PDA

View Full Version : Hand on the flap lever - A scandinavian thing?

low n' slow
19th Jul 2011, 20:08
Hi all.

Had a discussion with a colleague yesterday about selecting flaps. During my MCC and ever since, the drill has been to hold the hand on the flaplever during selections until the new configuration is set. The discussion stemmed from having seen another colleague from continental europe letting go of the flap lever during selection.

I also recall during my flights as a contractor in southern europe (you meet all kinds) that allmost noone held their hand on the flap lever following the initial movement of the selector lever. It may sound silly, but from my previous experience it has been considered an important detail of operating the flaps, mainly due to the following reasons:

- Stabilizer stall, noticing elevator buffeting during flap movement may be indicative of a stabilizer stall. Quickly reselecting previous setting may avert the situation.

- Following the flap movement to notice any assymetries. If there is a flap brake of other protection system, it's all well but it might not function. Keeping it under supervision is good. In my previous type there even was a recall item incase of "flap fault" to reselect previous setting. This was type specific for the Saab 340, but also during my MCC in the F28 sim the method of operating the flaps were the same.

- Noting when the flap has set and thus selecting the new lower speed on the bugs. Perhaps only an issue on older clock type instruments. Letting go and doing other things may lead to forgetting the new speed.

Despite these good reasons, both me and my colleague whom I discussed this with had seen many examples of other pilots not at all familiar with this procedure. And thus I ask, is it a scandinavian thing or is it something that is emphasized during MCC/type rating courses in other parts of the world?

LnS

Tjosan
19th Jul 2011, 20:30
Hand on the flap lever - A scandinavian thing?

In the SAAB 340 case I believe it was introduced when Björn had the severe pitch down incident up north, having sandpaper ice on the horizontal stabilizer.

He could successfully recover by selecting flaps up. He tried twice with the same result for some strange reason before he convinced himself to use another setting rather than full.

I'll guess he had the accident at Oscar Bravo in mind, where the plane(forgotten the name) flipped over when selecting full flap and crashed due to ice on the HS.

Denti
19th Jul 2011, 21:38
Sounds more like a type specific issue rather than an airmanship item. Never heard or was taught this way of operating the flaps, but then all i've ever flown after my abinitio course was the 737 where it is not done that way. Would be extremely cumbersome with the FO as PF since he has his hands on the thrust lever and the CPT has to reach around his arms to operate the flaps on the other side of the flightdeck.

bfisk
19th Jul 2011, 22:05
Was taught this way during the MCC course and it has stuck with me since. If practical, I don't let go until verifying correct indication.

charlies angel
19th Jul 2011, 22:29
Depends on type.

We're probably all familiar with the phrase "limitation......operation......indication" when moving flaps,slats gear etc.

However, Monsieur le Airbus only requires that we observe the L and O portion of this rule since we will get an ECAM warning if selected position ( of lever ) disagrees with actual position of flaps etc.

Like Denti says its not good practise for crossed arms across the thrust lever quadrant or to hang onto the LG down lever for about 5 seconds before getting three greens and then removing your hand.

ECAM_Actions
19th Jul 2011, 23:35
I've seen the F/O keep his hand on the handle during transit on the heavies in the event of a problem. Makes good sense IMHO.

The following is a NASA Glenn Resarch video demonstrating tail icing, and its effect when changing config (it explains the sudden and violent pitch down).

‪NASA Tailplane Icing Video Glenn Research Center‬‏ - YouTube

Intruder
20th Jul 2011, 03:42
As noted above, it is type-specific...

I would NOT recommend doing it in the 744. The protections against against asymmetry are good, and you probably do NOT want to pre-emptively move the flap handle up (or down) again if there is a problem.

DutchOne
20th Jul 2011, 04:33
Would be extremely cumbersome with the FO as PF since he has his hands on the thrust lever and the CPT has to reach around his arms to operate the flaps on the other side of the flightdeck.

Twister in de cockpit!

FO left hand on thrust levers, CAPT right hand on flap lever, FO right foot on PFD 1, CAPT left foot on McDU :\

FullWings
20th Jul 2011, 07:54
Each to their own, I suppose, but I've always wondered about the habits some people have developed whereby they cling onto various knobs and levers on the flight deck, like a baby chimp to its mother.

It's not only the major flight controls, I've had guys with an attachment to the MCP speed selector as well as the VS adjuster.

I mean, come on, none of these things whizz around the cockpit hiding themselves as soon as you take your hand away. I do wonder about the mental capacity of those in question as they seem to be fixating on one item rather than taking in the whole picture... What happens if you need the speedbrake when both hands are occupied on other controls? I've watched pilots at 30,000' in smooth air maintain a death grip on the yoke and throttles with the autopilot engaged on a FBW aircraft. Only bad things can result from this, like getting used to fighting the autothrottle on the approach: one day it'll be doing something essential.

I can understand the need to cover or follow through on the controls in some circumstances, like in the latter stages of an autoland, where you may have to take over in short order. Pretty much all of the rest of the time, you can watch everything from a distance and intervene when necessary.

For flaps, all modern airliners that I know of have extensive asymmetry / overload protection and multiply redundant actuation - you only really need to check that *something* is trying to happen when you make the selection then you can turn your attention to other things. Alerting systems will bring it back if required.

stilton
20th Jul 2011, 08:25
Well said FW :ok:

Tee Emm
20th Jul 2011, 08:50
Each to their own, I suppose, but I've always wondered about the habits some people have developed whereby they cling onto various knobs and levers on the flight deck, like a baby chimp to its mother.
Airline cockpits are full of these gimmicks. It is usually someone's GOOD IDEA and becomes SOP. Like the PNF slyly grasping the control column during rotation or the flare or riding the rudder pedals just in case the PF has a heart attack or stroke. Childish nonsense has no place on a flight deck. Cold professionalism has.

main_dog
20th Jul 2011, 09:01
Ok guys, then fire away at this bad habit of mine: whenever I'm using speedbrake I often keep a hand lightly resting on the speedbrake lever. If I need the hand for something else I will remove it of course, but then will try to rest it on the lever again: if I don't, sure as eggs when I capture the next altitude I will forget about the speedbrake until the Eicas (or ECAM in my previous life) reminds me that I'm an idiot. :}

Flame-proof gear ON

Mercenary Pilot
20th Jul 2011, 10:12
whenever I'm using speedbrake I often keep a hand lightly resting on the speedbrake lever.

That is the recommended procedure specified by Boeing on the 744 even though EICAS does display a caution if the speedbrakes are extended in an inappropriate situation.

Denti
20th Jul 2011, 10:12
Well, boeings advice on the 737 is that the PF keeps his hand on the speedbrake lever whenever the speedbrakes are used in flight. I guess that is a lesson from the 757 accident.

Apart from that and the requirement to guard (but not with a deathgrip) the flight controls if one doesn't fly manually anyway at low altitude i guess FullWings summed it up nicely.