PDA

View Full Version : A320 Low Visibility Briefing

fueltonoiseconverter
28th Dec 2009, 20:04
Hi,
I`m repeating the low visibility operations of my A320 rating at the moment.
Therefore I want to make a "frame" for the briefing of a CAT2/3 approaches.
It would be nice, if someone could help me out with it.
At the moment it looks like this:
-seating pos. & cockpit lights
-destination & alternate weather
-airfield and operational status CATII/III
-a/c system statuas à ECAM
-approach procedure
-callouts

1000ft RA checked
below 1000ft RA à AH 100ft for any malefunction GA
500ft RA checked
350ft RA LAND
200ft RA and below AUTOLAND warning à GA
ckeck 40ft RA FLARE
--> thereafter the normal FMGC briefing with minimum and GA....
Than you!

thetimesreader84
28th Dec 2009, 22:10
The way I remember it for CatII ops is 4A's, a B and a C:

Aircraft? (is a/c CatII capable, autopilot serviceable, everyone sat as they should be, lights set as appropriate?)
Aircrew? (Both crew CatII current?)
Airfield? (Airfield have a serviceable CatII ILS, LVPs in force? Wx?)
Alternate? (Airfield above CatI minima, weather?)

Brief the plate as you usually would, making sure the other guy is aware of the DH and Vis needed, Cat I reversion, and LVP runway exits / taxi routes.

Finally, review the Calls that you will make, and what you are expecting from the other guy, including the actions after a go-around, and who is PF/PNF at which point.

Now, this is for turboprop Cat II, but might be a starting point for your needs? I feel a mnemonic helps you to remember everything you need to, especially when you are still learning. :ok:

Good luck!

TTR

Kirks gusset
29th Dec 2009, 16:50
Mention the point at which the approach ban or Cat 1 reversion may happen. As usually the FO flys the approach and the Cpt lands, sort out the trust lever hand over, nothing worse than landing holding hands!
Also, what you expect to see at decision, lights etc

DesiPilot
1st Jan 2010, 19:14
This is from our company manual

TASK SHARING DURING CAT II / III A / B APPROACH AND LANDING.

The work load is distributed in such a way that the PF primary task are supervision and decision making, and the PNF primary task is monitoring, operations of the automatic system.

- PNF will stay head down throughout the approach, roll out and in case of Go-Round upto acceleration altitude or landing until roll-out is completed.
- PNF will call 1000’ and 500' on pressure altitude (Calls barometric height as required)
- PNF will monitor auto calls by 400' and if mo auto calls you will call 100' above and minimums.
- PNF will monitor FMA and calls mode changes as required

CAT II/III A/B BRIEFING

FLIGHT PREPARATION

Pre-flight Preparation

- Review "NOTAMS" to make sure that the destination airport still needs visual or non-visual aids as per CAT-II or CAT-IlIA requirements.
- Aircraft Status -Check the required equipment for CAT-II or CAT-IIIA approaches are operative -Check entry in PDR Book under "Acceptance" MEL.
- Crew Qualification and Currency must be reviewed (Both Captain and First Officer must be qualified and current).
- Weather information. Check weather conditions at destination and alternates. Required RVR values must be available for CAT II/III approaches. The selected alternate must have weather conditions equal to or better than CAT I.
- Fuel Planning
-Additional extra fuel should be considered for possible approach delays.

Approach Preparation
- The briefing should include normal items as for any IFR arrivals and in addition, the following subjects should be covered prior to the approach briefing.

1) CHECK THE WEATHER with ATC & If CAT-II/IlIA operation is in progress.
2) REVIEW MINIMA (weather for downgrading conditions).
3) Discuss ALERT HEIGHT, if applicable.
4) CREW QUALIFICATION (Both Commander & First Officer).
5) AIRCRAFT SYSTEM "STATUS" AND CAPABILITY (STBY HORIZON -NO RED FLAG).

6) ARM AUTO-BRAKES (LOW / MED).
7) FUEL STATUS (Sufficient for slow traffic and diversion).
8) DO NOT MAKE ANY SWITCHING BELOW 1000 ft pressure altitude'. Any failure or degrading conditions below 1000' AGL to DH (OR Alert Height, if applicable) requires a GO-AROUND, unless visual reference has been established. For a failure below Alert Height the Pilot may continue to DH except in case of "AUTOLAND" light flashing.

9) AUTOLAND OR MANUAL LAND (NOTE: AP's OFF not lower than 80 ft. RA -In case of CAT II). FOR CAT III A auto land is mandatory.

10) ADJUST SEATS WITH the RED & WHITE BALLS.
11) DON'T USE STROBES & LANDING lights especially at night (dome light OFF).

12) BRIEF REVIEW OF TASK SHARING -YOU will remain heads down (CM1 is PF and CM2 is PNF).

13) Appropriate IFR arrival and Approach Chart Briefing to be carried out and Go- around procedure to be reviewed.

14) MINlMA CHANGES DUE TO DOWN GRADING CONDITIONS, STATUS OF GROUND INSTALLATION AND / OR AIR-BORNE EQUIPMENT.

DOWNGRADING CONDITIONS

Above 1 000 ft:
Downgrading conditions
a) Downgrading from CAT III TO CAT II is permitted only if:
-ECAM actions are completed
-RVR is at least equal to CAT II minima
-briefing is amended to include CAT II procedure and DH
-decision to downgrade is completed above 1000 ft AGL

b) Downgrading from CAT II to CAT I permitted only if:

-ECAM actions are completed -atleast one FD is available
-RVR is at least equal to CAT I minima
-briefing is amended to include CA T1 procedure and DH
-the decision to downgrade is completed above 1000 ft AGL

Below 1000 ft and above DH (for CAT II or CAT III SINGLE) or above AH (for CAT III DUAL) a go-around must be performed in case of:
-ALPHA FLOOR activation
-loss of AP (cavalry charge)
-downgrading of capability (clic, clic, clic)
-amber caution (single chime)
-engine failure