PDA

View Full Version : Which seat in a helicopter

IanPZ
17th May 2011, 17:25
Ok, so maybe this should be on rotorheads, who knows, but its a question from someone who is doing a PPL, so private, right!

I am sitting here watching Alaskas toughest pilots, and noticed that the guy who flies the helicopter does so from the right seat all the time, and puts passengers in the left hand seat.

Why? Surely PIC should be in the left hand seat

IPZ

Katamarino
17th May 2011, 17:29
As you may have guessed, in Helicopters the PIC tends to sit in the right hand seat.

No, I don't know why, but I am sure someone here does!

IanPZ
17th May 2011, 17:31
Now you mention it, I vaguely remember Mark Evans sitting in the right hand seat when learning in "A helicopter is born".

So, anyone know?

treadigraph
17th May 2011, 17:42
But...

The Bell 47 is flown from the left! Only helicopter I've ever had a ride in...

Any others?

cessnapete
17th May 2011, 18:30
Hughes 500

IanPZ
17th May 2011, 20:11
Not sweating it, but rather just wanted to know. Anyone out there have any idea as to the history and why things are different?

Dawdler
17th May 2011, 20:20
I think it has something to do with the US Military requirements. i.e. if a helicopter was originally a military machine (like the Hughes 500), the Army specified where they wanted the pilot to be sat.

JP1
17th May 2011, 20:28
Early days of fixed wing left hand circuits adopted as "norm" probably due to engine torque effects with large radials.

Aircraft carriers come along and control tower placed on starboard side to facilitate "normal" left hand circuits.

Helicopters come along, and flown off carriers. Pilot not wishing to crash into control tower, so default P1 seat right hand side.

(as discussed before on pprune)

Chilli Monster
17th May 2011, 20:50
Surely PIC should be in the left hand seat

Why should they?

It's convention - nothing more. There is no reason why the PiC can't be in the RHS if an aircraft was designed that way.

IanPZ
17th May 2011, 21:15
JP1, thanks for that. Makes sense.

Chilli, I know what you mean, its just that you'd sort of expect that since aviation is standardised to a greater extent across the world, so would things like where the PIC sits.

THanks all. IPZ

007helicopter
17th May 2011, 21:32
Ian Rotorheads managed 8 pages on this topic so if you want to try and find an exact answer you probably will not here:http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/50499-why-do-you-fly-right-hand-seat-2.html

IanPZ
17th May 2011, 21:35
well, that'll keep me busy for a while. Thanks!

Pilot DAR
18th May 2011, 00:10
In addition to the rotorheads link offered, which is probably chock a block full of information (I have not the time to read it right now), I will offer that most helicopters are designed to be flown from a particular seat, to the exclusion of the other. This is governed by controls offered for one position, and not the other, making full control from that side not possible.

As mentioned, the cyclic used used more in flight in the right hand, so if the collective on the left is more free, that hand can tune radios etc.

However, for some roles, it is necessary for the pilot to be on the left. Sling loading is a good example of this. Leaning out over the collective is much easier, than leaning away from it out the right side. Some designs do not include enough control from the left side to enable even a design change to allow left seat flying, so in some cases, sling loading with these types requires two pilots - one with full control, and the other to fly the load.

Generally, visibility is so good, and control so good, you don't really notice differences flying one side or the other in the same way you might in fixed wing.

For reference, only a few light fixed wing types actually specify which seat (left or right) is the PIC seat. For either type, if it is a requirement, the flight manual will say so.....

Whirlygig
18th May 2011, 06:35
I will offer that most helicopters are designed to be flown from a particular seat, to the exclusion of the other. This is governed by controls offered for one position, and not the other, making full control from that side not possible. Could make it it tricky for instructors.

The Schweizer 300C is flown from the left seat so that you can get three abreast; the 300CBi from the right. I've done both but right seat is easier from point of view of access to radios, instruments etc.

Cheers

Whirls

Mr Grimsdale
18th May 2011, 07:48
cessnapete
Helo seats
Hughes 500

Indeed, even in Magnum PI :8
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/PIandTC.jpg

IanPZ
18th May 2011, 22:47
thanks all for the responses. Still working through the pages you linked me to in rotorheads.

Personally, I like the explanation that the first ever instructors were too frightened to change seats. I can relate to that!

Thanks a oad

IPZ

FleetFlyer
19th May 2011, 10:17
Is that Magnum PI, or Magnum P1!?