PDA

View Full Version : VFR flight planning and navigation software I've written

Pages : [1] 2

Tim Dawson
3rd Sep 2009, 15:56
Hi guys,

I've been hanging around here a while now, rarely posting but all the time secretly developing a suite of software just for VFR pilots like you fine folks. It comprises flight-planning software for your home PC and in-flight GPS navigation software for your mobile phone. This software has recently reached the beta stage and if any of you would like to try it, you'd be most welcome to do so.

It's loaded with data for the UK and Ireland, and you can download data for the USA or France also if you'd rather (or if you're curious). There's a fully interactive moving map, plotting a route is as easy as clicking on consecutive waypoints and it will download and plot NOTAMs, TAFs and METARs for you automatically. You can then simply print off a PLOG with all the calculations/frequencies you need to take with you, and go.

My background: I run a successful software company and I'm also a PPL, so I did this as a "side project". It will probably become commercial software at some point, to compete with the other VFR flight-planning software out there, but for the moment while I consider it unfinished, everyone can use it for free. It certainly makes the jobs of planning and even flying easier (though I do say so myself). Naturally I'm after your feedback, so please post here giving your thoughts, or contact me through the website if you'd rather.

It's called SkyAngel and you can read more about it, and download it, here (http://fly.styli.sh). I hope you find it useful. They say a picture is worth a thousand words so I'll try and attach a few screenshots.

http://fly.styli.sh/plan/screenshot_500.png (http://fly.styli.sh/plan/screenshot.png)
http://fly.styli.sh/inflight/screenshot_400.png (http://fly.styli.sh/inflight/screenshot.png)
http://fly.styli.sh/plan/feature_map_400.png (http://fly.styli.sh/plan/feature_map.png)

VFR Transit
3rd Sep 2009, 16:23
What costs are involved, as this type of program would not be on the free market!!

is it s trial download?
monthly payment?

VFR

liam548
3rd Sep 2009, 16:53
any chance of creating the software to run on symbian devices not just windows mobile?

140KIAS
3rd Sep 2009, 17:10
Im a fan of online/computer planning tools. I tend to use Jepp Flitestar and Skybook GA. Also occassionally the Notam plot feature on UKGA. Ive tried Navbox and the other Notam tools but didnt take to them.

Ive just installed your package and had a quick initial 'play'. However this is no toy - I'm absolutely speechless at what you have created.

I'll try and provide some feedback soon.

BRL
3rd Sep 2009, 17:29
I am hoping this is free............ :)

englishal
3rd Sep 2009, 18:25
This looks pretty flash! I'm downloading it as I type and will give feedback. Any chance of an Android version ;)

Excellent, keep up the good work!

Cheers

englishal
3rd Sep 2009, 18:31
Yep that is SLICK! Great program, now if you make this do ALL preflight functions, weather, Notams etc., then I reckon you could clear up the preflight planning market.

englishal
3rd Sep 2009, 18:34
PS you are not based at EGHS are you? I see your demo routes start from there ;)

Shunter
3rd Sep 2009, 18:51
Nice. Very nice indeed. Quite often with flight planning software one thinks, I wish it would do x, y or z... All those things seem to be quickly and intuitively accessible.

I'd certainly consider paying for it when released commercially. I'd also love to give it a try on my phone, but I'd take an educated guess there's no chance of a Cocoa port on the horizon.

stickandrudderman
3rd Sep 2009, 19:26
At first glance this looks absolutely brilliant!
It took me a couple of minutes to work out how to change the default cruise speed and I haven't yet worked out of the live weather will automatically enter the wind speed/direction into the plog but will have a longer look over the weekend.
Well done you Sir!:D

liam548
3rd Sep 2009, 19:54
At first glance this looks absolutely brilliant!
It took me a couple of minutes to work out how to change the default cruise speed and I haven't yet worked out of the live weather will automatically enter the wind speed/direction into the plog but will have a longer look over the weekend.
Well done you Sir!:D

i cant work out the live wx either

Black Prince
3rd Sep 2009, 20:00
This looks very impressive. Very quick and intuitive. Well done. :D
Is it possible to overide the leg altitude below the MSA? It seems that at the moment it's possible to increase the intended cruise altitude by simply dragging the pink line on the elevation, but not decrease it. If not, then even if the MSA is the default, I think an overide would be very useful for VFR.

Gertrude the Wombat
3rd Sep 2009, 20:24
Er ...

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.
************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Year, Month, and Day parameters describe an un-representable DateTime.
at System.DateTime.DateToTicks(Int32 year, Int32 month, Int32 day)
at Divelements.Aviation.Weather.Metar.ParseWeatherReportMonth(S tring dayOfMonth)
at Divelements.Aviation.Weather.Taf.Parse(MessageLog messageLog, String tafData)
at Divelements.Aviation.FlightPlanner.Briefing.WeatherDownloadM anager.ProcessDownloadedTafs(String data)
at Divelements.Aviation.FlightPlanner.Briefing.WeatherDownloadM anager.OnFinishedDownload(BackgroundQueueJob job)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SkyAngel
Assembly Version: 0.9.1.27550
Win32 Version: 0.9.1.27550
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyAngel%20Plan/SkyAngel.exe
Divelements.SandGrid
Assembly Version: 2.2.1.1
Win32 Version: 2.2.1.1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyAngel%20Plan/Divelements.SandGrid.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
SandDock
Assembly Version: 3.0.5.1
Win32 Version: 3.0.5.1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyAngel%20Plan/SandDock.DLL
Divelements.Aviation
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyAngel%20Plan/Divelements.Aviation.DLL
Divelements.Aviation.Routing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyAngel%20Plan/Divelements.Aviation.Routing.DLL
Divelements.Aviation.EntityData
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyAngel%20Plan/Divelements.Aviation.EntityData.DLL
SandBar
Assembly Version: 1.4.2.1
Win32 Version: 1.4.2.1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyAngel%20Plan/SandBar.DLL
System.Web.Services
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Web.Services/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.Services.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.
For example:
<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>
When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Molesworth 1
3rd Sep 2009, 22:35
Very nice with some innovative features.

The Enroute Features is a blast! I also like the way the Notams load in the background.

It needs fine tuning and feedback from users. I would suggest calling it a Beta and not a Trial Version at this stage (you'll be in trouble with the mods if you asking for money for a non Trial Version).

Needs a help file - not really professional without one. A lot of it is intuitive and should make a lot of the cheaper commercially available planning software cringe with embarrassment.

How do you change the default TAS, for example. This is quite a basic requirement.

Well done - but it needs polishing.

Tim Dawson
3rd Sep 2009, 22:43
Thanks everyone for trying it and giving your feedback. I'll try and answer your questions as best I can.

VFR Transit, the software will probably cost money at some point in the future but for the moment it's free, while it's "unfinished".

The software will only run on Windows Mobile devices because those devices are the only ones I know about writing software for.

englishal, I consider both Henstridge and Compton Abbas to be "home" airfields, though I don't keep a plane at either. Are you local?

stickandrudderman, the live weather is METAR and TAF data, neither of which is suitable to be applied as wind for route calculations, hence the box at the top for you to enter such data (from the met 215). Unfortunately I don't yet have a feed of enroute wind information at altitude. If anyone knows of one, do let me know!

liam548, as you plot a route the TAF and METAR data for airfields near the route will appear on the graphical route depiction at the bottom. You can also switch to the TAF and METAR windows at the bottom for a more detailed view. Additionally you can right-click any airfield and request weather data for it, but of course not all provide it.

Black Prince, it is not currently possible to plan a route altitude at less than what the software considers "safe". If people think this should be overridable, then I'll make it overridable. I know nobody likes software to boss them around ;)

Gertrude, thanks for reporting that error, I'll take a look into it. It would help to know what station produced the TAF that caused it to choke, if you can remember (or what your route was), but I'll ensure that in the next version you'll see a much friendlier response than that.

Has anyone tried the USA data?

Tim Dawson
3rd Sep 2009, 22:49
Molesworth, it certainly is a beta. I don't think I've referred to it as a trial version, and it's not even possible to pay for it. Getting the kind of feedback you just gave is the goal at the moment.

Double-click any route segment (in the map or in the route plan window) to bring up its properties, where you can change the planned speed, altitude and wind for that segment. Not at all obvious, you're completely right.

Rest assured a help file will be forthcoming.

HeliCraig
4th Sep 2009, 07:51
What a lovely piece of software - coming from someone who also writes it! Well done. :D

With a couple of minor tweaks, and possibly a few extra features which may require purchase / licencing, it will be my preferred choice easily - which I would happily pay for!

Couple of thoughts:

1. Really like the way Generate plan picks up relevant freq's for your route - although it does appear to miss out Farnborough Radar (I planned EGBE - EGLL, and although it picked up Brize Radar no F'borough - presumably because it isn't a nearby airfield?).

2. The ability to "schedule" a plan for the future would be nice. For instance if I wanted to fly to Sywell tomorrow, could I see NOTAMS that are relevant (and for tomorrow for instance there is RA(T) at Sywell), but I don't appear to be able to do this.

3. The software which comes with my FlyMap allows me to "drag" the course line, and thus create a way point. For instance to the edge of CAS in order to avoid it.

4. The ability to add a user defined way point is very helpful, especially for us heli-pilots for things like hotels and private sites. Is this what the "Insert Pin" function does on a right click? I can't see how.

5. Be really nice to double click on a airfield to see basic information (runways, freqs, etc) - even nicer if you could buy an electronic pooleys / afe subscription and see the plate; or maybe a link to the PDF on the NAT AIS / AIP site?

6. Maybe also the ability to purchase the CAA digital charts and use those - although the data used to generate the "map" does seem excellent.

7. Some way of permanently acknowledging the initial msg box re: don't rely on this - it could get annoying after a while.

8. Ability to print a zoomed in section of map; even nicer if linked with number 6!

None of this is meant as a criticism, obviously, but I do seem to have gone on a bit. Really really like it, excellent work - if you need any help / advice / ideas just PM me!

C.

Freightops
4th Sep 2009, 08:44
I must say it is a very nice and admirable what you have done.
Will you at a later stage include Germany & Benelux?

Ultranomad
4th Sep 2009, 08:55
Tim, will there be a way for users to add their own maps - and/or maybe to contribute maps to a publicly downloadable common library?

funflier44
4th Sep 2009, 09:44
Looks good but it doesn't work on real computers - Apple:bored:

OK I'll get my coat ;)

HeliCraig
4th Sep 2009, 10:09
Looks good but it doesn't work on real computers - Applehttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wbored.gif

OK I'll get my coat

Oh, go on then - I'll bite. I'm running it on my Mac! :ok:

englishal
4th Sep 2009, 10:19
Just been playing with it a bit more - it really is a superb depiction of airspace - the clearest I've seen I reckon. The weather and Notam data is brilliant - nice to see graphical notams again. I hope you get it finished soon as I'd certainly buy a copy.

A few notes (constructive criticism!):
The default airspace filter is <2500 I think. Maybe set this to FL100-125 as this is a realistic maximum that most simple SEPs VFR will transit at?
Make airways default to ON.
Another nice feature would be right click > Insert Way-point here.
It would be good if you could click an airspace item (like a DA) and it brings up the info on it?

:ok:

(I'm based at EGHS)

funflier44
4th Sep 2009, 10:40
HeliCraig you have a PM.

srayne
4th Sep 2009, 10:43
Congratulations this is a very accomplished piece of software with excellent clear graphics and some really useful features.

Is there a help file available (I am having trouble working out exactly how to enter and modify waypoints using the map).

When trying this out on my smartphone (Eten X500 running WM6.1) there is a long pause when starting (with the usual windows rotating circle) and then I get the following error displayed:

SkyAngel.exe TypeLoadException File or assembly name 'Sytem.Windows.Forms, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=969DB8053D3322AC', or one of its dependencies was not found.

The TAF "AMD EGUL 230804 28015G25KT 9999 SCT030 BKN050 QNH3000INS" is causing an error due to the "QNH3000INS" item.

I am looking forward to trying this out for real when it's a bit more developed.

Simon

VictorGolf
4th Sep 2009, 10:58
Exxcellent stuff and very clear "mapping". However being a complete computer numpty I'm not sure how to add my home airfield. Bedford Castle Mill is also on there and has long since been disused. Great work though.

Tim Dawson
4th Sep 2009, 10:59
HeliCraig, thanks for the detailed feedback. Embarrassingly, the radar services data was missing the new-style Farnborough polygons. Now fixed, and you'll see correct output in the next release. Incidentally, how on earth are you running this on a mac? Installed Windows on it?

Regarding scheduling, are you looking for a means of filtering the NOTAM window so that you could say, for example, "only NOTAMS relevant to tomorrow"? I note that the RA(T) is showing for Sywell already. Bonus: If you click on a NOTAM containing a Red Arrows formation transit, it's plotted on the map so you can see exactly where they're going.

To create a user-defined waypoint, ctrl-click on the map. A window then pops up allowing you to define is as a literal coordinate or by reference to an existing waypoint (VOR etc). Also, you can shift-click anywhere on the map and a different window will pop up showing you a distance-sorted list of waypoints close to that position, including minor towns that might not be plotted on the map. I clearly need to add a right-click option for this too, so I'll put that on the list. Also user waypoints are not currently persisted, so that will need to be addressed.

I agree that double-clicking on an airfield should show some kind of approach-plate-like presentation of all the data we have for it. Linking to the one on AIS is a great idea. Bonus: even now, if you zoom right in on an airfield, all its runways will appear (including dimensions) in their correct positions (where available).

I'm curious, do many people want to be able to print the map from SkyAngel? I don't want to get into a situation where somebody is trying to use it as a proper chart; as good as our data is, I can't make those sorts of guarantees.

Freightops, I'd love to include other countries. Compiling the data is a very laborious process, though. If anyone knows of anyone who would be willing to help us "support" a country by getting this data together, I'm sure arrangements could be made.

Anton, I'd love to enable the importing of raw data by those people who have a mind to create it. Would you be looking to import airfields, or some other entities?

englishal, thanks for the comments on airspace depiction, it's an area I've spent a huge amount of time tweaking to be as clear as possible. I disagree with setting the default airspace filter to FL100 but I'm happy to be proved wrong if the prevailing opinion is that this should be visible by default. Also note that although airways are turned off on the main map for clarity, they will appear in enroute features if you attempted a route that went through one.

All the info we have on DAs is shown in the tooltip that appears when you hover over them. If there were any more data I would agree with a separate window, but can't justify it right now.

Aha, so you're at EGHS, eh? Let's go for a pint at the pub and discuss further...

Tim Dawson
4th Sep 2009, 11:08
srayne, no help file for the moment I'm afraid. By the time of the next release, I will try to write one. In the meantime reading my replies in this thread should address the common how-tos.

Regarding your smartphone, it sounds like you need to install the .net compact framework 3.5 from Microsoft which is a requirement of SkyAngel.

You're quite correct that our TAF parser doesn't yet understand QNH forecasts; I'll get this fixed.

VictorGolf you can't actually add airfields in this version so you haven't missed anything! You can, however, ctrl-click on the map to create a user-defined waypoint that you can treat as an airfield. Unfortunately this won't be saved next time you open the software. This is an issue that'll be addressed for the next release.

Thanks all!

Gertrude the Wombat
4th Sep 2009, 11:11
I disagree with setting the default airspace filter to FL100 but I'm happy to be proved wrong if the prevailing opinion is that this should be visible by default. Also note that although airways are turned off on the main map
First thing I did was set FL100 and turn airways on. Not all of us creep around in the hedges! - a default to show all airspace for which you don't need oxygen would seem reasonable to me.

chrisN
4th Sep 2009, 11:18
Tim, see your pm's. Chris N.

Munnyspinner
4th Sep 2009, 11:26
Excellent piece of kit. Well done.

Suggest that you speak to the Flightnav.co.uk boys who have been working on airfield information cards. Their aim is to keep the site free for use presumably by selling advertising.

The only obvious improvement would be if CAA were to publish air navigation data electronically - but then .....

Ultranomad
4th Sep 2009, 11:53
Anton, I'd love to enable the importing of raw data by those people who have a mind to create it. Would you be looking to import airfields, or some other entities?
Not just airfields, but everything, layer by layer, time permitting. There are various mapping data freely available.
By the way, are you using just the digital 3D terrain for terrain presentation or graphic images as well? In the latter case, different users may prefer different styles, so allowing people to scan their favourite maps (or convert existing digital charts) and insert them into the program may be a good idea.

mad_jock
4th Sep 2009, 12:44
Cracking bit of software.

Would it be possible to search for Nav aids by there idents eg ADN,NGL etc.

I know its only meant for VFR but with a few changes it would be very usefull for sub FL100 IFR the vertical profile with airspace is superb

Brooklands
4th Sep 2009, 13:01
Tim,

I think that it would be worth your while putting this on the Flyer forums as well.

Brooklands

tlowther
4th Sep 2009, 14:04
Amazing software, got both applications working fine.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but it might be useful if when hovering the pointer over a VOR that it's details pop up ??

Tim

Maoraigh1
4th Sep 2009, 15:55
Very impresive, I .can’t find a way to dog-leg a route. F4 opens a search box, and inserting a pin does not allow me to route via it. Applications were EGPI – EGPE remaining S of Highland Restricted Area, and EGEC-EGPG keeping to N of EGPF airspace.

seat 0A
5th Sep 2009, 07:23
Sounds and looks a lot like Home of the PocketFMS Foundation. (http://www.pocketfms.com)
Great bit of software that also runs on the majority of car-navigators. That way you get a 7 inch screen moving-map for as little as 230 pounds.

I have no interest in either one of these programs, I just think that it`s great to see these developments.

yakker
5th Sep 2009, 17:37
As I fly from a farm strip how do I enter its details so every time I open Skyangel Plan it is still shown on the map?

Doglegging a route is messy as entering a user defined waypoint, then re-planning to use it finds you crossing an airspace, means guessing another waypoint and re-planning. It would be better if you could drag and drop the route.

Otherwise the basics of a good planner.

Tim Dawson
5th Sep 2009, 18:39
Anton, I'm going to make sure that in the next release it'll be possible to add your own data to it quite easily. Maybe not all types of data to start with, but certainly important bits (airfields, runways). Terrain drawing is done dynamically, there are no images. There's a page up on the SkyAngel site about the terrain data we use if you're interested.

mad_jock, searching for a waypoint by its ident is as easy as typing in uppercase in the waypoint finder window. Ctrl-F, EGHA, takes you to Compton Abbas. Radio aids and reporting points work the same way.
tlowther, we should definitely include waypoint details in the tooltip; good idea.

To dog-leg a route: just click on an existing route segment to select it, then click a waypoint to insert that waypoint in the route segment. You can ctrl-click to create a new one and select that. Is this too difficult? Are you expecting to be able to just drag a route on to a new waypoint rather than clicking twice?

yakker, the next release (which will be next week) will keep your user waypoints from one session to the next, and it'll also allow you to have your own personal database so you can add to the airfield database included with it. See above re doglegging a route, I'm interested in this because a lot of people seem to be having problems with it.

Gertrude the Wombat
5th Sep 2009, 20:01
You can ctrl-click to create a new one and select that. Is this too difficult?
Yes it is, when there's no obvious indication, until you posted it here, that ctrl-click does anything useful. It's not a standard Windows operation so it needs documenting clearly and obviously otherwise people won't find it.

mossie1960
5th Sep 2009, 20:12
Like it - would buy it.

I prefer the "drag route to where you need it " method as used on Navbox and my 296..... if you are doing a poll Tim !

But your product is good...

Cheers

Tim Dawson
5th Sep 2009, 22:33
Ctrl-click to create a waypoint is by no means obvious, but I was actually referring to the first part; to dogleg a route, click on the route then click on the waypoint by which you want to break it.

CRX
5th Sep 2009, 22:49
Hello Tim,
Just tried to install on my device and got the following message (after upgrading to NET 3.5)

'Cant find an entry point 'SHIdleTimerReset' in a PInvoke DLL 'aygshell.dll'

Then it quits....

Any idea how to resolve?
Thanks,

Paul.

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Sep 2009, 09:20
to dogleg a route, click on the route then click on the waypoint by which you want to break it
What's "obvious" is what people are used to.

What people are used to is Google maps.

A similar interface would be to drag a segment of the route, which would rubber-band it as two segments, and you could then drop the new vertex onto a waypoint.

If indeed you really need to create the waypoints first; people might like to just drag bits of their route around to avoid CAS, glider sites etc without having to do a separate operation to create a new waypoint for each vertex. Even better might be to auto-create new waypoints for each vertex, present them suitably in the plan (eg as bearing/distance from a VOR/DME, something that's easy to enter into a GPS), but not persist them other than with the particular route.

Tim Dawson
6th Sep 2009, 20:36
CRX, thanks, it seems some devices don't have that DLL and so I've added detection for this ready for the next release so you then won't encounter this error.

Gertrude, you're absolutely right and I've added rubber-band dragging of turning points and route segments in the next version. It works well and is more intuitive than the current release.

Katamarino
7th Sep 2009, 09:54
I'd love it if it exported to my Garmin 296...I'd love it even more if it did this before this saturday so I can try it out on my next flight :}

And, of course, had data for Benelux and Germany! :ok:

What is involved in adding data for you? NL doesn't have that many airports to enter, for a start...if it's easy I could have a crack at it.

Tim Dawson
7th Sep 2009, 11:43
Can the Garmin 296 read .gpx files? I've added preliminary support for exporting to that format ready for this week's release.

Assembling data for airfields is pretty straightforward and this week's release will allow you to do this. You'll need to compile an airfields file and a runways file, both in .csv format. I'll get the formats documented and put the documentation on the SkyAngel website.

Katamarino
7th Sep 2009, 12:15
Hmm, none of the Garmin manuals appear to say anything at all about using their software. Helpful...

I'll play around tonight and try to find out.

MANAGP
7th Sep 2009, 16:23
Excellent work so far.

Could the software automatically check for updates?

vabsie
7th Sep 2009, 16:55
Hi Tim

I just quickly scanned through all of the threads and have not downloaded the software (yet).

But regarding the conversation on whether to display or not display airways (and other things for that matter).

It might be useful to have a configuration file where most of these setting can be kept so that users can customize the software so that all of their default settings will be the same again when they login the next time.

Your screen-prints look great though and I will comment some more once I've had a chance to play with it.

Vabsie

bambuko
7th Sep 2009, 17:10
...Can the Garmin 296 read .gpx files? I've added preliminary support for exporting to that format ready for this week's release...Don't know about Garmin, but my AvMap EKP IV has GPX-USRIMG converter !!

Look forward to trying SkyAngel Plan, especially since AvMap ended support for the PC-Planner from C-Map (and just as well, since it was c**p).

This might be very good solution :ok:

Tim Dawson
8th Sep 2009, 21:56
vabsie, that's exactly how it works. You can turn most mapped entities on or off, on the main map. Regardless of whether they're turned on or not, they appear in the enroute features window if you clash with them. And regardless of your setting above which airspace is not shown, if you plot a route at that altitude, it IS shown.

bambuko, the new version that'll be released this week has the ability to export to .GPX but I've done it by referencing what's in the GPX reference only, so there's a chance it won't work. Feel free to private message me and I'll get an early version to you if you'd like to test it.

We also have fuel planning in this week's release.

jxc
9th Sep 2009, 08:18
I have just tried downloading it and link not working ?

Justiciar
9th Sep 2009, 08:29
Tim:

will this run on the small FlyAngel/Road Angel hardware, i.e. the Navigator 5000/7000 series? I am never sure whether they are running Windows CE or something else! I ask because I have both in the family, having bought FlyAngel a couple of years ago from the then UK agent. I like it because it has a long battery life (no power feed in the cockpit) and I can strap it to my leg (little space in the cockpit!).

Tim Dawson
9th Sep 2009, 09:02
jxc, link now working. Server problems.

Justiciar, I have absolutely no idea I'm afraid.

HeliCraig
9th Sep 2009, 09:14
Tim - one more thing: Can we add the ability to find / search by ICAO code?

I just tried EGBB in the find box - no luck!

Tim Dawson
9th Sep 2009, 09:40
EGBB works just fine; you did write in capitals, like the box tells you to, right?

HeliCraig
9th Sep 2009, 10:08
PICNIC. :ugh:

In my defence the seach bar on the menu strip doesn't say anything about caps!

Tim - why is it so fussy about capitalisation? egbb doesn't work, but EGBB does; LIVERPOOL doesn't work but liverpool does! Maybe consider retrying the search with different capitalisation if no results from first find - might improve useability.

C.

Tim Dawson
9th Sep 2009, 10:26
Oh, THAT box! Yeah, that one doesn't give you any hints about uppercase. You'll be pleased to hear that since many people have missed this feature, you no longer have to use uppercase when searching by identifier in the forthcoming version (due tomorrow).

wsmempson
9th Sep 2009, 14:39
Tim,

this looks great, but it won't run on my Mac....

Funnily enough, neither will the AFPEX site. Is there a message here for mac owners?
:ooh:

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Sep 2009, 15:14
Is there a message here for mac owners?
Same message there always has been for buying computer hardware. The correct order is:

(1) decide what applications you want to run

(2) research on what hardware you can run those applications

(3) choose from what you've found.

HeliCraig
9th Sep 2009, 15:43
Same message there always has been for buying computer hardware. The correct order is:

(1) decide what applications you want to run

(2) research on what hardware you can run those applications

(3) choose from what you've found.

Very true.

You can run almost all windows software on a Mac - by running it either in a Virtual Machine using something like VMWare Fusion, or using the built in BootCamp. :ok:

chickenwingz
9th Sep 2009, 15:55
Looking forward to the next version, what a great piece of software. Spot on.

Can I suggest:

Configurable Weight and balance charts
Option to bring up 214/215/414/415 at a button press somewhere
Configurable terrain clearance & MSA

I've set up a dummy route Caernarfon EGCK across Snowdon area and it only seems to place my altitude at 4100ft AMSL when the route leg is within 1-2 miles of the obstacle or spot height.

I'd love it if it had an option to route at 1000ft above anything 5miles either side of track, and MSA set to 1000ft above sectors highest object/spot height (e.g 4900ft AMSL for Snowdon area).

Its got great potential. Also noticed the SWB (Shawbury) VOR seems absent, has it died?

Great software, can't wait for the next beta version...

Suggestions - probably best done as user configurable options:

Allow control of MSA (I prefer 1000ft above MEF for a sector)
Allow control of clearance height about elevations, spot heights and obstacles.
(I routed over the top of Snowdon - 3590ft I think, and it placed me at 4100ft - I'd prefer 1000ft over in case I was not visual)
Allow setting of track width...using Snowdon as my example, only when routing within 1-2 miles of the peak did the software push my height up to 4100ft.

Ideally I'd like to configure the software, for my use, to set 1000ft MSA above MEF for a sector & 1000ft above the highest spot height, elevation or obstacle(+300ft allowance) within 5 miles either side of my routes track....

(Yes, I know its primarily a VFR tool, but with configurability like the above I can make use of it for low level IFR work as well)

Great, great work, keep it up, well impressed......Hats off to you. :ok::ok::ok:

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Sep 2009, 19:06
Ideally I'd like to configure the software, for my use, to set 1000ft MSA above MEF for a sector & 1000ft above the highest spot height, elevation or obstacle(+300ft allowance) within 5 miles either side of my routes track....
I also write on my plan the maximum height for each sector, allowing for controlled airspace.

Tim Dawson
10th Sep 2009, 15:39
Hi guys,

A new release of SkyAngel has just been posted. It contains many few features, usability improvements and fixes based on feedback from here and other places. In particular you'll notice there's an aircraft selector, in order to provide the new fuel calculation feature and the future weight&balance features. Although it will be possible to establish a database of more than one aircraft, in this release there is just one (whose variables can be modified).

Users who have used the previous releases should uninstall what they had before, from Control Panel, before installing this one. Note: if you've used the product before, the Fuel window will not appear automatically; you'll have to show it from the Window menu.

New Features
---

You can now plan and fly an alternate destination for a route
Fuel calculations are now performed automatically, including taxi/takeoff, cruise, diversion, holding and contingency
The route can now be dragged to manipulate it. This includes dragging turning points to move them to different waypoints, and dragging route segments to split them.
Preliminary exporting to GPX format added
It is now possible to toggle between flat terrain shading (like charts), relief shading (looks better) or none
Loading of user-supplied data is now supported
Preferences window now allows adjustment of all the safety margins used in calculations

Data Improvements
---

Farnborough LARS data fixed
Microlighting and hang-gliding data added
AIAA data added
Bird Sanctuary data added
Radio frequencies added to MATZ data
Addition of airfield-based radio navigation aids (50%)

Other
---
Route segment properties window improved
Edit route segment button added to route plan window
The map context menu now allows addition and removal of user waypoints
User waypoints are now persisted between application sessions
TAF parser now knows about parsing QNH in QNH3000INS format
Tooltips shown on the map now include waypoint information
Double-clicking in the enroute-features window centres the main map on that position
Editing the route TAS inline in the route plan window is now possible
Parsing errors fixed in locales that use , instead of . for decimal separator
There is no longer any need to use uppercase when searching for waypoints by identifier
"Weekend View" added to airspace clipping options (removes all airspace only active during the week)

Enjoy, and please keep the feedback coming!

CRX
10th Sep 2009, 21:50
Hello Again Tim,
I got the program working with the updated version, thanks, but I am getting another DLL message. This time when I click GPS.

'cant find PInvoke DLL 'gpsapi.dll'

Can you rectify please?

Thanks.

Paul.

Tim Dawson
10th Sep 2009, 22:17
What device are you trying to use this on? It sounds like you don't have the Microsoft GPS driver that is standard with Windows Mobile.

CRX
11th Sep 2009, 08:58
Tim,
It is a Windows CE 5.0 powered 'road gps', and I am successfully running several other GPS apps from it.
I have got it to boot into windows desktop, and it hooks up to my pc with no problem to activesync.
I can also regedit it with ease, but for some reason it get the PInvoke messages with Skyangel.
I feel that I am nearly there, but for this glitch..

Thanks,

Paul.

Justiciar
11th Sep 2009, 09:30
CRX:

What unit are you using?

Tone
11th Sep 2009, 09:42
Hi Tim
Wonderful software, planned & flew a route with it yestersday, no problems.
Just loaded the latest version and found that it will not let me complete the last leg of a closed route. May just be finger trouble but I can't make it work.
Tony

After more playing - it works if you pick a waypoint somewhere near where you want to end up and then drag it to the final destination.
Tony

MrAdorable
11th Sep 2009, 13:04
I have just downloaded this software and had a quick play around and it look's great. I have a few points to make on the inital test that i think will help improve it.

1) Ability to set fuel burn from litres to US gallons and Imperial gallons.

2) Include the fuel information in the plog i.e the totals needed for the flight.

3) A print option for a A5 layout of the PLOG even though you can through settings a quick selection button would be nice.

4) Ability to assign colours to different PLOG coloums for the fonts.

Andrew

P.S i still have not received a password for activation of notams and weather.

Max_UK
11th Sep 2009, 15:47
Tim, I can only try the PC Planning version as my PNAs run Win CE 5 & .net2
Hoping someone can find a simple way to run Skyangel InFlight on Navigos etc.

One point that has just arisen - Choosing Wekend option in Adjust View - Clipping, removes certain danger Areas (such as D026 & D032) from the map but not from the Enroute window.

Probably me being thick?

Regards & congratulations on a great piece of work,

Max.

yakker
11th Sep 2009, 17:03
Puzzled by the aircraft properties. If I change the details they are reflected in the plan. But as it has a drop down menu, this infers I can set up more than one aircraft details, how do I do this?

yakker
11th Sep 2009, 17:20
Hi Tim,

I have entered the strip I use and named it, good. However when I plan the route the heading uses the name I gave the strip, but on the route details, the from is the co-ordinates rather than the name given to the airstrip.

Secondly, can we have the total distances and times for the whole flight added to the plan.

Thirdly, can the fuel details be added to the flight plan as well.

Looking good so far.

Yakker

Eric T Cartman
11th Sep 2009, 20:11
Hi Tim
Great prog - thanks - but have to point out that the airspace depiction around Prestwick is wrong - UK AIP page AD 2-EGPK-4-1 is the official map for it. :ok:

Julian
11th Sep 2009, 21:50
Would like to see roadways on map.

MANAGP
12th Sep 2009, 07:23
Getting better by the day.

Doesn't seem to like RVRs in METARs

Tim Dawson
12th Sep 2009, 11:18
CRX, I'm going to spent some time next week investigating whether it was a bad idea for us to go with the Microsoft GPS driver on mobile devices. If not all of them have it, we'll have to change to another one. Thanks for bearing with me!

Tone, there's a bug in the most recent version that doesn't allow you to graphically plot closed routes. The best workaround is to hit F4 and enter your final waypoint manually.

MrAdorable, the forthcoming version allows changing of units including fuel units. I'm going to make the PLOG somewhat configurable at some point, including fuel data. There's now a Page Setup button on the PLOG viewer that makes A5 selection easy. As for colours, hopefully that will be part of the PLOG configurerer at some point.

Max_UK, none of the showing and hiding of airspace functionality affects what comes up in the enroute features window. This is currently by design, although I can see it makes less sense with the weekend view. Something to think about.

yakker, unfortunately a bug in the latest public release means that user waypoint coordinates are displayed in the PLOG instead of its name. This has been fixed ready for the next version. As for the PLOG configuring, see above. I did say in the release notes that the list of aircraft would only contain one aircraft in this version. It'll be expanded to allow creation of multiple aircraft in the next version.

Cartman: thanks. This was a parsing error to do with the direction of arcs.
Julian, I'd like to see that too. At some point we will invest in actual commercial map data and lakes, major roads, railways and rivers will appear.

One feature I hope everyone will be pleased to see in the next version that has already been completed is Weight and Balance.

Hyph
12th Sep 2009, 11:23
Tim,

Superb job on the software - really like it.

Rather than reinvent the wheel... global airfield and navaid data is available under GPL from the X-Plane (flight simulator) data site X-Plane airport & navigation data - Home page (http://data.x-plane.com/).

Obviously... it should be checked for accuracy before using for real flights, but it's a massive repository of data, mostly gleaned from official AIP sources.

While I'm here...

Happy to report that SkyAngel Plan works on Linux. Need to use VirtualBox rather than WINE, so Windows is still required.

Tim Dawson
12th Sep 2009, 11:58
Thanks Hyph! Unfortunately the GPL precludes such code/data from being used in commercial, closed-source applications like SkyAngel. There would be nothing to stop enthusiasts converting the relevant databases for use with their own copy of SkyAngel, though, since it now supports loading of user-supplied data.

Thanks for the tip about Linux, good to know.

Shunter
12th Sep 2009, 16:05
Unfortunately the GPL precludes such code/data from being used in commercial, closed-source applications like SkyAngelIt doesn't actually. Loads of people sell commercial products with GPL code in them. If you read the license in detail your only obligation would be to make any modifications you make to said GPL code available to anyone asking for them.

PS. Works fine on WINE, just needs a few deps sorting...

Tim Dawson
12th Sep 2009, 23:08
I don't know exactly how the GPL relates to data, but when it comes to code, if you link to any library that is licensed under the GPL, or compile in any code licensed under the GPL, you've got to also licence your own software under the GPL.

Shunter
13th Sep 2009, 10:37
Agreed. However as you rightly point out, this is data. You're not statically linking it as you would for example a library. In this particular instance I don't think the X-Plane people have given a great deal of thought to the suitability of the license to the type of material they wish to protect.

Combining propietary and GPL software has been done for many year by mobile phone and set top box manufacturers, it just requires a little thought during the implementation stage in order to ensure that whilst the 2 interact, they remain very much separate entities. A proprietary application and a GPL database would be one such example. Running CDDL licensed Solaris filesystem drivers in user space under a GPL Linux kernel would be another.

Anyway, I'm sure you've got other plans so it's most likely a moot point.

Tim Dawson
13th Sep 2009, 11:01
Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea; more data is good. Until such stage as SkyAngel "officially" supports a country, such data would be a huge benefit to those flying there and who want some support for it.

I need to get a community set up within the SkyAngel site of people who can code something up quickly to take this data and transform it into a format the software can load. It would be a great resource. I just don't want to include such data "in the box".

Shunter
15th Sep 2009, 06:27
"Novell has announced MonoTouch (http://monotouch.net/) 1.0, a commercial SDK that allows developers to build iPhone apps using Microsoft's .Net Framework (http://infoworld.com/d/developer-world/iphone-gets-net-app-development-194) instead of the Apple-designated C or Objective-C languages. The SDK leverages Novell's Mono runtime for running Windows apps on non-Windows systems, allowing developers to utilize code and libraries written for .Net and programming languages like C#. With MonoTouch, the Mono runtime provides such developer services as garbage collection, thread management, type safety, and Web services, said Mono leader Miguel de Icaza."There you go. Time to clean up in the world of iPhone :D

XX621
15th Sep 2009, 06:54
Did you write this using .NET WPF by any chance?!

Regardless, after a few mins of use I think it's fantastic.

My only tweak would be route creation more mouse/context menu driven; i.e right click insert waypoint into route.

The FliteStar style elevation view is superb.This will take the VFR flight planning software market by storm.

Bigglesthefrog
15th Sep 2009, 12:55
Tim
This is exciting stuff and I have never seen a thread where the content is soliciting such constantly positive remarks from members of the forum. I really like the way you are listening to ideas and appreciate that it must be hard work to keep up with it like this.
For me it is timely as I have just bought a 5" touch screen colour GPS unit from Ebay for Ģ46! for the purposes of testing out flight navigation software. I was interested in the Memory Map stand at the Sywell rally recently, but frankly couldn't get that many questions answered as there were other punters there all wanting information and only one salesman.
Without having seen your software running yet I can't comment much further, but when pilots realise that they don't have to pay silly money to get a fully functioning GPS flight planning and navigational unit and could possibly get a better unit for a fraction of the cost of those currently on the market, your project could be very successful when you go public.
When you eventually do, will you also be selling copies of "Sky Angel For Dummies"??

mstram
16th Sep 2009, 18:21
Tim,

A new release of SkyAngel has just been posted. It contains many few features, usability improvements and fixes based on feedback from here and other places.

Very nice job so far !

It would be helpful to reference the version # :)

I'm running the 0.9.2.27618 p.c. version.

1) If I zoom in to any area other than the UK/Ireland, the "yellow land outline", disappears turning into "blue water" (e.g. northern France, which should ?? be included in the W020N90.dem file)

2) A "zoom level" / indicator would be helpful, as well as a preference setting
for when the various map features (airports / navaids etc) are visible vs zoom / altitude. (Displaying "camera/user" altitude ala GoogleEarth would be nice, but a simple zoom level would be adequate)

3) Editing waypoints - possible now ? ..or have to delete / recreate?

4) Adding airspace via custom data ?

I added a couple of airfields / rwys for over here in Canada :), took me awhile to figure out the lat/lon format. You might update "your custom data" page to indicate the format as "Nddmmss.dd Wdddmmss.dd" ... instead of the "raw" numbers that are there now :)

Mike :ok:

Tim Dawson
16th Sep 2009, 18:40
XX621, there's no WPF in SkyAngel right now. Thanks for your kind words about it. Could you possibly elaborate on how you'd use the mouse more to create routes? At the moment it's all mouse driven, unless you want to use the keyboard in which case you have F4.

Biggles, I'll definitely get SkyAngel InFlight working on those kinds of devices at some point. I just need to write my own GPS driver first. By the time the software is eventually released there will be a comprehensive help file, don't worry! I just want to get it to a stable point (stable as in no more significant new features or development) before I write it.

mstram, in the current release land masses disappear when zoomed in if there is no detailed coastline data loaded. This has been fixed in tomorrow's release; the less detailed edge data will be used. The terrain elevation files are not used to draw country outlines. I like the idea of some kind of zoom indicator because some people have become confused when certain entities have disappeared and there's no apparent way to get them back. I have to think about the best way to do it, though.

Editing user waypoints is possible in tomorrow's release by double-clicking them. In the current release, you have to delete and recreate.

I actually have a SkyAngel datafile for Canada which includes coastline, towns and airfields. If you want it, contact me through the SkyAngel site and I'd love to hear your feedback on it.

New release coming tomorrow with all sorts of exciting new features, such as weight & balance, notam filtering, airfield information "charts" etc etc.

Blue Albatross
17th Sep 2009, 12:53
If you could expand the data to include Benelux then I would be more than happy to beta test it for you.

mstram
17th Sep 2009, 13:10
I actually have a SkyAngel datafile for Canada which includes coastline, towns and airfields. If you want it, contact me through the SkyAngel site and I'd love to hear your feedback on it.

Tim,

I sent you a p.m.

Mike

Tim Dawson
17th Sep 2009, 14:51
Hi Guys,

A new version of SkyAngel (0.9.3) has been posted (http://fly.styli.sh/download.aspx)on the site. This new version has lots of exciting new features and changes (detailed below). Get it while it's hot! Please note that any routes saved from a previous version probably won't load in this one due to changes in the file format.

The guys at flightnav.co.uk have produced their own dataset compatible with this release that adds loads of UK airfields beyond the ones that ship with the product. I expect they'll post on here presently telling you where to get that data.

New Features
---
Weight and Balance calculation added (automatically integrates with fuel planning)
An aircraft database is now maintained within the software for easy switching between aircraft
NOTAM filtering allows specifying of proximity to route and the dates and times you are interested in
Double-clicking an airfield now brings up a page full of information about it (including graphical depiction of runways and radio aids)
User waypoints are now editable
The units for displaying distances and speeds are configurable (nm, sm or km)
The units for displaying fuel volumes are configurable (ltr, us gal, imp gal)
There are now settings for the overall route TAS and Level on the toolbar

Data Improvements
---
Stansted TMZs added
Irish airspace data completely redone from AIP
All airfield-based radio navigation aids are now mapped
All communications frequencies associated with airfields are now known

Other Improvements/Fixes
---
Airfield-based radio navigation aids are now drawn offset from the airfield itself for clarity, like on CAA charts
The PLOG window now has a Page Setup button making it easy to specify page size and portrait/landscape preferences
Graphically plotting a route that finished where it started was not possible
Place names in Wales and Ireland are now displayed in English rather than their local variants
When dragging a route or turning point, if the mouse is released with no waypoint under the cursor and the control key is held down, a user waypoint is created
User waypoints were incorrectly labelled with their coordinates instead of their name, in the PLOG
Fuel calculations are now displayed on the PLOG
Microlighting sites are now waypoints, so you can fly by (or to) them
The allowed proximity of weather stations to the planned route can now be specified
Countries no longer disappear when zoomed in and there is no detailed data for them

I hope you all enjoy using it as much as I enjoyed creating it.

ahendry
17th Sep 2009, 16:31
Guys, as Tim said, this verison of SkyAngle has the ability to load all the data from Flightnav and view the latest airfield cards.

To get the data you need to follow the link below and register (as most of the people who read this forum have already register you will just need to login).

Login (http://www.flightnav.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70:flightnav-releases-data-for-skyangle&catid=34:website-news&Itemid=18)

Once logged in you will see all the data to download and a quick guide of how to install it.

Regards,
Alasdair

Tone
17th Sep 2009, 16:32
Hi Tim
Great stuff, it's a pleasure to use.
Niggles are getting very minor now. If you load a new aircraft its name stays as 'New Aircraft' in the drop down at the top of the screen. eg load a PA28 and it does not appear in the drop-down. Then load a C182 and behold the PA28 appears. Hope that makes sense.
May be worth adding "inches" to the CoG box just in case someone thinks litres and centimeters should go together.
Tony

Max_UK
18th Sep 2009, 07:00
It just gets better & better, great software & also very educational to a lapsed PPL renewing his interest.

I very much like the ability to click a notam & have it show up on the plan.
(Today, the Red Arrows route from Odiham to Brighton & back)

It is possible to export the waypoints in .gpx & import a route into Memory-Map (Using the CAA chart), but it will be even nicer when we can run SkyAngel InFlight on the Windows CE5 satnavs.

Thanks again Tim

Regards,

Max.

Tim Dawson
18th Sep 2009, 09:43
Is there some kind of bare-bones Windows CE5 satnav unit that you can buy without any software on? I'll be happy to buy one for the sole purpose of making sure SkyAngel InFlight runs on that kind of hardware.

Bigglesthefrog
18th Sep 2009, 10:08
Hi Tim

The changes in the software are definitely a great improvement and I have carried out a “practice” flight plan from my home base of Conington, to Waterford in Ireland, going via Gloucester and Haverford West directly in a Piper Arrow III. As I am working out of the country at the moment I won’t be able to test this out for real just at the moment.
I am running these tests on an LG laptop running Win XP Professional. If others are not experiencing what I am, then I would be grateful if they would let me know.

My observations on the present release are as follows:-

It would be good to see a standard Icon on the desktop after installation.

As far as I can see, there is only one entry for the wind, but if one wants to fly a route using different altitudes; for instance, if one wanted to plan extra altitude for water crossing, the winds aloft could be quite different from the 2000ft wind. Could the wind box be made into a drop down with spaces for other altitudes and then this is reflected in the route plan?

The weight balance box is excellent, but I found a few issues.
In Aircraft Manager/Weight balance there are the variables, fuel, pilot etc and a + and – box adjacent. I take it that this is for modifying the lever arms. When trying to increase the value I got an error message “Unhandled exception has occurred” etc and ending in (Object reference not set to an instance of an object). If I now press the Continue button the error message disappears, but if I hit the Quit button the entire SkyAngel program closes down.
Conversely, if I want to decrease the values by pressing the (-) button, the whole line, (name and lever arm) disappears.

May I suggest changing “Front Passenger” to “Copilot” as this makes a clear differentiation between front and back seats?

The Polygon is the wrong shape in the sidebar because the weight axis of its graph does not tally with the figures input to the Aircraft Properties weight/balance envelope. However, the resulting Weight/C.G is correctly indicated as a figure within the graph.

After opening a saved flight plan, the aircraft properties weight balance envelope parameters that have been personalised for a particular aircraft, return to the default value. This means that the envelope parameters have to be re-edited every time the flight plan is opened which for a particular aircraft is unnecessary.

Lastly, when double clicking on airfields to view information, I found that some runways are represented in a way that make easy viewing, but others are so big that scrolling is necessary to view them. Is it possible to standardise the sizes?

Notwithstanding any of the above, I think this package is absolutely excellent and I can’t wait to get home and try the “In Flight” part on my recently purchased Win CE loaded 5" Touch screen GPS that I bought on Ebay:ok:

Best of luck
BTF

Torque Tonight
18th Sep 2009, 10:36
Tim, great work so far. SkyAngel is taking shape really well and has potential to be a really useful bit of kit. A little feedback and a few suggestions which I hope are useful:

When setting up parameters for a specific aircraft you can enter fuel burns and weight and balance details. It would be handy to be able to set a default normal cruise speed and altitude in the aircraft file. I can't see a way of doing this at the moment. As someone else already mentioned, the name of the custom aircraft is not shown in the menu, just 'New Aircraft'.
You have many ground features on the map especially masts that cannot be selected as waypoints. I know you can right click to create a new waypoint on top of the ground feature but if the feature is worth showing on the map it is likely to be used as a turning point. It would therefore save a few nanoseconds if they were selectable as waypoints just as airfields, VRPs, navaids are.
When creating waypoints can we have the option of using British National Grid references as well as Lat-Long. I think there are free software components (dll's?) on the Ordnance Survey website for embedding in software like yours to convert coordinates.
Sometimes it would be handy to be able to select a leg to be flown at a height AGL rather than an altitude or Flight Level. Some of my legs take me from areas of high to low ground elevation and I may choose to fly at a constant height rather than altitude.
My password never arrived. I registered and was told that I would receve a email with a password but it never turned up (not in my spam/junk folder either). I tried to register again, and it said my email address was already registered (so it must be in the system), and that I should select the forgotten password reminder option if necessary - however I can't find this anywhere.
Total times and distances would be useful.
And finally an incredibly minor point: the filetype names are a bit clunky (.flightplan and .aircraft). Shouldn't they normally be three or four letters?Please take these points as constructive feedback and not criticism. I thinks this is awesome so far.

Tim Dawson
18th Sep 2009, 10:37
Thanks Biggles for the comprehensive feedback. The TAS, Level and Wind shown in the toolbar are global to the route being flown, but you can double-click on any route segment (either in the main map or in the route plan window) to bring up properties specific to that route segment. You can fly them all with different winds/speeds/levels or leave them as "global" which is convenient for shorter trips.

The + and - in weight and balance are for modifying an aeroplane by adding and removing loading points. Perhaps your plane has separate baggage stores, or fuel tanks with different lever arms. If you just want to modify a lever arm, select that row in the grid and then click on the lever arm text and it will become editable. I've been trying to reproduce the crash you mentioned in this editor but I haven't had any success (failure?) so could you please elaborate on how you managed this? If you want to change Front Passenger to Copilot you can just do it by editing the text. This is, after all, how you define your own aeroplane.

If the polygon is the wrong shape, you've entered the wrong weights and lever arms! Bear in mind that the weight axis on that graph is always shown in kg, whereas perhaps you've changed the general display of weight to lbs. Is that the confusion here?

You're right that saving a route plan should save any values entered in the weight & balance, and at the moment it does not.
Regarding the display of runways in the airfield information page, this is difficult. If you have a long north-south runway you're either going to have to scroll to see it all, or display it tiny. I am of course open to suggestions :)

Glad you're enjoying it.

Tim Dawson
18th Sep 2009, 10:47
Torque,

I had no idea that people wanted to navigate by fixed obstructions on the ground. If the prevailing opinion is that this is needed, I'll have to do some internal re-jigging of SkyAngel to make this possible. I'll await further feedback.

For the moment I can't support different coordinate systems. Maybe after the first release, if this turns out to be something many people want.

Ah, flying a leg at a height rather than an altitude. I was hoping nobody would be interested in doing this because how SkyAngel works internally is totally not geared towards this right now. I'm planning a complete vertical navigation implementaiton at some point in the future (departing from the simple set-altitude-per-route-segment I have now) and this will have to wait until then. Unfortunately.

Regarding your registration details, could you contact me via the contact link on the website at the bottom? I'll be able to forward your welcome email to you then. Oh, and file extensions haven't had to be 3 or 4 characters since 1995 ;) I for one embrace more descriptive extensions, especially as most people don't even see them.

Feels like I've been a bit negative in this reply; unfortunately you've hit almost all the things that SkyAngel just can't currently do.

Torque Tonight
18th Sep 2009, 10:59
Don't worry, thanks for taking the time to reply Tim. My programming skills couldn't even come close to what you have achieved. Regarding my suggestions such as OSGB coords and height AGL, if there are good technical reasons why they would be difficult then so be it - thanks for explaining the difficulties. None of my points are biggies (except the password issue which I'll email you about shortly).

As for the custom aircraft snags, hopefully that isn't to tricky to fix.

I had no idea that people wanted to navigate by fixed obstructions on the ground. If the prevailing opinion is that this is needed, I'll have to do some internal re-jigging of SkyAngel to make this possible. I'll await further feedback.

In the area where I did some of my early flying training two notable ground features were the Stokenchuch mast and Didcot power station. Being visble from a distance of about 50 miles on a good day, these made very popular waypoints on VFR navigation exercises. I think a lot of people would choose to use such features. At the moment I am just creating a waypoint on top of the feature, so it's no show stopper.

Keep up the good work!:ok:

liam548
18th Sep 2009, 13:14
gets beter and better, thank you.

With the flightnav software it says,

"
How to use

Once you have the data loaded you will be able to right click on any airfield and click "Show Details". This will open up a page showing basic information about the airfield in question. From here you will then be able to click "More Information" which will take you directly to the full airfield card on the website. How much easier can we make it !!!

As always Flightnav will continue to update all the information on the website from all users, so you may need to download a new version of the data from time to time to ensure you have the latest version.

"

however I cannot locate a "more information". Is this working for everyone else?

Tim Dawson
18th Sep 2009, 13:35
Note: that link will only be there for FlightNav-imported airfields.

liam548
18th Sep 2009, 13:38
Ok. ive worked it out now dont think it had loaded the files correctly.

Do you think there is any way of you possibly making the software to get the live winds or forecast winds for your chosen level for the route? That would be an excellent addition.

:)

Tim Dawson
18th Sep 2009, 13:54
No problem. All you have to do is tell me where to get such data, dynamically :)

mstram
18th Sep 2009, 15:30
A minor but nice addition would be when creating a user waypoint, that the lat/lon entry box be split into seperate fields for the N-dd-mm-ss portions.

A SHift or CTR-click or Alt-click might be better for displaying airport/waypoint info, as now double clicking adds the waypoint to the route instead of just displaying the info

An Alt/CTR/SH-click would be nice for removing a waypoint from the route

The "double click" / airport info display of the rwys graphics is too big / "zoomed in"

Mike

Torque Tonight
18th Sep 2009, 15:39
Thanks for the login details Tim. Met and NOTAM system is great.

Here's one for you:

When you have selected weight units to pounds, the vertical scale of the weight and balance graph still seems to be in kg. Thus a weight of 1058lb shown by the cross on the graph is between the 450 and 500 marks on the vertical scale.

And... having closed SkyAngel, when I reopened it and selected my aeroplane, the weight and balance envelope that I had previously entered had been lost, reverting to that of the default aircraft and the chart turning pink.

FltSftygrad
18th Sep 2009, 19:43
Does this work for the USA>....trying and no luck...help?

mstram
19th Sep 2009, 17:06
Does this work for the USA>....trying and no luck...help?

Yes, you have to download the USA data from the "countries" tab on the website.

Mike

Bigglesthefrog
19th Sep 2009, 19:31
Tim
I said the following in my last post..
In Aircraft Manager/Weight balance there are the variables, fuel, pilot etc and a + and – box adjacent. I take it that this is for modifying the lever arms. When trying to increase the value I got an error message “Unhandled exception has occurred” etc and ending in (Object reference not set to an instance of an object). If I now press the Continue button the error message disappears, but if I hit the Quit button the entire SkyAngel program closes down.
Conversely, if I want to decrease the values by pressing the (-) button, the whole line, (name and lever arm) disappears.
This is a problem caused by my laptop not your software so I'm sorry about that. I've loaded it onto my PC now and everything is OK.

I think that the weight balance should be in LBS and Inches. I've always calculated in these and I've always thought it was the most common way of doing it.

Andy H
20th Sep 2009, 20:12
Can't accept that. My POH is is Kg and cm. Think many more are too. Imperial is old hat, ancient. No one under 40 understands it.

Dusty_B
21st Sep 2009, 07:17
... I might be under forty, but the aircraft isn't!!

Tim Dawson
21st Sep 2009, 10:33
Thanks all. There are of course some bugs in the current release which have been fixed ready for this week's release. These include some aircraft parameters (cog envelope, max fuel) not being saved. Another bug is that the scale in the weight/balance window is always in kgs even when lbs have been selected as the general unit. This has now been fixed.

mstram, to remove a waypoint from the route, click to select it then press delete. Ctrl-clicking already does something (creates user waypoints during route planning). The airfield "plates" will continue to evolve. If you can identify a specific airfield for which the "plate" looks rubbish, do let me know.

As far as lever arm is concerned: the units for this are unlabeled because it doesn't matter whether you use inches or cm. As long as you're consistent between the aircraft CoG and the loading points, and also the envelope, you can use any unit you like.

Bigglesthefrog
21st Sep 2009, 16:45
Imperial is old hat, ancient. No one under 40 understands it.
Fair enough Andy and you've clearly sussed me out.... I'm well over 40:(

Tim, I think your corrections will have met all my points that I raised a few days ago and I'm looking forward to the next release.

Just a quick question: Is the "In Flight" version up and running for a touch screen GPS unit running Win CE?

Tim Dawson
21st Sep 2009, 16:55
WinCE is a gray area right now. SkyAngel InFlight was developed for the Windows Mobile platform and uses a couple of components from that platform. If it's possible to get running on generic WinCE devices, I will do it. There's a WinCE device on its way to me right now, and when it arrives, effort will be spent on ensuring SkyAngel runs on such platforms.

CRX
22nd Sep 2009, 13:14
Tim,
WINCE will be with you tomorrow!

CRX.

jxk
22nd Sep 2009, 17:10
Tim
I've been experimenting with your software and I cannot always create a route by clicking on the waypoints/airfields; it seems random when the click takes. I've tried the edit delete function and file option 'new'; does this make any difference? Is it something I'm doing wrong? Can I for instance create my own waypoint (private airfield) and select a route from it? Can I click from one w/p to another (sequentially) or do you have to put the start point and destination and then 'rubber band' the actual route required?
Sorry lots of questions.......

Robin Driver
24th Sep 2009, 08:18
Tim.

Just done a route Caernarfon, Hawarden, Shobden, Caernarfon to fly today 24/09 but the notam field didnt pick up the two for Shobden.

Tried changing the filter settings but no difference.

All other notams tie up.

Hugh

Tim Dawson
24th Sep 2009, 15:51
There's a new version of SkyAngel just been released with lots of exciting new features. Here's the breakdown:

SkyAngel InFlight
---
You can now control which instruments are displayed (making it possible to fill the whole screen with the map, 93%)
"Heading up" mode supported when the chart is following the current position
Native GPS driver included for WinCE and other platforms lacking the Microsoft GPS driver
Mapping options, rendering options and screen orientation options are now exposed
Dragging the map around is now much faster
If the battery dies halfway through a flight, the log so far should still be available
The solid yellow circle representing current position has been replaced with an outlined diamond
Zooming increments have been improved

SkyAngel Plan
---
Weight and balance variables are now saved alongside a route
Some aircraft properties (landing fuel, max fuel, cog envelope) were not persisted between application sessions
It was not possible to access the context menu for an airfield when a route was plotted via it because the turning point indicator hid the waypoint itself
Runway visual range is now parsed in METAR data
The Weather phenomena column was not visible in the METAR/TAF windows
Dragging a route segment in enroute features to change its altitude now has increments of 100ft
NSC, SKC and CAVOK are interpreted and displayed on TAF reports
The CoG envelope graph was always shown with weight in kg regardless of the units selected

It would be great if people could try the new native GPS driver in the InFlight software, particularly people running WinCE devices, although the driver should work with any GPS that can be accessed via COM port. Go to Tools -> Options -> GPS to change which driver is used.

Please let me know what you think of the new charting in InFlight: it's been brought up to almost the quality of the desktop software mapping (assuming compatible device).

jxk, I'm not sure what to tell you. All you have to do is click on sequential waypoints to create a route. A waypoint is a town, airfield, radio air or reporting point. you should see these things light up as the mouse cursor goes over them.
Robin Driver, SkyAngel doesn't have aerodrome NOTAMs, only enroute NOTAMs (for the moment).

yakker
24th Sep 2009, 16:25
Hi Tim,
Downloaded the latest version, tried to plan a route and got the following error when planning Sywell to Sibson. But other routes seem okay.

System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: pen
at System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawRectangle(Pen pen, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 width, Int32 height)
at System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawRectangle(Pen pen, Rectangle rect)
at Divelements.Aviation.FlightPlanner.Rendering.AirspaceRenderi ng.FillOrthographicAirspaceView(AirspaceEntity airspace, Graphics graphics, RectangleF bounds, Boolean isCircle)
at Divelements.Aviation.FlightPlanner.Routing.OrthographicRoute .OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEve ntArgs e, Int16 layer, Boolean disposeEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(M essage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Mes sage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

mscorlib
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
SkyAngel
Assembly Version: 0.9.4.26650
Win32 Version: 0.9.4.26650
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyAngel%20Plan/SkyAngel.exe
Divelements.SandGrid
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyAngel%20Plan/Divelements.SandGrid.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
SandDock
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyAngel%20Plan/SandDock.DLL
Divelements.Aviation
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyAngel%20Plan/Divelements.Aviation.DLL
Divelements.Aviation.Routing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyAngel%20Plan/Divelements.Aviation.Routing.DLL
Divelements.Aviation.EntityData
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyAngel%20Plan/Divelements.Aviation.EntityData.DLL
SandBar
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyAngel%20Plan/SandBar.DLL
System.Web.Services
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Web.Services/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.Services.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Tim Dawson
24th Sep 2009, 16:57
Thanks Yakker. Turned out this was a nasty bug that would affect some routes but not others. Since only a handful of people downloaded it before this was discovered, I've simply replaced the 0.9.4 build on the website. So, you can uninstall, download again, install, and all should work now.

yakker
24th Sep 2009, 17:17
Cheers Tim thats fixed it.:)

jxk
24th Sep 2009, 21:58
Tim from jxk:
It seems that I needed to zoom in more before clicking on my route - apologies.

lordhedges
25th Sep 2009, 14:51
just a random question but where is the map vector data from on your flight planner? I'm making an photography application and could use something similar.

Max_UK
25th Sep 2009, 15:21
Tim, I'm experiencing total failure with InFlight on a Win CE 5 satnav.
Won't even load from the .cab file - Error "...SkyAngelInFlight.0.9.4.cab" is not a valid Windows CE Setup file.

Can only load it on the PC using Windows Mobile 6.1 emulator. (& then copy to satnav in SkyAngel InFlight folder). Which shows:

Data
Microsoft.Gps.dll
SkyAngel.exe

Am I "jumping the gun" on this or should v 0.9.4.cab at least load up?

Regards,

Max.

Andy H
25th Sep 2009, 16:28
Tim, this is fabulous software - does so much that I (we?) have always wanted.

When I print out the airfield plates I have them in colour. The Flight Plan is colour on screen and monochrome when printed. Am I doing something wrong?

Presumably the airfield plates only show licensed runways because that's how you get the data?

As a VFR aid, would it be possible for the map to show railway lines and motorways? I always fly IFR (I Fly Roads)

Andy

CRX
25th Sep 2009, 17:00
Max Uk,
I used WIN CE cab manager to unpack the CAB file then drop the unpacked folder onto an SD card. I had the same issue. Works a treat when on the unit.

Lordhedges,
I understand you are also the producer of a currently heavily promoted, and commercial, piece of VFR nav software/hardware, is the photography project related to this......?

CRX

Torque Tonight
25th Sep 2009, 17:13
Previous versions were working beautifully but Plan 0.9.4 doesn't work on my Vista laptop. When I click 'yes' to the disclaimer on startup the program crashes almost immediately (to be precise, after drawing the coastline of the UK but before drawing any features or terrain shading). I get the Windows message 'SkyAngel Plan has stopped working' but no further details. Back to the previous version for me. :-(

Tim Dawson
25th Sep 2009, 17:14
Max, unfortunately WinCE 5.0 doesn't understand compressed CAB files so for the moment you'll need to unpack elsewhere and copy the files on to the device manually. Should work a treat then.

I can confirm now that SkyAngel InFlight will work on most WinCE 5.0 (and even 4.2) devices with standard GPS equipment. The requirement for the .net compact framework 3.5 has been removed ready for next week's release. I'm looking at getting SkyAngel packaged up and sold on these kinds of boxes since our charts are much better presented than most of the competition.

Lordhedges, our vector data comes from various locations. Does Airbox do photography now too!? :E

Tim Dawson
25th Sep 2009, 17:20
Torque, you've probably got old France or USA data installed. Download new data that's compatible with the latest version and all will be well.

lordhedges
25th Sep 2009, 17:44
ok you got me! :D

But I am still on the look out for some good vector data and the photography element is not far off some of the things we're working on...

Good work by the way!

FYI On the Flyer Forums I'm pretty open about who I am however the mods here won't let me say who I am affiliated to hence my thinly veiled disguise :ugh:

Torque Tonight
25th Sep 2009, 17:47
Problem solved. Thanks Tim.:ok:

Saab Dastard
25th Sep 2009, 18:20
lordhedges

On the Flyer Forums I'm pretty open about who I am however the mods here won't let me say who I am affiliated to hence my thinly veiled disguise

Not quite - we won't allow you to promote your business here, unless of course you wish to take out paid advertising.

SD

CRX
25th Sep 2009, 18:37
Veil not always so thin perhaps.....?

Previous post by the Lord:

I've seen the Airbox system first hand and it is certainly nothing like Memory Map. Sure it can display CAA charts however you can tell the programmers have kept pilots in mind when designing the menus and data input screens which easily allow for use in a cramped cockpit environment.

The version of software I saw had a full European airspace database on it with visual airspace warnings, terrain ahead, extended runway centre lines and whole bunch of features not available on MM.

I've also been informed that they will have full European charting for the June launch with weather and NOTAM features added later.

:=

lordhedges
25th Sep 2009, 20:04
Agreed but I'd like to be honest from the start - that email was my third attempt at posting...

This from the moderators at the time after I questioned my posts being deleted:

You may not publish contents of PMs in the forums PF Mods

To be honest if I really wanted to go "undercover" I wouldn't use my surname as part of my login!

CRX
25th Sep 2009, 20:28
Fair enough Tom,
I like your products, and have indeed given you several hundred pounds with your previous venture. I think GA will benefit from a little bit of healthy competition to raise the game of VFR software. The hardware is out there, and skilful, knowledgeable programming can give us all great results.
I appreciate you need to make a living, but I thought your posts all seemed to be trying to sound like a Flymap and Airbox fan , and that you were fooling the audience. Your post explains why...
I like the way this development is going as we are all able to roadtest (airtest) the program as it evolves and ask for it to be tweaked to our liking. We have conversed in the past about the many many frustrations I found with Flymap, I trust some of them have been sorted with Airbox, but can't afford to do another Ģ700 experiment to find out.
Tim's work should be rewarded off course, but to play a part in the development means I know what I will be getting and that It will fit my needs.

CRX.

Bigglesthefrog
26th Sep 2009, 11:42
I agree with CRX and I have no problem with the Lord Hedges either. From what I've seen he has produced a really good product that has been well received. But Tim Dawson has built up a good product too and more to the point a good and potentially loyal following on here. Look at the numbers and the enthusiasm of the posts!
Over the past couple of years I have felt that some of the GPS flight gizmos are very over priced and I suspect we have been subject to the old "double the money if it involves aviation" tag. Well if anyone has a look at what is being sold on Ebay under GPS equipment, they will see that the hardware is plentiful and very affordable indeed and all this needs is a good software package.
Tim's hard work and dedication, not to mention his willingness to try his hardest to include all the suggestions from fellow aviators is testament to the success that this product already has even though it is still in the test stages. However, I'm sure that like me, many of the other participants here have their cheque books ready for the time when Tim feels that it is ready for general release.:ok:

WorkingHard
27th Sep 2009, 19:46
Tim, how does one add airfields and frequencies etc to the route plan before printing please?

CRX
28th Sep 2009, 08:11
Gents,
I have been doing a little beta testing for Tim and I am pleased to say that this is fast becoming a seriously good bit of kit. He has listened to ideas and preferences and incorporated most. Please continue to download and feedback your wants and needs, as I have been doing and we will get a product that entirely suits us all. I airtested the unit yesterday up to 400 kts (groundspeed) and it coped admirably!
This weeks release will impress you I think, particularly those using 'regular' generic WIN CE sat navs...
Well done Tim.

CRX.

malcolmf
30th Sep 2009, 11:22
Tim
Very nice interface. I've used Pocket FMS and this looks so much better. I particularly like the way the clouds are shown on the profile.
Some small suggestions
1) For Weight and balance after restarting it reverts to the default a/c rather than your own
2) One French TAF came up with a vv/ code which the software didn't like.
3) When dragging the profile view horizontally it would be nice if the plan view followed it, so you could see if the obstacles etc are actually on the track.
As long as it remains free!! Open Street map data may be useful for roads etc.

x933
30th Sep 2009, 11:49
A cracking piece of software. Only thing I can see - and it's really minor - is that double clicking on a saved flight plan file in a directory doesn't do anything - I've tried associating the file manually but it only opened Sky Angel.

A.Agincourt
30th Sep 2009, 13:22
Just started playing with it now, so far - I am very pleased. My needs are few and this easy to use and intuitive offering fits the bill precisely. Thank you.

Best Wishes

mstram
30th Sep 2009, 15:09
Tim,

There is a bug in the "zooming", when the program window is not full sized, ie. double clicking on the window border.

Zooming in / out displays only water.

ver 0.9.4.30095

Mike

yakker
30th Sep 2009, 18:32
Should there not be a VRP at the junction of M6/M58?

Tim Dawson
1st Oct 2009, 12:42
WorkingHard, airfields and frequencies should be automatically added to the PLOG if SkyAngel picks them up along your route. If you've got a route on which you think frequencies should be being picked up and aren't, please let me know it.

malcolmf, thanks for the feedback. I think number 1 may be fixed in today's release, it certainly saves the weight&balance along with a route you've saved.

x933, good point. This has slipped through so far.
mstram, that's a great bug report but I've so far been unable to reproduce it. What exactly do you have to zoom to and where exactly do you have to click?

yakker, with what airfield is the VRP associated? I'll check the AIP.

Tim Dawson
1st Oct 2009, 12:45
Released today is another exciting new version of SkyAngel, build 0.9.5. Most of the work this week has been on InFlight but there are bug fixes in Plan, and also functionality associated with automatically connecting to InFlight devices. I'll detail the new stuff below:

InFlight
--------
The route editor has been rewritten in a graphical way to be more intuitive
A context menu is now available on the main map to allow easy creation of routes
Runway centreline and glideslope plotting on both maps
Saving of routes is now supported
The menu can now be hidden, making more room for the instruments
Heading indicator improved with actual heading and bug direction displayed
An option has been added to automatically change waypoints as they are passed
Improved map rendering while dragging the map
Distance and speed units can now be configured
Battery status is now displayed alongside GPS status in the main map
The GPS functionality could fail to open ports that were actually valid, stating they were not
Baud rate can now be set in GPS options
The onscreen keyboard can now be toggled from the Tools menus, for WinCE-based devices

Plan
----
New Import VFR Route functionality allows entering of a route in flightplan shorthand
Routes can be exported directly to a SkyAngel InFlight device connected via ActiveSync
Flight logs can be imported directly from a SkyAngel InFlight device connected via ActiveSync

srayne
1st Oct 2009, 15:50
There is a bug in the "zooming", when the program window is not full sized, ie. double clicking on the window border.

Tim - I can reliably replicate this in V0.9.5.22182.

1) Set the enroute features tab to auto-hide

2) Click on the main map to hide the enroute features window then on the enroute features tab to re-display the window.

3) Click back in the main map and use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom (only one zoom level) before the enroute window has had a chance to auto-hide (you have to be quick)

Hope this helps to track it down.

Tim Dawson
1st Oct 2009, 16:08
Got it, thanks. Elusive one that!

yakker
1st Oct 2009, 17:36
Tim,

The VRP at the junction of the M6/M58 just North of the Manchester low level route.

Would it be possible to also add some typed notes to the flight plan before printing it out?

Also if flying to an airfield, such as Woodvale, could the plan show the tower frequency as well as the approach frequency.

Cheers
Yakker

junction34
1st Oct 2009, 21:24
Hi Tim,

Firstly, excellent work!

I've just installed 0.9.5 inflight on a widescreen Navigo unit and it seems to work fine, with the exception of the GPS altitude. It's 100 - 200 ft out compared both a Garmin Etrex and PocketFMS on the same Navigo.

I think this relates to the ellipsoid separation on the SIRF III chipset. My understanding is SIRF III subtracts the separation in the output altitude so doing another subtract using the separation from the GPGGA sentence causes height errors.

A few suggestions:

"ETE NXT", would be nice if this box could be clicked to toggle to ETA Next as in my position reports I estimate my next position time as minutes-past-the-hour. I don't know if this is normal but it's certainly the way I was taught. A third option of Destination ETA could be incorporated too and clicking the box would cycle through.

I've not tried the software in flight yet, but there doesn't seem to be an option to allow it to return to following position after maybe 20 seconds after manual panning. This option would be useful for devices with no hard buttons as it's likely the map will be inadvertently panned when flying.

Turning instruments on and off. It would be good to be able to do this without using the menu. Clicking on the instruments / approaching features could hide them and have a click area at each side / bottom of the screen to re-display the individual instruments.

Likewise it would be good to have button areas on the map to zoom in and out.

Approaching features. Is it possible to have this in a standby mode where it's hidden unless terrain/airspace/obstacles need to be warned about?

Location. It would be good to have the ability to display a position report based on 8-point direction and distance from airfields, navaids, big town etc. i.e. "4.5NM SW of Shobdon". I believe the Skyforce locator did this?

What you've got so far is excellent though. Compared to PocketFMS the performance on the device is absolutely outstanding.

-j34-

Max_UK
2nd Oct 2009, 07:15
Another excellent update, Tim, thank you.

I echo junction34's comments about the altitude readout on the Navigo.
Mine is also almost exactly 150 ft out (the whole time I'm in the SE region certainly) & I've looked in vain for a means of correction via other software.
An offset adjustment would be most welcome if possible.

The other point is the default directory for flight plans being: \My Documents\SkyAngel Routes.
On the Navigo (& some other WinCE devices) all Windows info apart from the registry, is wiped every time the device turns off. This means that any saved routes are lost on Turn Off. (Its also difficult to import "Planner" routes)

Is it possible to have the default "Routes" directory on the SD card?

Again, Thank You for your hard work & great software,

Regards,

Max.

Tim Dawson
2nd Oct 2009, 09:44
yakker, SkyAngel shows all frequencies it knows about for an airfield that's the destination in your planned route. Woodvale being military, the only frequency listed in the AIP is APP and we therefore don't have TWR data at the moment. I don't think the military AIP is published online unfortunately. [Edit: I've just found it. Shame on me.]

The problem of ellipsoid elevation versus mean sea level elevation is an interesting one. A few devices are "naughty" and report ellipsoid altitude rather than mean sea level altitude, and Navigo devices seem to be among these. This is obviously a problem when pilots are using car satnav units, whose manufacturers do not care about altitude, for aerial navigation. My advice would be not to purchase a unit that doesn't do the required conversion to amsl. I guess some products like the ones you mentioned are doing their own correction, but unfortunately I don't have the resources to build geoid correction into SkyAngel right now, so the best I can do is to detect the condition (this is easy) and allow manual calibrarion by entering the known altitude. This will work fine for trips that are not too long. In fact I can detect the fact that you're at an airport, and pre-populate the calibrarion box with the known elevation of the airfield. If you'd like to test this functionality in a preview build, contact me.

ETE should read ETA, I'll get that corrected. It is actually showing the zulu time of arrival. I do plan to have a "return to follow" feature for the mapping. I like your other ideas, too, but unfortunately at this stage I've got to stop adding new features to it and just get it polished so that it can actually be released this year. After release I'll then be able to start planning for the next version.

junction34
2nd Oct 2009, 11:28
Thanks Tim,

I'd be happy to test any changes made to the altitude calibration.

I understand the requirement to concentrate on getting the product ready for an initial version 1 release, but I think the facility to automatically return to following the position a set time after manual panning is almost essential for airborne use.

Given the small screen area on these devices, it's often necessary to have the screen zoomed in quite far. Panning can be used to have a brief "look ahead", but going through the menu to resume following is far from ideal.

-j34-

Tim Dawson
2nd Oct 2009, 11:50
If you could contact me through the SkyAngel site I'll be happy to get a preview build to you.

Note that the feature whereby a panned map returns to follow mode is already committed to the to-do list; there's no way v1 will ship without it. I'm just not accepting significant new features for the to-do list any more ;)

There'll be a community forum set up on the SkyAngel site at some point where detailed discussion can happen about proposed features for each version.

24seven
2nd Oct 2009, 15:52
on a slightly different note... can someone suggest a good GPS unit which I can purchase so to enjoy using SkyAngel in the cockpit as well as at home on my laptop?

Keep up the good work Tim!!

mstram
2nd Oct 2009, 16:14

Tim - I can reliably replicate this in V0.9.5.22182.

1) Set the enroute features tab to auto-hide

2) Click on the main map to hide the enroute features window then on the enroute features tab to re-display the window.

3) Click back in the main map and use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom (only one zoom level) before the enroute window has had a chance to auto-hide (you have to be quick)

I don't have to do any of that, I just open the program in it's default mode, then double click the window border to "unmaximize it".

I also have the 3d terrain shading turned off, that might be a factor.

**EDIT* I just downloaded the latest??? U.S. skydata and the problem seems to have gone away.

Speaking of the 3d, the two buttons leftmost buttons, (tooltips "Flat terrain shading", "3d terrain shading"), are confusing. Are those buttons supposed to be toggles, i.e. where one mode is active at a time? .. Or can they both be on/off at the same time? It's not obvious from their displayed state which mode is active. I've been running with them both off, as my p.c. is too slow.

Mike

Tim Dawson
2nd Oct 2009, 16:14
Calling anybody who wants to use SkyAngel Plan with their existing Garmin GPS device!

I'm prototyping a version which can export routes directly to your Garmin aviation GPS unit connected via USB. If anybody here has such a device and is interested, please get in touch with me (through the SkyAngel site) and I'll send you a test version so you can let me know how it works for you.

Thanks!

Tim Dawson
2nd Oct 2009, 16:16
Mike, I think I've fixed the drawing bug you mentioned and if you like I can send you a test build so you can verify this; I'd appreciate it. Email me if so.

Of those two buttons, either can be turned on or neither. Not both though.

mstram
2nd Oct 2009, 16:26
Mike, I think I've fixed the drawing bug you mentioned and if you like I can send you a test build so you can verify this;

After downloading the (updated ??) U.S. skydata, the problem seems to have gone away. Has the .skydata changed for the U.S. .. all the countries? I read in an earlier post where you mentioned updated .skydata files.

If the data files are changing, it would be nice if the install program could detect out of date data files (I know it's still beta :) ), and notify the user / offer to download etc.

It seems that the Canada data you sent me no longer works, all airfields have disappeared :confused:

Mike

Bigglesthefrog
2nd Oct 2009, 16:31
Tim
I've noticed that Flag+Z spins the whole map 10 degrees clockwise and Flag+A spins it 10 degrees Anti clockwise. Is this a feature or just a Windows thing?

Tim Dawson
2nd Oct 2009, 16:48
Mike, the data format should settle down from now onwards. Once of its enhancements is knowing about its own "version".

Biggles, you've discovered a secret "feature" that I've been using to test the map rotation code. Shh!

malcolmf
2nd Oct 2009, 19:04
The new Archos 9 (9 inch tablet with Windows 7, bluetooth, wiFi, touchscreen) may be the way to go but it's not released yet and will be priced at c€450. Looks very nice and highly usable outside the cockpit as a netbook.
Archos 9 profile by Obsessable (http://www.obsessable.com/laptop/archos-9/)

x933
2nd Oct 2009, 19:14
After a lot of faffing and half a day in the office spent surrupticiously meddling with it I got Inflight working on my Ipaq 5550 and BT-308 GPS. Is there a minimum signal strength? I had problems getting a consistant connection - the GPS was quite hapilly paired, and I could see it was connected in GPSUtility and getting data and position info but it took *ages* for Inflight to recognise the fact that there was a GPS connected and occasionally dropped out for no real reason...Is there a minimum required satellite strength to get it to work properly? The ariel was up against a window facing a wide open space and was only a meter or so away from the PDA...

Bigglesthefrog
2nd Oct 2009, 20:51
Biggles, you've discovered a secret "feature" that I've been using to test the map rotation code. Shh!

OK Tim... Mums the word:ok:

MFC_Fly
3rd Oct 2009, 14:07
Excellent software Tim, well done :ok:

A couple of requests/observations/bugs for you for the Plan software...

1. Would it be possible for the user to set a symbol for user waypoints? That way we could have different symbols for different types of waypoint (e.g. we could add missing VRP's with the correct symbol, etc).

2. An extra button to enable user waypoints to be displayed, or not, on the map. Every other feature has this facility, but waypoints doesn't.

3. (Not yet seen with v0.9.5.22182) Some auto-generated METAR's are causing parsing errors in the cloud field. If the cloud is reported in the format "SCT035/" it causes an error to be displayed.

4. If the display of NOTAM's is turned off in the map they are still displayed in the enroute features window.

As I said above, an excellent piece of software that I am gladly letting other pilots know about. Have not had a chance to try out the latest InFlight in-flight yet but will hopefully do so tomorrow.

All the best,

MFC

<edited for spolling mistokes>

ft
3rd Oct 2009, 18:39
Awesome piece of software, no doubt about it.

The first thing I'd like to add to the wishlist was to enable for adding external NOTAMs, either through adding one or several URLs to online NOTAMs or through cut-and-pasting them into the program manually, and parsing said notams for mainly coordinates for obstacles, temporary R/D areas and U/S obstacle lights. I live in an area which is rapidly turning into a wind farm, so the list is usually loooooong.

Creating an external parser is of course an option, and something I'm thinking about doing anyway to enable updates of Swedish airspace etc with every new AIRAC cycle, but I'd rather have it integral to the software.

Cheers,
/Fred

Tim Dawson
4th Oct 2009, 13:05
Thanks for the feedback.
MFC
1. Good idea, it'll go on the list for post-v1 builds
2. I hadn't thought people would want to hide their own waypoints. If the concensus is that people DO want to do this, I'll add the option
3. This was fixed before 0.9.5
4. By design

ft, it did actually support this at one point but I got rid of it because there was no way of getting rid of notams that one had entered already, so one could end up with duplicates. If this turns out to be something that lots of people want, I'll re-instate it because all the code is still there. You'd need to paste notams with their Q line intact, obviously. Also B and C lines I think.

Ultranomad
4th Oct 2009, 13:22
Tim, while compiling CSV files for aerodromes and runways, I had a feeling a few more items could be useful:
- flags for takeoff-only and landing-only runways
- flags for VFR/IFR, day/night aerodromes (and/or for the type of runway lighting)
- maybe a separate remark field for all kinds of useful info

ft
4th Oct 2009, 19:10
Tim,
regarding the NOTAMs I think there will be a need, unless the software can be made to automatically download NOTAMs for every part of the world (as I think it does for the UK at the moment?).

We currently have eight pages (http://www.lfv.se/upload/ANS/AIP/Valid%20Notams/notam_summary_2_sep_2009.pdf) of QOBCEs (obstacles) in the NOTAMS. With a few OBST LIGHTS U/S it makes for interesting night flying. I don't know if we're ahead of the times regarding the wind power plants, but I'm sure that's the way it will be all over the place eventually.

Add a few temporary restricted areas for military exercises now and then and you're really certain to eventually miss something.

How about letting the user choose to either add to existing manually entered NOTAMs, or to just wipe all NOTAMS (or just manually added NOTAMs) when entering new ones?

SG38
5th Oct 2009, 13:41
Hi all, at first I had to say "Great Work". I like the Design and the airspace view additionally to the 2D view of Course. The PC Version works really nice on vista and I was possible to create my own Airspace, Airport and runway Data for all of Germany.

:ugh:On my PNA Device with windows ce 5.o the Programm works too. But itīs not possible for me to make it show other terrain,airspace or what ever.
It only shows me UK an Irland wich came with the install .cab to the Device.

I canīt find any help or example for doing that.

So I canīt test in Flight.

I hope you can help me. If it is possible.

Thank you :D
Best
SG38

Tim Dawson
5th Oct 2009, 14:16
For the moment InFlight doesn't support importing of user data. If you want to take responsibility for German airspace data in SkyAngel that's great; contact me through the website and we can discuss it. I can produce a .skydata file out of the data you collect and that can be used with InFlight.

This is what I'm already doing with Swedish data, which is being assembled by another individual.

Human Factor
5th Oct 2009, 14:41
Probably finger trouble on my part but I've just downloaded v0.9.5 and the routes I saved in v0.9.1 will not display. They give every indication of loading but nothing seen!

Otherwise, superb program. Would even consider paying real money!!!

x933
5th Oct 2009, 19:50
With a bit of tweaking and some third party software it's possible to get your Nokia N95 (With integral GPS) to act as the GPS aerial - annoying as i've just bought a bluetooth GPS.

Having had a bit more of a play with the fly version, I really like the centreline option but found the implementation a bit clumsy - how about an option when you tap on the airport in question and in the sub menu (Which - for sake of example at Oxford - shows "OXFORD DME / OXFORD KIDLINGTON AIRFIELD / OXFORD NDM") add the option to go to the centreline screen with the airport already selected?

Oh, and for some reason the Centreline screen doesn't appear to know what the runways are for most military airfields and some unlicesensed airports (Lasham, North Weald all missing? If it's the source data that needs updating then quite happy to assist as it's an awesome piece of kit, otherwise.

SG38
5th Oct 2009, 20:19
Hi you,

I startet creating my personal Database for Germany.
Airspace no problem. It works out of the box from the soaring server.
Instructions on your site.

Now I created Asphalt and Grass airfields and runways. It looks very nice to see the colour of the runway and the direction of the runway and the lenght on the runway.
It is very cool that different lenght also shown different in the map.

Stand now is: creating obstructions. There I hang till now.

:rolleyes: BUT :rolleyes:

My biggest problem is the GPS connection on my PNA ipaq 314 travel companion
with windows ce 5.0.
port and baudrate ok. But no connection.

I hope the problem can be solved.
I donīt hope to create my Database only for my PC.
Thatīs nice but not realy comfortable in flight.

Can you help?

by
SG38

SG38
6th Oct 2009, 09:15
Hi,

Only the Wind Turbine is very nice. And that the Symbols are also dynamik in map with the height. Antenna is ok too.

But What meens Height and Altitude?
I have a Database of Buildings and Antennas where the Point at the top
is in Feet MSL. So I configured it Height=300ft, And Altitude 300ft. It looks ok.
The Height I think is only for the Map Scaling.

I miss other nice Symbols like Cooling Tower, Bridge,Industrial, Building etc,
There is no option to include user ones.

Is ist planned for Inflight to show the Airspace in the bottom window in flight Direction? Or only for Flightplanning before.?
Seeing in Realtime in Flight the Airspace in front were very cooooool I think.
And Safety. And cool.

For IPAQ or Smartphone it was in the past a problem of screen dimensions.
But I have on my 4.3 inch PNA with 800*480 and all the other Navigation Systems with CE place for it.
And if that is possible:
Why not only the sideview; Compile also a FlightView for the Airspace window.
Make visible what nobody can see in front of.

:oh: thats enough
stop now

By
SG38

Tim Dawson
6th Oct 2009, 09:39
HF: the route file format has probably changed since that version.
x933: we're still working on the data for military fields; should be much better in this week's release.
SG38: read the website. That's already how the approaching features instrument works. The altitude and height of the top of an obstruction are different and it's very important to get it right if you're creating data for SkyAngel.

Human Factor
6th Oct 2009, 15:19
Thanks, Tim. I had a feeling there'd be a technical explanation. My computer skills are summed up by the phrase "point and click"! :uhoh:

J.A.F.O.
6th Oct 2009, 20:39
I am absolutely blown away by this, I'm not a techie type so I'll leave the nuts and bolts to those who are but I think this is the most incredible bit of software I've seen for flight planning.

I am as tight as a duck's chuff and I'd pay for this.

I think the work you've done, Tim, puts the big boys to shame. I've used lots of things in the past and I now know that this is what I'll use in future for flight planning and a moving map.

The side view of the route on the planning software is an inspired creation.

I am totally in awe of what you have achieved.

Given that we've established just how parsimonious I am I have a very old PDA and a mobile rescued from a dustbin - do you have any cost effective suggestions for what hardware I might acquire to run the moving map?

Thank you.

Tim Dawson
7th Oct 2009, 12:34
JAFO, thanks for the great (and humorous) feedback!

I'm no expert on hardware but I know lots of people are using very inexpensive car satnav units, that they've fiddled with somehow, to run SkyAngel InFlight. There are quite a few replies in this thread from people confirming that the software runs on their device.

As soon as I can (hopefully within a week) I'll have a forum set up on the SkyAngel website specifically to discuss the hardware on which it'll run.

Freightops
7th Oct 2009, 17:16
Dear Tim.
I havent tried the software yet and I have followed this threat. It is respectable what you have done.

I live in Germany and am going back into instructing and General Aviation flying after many years flying across the atlantic and far east.

I am not a computer geek. However I am converting my old laptop into a GPS.
I ordered a GPS receiver on amazon.de I was wondering if I downloaded your software if I could optain a Database for Europe somewhere? (Germany, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria)

I am also looking for a palm computer to use as a GPS since the laptop is a little big for a 2 seater with a stick.

Yours Sincerely,

Freightops

Tim Dawson
8th Oct 2009, 14:02
Freightops, so far there aren't any .skydata files available for other European countries apart from the sample France database offered on the SkyAngel site. There are lots of people in the process of creating such databases, though, so stay tuned.

Tim Dawson
8th Oct 2009, 14:05
A new version of the SkyAngel software has been posted for download. Here's a list of the improvements in this version:

Data
----
All runway and VHF frequency data for UK military airfields is now included
Some UK VRPs were missing; all should now be included

Plan
----
The map context menu now has a link directly to Google Maps
The GPX exported routes have been improved; many devices would not import the data previously exported
Double-clicking a .flightplan file will now open SkyAngel with that route loaded

InFlight
----
After panning the chart when in "follow" mode, the chart returns to following after 10 seconds
When a route is loaded the map jumps to the start point
GPS settings have been dramatically improved to aid diagnostics
Insert in Route option added to the waypoint context menu

Tim

ILOC
8th Oct 2009, 14:45
Hi Tim,

Talking of hardware, it would be great if InFlight could be compiled to run on plain old Windows too so people could run it on Tablet PCs.

Quite a few people use tablets so I'm sure the effort would be appreciated and PocketFMS (I guess one of your main competitors) supports this.

thesandfly
10th Oct 2009, 08:17
Tim,
As a geriatric, non computer literate pilot the simplicity of the old flight manager programme was my constant companion. Now long out of date it is retained merely since no subsequent offering has come close to providing a simple, clear, authoritive and comprehensive level of info and detail. Now along comes your offering, it is fantastic. If I can find my way to use it anyone can. You have clearly spent much time and effort in producing Skyangel and also in taking on board pilots suggestions that enable rough edges to be smoothed out.
I think I can speak for many in wishing you every success when you launch commercially, I for one will be rushing to buy. An excellent aid, thank you.
TSF

yakker
11th Oct 2009, 13:02
Tim, great piece of software. But I have a query. When planning a route, say Daventry VOR to West Wales. You will pass over/through Wellesbourne, but the flight plan will not pick up the frequency for Wellesbourne. At first I thought it was because I had planned to fly over Wellesbourne at 3000', but if I reduce this to 1500', the frequency is not picked up even though the planned route takes me through their airspace. This appears to happen on some planned routes but not others.

Tim Dawson
11th Oct 2009, 13:30
Fixed, thanks. It was because it was an AFIS service.

WorkingHard
11th Oct 2009, 13:53
Tim, how do I get the route plan to accept MY aircraft with speeds and fuel burn please? It does seem to default to the demo aircraft whch I have already changed but still get the wrong figures in the route plan.

many thanks

Tim Dawson
11th Oct 2009, 16:14
What figures are you talking about? If you just select your aircraft from the dropdown on the main toolbar, all relevant parameters (fuel, weight and balance) should propagate themselves into your plan.

If this is not happening, please give some more detail about exactly what aircraft you have defined, what route you have defined, what values you're expecting to see where and what values you actually DO see where. Thanks!

jxk
11th Oct 2009, 17:23
Tim -
Planned a flight from Thruxton skirting around the Southampton Zone: Andover - Chilbolton - Romsey VRP - Totton VRP - Beaulieu Disused - Cowes - Ryde - Hayling Island - Popham - Thruxton.
Observations: 1. Solent Radar frequency not included in FP Log ie 120.225 - 2. Cowes not on Map - 3 Ryde not on coast - 4 Portsmouth shown in the middle of Southampton Water.
I would like to add the private airfield I fly from to the map but can only indicate this as a waypoint; it would nice to add private airfields with their techinical details eg freq r/w phone no etc...
Hope you don't mind these minor points just trying to test the programme.
PS Wouldn't it be more appropriate to add these comments to the SkyAngel website? But how?.

Tim Dawson
11th Oct 2009, 20:45
Thanks jxk. Solent Radar seems to have gone away; not sure where but it's not listed as a service anywhere in the AIP that I can find, therefore it's not in SkyAngel. I had thought they offered a LARS but perhaps I'm wrong about that.

Your points about towns being slightly misplaced are of course valid but not fixable by me right now; they're the data that I have. This will of course improve in the future. This week you'll get lakes, railways, roads and urban areas on the map but some town waypoints will still be slightly awry.

There is a facility to add custom data in SkyAngel; see the URL below for more information. Hopefully this week I'll manage to get a forum online on the SkyAngel site specifically for such discussions.
SkyAngel Custom Data Information (http://fly.styli.sh/data/custom.aspx)

mikehallam
12th Oct 2009, 22:54
Has SkyAngel website temporarily gone down ?
My browser keep coming up unobtainable.
Perhaps the whole site is under reconstruction or ?
Mike Hallam

JW411
13th Oct 2009, 07:23
Well Solent were still there yesterday; I spoke to them on two separate occasions and received a basic service.

Tim Dawson
13th Oct 2009, 10:00
Mike, there's been no scheduled maintenance to the site and it seems to be working at the moment.
JW: I know, me too!

CessnaCJM
13th Oct 2009, 10:23
I hope you dont mind another question - I flight planned from Shoreham to Turweston via Woodley NDB - the flight plan generated a NDB frequency etc for Blackbushe as its close to the track, but not Woodley which is a waypoint - a minor issue I know but thought you should be aware. Thanks for this PLOG programme its saving me hours!:ok:

Tim Dawson
13th Oct 2009, 10:49
Thanks Cessna; some effort has been spent on making the PLOG frequency selction more clever this week and I can confirm that Woodley is now included in that route.

CessnaCJM
13th Oct 2009, 10:58
Its still not on the one that I did again this morning. Do I need to download a later version, mine is a few weeks old? Thanks again.

Tim Dawson
13th Oct 2009, 11:11
Apologies for being unclear; SkyAngel builds are released on Thursdays and this week's is not yet released.

Eric T Cartman
14th Oct 2009, 15:28
Hi Tim
Installed & working well on HTC Touch HD :)
A couple of corrections - the Glide Path angles for Runways 21 & 31 @ Prestwick should be 3.5 Deg. Keep up the great work please! :ok: :D

Tim Dawson
14th Oct 2009, 15:55
Thanks Eric. We don't actually have any data for glidepath angles, so we just made a default of 3.0 and allow the user to change it easily.

Tim Dawson
15th Oct 2009, 13:38
Hi guys,

There's a new version of SkyAngel available. The most significant changes this week are data improvements, but there are some usability improvements too. Here's the breakdown:

Data
----
Lakes, roads, railways and urban areas are now mapped
Obstruction data is now available for the USA
We now have initial data support for Sweden
Airways in the UK are now pulled from our own data
Flightnav data is now included, bringing many smaller airfields and farm strips in the UK

Plan
----
Exporting directly from Plan to Garmin devices is now supported
NOTAMs can now be copied and pasted in from websites for any FIR
It is now possible to hide airfields whose longest runway is shorter than a specified value
Selection of frequencies for display on the PLOG has been improved

InFlight
--------
Zoom buttons are now displayed as primary instruments onscreen
Position report feature gives an at-a-glance "9 nm N of Waypoint" position report
It is now possible to visually plot circular routes
Drawing of the coastline can now be disabled, leading to better performance for inland flights
Clicking on the ETA instrument changes the display to ETE (and back again)

Captain-Random
15th Oct 2009, 18:04
Mr Dawson,

Well done on such a great piece of software. :D:D

Do you have a desktop icon you could post so that it looks as good on the desktop as it is inside the programme?

Also is there a way to add the route features box to the printable plog?

C-R

Robin Driver
17th Oct 2009, 10:54
Tim.

I don't seem to be able to change the "Weather station proximity to route distance" it's set to 15 nm but when I type in a new figure and click ok then close it, it defaults back to 15.

I fly from Caernarfon and we always use Valley weather so I'd like that to display.

When generating a route plan from Caernarfon to where ever, I'd like Valley frequencies to display on the printed plan as well. Is this possible?

Using the latest V.0.9.7.21959

Thanks.

Tim Dawson
17th Oct 2009, 11:14
CR, cheers, artwork hasn't been done yet but should make an appearance before v1 is finished. There's no way to get the enroute features display ont he PLOG I'm afraid.

Robin Driver, 15nm is the maximum distance from the route in which SkyAngel can look for features (including weather stations) at the moment. Unfortunately there is no way to specify that a certain radio station is always included on the PLOG either; this is something I want to get done in a post-v1 release.

Captain-Random
17th Oct 2009, 14:47
Another question... Is there anyway to save the PLOG as a word doc so that it can be saved and printed off another pc without the main programme? (I rarely have ink in my printer)

srayne
17th Oct 2009, 15:29
Another question... Is there anyway to save the PLOG as a word doc so that it can be saved and printed off another pc without the main programme? (I rarely have ink in my printer)

You can download a free PDF printer application such as primoPDF (http://www.primopdf.com) then print to the PDF printer and transfer the resultant PDF file to another PC.

Tim Dawson
17th Oct 2009, 15:48
There are two ways of accomplishing what you want:

1. Right click the document -> view source -> save, this will save as a .html document that can be viewed on any computer.

2. Print to XPS or PDF or Document Writer or any other print-to-file facility available in the list of "printers" that you can choose from. This is what those facilities are designed for; so that you can take that file to another computer and print it there.

kr0me
17th Oct 2009, 20:16
If you can code it for Macs then possibly an iPhone app would be the next move? I've just downloaded a program for my iPhone called copilot for Ģ12 which has 10% of the features SkyAngel has. You could price it double that of copilot, make an absolute killing and I'd be your first customer!

I love it, I'm still trying to work it all out but at first impression, I'm extremely impressed.:ok:

rdbc2007
18th Oct 2009, 22:26
Hi All,

I was just wondering what kind of hardware you are running Sky Inflight on? Any recommendations?

Thanks
rdbc

Tim Dawson
22nd Oct 2009, 09:38
A new version of SkyAngel, version 0.9.8 (http://fly.styli.sh/download.aspx), has been posted. This version has mainly bug fixes but there are some data and functionality improvements too. Note that in Plan, I have changed some of the colours in this release to match the CAA charts. This is an experiment: if most people prefer the old colours, I'll switch back in the next release. Please let me know!

Also note that there is now a forum (http://fly.styli.sh/forums)on the SkyAngel website (http://fly.styli.sh)for discussion of the product, compatible GPS devices, suggestions for future features etc.

In this release:

Data
----
Spot elevations now included on chart and in MSA calculations
UK FIS sector information now included so London Info will appear in PLOG

InFlight
--------
Data loading time halved
Fixed "invalid land polygon" bug that some people were experiencing

Plan
----
Scale added to main map
Save option added to PLOG viewer, to facilitate editing of default output
3D terrain shading colours are now rounded, making it useful for determining elevation while still retaining shading
The default (first) aircraft can now be removed
More intelligent selection of frequencies included on PLOG

yakker
22nd Oct 2009, 19:48
Tim,

Just keeps getting better.
However where is the A14 from the M1/M6 junction to the A1 at Huntingdon?

gizmocat
23rd Oct 2009, 10:07
Absolutely astounding bit of kit. Thanks Tim.:ok:

Daultonio
23rd Oct 2009, 18:30
Love it well done A++++++++

I notice you keep updating it, do i have to keep downloading a new one or does it up date by itself??
any help?

but it is a great product

cct
23rd Oct 2009, 19:43
Version 0.9.8 seems to have an issue. I uninstalled the previous verrsion & installed - then:

System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
at Divelements.Mapping.ComplexGeometry.xed3e11f57244d7cb()
at Divelements.Mapping.TwoDimensionalGeometry.GetPoints()
at Divelements.Aviation.FlightPlanner.Rendering.x2c1c98f7e7ef4c 48.x1a89deb7cc499658(GeometryEntity x4181df4cd38a69a0)
at Divelements.Aviation.FlightPlanner.Rendering.x2c1c98f7e7ef4c 48.x309a321eaca6b213(GeometryEntity x4181df4cd38a69a0)
at Divelements.Aviation.FlightPlanner.Rendering.x2c1c98f7e7ef4c 48.xdde427ad235f604b(Graphics x41347a961b838962, GeometryEntity xa9a706768ab5b5b1, Pen x90279591611601bc)
at Divelements.Aviation.FlightPlanner.Rendering.xc33d26eab04d79 57.x32e22c96910a9b10(x2c1c98f7e7ef4c48 xd0bb5d9c9ba91857, xd7cb7ac31049ffae x0f7b23d1c393aed9, AirspaceEntity xa9a706768ab5b5b1)
at Divelements.Aviation.FlightPlanner.Rendering.x867d3d2864d7f7 d1.DrawGeometryEntity(xd7cb7ac31049ffae context, GeometryEntity entity)
at Divelements.Aviation.FlightPlanner.Rendering.x2c1c98f7e7ef4c 48.xe406325e56f74b46(Graphics x41347a961b838962, Rectangle xe831729bf4ec9571)
at Divelements.Aviation.FlightPlanner.Rendering.x970ba8497cedc7 24.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEve ntArgs e, Int16 layer, Boolean disposeEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Mes sage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

mscorlib
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
SkyAngel
Assembly Version: 0.9.8.16605
Win32 Version: 0.9.8.16605
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Divelements%20Limited/SkyAngel%20Plan/SkyAngel.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4918 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Divelements.SandGrid
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Divelements%20Limited/SkyAngel%20Plan/Divelements.SandGrid.DLL
SandDock
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Divelements%20Limited/SkyAngel%20Plan/SandDock.DLL
SandBar
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Divelements%20Limited/SkyAngel%20Plan/SandBar.DLL
System.Web.Services
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Web.Services/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.Services.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

To be sure I uninstalled, rebooted and installed a fresh download. Same again.

Any ideas?

NVFlyingMonkey
28th Oct 2009, 03:45
I live in Nevada, near Reno. I've installed the USA dem file, and the California one. I can see terrain in CA, but not in NV. There was no file for NV. Where do they come from, how are they made, etc? How do I get to see the terrain and airports for NV?

Thanks,
NVFlyingMonkey

Tim Dawson
28th Oct 2009, 08:40
yakker, if a road is missing it means it's older than the public-domain vector map data I'm using. For the moment there isn't much I can do about this.

Daultonio, at the moment it's being updated every week (not this week though) and requries you to uninstall your old one, and install the new one. There will be automatic updates in a future version.

cct, I'm looking into that bug, a few people have reported it and I haven't yet gotten to the bottom of it.

NVFlyingMonkey, I'll post the Nevada file this coming weekend along with a few more states. I haven't quite decided yet how I'm going to bundle USA data together.

Steve.Winter
28th Oct 2009, 23:12
Hi Tim,

I love the software. I bought Flitestar VFR this year and have given up with it despite the cost as it was just too complicated and slow to do anything. Your software is far more intuitive and gives all the information and more that I want.

Thanks
Steve
:ok:

yakker
30th Oct 2009, 17:56
Hi Tim,

The A14 section between the M1/M6 and the A1 was opened in 1994. So its your vector map data thats old.

Tim Dawson
30th Oct 2009, 19:00
Er yes, that's what I meant.

gsjefferies
31st Oct 2009, 22:20
I've loaded this on my laptop and reckon its brilliant, are you recommending a portable device for inflight use? I have an iPaq 314 which has now died for the second time and although it's a great piece of kit I won't chance it failing again and would like to replace it with something that will run your software in flight. Obviously a large screen would be good maybe 5" - 7" is there something that would suit?

Oldvicar
3rd Nov 2009, 16:49
Tim, more congratulations on producing a great application,and thank you for the great convenience. I'd like to contribute a few suggestions.

I very much like the new chart colouring in 0.9.8.

The ability to print the chart view would be greatly advantageous for route familiarisation before flights. I fully accept the need to have a CAA chart plotted and in the cockpit always, but the subset of information which could be printed from SkyAngel would be very convenient pre-flight.

Is there any argument against printing out the wonderful en-route features? This will be a huge safety feature and a great help to all of us.

Can I set my home airfield (Conington in my case) as the centre of the screen on start-up? I don't often get down to the wilds of the beautiful south-west!

When I double-click on a route segment, I get an unhandled exception error - which is a surprising outcome. When I select 'Continue' and then enter new altitude and speed for that segment, the values don't appear to be accepted. Am I doing something wrong?

I hope these help, and I'm pleased to be able to contribute to the development of such a useful and well-designed product. I'm running it on the 'production' version of Windows 7 Professional without any difficulty, by the way.

Tim Dawson
3rd Nov 2009, 17:40
Thanks OldVicar, there's a bug in the 0.9.8 release whereby you'll get that exception if you double-click on a route segment where one of the ends is not on a recognised waypoint. It's been fixed ready for this week's release.

There are a few technical reasons why printing the chart displays isn't currently available as well as my fear that someone might try and use it as a "chart" in the cockpit. I can imagine the enroute features window becoming printable before the main map is, but neither will happen before version 1 release.

The map should remember the last thing you were looking at, it certainly shouldn't take you back to the south-west every time you start it.

Captain-Random
4th Nov 2009, 08:43
When i click on Scunthorpe it comes up with a totallly different name - Foddingham or something like like.

Any reasom why?

Tim Dawson
4th Nov 2009, 09:05
Yeah, there was a tiny town in our database at exactly the same location that was being picked up by the waypoint resolver. Fixed, thanks.

mikehallam
4th Nov 2009, 16:39
I've been following this & trying the home based prog. from the start on this forum. It's great !
Could you kindly alter the strip height for Jackrell's Farm to 230 ft. pls, next time you have the opportunity.

Thanks,

mikehallam.

Tim Dawson
4th Nov 2009, 16:57
I can't personally, but the data for non-AIP airfields comes from FlightNav.co.uk. If you spot an error in that data, that's the place to go to get it corrected.

Tim Dawson
5th Nov 2009, 10:20
Hi Guys,

It's that time of the week again. This build adds a great deal of polish as we work towards the full version 1 release. Here's a breakdown of what's changed and new:

InFlight
---
Cut down data loading time by roughly two thirds, compared with previous release
Added "inspect" context menu item for examining all the information about any item on the main map
Approaching Features instrument enhanced with inspection capabilities, better warnings and more features drawn
When you exit the software, if the GPS was active it is automatically started next time
Follow mode (north/heading up) is now in Options, simplifying the menu item under the Chart menu to a simple check box
The map position and zoom level is now remembered
Warning thresholds are now adjustable, like they are in Plan, via the Options window
Route and track log folders have been changed to reside within the SkyAngel directory, because many devices were discarding the contents of the My Documents folder

Plan
---
Enroute Features view improved with better drawing and more helpful weather tooltips
PLOG format improved with more usage of colours to denote differences between waypoint types, radio aid types etc
The TAS for a route now comes from the aircraft default speed unless a route TAS is explicitly specified
User Waypoints window added for centralised management of user waypoints
User Waypoints are now exported to InFlight along with a route
Planned fuel is now saved along with a route
The last-used aircraft is now selected when the application is next started
Fixed a bug introduced two builds ago that would prevent SkyAngel from working on 64-bit Windows

Enjoy.

mikehallam
5th Nov 2009, 15:12
Thanks for the link. Tim,

I've got in touch & now sent them correct data which they've incorporated on their site for Jackrell's Farm.

mikehallam

Tone
5th Nov 2009, 16:31
Hi Tim
I just loaded the new version of Plan and found that I had lost all my user waypoints. No problem to load them again but I thought I would try to load them from a saved route. Now here's a strange thing - if I highlight a waypoint in the old route, then right click to create a user waypoint it ends up a long way from where the old waypoint in the route was. Tried it with a few and they all seem to be 1 or 2 miles from where I expected.

Tone

Tim Dawson
5th Nov 2009, 16:49
The user waypoint should end up in the exact position of the mouse cursor when you right-click; is this not happening?

We changed the user waypoint storage medium in this version. They're all stored in your My Documents folder under SkyAngel now, in a simple XML file so it's easy to share/edit/transfer/backup all of them without worrying that a future version might not find them (as has occurred here). Previously they were stored alongside the software's general settings.

chrisN
5th Nov 2009, 21:19
How does one get into an xml file to edit it or copy some/all of its contents?

Chris N.

eharding
5th Nov 2009, 22:11
How does one get into an xml file to edit it or copy some/all of its contents?

Chris N.

At the very least, any text editor; but if you manage to screw up the formatting of the contents, there is no guarantee the original application will load it again afterwards.

There are graduated levels of self-description and validation of XML, and editors which take this into account and ensure your changes are validated, but in the first instance try notepad....or vi.....:E

chrisN
5th Nov 2009, 23:09
Thanks. So "Notepad" should do it.

Obviously, if amending or adding, format of carriage returns, commas and spaces etc. have to be maintained.

Chris N.

Tim Dawson
5th Nov 2009, 23:14
Yes notepad will do it just fine. XML isn't that strict; as long as the elements are there (between the angle brackets) it will read the data just fine. Don't worry too much about carriage returns or other whitespace. You'll see that there's just one waypoint per line.

Having said that, it shouldn't be necessary to edit the file manually when you can use SkyAngel to do it. But, if you wanted to import a load of waypoints from a friend, pasting them in to the file would work just fine.

gizmocat
6th Nov 2009, 09:25
Superb addition Tim, many thanks.

Tone
6th Nov 2009, 09:51
Hi Tim
I have tried this again by setting up a new route to include Bottesford VRP and Hucknall. With this route loaded I right clicked on the Bottesford and Hucknall boxes and created user waypoints. Both turned out to be some distance from where I expected them to be.
From the route data;
<Hint Location="N525753.00 W0004654.00" Name="Bottesford" />
<Hint Location="N530052.00 W0011306.00" Name="Hucknall" />
and from the user waypoints;
Bot N525804.00 W0004644.00
Huc N530027.00 W0011048.00

The cursor was in the middle of the descrition box when I right clicked. This oddity only occurs if you try to create user waypoints from an existing route and the only reason I was trying to do this was because I thought I had lost all my user waypoints.
Perhaps not serious but you should be aware of it.
Tone

Tim Dawson
6th Nov 2009, 10:19
Tone, I'm pretty sure this is happening because you're expecting the new waypoint to be created in exactly the same position as the centre of the turningpoint box. This isn't the case; it'll be created in the position of the mouse cursor which is likely off by a few pixels, which will translate to a few seconds of accuracy.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention though. In the future it might be possible to detect the case where you're clicking on an existing turningpoint and enforce the exact position of the turningpoint, rather than getting the current mouse cursor position.

Tone
6th Nov 2009, 14:11
Tim
Thanks for the quick reply. The thing that brought this to my attention was the fact that the user waypoints I created were well ouside the turning point box, up to a mile or more. If it were only a few pixels different I would't have noticed.
Tone

Tim Dawson
6th Nov 2009, 14:27
Well now that I cannot explain. :ugh:

ft
7th Nov 2009, 19:22
I love being able to insert custom NOTAMs for my home FIR.

However, there's a bug in the implementation. It will only work when copying the NOTAM list in IE. When using Google Chrome, you get all the NOTAMs parsed as one giant NOTAM.

The culprit is the end-of-line detection. IE copies the NOTAMs as

ESAA (SWEDEN FIR) Top

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A0377/09 NOTAMN Q) ESAA/QXXXX/I /NB /E /000/999/6156N01713E999 A) ESAA B) 0910160838 C) 0911192359 E) NEW CFMU AFTN ADDRESSES EUCHZMFP AND EUCBZMFP ARE OPERATIONAL. OLD CFMU AFTN ADDRESSES ARE PLANNED TO BE DISCONTINUED WEF. 22 OCT 2009. REF AIC A10/08 AND ENR 1.11 AIP AIRAC AMDT. 121/09

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A0382/09 NOTAMN Q) ESAA/QANCH/I /NBO/E /285/460/6156N01713E999 A) ESAA B) 0911190000 C) PERM E) RNAV ROUTE UP850 FL285-FL460 CHANGE OF FLIGHT LEVEL ALLOCATION AS FLW: NORTHEASTBOUND SUTOK-BAKIL ODD, SOUTHWESTBOUND BAKIL-SUTOK EVEN. REF AIP PAGE ENR 3-3-32 WEF 19 NOV 2009 F) FL285 G) FL460

A0388/09 NOTAMR A0340/09 Q) ESAA/QKKKK/K /K /K /000/999/6156N01713E999 A) ESAA B) 0911011014 C) 0912011014 EST E) CHECKLIST YEAR=2008 0285 YEAR=2009 0014 0236 0237 0302 0329 0366 0374 0376 0377 0382 LATEST PUBLICATIONS AIP AIRAC AMDT IFR 121/2009 EFFECTIVE DATE 19 NOV 09 AIP AIRAC SUP IFR 003/2009 EFFECTIVE DATE 09 APR 09 AIP SUP IFR 023/2009 EFFECTIVE DATE 15 OCT 09 AIC IFR A008/2009 EFFECTIVE DATE 28 MAY 09

while Google Chrome enters the same NOTAMs on the clipboard as

ESAA (SWEDEN FIR) Top
A0377/09 NOTAMN Q) ESAA/QXXXX/I /NB /E /000/999/6156N01713E999 A) ESAA B) 0910160838 C) 0911192359 E) NEW CFMU AFTN ADDRESSES EUCHZMFP AND EUCBZMFP ARE OPERATIONAL. OLD CFMU AFTN ADDRESSES ARE PLANNED TO BE DISCONTINUED WEF. 22 OCT 2009. REF AIC A10/08 AND ENR 1.11 AIP AIRAC AMDT. 121/09
A0382/09 NOTAMN Q) ESAA/QANCH/I /NBO/E /285/460/6156N01713E999 A) ESAA B) 0911190000 C) PERM E) RNAV ROUTE UP850 FL285-FL460 CHANGE OF FLIGHT LEVEL ALLOCATION AS FLW: NORTHEASTBOUND SUTOK-BAKIL ODD, SOUTHWESTBOUND BAKIL-SUTOK EVEN. REF AIP PAGE ENR 3-3-32 WEF 19 NOV 2009 F) FL285 G) FL460
A0388/09 NOTAMR A0340/09 Q) ESAA/QKKKK/K /K /K /000/999/6156N01713E999 A) ESAA B) 0911011014 C) 0912011014 EST E) CHECKLIST YEAR=2008 0285 YEAR=2009 0014 0236 0237 0302 0329 0366 0374 0376 0377 0382 LATEST PUBLICATIONS AIP AIRAC AMDT IFR 121/2009 EFFECTIVE DATE 19 NOV 09 AIP AIRAC SUP IFR 003/2009 EFFECTIVE DATE 09 APR 09 AIP SUP IFR 023/2009 EFFECTIVE DATE 15 OCT 09 AIC IFR A008/2009 EFFECTIVE DATE 28 MAY 09

Cut and paste into Word to replace each carriage return with a double carriage returns solves the problem, so apparently SkyAngel expects double CRs for some reason.

Yet another item on the to do list, but a rather small one I'd say. :)

If you want more of a challenge, make it possible to present the full text of each notam when double clicking them. As it is, there are plenty of notams which are not easily deciphered when truncated to only the text portion and the position.

Cheers!
/Fred

Tim Dawson
7th Nov 2009, 20:47
NOTAMs should always end with a double newline. Chrome not copying text to the clipboard properly isn't something I intend to work around in SkyAngel.

ft
8th Nov 2009, 15:35
Where's that requirement found? Not saying I doubt it exists, I just can't locate it from a quick browse through Annex 15/Doc 8400 and I'm curious by nature. :)

Regarding the copying algorithms, you'll have to blame Naviair (which you link in SkyAngel) and not Google Chrome. It's the Naviair site which (re)publishes the NOTAMs without any newlines at all, as the NOTAM page is an HTML table rather than raw text. This gives browsers a lot of freedom to implement the copying any old way they please, regardless of what ICAO says.

As a user, I kindly request this feature in order to be able to use my standard browser in conjunction with your software. ICAO compliant or not, the current implementation hampers the usability of the software.

Ideally, we'd have access to the raw NOTAM feeds for every FIR in the world but looking at it realistically, you'll have users copying NOTAM text from pretty much any source they can get their hands on. Strict enforcement of the data format will mean lots of frustrated users around the world. This far, it's just luck that IE copies tables in a (non-ICAO-compliant) format which the parser can handle.

Cheers,
/Fred

Bigglesthefrog
8th Nov 2009, 17:58
Hi ft
Whilst I think that the Google Chrome user interface is good and the browser has some nice touches, it is not without a few bugs:eek:
I recently discovered this when I found that our group website booking sheet would not display the availability page properly. Not just slightly, but really badly!! Friends of mine have similar stories and some have gone back to Firefox.:cool:

ft
8th Nov 2009, 19:19
Biggles,
you knew I'd have to go try it in Firefox now, didn't you?

ESAA (SWEDEN FIR) Top
B0457/09 NOTAMN Q) ESAA/QARCS/IV/NBO/E /285/460/5558N01715E020 A) ESAA B) 0905070000 C) PERM E) ATS RNAV ROUTE UM990 SEGMENT KOLJA-GISON IMPLEMENTED AS FLW: KOLJA 560000.0N 0164852.8E - GISON 555554.0N 0174206.0E, TRUE TR 097/278, DIST 56KM/30NM, VER LIMITS FL285/FL460, ODD LEVELS EB EVEN WB, BIDIRECTIONAL.

Uh-oh. :)

Cheers!
/Fred

Tim Dawson
8th Nov 2009, 20:02
All right, all right. Done.

Tim Dawson
10th Nov 2009, 16:28
As development of SkyAngel decreases because of the upcoming release, I'd really like to get some feedback about how you'd like to see the software distributed.

Most importantly, are you interested in Plan, InFlight or both?

There would be advantages to packaging the two together, or at least making Plan a requirement of InFlight, because Plan has the richness to make dealing with data updates much easier (it could automatically pass them on to InFlight via ActiveSync). I'm aware that many people will have no use for InFlight because they already have a decent GPS solution, so I don't want to force it on anyone who only wants Plan.

Assuming that whatever you bought (Plan, InFlight or both) came with a year of data updates on the AIRAC cycle and also software improvements, what would you expect to pay?

Tim Dawson
12th Nov 2009, 10:56
Hi guys, this week's SkyAngel build has been released. As always, details of the new features are below, but in particular I'd like to ask anybody who previously attempted to export a route to their Garmin GPS device and had it fail, to try again and let me know what happens. Cheers.

Data
---
Terrain elevation data accuracy greatly improved
Scottish towns now appear plotted on the map according to their population
Dense groups of the same type of obstruction are now automatically thinned out

InFlight
---
Documentation is now published for the SkyAngel InFlight product (accessible from the download page)
You can now configure how many minutes ahead are shown in the approaching features instrument
A bug introduced in the 0.9.9 release where some devices could not run InFlight at all has been fixed

Plan
---
Route creation user interface improved to support dragging the route anywhere, not just to waypoints
Exporting directly from Plan to Magellan devices is now supported

Andy H
14th Nov 2009, 16:15
This is such a good program that I hesitate to criticise it al all. However, I do have an improvement to suggest.

The weight & Balance graph is a most useful feature when planning a trip. However, could we have two little crosses - one with full tanks and one with empty tanks? Or even, a little gold plated this, one with the weight on arrival?

Looking forward to this !

Andy H

Tim Dawson
19th Nov 2009, 11:04
The good news this week is that we now fully support France, with most of its data available this week and completion by next week. We'll be moving into the rest of Europe after that. Here's the breakdown of changes in today's release:

Data
---
France data has been fully rewritten to first-class standard (some radio aids still TBD)
Ireland data improved with better runway, frequency and radio aid information
Towns are now more accurately placed where before there could be a position error of up to one mile

Plan
---
Enroute navigation aids could be omitted from the PLOG when they should be included
A new option has been added to map clipping to omit obstructions below a given height
Terrain rendering speed improved, especially for areas of North America
Class E airspace is now depicted with green colours, to distinguish it from class B, C and D airspace

InFlight
---
Adjustment of the map font size is now possible

P.S. Andy that's a great idea, I'll see what I can do.

MFC_Fly
22nd Nov 2009, 00:03
Have I missed something?

Just visited the SkyAngel website to see it is now called SkyDemon - or has the site been hacked?

Tim Dawson
22nd Nov 2009, 09:35
We've had to change the name ready for release. There's a car satnav company with a broad trademark that made using the SkyAngel name too risky.

Donalk
22nd Nov 2009, 11:04
Tim - I presume distribution would be direct and not through resellers. In this case you might consider offering Plan and InFlight as stand alone products with a bundle price for Plan and InFlight.

For me I would only be interested in Plan as I have a very good GPS solution (glass cockpit) but if the bundle proposition were attractive enough it might be tempting to have some redundancy.

Assuming that whatever you bought (Plan, InFlight or both) came with a year of data updates on the AIRAC cycle and also software improvements, what would you expect to pay?

This is the tricky one. For me it would need to include rest of Europe and I suspect that most 'continent' based pilots would feel the same. With UK and France data it does have an immediate market in the UK but is limited for the rest of us.

Having said that it is a superb product and if you get rest of Europe completed in a timely fashion then it looks like you will have a winner. Pricing I guess would need to be competitive and pitched against the competition. Would FliteStar be the closest comparison and if so would you charge a premium for additional functionality or enhanced service levels.

These are the commercial decisions you face but the product speaks for itself.