PDA

View Full Version : Is a session at the BA Flight Sim at LHR worth it?

mjc123
7th Aug 2009, 10:03
I noticed that BA training facility at LHR is offering experiences in their 737flight sim for half price at the moment. Given that this would be purely for fun (never going to go commercial and only have a low hours PPL) but have the time to do this in September, has anyone done this as a PPL and, if so, did you think it worth the money?

worrab
7th Aug 2009, 10:34
£200 per hour - Flight Training at British Airways (http://www.ebaft.com/)

Genghis the Engineer
7th Aug 2009, 10:46
Most of the flying magazines at the moment are carrying an appeal for volunteers to fly the sim just north of there at Brunel University for a couple of hours as part of some flight safety research. A lot cheaper, and you might help make flying a bit safer?

G

Aerial Chauffeur
7th Aug 2009, 11:04
Depends on how many spare £200's you have.

You will enjoy it undoubtedly, but will you get as much benefit as you would from an hour of aerobatics training or an hour in a complex aeroplane?

airborne_artist
7th Aug 2009, 11:11
£200 to sit inside a fake aircraft in a big shed, or £195 to fly in a real aircraft (http://www.ultimatehigh.co.uk/fly_a_spitfire_trainer.html) outside in the fresh air?

Let me think about that....:}

julian_storey
7th Aug 2009, 11:14
Spend a little bit more and get an hour in a twin.

Don't get hooked on it though, it gets expensive :ok:

tmmorris
7th Aug 2009, 11:31
I had a ball when I flew the BA 777 sim - round NY harbour under the bridges, for a start... plus operating the instructor station so my BA friends had traffic and thunderstorms all over the place. But then I wasn't paying - I think I'd have thought twice about £600 for the 3-hour session...

I'm sure it's expensive to run; it just doesn't actually go anywhere.

Tim

Agaricus bisporus
7th Aug 2009, 11:43
£195 to fly a CHIPMUNK for 35 minutes???????
Bloody hell!

What a stupendous ripoff!

S-Works
7th Aug 2009, 11:56
Not really. You have to look at the whole Ultimate High package that is bundles into those 35 minutes as a package. Having being the recipient of an Ultimate High day I can assure you it would be worth the money and I have access to a chippy for £80 an hour at home.

Don't be so quick to assume something is a ripoff.

I am nothing to do with UH, just a very satisfied past customer.

mjc123
7th Aug 2009, 12:18
Points taken everyone - maybe a first aeros sortie would be a better way to spend the cash and improve my flying.
Genghis - thanks for the pointer - sounds of interest. Do you have any more specific reference? Cannot find it in the couple of recent mags have just checked but may just be being dense...

Genghis the Engineer
7th Aug 2009, 13:35
Points taken everyone - maybe a first aeros sortie would be a better way to spend the cash and improve my flying.
Genghis - thanks for the pointer - sounds of interest. Do you have any more specific reference? Cannot find it in the couple of recent mags have just checked but may just be being dense...

Sorry, out of the country and away from my reading pile at the moment - although definitely in the copy of Microlight Flying that I received at the start of July. If you haven't tracked it down by the middle of next week, PM me and by then I'll have details to hand.

G

b.a. Baracus
7th Aug 2009, 15:51
Or........Fly the dual control P51 Mustang, Stallion 51 offers orientation flights, checkout training, flight training, pilot training, air shows, aircraft management (http://www.stallion51.com)

That would be awesome...... sadly, one can only dream. :(

worrab
7th Aug 2009, 15:55
...or you could push the boat out:
Su-27 "Flanker" Flight Plan and Prices (http://www.flymig.com/packages/Su-27.flight.htm)

FairWeatherFlyer
10th Aug 2009, 23:09
I've had a go in two sims including BA's 777 and really enjoyed them. The instructors/pilots can adapt the sessions for any skill level.

I think the best format is a longer session with a few friends so you both get to observe and fly.

There's also a big difference in the graphical capabilities of the different models of sims - the older ones don't have good visuals because it's not that important for their main purpose and that can be a bit of a surprise if you are used to PS3.

dany4kin
11th Aug 2009, 01:01
I have never done a full motion sim trip so cannot compare but have a little look at these guys.

Virtual Flight Centre (http://www.virtualflight.co.uk/home)

Located not too far from Gatwick. To sum up;

Old 737-200 of Ryanair's completely stripped out and turned into an NG model.

Visuals are pretty good, using flight sim scenery rather than the somewhat 'basic' visuals you can find in some of the full motion stuff. However, the flight model is not the standard Flight Sim stuff so it's more realistic.

Fixed base but believe me I got 'the leans' on a climbing turn out of LGW as we entered cloud. Motion is not the most important thing.

You fly with a real pilot, my guy was a Monarch 757-300 FO and we enjoyed a 'Monarch minimums' approach into Innsbruck, a trip from East Midlands to LGW, a circuit at LGW via London (I work at LGW so nice to see it from the air once in a while) and a few Greek Island (short runway approaches and a stormy approach to Hong Kong's Kai Tak at night.

Perhaps have a go at BA while it's half price but give these guys a try when the price goes back up!

stickandrudderman
11th Aug 2009, 05:17
I've done a couple of hours on the A320 sim at Heathrow and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Circuits at Heathrow with an engine fire and max dem xwind were especially good fun!
I was there with a friend who is a BA skipper so didn't pay anything like the amount you're talking though.......
You're only young once!

Oh, and by the way, I'd rather pay £195 to UH for 35 mins than pay the BA flying club at Booker £180 for an hour. The contrast in quality of instruction could not be greater.