PDA

View Full Version : VFR flight planning and navigation software I've written

Pages : 1 [2]

Tim Dawson
22nd Nov 2009, 13:30
Thanks for the feedback Donalk. We've already got Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg data done and we'll have Germany data done this week too. If you check the Countries page on the site, they'll be available very soon.

Tim Dawson
26th Nov 2009, 10:03
Hi Guys,

This week's release has been posted. I'm happy to say we've reached a level of stability where there should only be one or possibly two more releases before version 1 is finished. This week we've added support for Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and Luxembourg and all this data is available for download right now from the website (www.skydemon.aero (http://www.skydemon.aero)).

Just a couple of very minor changes this week:

Visibility of instrument reporting points and visual reporting points is now independently controlled in Plan
Solved the "route truncated" problem with exporting routes to Garmin devices from Plan

Tapping the aeroplane hexagon now brings up a position report, meaning you don't have to go through the menu, in InFlight

Enjoy!

Tim

IO540
26th Nov 2009, 11:23
Direct sales is THE way to go these days, on every product which can be sold online.

Dealers are too slow to take up new products, and if you start selling via dealers, they will quickly spot that you are a newbie and will try to screw you into an exclusivity deal, which puts you into a politically difficult situation because if you say NO (which as a prudent businessman you must) the dealer will go off in a huff and will not come back.

One has to inflate - at the outset - the end user price by some 30%, because dealers will come on board later, when they have seen the product's success. They will then come on board much more on your terms :) The 30% is their reseller discount.

Been there, done that, many times since 1978 :)

chrisN
26th Nov 2009, 12:46
Tim, are gliding sites supposed to have disappeared? Can't see mine (Ridgewell) or another close by (Gransden Lodge) that used to be visible in Plan.

Chris N.

Tim Dawson
26th Nov 2009, 14:30
IO540, I agree. But don't forget that although we've never developed flight-planning software before, my company has been developing and selling software products online for years. I've no doubt that resellers will pick up SkyDemon software products before very long, but there's absolutely no reason for us not to sell direct either. This has always been my preferred way of selling; cut out the middleman and everybody wins. Are you in the software industry too?

Chris, they haven't disappeared. Ensure you've got sporting sites turned on, on the map toolbar. Your options will probably have been lost if you were using the software before because of the name change this week.

feldmeir
26th Nov 2009, 14:41
I have been playing around with a Chinese navigation
UMPC with 5ce on it, have been unable to get Skydemon to work. Was wondering if you have had any luck with this sort of equipement. Does not like loading the NET software.

Feldmeir

IO540
26th Nov 2009, 14:56
A little bit but mostly it's hardware; factory automation / industrial comms.

chrisN
26th Nov 2009, 17:46
Thanks, Tim. Chris N.

simon-M
27th Nov 2009, 16:49
I love the flight plan software and really want to try out the in-flight version. unfortunately my iPAQ PDA only runs windows mobile 2003. Does anyone know if there's any way of upgrading this to windows mobile 5.0 so I can try the software out?
Cheers

IO540
28th Nov 2009, 10:30
Does anyone know if there's any way of upgrading this to windows mobile 5.0 so I can try the software out?

Do a google on putting wm5 onto your particular PDA. There is a lot of stuff on the internet on this. WM5 works for some devices; not for others.

WM is a pile of cr*p anyway, but on a PDA you are probably stuck with it. I have a Fuji LOOX PDA running WM5 and it is almost OK. The FLASH based application storage is a big improvement. Still needs a regular reset though :)

Tim Dawson
30th Nov 2009, 14:18
This is (likely) the last beta release of SkyDemon. We've added a couple of superficial configuration features, finalised artwork/naming and improved Town data but apart from that everything is pretty much identical to the last released version.

Oh, and data for Denmark will be available by the end of today.

Plan
---
It is now possible to specify the port to use when communicating with Garmin/Magellan external devices
It is now possible to specify the search path to use when communicating with SkyDemon InFlight devices

InFlight
---
The altimeter is now highlighted in red when uncalibrated from ellipsoid altitude

chopper.al
30th Nov 2009, 14:35
Hi Tim, You're a genius!!! this is the most user friendly planning software I've come across. I have been telling everybody I know about it and told them to purchase ASAP. (Commission?)

I was thinking, would it be an idea to speak to one of the GPS suppliers and sell the software already loaded into their Sat Nav? I know you would be selling the licence for them to use your program but they may take it to a bigger market and give you a bigger return.

Alan.

mr_rodge
30th Nov 2009, 14:39
Hi,

I've been observing this thread for a while now and have just had a go at using the software, which is absolutely fantastic. I'm not a PPL yet, just a student, so I don't have much to comment on with the practical use of the package, however I understand the concept and I am astounded.

There is one thing I'm struggling with, though. My internet connection is via a proxy server and when I plot a route the weather information and NOTAM automatic download fails, giving me a message regarding proxy authentication. I've had a trawl around and don't seem to be able to find an option to input my proxy settings and credentials.

I also have a F&H PND (eBuyer), which is basically a Navigo but with a 4.3" screen. I have managed to run Memory-map (Tried in the car, ready for when I qualify!) and Igo 8 on it with no real problems, however I'd like to try SkyDemon Inflight as well for the more versatile track information among other obvious things. The PND is a Windows CE 5.0 device, and I have downloaded the Inflight BETA, however it states on the website that the .NET compact framework is required. I have downloaded this also, however it only seems to come as an installer package which won't run on my PND. I don't want to start messing with it as I may damage it, and the internal memory of the PND is reset to factory settings when I perform a hard reset meaning even if it did install, it would be gone again after a switch off. Does this mean I can't run Inflight on it? Or are there some DLLs etc. that I could place in the InFlight directory? I haven't actually tried any of this, by the way, I'm just posing the questions before I break my PND. From what I can gather, ideally I would need a zipped version of the framework to place on the SD card, then somehow instruct InFlight to refer to the directory I've placed the framework in. I had to do something similar to get Memory-map to remember it is a genuine copy. (I had to change the registry to look for Application Data on the SD card, not on the internal memory. This enabled me to register the software on the PND and the device to be hard reset without the licence for MM being lost as the registry isn't reset after a hard off.)

Again, thanks for letting everyone try the Beta, and be sure to let us know when the final's released as I, as I'm sure others are, am very eager to own the final version.

Tim Dawson
30th Nov 2009, 15:18
Thanks Alan, very much appreciated. We've been talking with some people about getting SkyDemon hardware devices produced. There's nothing to announce yet but it would seem unlikely for SkyDemon to be successful in general and for there not to be a dedicated hardware device created at some point.

mr_rodge, unfortunately there isn't scope now to introduce proxy settings for that aspect of SkyDemon before release. This is almost certainly something that'll happen after v1 release though. As for your hardware question, installation of .net should be as easy as connecting the device via ActiveSync and running the .net installer on your desktop machine. It should offer to install it on the device during installation. As for whether it'll be wiped when the device is reset, I have no idea. There's a forum specifically for that type of question on the SkyDemon site.

Robin Driver
1st Dec 2009, 08:29
Hi Tim.

Running the latest version.

When I zoom in, to place a waypoint, if I zoom beyond a certain point I get the following:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.
************** Exception Text **************
System.Runtime.InteropServices.ExternalException: A generic error occurred in GDI+.
at System.Drawing.Graphics.CheckErrorStatus(Int32 status)
at System.Drawing.Graphics.DrawString(String s, Font font, Brush brush, RectangleF layoutRectangle, StringFormat format)
at Divelements.Aviation.FlightPlanner.Rendering.xc33d26eab04d79 57.x7253d7b8c846d67d(x2c1c98f7e7ef4c48 xd0bb5d9c9ba91857, xd7cb7ac31049ffae x0f7b23d1c393aed9, AirspaceEntity x79168b9c04e9426d)
at Divelements.Aviation.FlightPlanner.Rendering.xc33d26eab04d79 57.x32e22c96910a9b10(x2c1c98f7e7ef4c48 xd0bb5d9c9ba91857, xd7cb7ac31049ffae x0f7b23d1c393aed9, AirspaceEntity xa9a706768ab5b5b1)
at Divelements.Aviation.FlightPlanner.Rendering.xc33d26eab04d79 57.x5984854cf71a7a94(x867d3d2864d7f7d1 xd0bb5d9c9ba91857, xd7cb7ac31049ffae x0f7b23d1c393aed9, Entity xa9a706768ab5b5b1)
at Divelements.Aviation.FlightPlanner.Rendering.x867d3d2864d7f7 d1.DrawTwoDimensionalEntity(xd7cb7ac31049ffae context, Entity entity)
at Divelements.Aviation.FlightPlanner.Rendering.x2c1c98f7e7ef4c 48.xe406325e56f74b46(Graphics x41347a961b838962, Rectangle xe831729bf4ec9571)
at Divelements.Aviation.FlightPlanner.Rendering.x970ba8497cedc7 24.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEve ntArgs e, Int16 layer, Boolean disposeEventArgs)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(M essage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Mes sage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4200 (NetFxQFE.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SkyDemon
Assembly Version: 0.9.13.26857
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyDemon%20Plan/SkyDemon.exe
Divelements.SandGrid
Assembly Version: 2.2.2.1
Win32 Version: 2.2.2.1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyDemon%20Plan/Divelements.SandGrid.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Divelements.Aviation
Assembly Version: 1.0.3621.26856
Win32 Version: 1.0.3621.26856
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyDemon%20Plan/Divelements.Aviation.DLL
SandDock
Assembly Version: 3.0.6.1
Win32 Version: 3.0.6.1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyDemon%20Plan/SandDock.DLL
Divelements.Mapping
Assembly Version: 1.0.3621.26856
Win32 Version: 1.0.3621.26856
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyDemon%20Plan/Divelements.Mapping.DLL
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
SandBar
Assembly Version: 1.4.2.1
Win32 Version: 1.4.2.1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Divelements%20Limited/SkyDemon%20Plan/SandBar.DLL
************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.
For example:
<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>
When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Then I just get the big red cross in the map screen and have to restart the program.

Hugh

Tim Dawson
1st Dec 2009, 09:25
Are you looking at anything in particular when you see this? I've never seen anything like this, and no-one else has reported anything similar.

Robin Driver
1st Dec 2009, 12:01
Tim.

I was plotting a route:

Caernarfon - Hawarden - Shobden - Aberporth - Caernarfon.

I plotted the route ok, but as the last leg crosses D201, I dragged it inland to one of the wind farms for a nav point. As I zoomed in using the mouse wheel to make sure it lined up with what was on my map, then I got the error.

Tim Dawson
1st Dec 2009, 12:40
Thanks. Unfortunately having tried the steps you outlined I've been unable to reproduce the error. Perhaps if you have time and you're able to, you could reproduce it and give me any more detail that might help.

Robin Driver
1st Dec 2009, 13:08
Tim.

Ok. I've had a play.

First I uninstalled and reinstalled and the problem was still there. I then realised that I didn't need a route loaded, the fault was still there regardless.

I realised that I had all the european data loaded, to plan for a trip into france, but when I installed the latest version I also installed the USA data, to plan for my holiday.

I deleted the USA data and now it's fine.

Hope this helps.

Hugh.

Tim Dawson
1st Dec 2009, 14:15
Thanks, it's great that you were able to reproduce it. I've loaded the USA data (do you remember which states you had loaded?) and tried zooming in. What do I have to be looking at when I zoom in?

Robin Driver
1st Dec 2009, 15:00
Tim.

I only had the USA general data file installed, but I was zooming in over the UK, Anywhere caused the fault.

I have reinstalled the USA general data and the fault reappears wherever you try to zoom.

It happens at the zoom level where the distance scale bar in the bottom left of the screen is on 20 and changes for the third time.

I can reproduce the fault at will by reinstalling the USA general data.

The other data files I have installed are:

BeNeLux
France
Germany
Sweden.

Hugh

yakker
1st Dec 2009, 15:04
Hi Tim,

I am using a Garmin 295 still, and this has a RS232 connection. Will this become available as well as the USB connection for route transfer?

Yakker

Tim Dawson
1st Dec 2009, 15:44
Hugh, I've sent you a PM.

Yakker, you can now select a COM port in the Preferences window. Does this not work for you?

Robin Driver
1st Dec 2009, 16:22
Tim.

Check your email.

Hugh

yakker
1st Dec 2009, 17:14
Thanks Tim, I read your guide and realized what to do. It does transfer but the route is called 'empty' in the Garmin.

I also have tried my PDA since the upgrades, and cannot transfer the route. I get 'route has been exported'. but on the PDA there is no route. Routes I have previously transferred still show.

Tim Dawson
1st Dec 2009, 17:34
I have no control over what the Garmin device decides to name the route.

When you mention your PDA, are you referring to SkyDemon InFlight? Monday's release fixed a bug concerning the name change whereby Plan could export the route to the wrong place on the device. Should be fine now, though.

Katamarino
1st Dec 2009, 19:02
£95? Wow. Guess it's back to the charts!

Tim Dawson
1st Dec 2009, 20:39
The software is still in beta; version 1 has not yet been released. This forum won't be the appropriate place for any discussion of pricing nor the commercial aspects of it when it is, though; I suspect that would be against the rules.

yakker
2nd Dec 2009, 07:55
Yes SkyDemon Inflight is on my PDA, and I did the update yesterday, and still have the route transfer problem. If I copy the route across to the PDA using Active Sync, when I open the route in InFlight, the route is listed, but does not show on the map, whereas previous saved routes load and work okay.

Re the Garmin, the route transfers no problem, just means I need to rename it, no big deal.

Tim Dawson
2nd Dec 2009, 09:12
How strange. So Plan reports that the route has been successfully exported? Have you searched the device to see if it has ended up somewhere unexpected? Plan basically searches the device for SkyDemon.exe, so if for some reason you had two installations of the software, a route could end up in the wrong one.

yakker
2nd Dec 2009, 12:30
Tim, I have removed InFlight, and any folders associated. Then reloaded the latest edition, and all is working okay. The facility to touch the aircraft and get your location is also now working, when it didn't before. Problem may have been caused by constantly updating each time a new issue came out.
But all is now well, thanks.

Tim Dawson
3rd Dec 2009, 08:39
Hello everyone,

It's with a great sense of pride that I'm able to announce that SkyDemon version 1 has been finished, and released online as of today.

I, and the other people who have worked on the product, could not have done it without the valuable feedback from the members of this forum. To my knowledge, no other aviation products of this kind have been developed with such constant feedback and suggestions from the community. It has had a tremendous impact on the product and I am immensely grateful.

I haven't come here to ask anybody to buy the product, but I have been able to arrange a special introductory discount. For the first week of its release (starting today) there is a 10% discount specifically for the early adopters who contribute to this forum.

So thank you again, and I look forward to soliciting more suggestions for the next version, whose development will start in the not-too-distant future.

Tim Dawson

www.skydemon.aero (http://www.skydemon.aero)

imtaylor
8th Jan 2010, 09:50
Does anyone know if this software can - or will - calculate RNAV vectors for an NS800 RNAV?

I've PM'd Tim but no response!

thanks.

pa28r driver
8th Jan 2010, 17:41
i am now using this absolutely brill programme for primary nav planning.
the ease which i can move the planned course line to avoid obstacles etc is excellent.
when i transfer to my 296 it goes straight in with no probs
i can attest to the on route features , saves me using a magnifying glass to check whether im under cas etc
absolutely brilliant cant praise it enough
and no i have no financial gain etc for writing this
this is a serious vfr planning tool, and if u dont believe me try a free demo download,
regards to all
pete

Baron Von Mildred
9th Jan 2010, 15:25
I am trialing this programme, but would like to really use it properly. Trouble is I'm in Africa! Can anyone offer advice on where I can find/adapt data to use with this?

Thanks
BVM

imtaylor
11th Jan 2010, 09:56
Just to keep this thread up to date, I've PM'd Tim and he's incorporated the NS800 RNAV calcs for me - thank you.

Will be downloading this week!

Saab Dastard
11th Jan 2010, 13:57
Now that Skydemon has been officially launched as a commercial product, it is no longer appropriate to use the Private Flying forum as a suggestions and feedback area.

Doubtless Tim will be setting up such a feedback and bug-reporting forum for the product on his own website, if he has not already done so.

We at PPRuNe would be delighted if he should decide to advertise this product formally here on PPRuNe. Just click the "Advertise" link at the top of any page to see the options and rates.

SD