PDA

View Full Version : MNPS diverts

737ngpilot
17th Dec 2009, 03:22
A MAYDAY call to me indicates dire circumstances with maybe a questionable outcome. A PAN call is something urgent but not desperate. Is a MAYDAY call the same as declaring an Emergency or not. It seams to me that declaring an emergency gives the crew more latitude and less scrutiny from the authorities.

V1... Ooops
17th Dec 2009, 03:50
I have always understood that a MAYDAY call is a priori an explicit declaration of an emergency.

A PAN call, on the other hand, indicates urgency but not an emergency.

Permanent Standby
17th Dec 2009, 10:32
V1 is correct. You only have 2 options (well 3 in the US)

Emergency - imminent danger or loss of life (MAYDAY)
Urgency - Urgent situation but not necessarily life threatening (PANPAN)
In the US I believe you also have "minimum fuel advisory"? a kind of PAN but not applicatble in the UK.. I am sure my American cousins will put me right

Jumbo Driver
17th Dec 2009, 11:33
... Is a MAYDAY call the same as declaring an Emergency or not ...

Of course a MAYDAY is declaring an emergency. If a MAYDAY is not an emergency, what is ... ? :confused:

Reading UK CAP 493 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP493Part1adv.pdf) Manual of Air Traffic Services Part 1, Section 5 Chapter 1 (especially para 4 Distress and Urgency Messages) might help to put it all into perspective ...

I'm sure you have a US equivalent ...

JD
:)

Spooky 2
17th Dec 2009, 12:10
MAYDAY is most certainly an Emergency. PAN on the other hand stands for "Possible Assistance Needed" which does not rise to the level of an Emrgency distress call. These are ICAO terms and I believe understood (or should be), all over the world.

Jumbo Driver
17th Dec 2009, 12:41
... PAN on the other hand stands for "Possible Assistance Needed" which does not rise to the level of an Emrgency distress call.

Spooky 2, this may be your way of remembering what a PAN call means but I think that you are merely quoting a useful acronym. I believe the origin for both calls comes from the French M'aidez ("help me") and Panne (meaning "breakdown"). The explanation of the difference is contained in the following:

Distress: A condition of being threatened by serious and/or imminent danger and of requiring immediate assistance.
Urgency: A condition concerning the safety of an aircraft or other vehicle, or of some person on board or within sight, but which does not require immediate assistance.
MAYDAY is classed as "Distress" and PAN PAN is an "Urgency" call. However, both calls are classified as Emergency messages.

JD
:)

Spooky 2
17th Dec 2009, 13:55
:ok:Thanks JD! I was suspect and your right it did come from a Boeing manual list of acronyms.

737ngpilot
17th Dec 2009, 15:57
Thanks guys, good info.........if I understand JD correctly, there is no need to declare and emegrency once PAN has been established

Permanent Standby
17th Dec 2009, 18:33
Read JD's post above, its spot on! Emergency is usually regarded as a MAYDAY but to be technically correct you need to specify or ATC will assume a MAYDAY - not necessarily what you want depending on circumstances.

737ngpilot
17th Dec 2009, 20:05
Thanks guys, good info.........if I understand JD correctly, there is no need to declare and emergency once PAN has been established