a UK licence and rating.
To those interested, it's worth downloading the CAA EASA document , yes all 36 pages, and it should be fairly clear what's happening, and more importantly, when

piper999
9th Oct 2011, 23:34
I have a PPL friend who hasn't flown in 20 years and was thinking about trying to renew his licence so thanks for this thread. If I understand it correctly, he will need his medical, will need to take air law and human factors exams and then pass a SEP revalidation? Excuse my ignorance but what does that entail or would someone kindly point me in the direction where I can find out for myself?

Thanks.

mrmum
10th Oct 2011, 00:23
Hi Utterly
I have booked a lesson at Full Sutton next week hope the weather holds out!
Just curious, but why Full Sutton? I've no opinion on them myself, but it's abit of a hike from Newcastle, and you've got a lot of nearer choices.

mrmum
10th Oct 2011, 00:29
I have written, e mailed and voice mailed the CFE and to date had no reply!Pembroke, please do let us know if you ever do get an answer. Although in my limited recent experience, they just don't answer difficult questions unless you direct it to a named appropriate individual at Gatwick.

mrmum
10th Oct 2011, 01:13
piper999,
If your friend got their PPL in the late seventies or eighties, then they will have a non-expiring "lifetime" licence, so shouldn't need to do anything with that.
He will need a medical.
He doesn't need to take Airlaw or HPL, nor indeed any of the theory exams (except possibly Radio-telephony) Although after a lengthy time away, he way be wise to do some theory refresher work.
He will have to renew, rather than revalidate, what is now his SEP(L) class rating. This is done by undertaking refresher training as required, then having a LST. This is what he will have known as a GFT, but with the addition of a visual navigation sector. You could try having a read through CAA standards document 19 to get an idea of what's involved.
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Standards%20Documents_srg_fcl_19_A%20v6_.pdf
He will probably need to renew his FRTOL, see LASORS B1.5-6

Alternatively, there's also the NPPL to consider
NPPL Home Page (http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/)

Utterly
11th Oct 2011, 20:02
Hi Mrmum
Thanks for your replies..to answer your question..
If you look at the map in the North East it is rather bereft of flight training schools. (Unlike Bristol area where I used to live!)
I have had a couple of hours at Durham Tees Valley, which is fine until I do circuits, unless I go elsewhere like Fishburn, same goes for Newcastle.(Eshott)
Wheras at Full Sutton no problem with circuits, cheap hire and friendly clubhouse. I would rather pay for the diesel to get there and get in some good flying than held in a pattern at TV or Ncastle.
Ohh by the way live on Teeside during week so not so far then.
Will let you know how I get on.
Thanks again for your interest.

mrmum
12th Oct 2011, 00:01
Yeah, I see what you mean, had a look at their website now. If those are current prices and include VAT I'd drive past a lot of the schools in CAS as well.

piper999
15th Oct 2011, 19:19
MrMum, thanks so much for your reply, it was extremely helpful, I shall pass the information on to my friend.