YFlex
29th Nov 2010, 23:38
Does anyone operate either of these types B737NG/ DHC-8Q400
to CATIII minima?

If so, what's required to certify the aircraft to CATIII

Flex

adverse-bump
30th Nov 2010, 00:01
the dash 300 can be operated to CAT III mins provided certain options are fitted to the ac (ie HUDS)

and im am 99.99% sure the NG can autoland! (as with most of the 737 series)

Denti
30th Nov 2010, 04:52
The dash as said above can operate to CATIIIa limits if a HUD is installed (50ft DH). The 737NG can be flown manually to 50ft DH if a HUD is installed or use autoland/autorollout with no DH and 75m RVR (known as CAT IIIb) depending on installed options. With minimum or no optional stuff installed the 737 can use autoland and 50ft DH (CAT IIIa).

However that is only the technical side, an operator needs to provide the relevant training and operational experience to be able to fly either plane to CAT II or CAT III limits.

EW73
30th Nov 2010, 09:13
In my experience, 737 NGs with single HUD, but without autoland, (no dual autopilot capability) have no access to CAT III, and have a 100 foot minimum with autopilot engaged, and, of course, have to fly a manual go-around to minimum autopilot engage height.

EW73

Denti
30th Nov 2010, 09:32
Are there even NGs that are not autoland capable? Thought it is boeing minimum equipment standard to have dual autoland capability from the classic on. Just know that a single HUD is enough for CAT IIIa manual flight, same as on CRJs and similar installations. However some local authorities might see things differently.

ImbracableCrunk
30th Nov 2010, 10:03
I've worked for 2 different NG operators:

1) Hand flown CatIIIA with HUD or CatI Autoland - both Captain only

2) CatIIIA Autoland (Passive Fail!) Capt or FO.

YFlex
30th Nov 2010, 14:20
Thanks for the info.

I just transitioned off the 57 where I did CATIIIB (very nice when needed!!) :ok:

Was curious, now flying the 37NG (nil HUD) with a new company and only certified to CATII:bored: with Autoland
I was told only CATII capable due to no "Roll Out" on these 37s unlike the 57

Any further thoughts?
Flex

BOAC
30th Nov 2010, 14:27
Any further thoughts? - yes - your company needs an injection of brain cells or brighter monkeys.

Topper80
30th Nov 2010, 14:32
In my company all 737NG can operate in CAT IIIA by standard equipment (dual AP fail passive) and only 737NG with the Rollout option (will be fail operational) can operate to CAT IIIB.

YFlex
30th Nov 2010, 14:40
2right....All about Dollars and Cents here...So it's CATII for me:ouch:

2 OPCs CATII, CATIIIa cost money Go figure:mad:

Flex

Denti
30th Nov 2010, 15:50

Either your local authority is weird or your company does not tell you exactly the truth. For 50ft DH (CAT IIIa) you do not need any automatic rollout function. My guess is your new company wants to save some money on training and maintenance and therefore only uses CAT II.