PDA

View Full Version : Disorientated pilot near Oban!

S205-18F
1st Sep 2009, 14:38
Hi does anyone know where the lady pilot was from that got into a spot of bother between Mull and Campbelltown yesterday? She was eventually located and led to Prestwick by Rescue 177! Sounds like Scottish along with those Navy lads and anyone else involved did a great job!

funfly
1st Sep 2009, 16:50
I was helping on the radio a couple of years ago at our local airfield when a young man on his first XC called in with difficulty finding us. Eventually we helped him locate the airfield whereon the CFI who was near ( a 'Top Pilot') took the mike and told him not to bother landing - he had failed and should now go straight back to his home airfield.
Me, I was about to ask him to land and have a cup of tea to settle his nerves!
It takes all sorts, Well done to the people who helped this particular lady.

Crash one
1st Sep 2009, 19:43
I was on Bute yesterday, by ferry & 4 wheels! the wx was definately un-nice. Cloudbase less than 200ft.

flybymike
1st Sep 2009, 23:07
Eventually we helped him locate the airfield whereon the CFI who was near ( a 'Top Pilot') took the mike and told him not to bother landing - he had failed and should now go straight back to his home airfield.

What an incredibly crass thing to say to a student PPL on a cross country, who will already have been anxious and in need of support, not ridicule.

Say again s l o w l y
1st Sep 2009, 23:32
Did it bring back memories S205? ;)

Captain Stable
2nd Sep 2009, 07:55
the CFI who was near ( a 'Top Pilot') took the mike and told him not to bother landing - he had failed and should now go straight back to his home airfield.Words fail me. Someone behaving like that has no right whatsoever to be an instructor, let alone a CFI.

A student pilot, on first XC, under stress, and he gives the guy a load of grief and upsets him while he's still flying...

Not only crass, stupid, arrogant and insensitive, but also very poor CRM, and thoroughly dangerous as well.

In short, to behave like that one has to be 100% through-and-through W-anker (and stupid with it).

10W
2nd Sep 2009, 08:25
Aircraft was on a ferry flight from Reykjavik to Prestwick.

Well done to ATC and the Sea King crew who helped her to a safe landing.

Maybe nominees for the CAA Safety Award this year ?

VFE
2nd Sep 2009, 08:58
Well done to all those involved! Glad to hear there was a safe ending.

Was it an SEP? Without wishing to dissect the wherefores, does anyone know the aircraft type and/or pilot experience level? I am always keen to build a picture of the type of aircraft and pilot experience level of those who do GA Iceland - Scotland ferry flights in SEP's as it's been offered up to me in the past and I have politely declined. The only chap I met who brought an SEP over here was barking mad! lol

Thanks,

VFE.

colette
2nd Sep 2009, 10:08
From todays Daily Record,

Navy helicopter helps rescue lost pilot - The Daily Record (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2009/09/02/navy-helicopter-helps-rescue-lost-pilot-86908-21641868/)

Reporting it was a 206

muggins
2nd Sep 2009, 10:10
and another report in the Evening Times

Top Guns Save Pilot (from Evening Times) (http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/display.var.2528765.0.top_guns_save_pilot.php)

fisbangwollop
2nd Sep 2009, 10:10
American reg C206.....single female pilot ( American) Lost control in IMC around the Great Glen!!!....well done West Coast guys the usual high standard one expects from Scottish and also 809 sqn Prestwick..:ok:D:D:D

mad_jock
2nd Sep 2009, 10:25
Maybe nominees for the CAA Safety Award this year

I thought the green keeper in Dundee was up for that.?

Tell you one thing though after having had a wake vortex brown trouser moment behind a seaking (1000ft lower 4 miles behind it crossing) I sure as hell wouldn't want to follow one anywhere. I will go in front just tell me left and right thanks

Glad everything turned out well.

Is it just me or does there seem to be alot more incidents this year than years gone by. Or is it just the same as ever but more are making the papers.

fisbangwollop
2nd Sep 2009, 10:35
I know I have lost a few hours in the last few days but looking at the posting time it gives my last post as 0310.....someone please tell me its not that early...if so its off back to bed for me!! :cool:

Union Jack
2nd Sep 2009, 10:39
By the time they reached the woman she was circling around half a mile offshore from Machrihanish on the Mull of Kintyre, having refused to land at the airstrip there - Evening Times

.... but was happy to be guided into Prestwick, with its slightly shorter runway, and given that it was her intended destination.:)

Well done GANNET SAR!:ok:

Jack

PS .... "and also 809 sqn" - if only!

10W
2nd Sep 2009, 10:48
Used to be 819 Sqn Fisbang, which is where the confusion may arise. It's been HMS Gannet SAR Flight for a while now though.

Go back to bed :}

Molesworth 1
2nd Sep 2009, 10:48
Words fail me. Someone behaving like that has no right whatsoever to be an instructor, let alone a CFI.

I agree - on the other hand he would have been right and would have saved the student a landing fee plus additional flight time. Maybe he could just have been a bit more diplomatic (CFIs not known for their diplomacy generally)

Eric T Cartman
2nd Sep 2009, 10:52
In case anyone is interested, the Royal Navy SAR setup is now :
771 Naval Air Squadron Search and Rescue (SAR), based at RNAS Culdrose with
HMS Gannet SAR Flight Search and Rescue Flight based at Prestwick with 3 S61's

819 Squadron, the previous Prestwick incumbents, disbanded 31 Oct 2001

10W
2nd Sep 2009, 10:56
S61s ? :ouch: These are fine products from Westlands. WS-61s :}

Eric T Cartman
2nd Sep 2009, 10:58
@10W
Just remember D, nobody loves a smart alec ! :}:8:E

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON !

10W
2nd Sep 2009, 11:04
:ok: I'll probably still nominate the folks involved for this years GA Safety Award. Having read the reports, they did a great job, using lots of ATC and GA experience held here at the ATC centre, as well as getting assistance from commercial pilots to guage real time weather and work out where best to vector the aircraft bearing in mind the pilots state of mind and the cumulo granite in the area. I think the nomination process normally opens around this time of year so will be watching out for it.

fisbangwollop
2nd Sep 2009, 11:55
10W........OK yep u dead right...had a few bad days so brain not in gear 809sqn from my RAF ATC days Ark Royal and Honnington based Buccaneers...used to come and give us some nice flybys in the tower at Tain Range ....OK then back to bed for me!!:cool:

Phill
2nd Sep 2009, 12:01
Without wishing to dissect the wherefores, does anyone know the aircraft type and/or pilot experience level?

Apparently "limited" was the polite answer to the experience, and C206 as previously mentioned for type.

I am always keen to build a picture of the type of aircraft and pilot experience level of those who do GA Iceland - Scotland ferry flights in SEP's as it's been offered up to me in the past and I have politely declined. The only chap I met who brought an SEP over here was barking mad! lol

I have met many of these flying types, they can generally be placed into two groups (with a few exceptions).

1. Very Professional, switched on, safety orientated (as far as you can with a SEP) and experienced pilots.

2. The aforementioned Barking mad! And some of these with a combination of "it'll never happen to me" mentality or complete and utter lack of understanding of the consequences when something goes wrong.

Unfortunately there are a number of hour builders that get caught up in ferrying aircraft along the NAT route without any, or very limited, experience of flying in WX outside of VFR conditions.

Unfortunately this pilot was not the first and she won't be the last.

:ugh:

PH-UKU
2nd Sep 2009, 15:07
Apparently "limited" was the polite answer to the experience
Not true.

I would suggest that posters refrain from speculating or pre-judging on the experience or otherwise of the assisted pilot in this case, until the full facts are actually known.

Fact 1- aircraft gets caught in turbulence with loss of control
Fact 2 - one disorientated high-houred instrument rated pilot
Fact 3 - situation stabilised, ac climbed, pilot reassured and vectored over sea
Fact 4 - ac gets VMC and is shepherded round coast to Campbeltown for RV with chopper
Fact 5 - ac lands safely at Prestwick

Impossible to prejudge how anyone would feel if they had lost control in turbulence. Even if you were a multi-thousand hour IFR rated pilot, a scary moment like that needs VERY careful handling. I doubt I would want to lose sight of the horizon and go back into cloud ... or spend a night in Campbeltown :} ...

(Actually come to think of it, the last time I spent a night in Campbeltown it was very turbulent and exactly like losing sight of the horizon and going back into cloud ... :ooh:)

Anyway, pPruners weren't in the cockpit so it's not our call.

Phill
2nd Sep 2009, 15:55
I stand to be corrected.

Quote:
Apparently "limited" was the polite answer to the experience
Not true.

high-houred instrument rated pilot

Do you know the pilot?

fisbangwollop
2nd Sep 2009, 16:03
PHIL....Do you know the pilot?

I may suggest this little lady owes a nice big hug to PH-UKU...:D:D:D

englishal
2nd Sep 2009, 16:14
(CFIs not known for their diplomacy generally)
I dunno where you fly, but any CFI who acts like that is a cock. I wouldn't fly with them.

Phill
2nd Sep 2009, 16:18
I may suggest this little lady owes a nice big hug to PH-UKU

Ha ha, Now it's coming together! :ok:

My statement was not speculation, maybe not wholly formed with specifics but I was pitching in a simple answer to what, in this business, is not always a simple question.
However I've seen the high houred instrument rated pilots, quite literally, dead in the water before in this sector of the business.

mad_jock
2nd Sep 2009, 16:39
I am more interested now in the IMC event PH-UKU had in Cambelltown presumably in the wee toon bar.

Scary women over there, thats why the local blokes tamper with sheep.

fisbangwollop
2nd Sep 2009, 16:46
Mad Jock......and dont you knock the sheep...in my other day job I end up having to day stop all day in EC and it aint pleasant...taken recently to visiting the grave yard as its a real interesting place....shows what an afluent place EC was in its hey day of Distillerys and Shipping magnets!!:cool::cool:

mad_jock
2nd Sep 2009, 16:52
Jesus I have visions now of scottish info sitting with a pair of wellies and velcro gloves.

Surely there must be some EU human rights legislation which says you don't have remain there longer than say 30mins without getting ratarsed.

PH-UKU
2nd Sep 2009, 16:54
its hey day of Distillerys and Shipping magnets!!

I guess the magnets wouldn't work with wooden ships ?

Still, (scuse the pun) there's one distillery left ..... Springbank .. and a fine dram it is too ;)

From J+A Mitchell's website .... "Founded in 1828 on the site of Archibald Mitchell's illicit still..... " Hmmmmmm, must be a great-great-great relative over there somewhere .. :E

fisbangwollop
2nd Sep 2009, 17:35
PH........OK then spelling not my best side........lazeing around in shorts and catching the rays one thing I am a wee bit better at :cool: ....even on the sector or in Campbletown..!!! And OK then will look forward to sampling a dram or two of your family brew one day!!:):)

fisbangwollop
2nd Sep 2009, 17:38
Jesus I have visions now of scottish info sitting with a pair of wellies and velcro gloves.

Mad Jock.......shame it comes in the family....my Father in law was a highland shepherd so spent many happy days with my arm up a sheeps f...y trying to deliver wee lambs!!! :\:ouch::suspect::zzz::yuk::(:ok:

mad_jock
2nd Sep 2009, 17:53
The skill set of scottish Information just gets more and more impressive :p

Hugh_Jarse
2nd Sep 2009, 20:56
Ref the "CFI" who sent the stude back with a flea in his ear ... I sincerely hope the stude went back to base, landed OK, got in his car, returned to our hero's airfield, and took him round the back of the control tower and "explained" himself properly ... :ouch:

T*sser ...

flybymike
2nd Sep 2009, 23:01
The press reports an "eight seater C206". I'm going to have to sell my six seat version and find out how they managed to cram in the extra two seats.

Pace
2nd Sep 2009, 23:29
latest press reports are that infact this was our friend " Biggles" in disguise as a woman having started a sheep ferrying business. She was having problems locating a decent tree landing site :rolleyes:

At least she hit Scotland and didnt end up enroute to Norway or Ireland which is pretty good nav :D

Pace

mad_jock
2nd Sep 2009, 23:42
Actually thinking about it a bit more and pace mentioning "biggles" someone needs to have a word in that CFI's ear.

The QXC has just been dicking around finding the airfield (time unknown) Fuel planning is now out the window and then they get told not to land and to head home again. It appears to me we have a couple of cheese holes lining up.

As a matter of interest were they jamming the hell out of the GPS signal on the west coast that day.

quilmes
3rd Sep 2009, 20:47

Anorak data:

N-number : N6321W
Aircraft Serial Number : T20608823
Aircraft Manufacturer : CESSNA
Model : T206H
Engine Manufacturer : LYCOMING
Model : TIO-540-AJ1A
Aircraft Year : 2008
Owner Name : PILOT INTERNTIONAL INC
Owner Address : 1800 E 5TH ST
VALLEY CENTER, KS, 67147-4925
Type of Owner : Corporation
Registration Date : 15-Jul-2009
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard
Approved Operations : Normal

Left Prestwick 1/9/09 about 09.43am heading East.

After 'Mitchells do fly IMC', I'd say that there is
scope for a documentary about single engined ferry
flights across the North Atlantic (particularly in
Winter). Who was that German lady?
Could maybe make a nice add on to Coast.
'Oggin'?

Phill
3rd Sep 2009, 22:13
Approved Operations : Normal

Aye! for someone