:(Anyone got any info?

Apparently crashed into a house shortly after Takeoff

Bbow
30th Jun 2009, 13:09
Barton, as in Barton north of Luton?

Professorrah
30th Jun 2009, 13:14
Airfield is here

Manchester Barton Airfield (http://ukga.com/airfield/manchester-barton)

halwise
30th Jun 2009, 13:19
Completely unconfirmed but this is R&N,

Colleague at work has just had a call from his Girl friend
who lives on the estate. 2 Occupants in light plane.
edit
Not as serious as related to me but here's the details:-
as per MEN
Manchester Evening News (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/)
NFN

reverserunlocked
30th Jun 2009, 13:32
Surely this worthy of R&N if true? Missing a bus, hitting a building - pretty major story to be buried in Private Flying?

cats_five
30th Jun 2009, 14:02
What an astonishing photo. :ooh: :eek:

The plane fits so neatly between the garden wall and the house wall. It's not made the BBC News website yet, so far as I can tell.

worrab
30th Jun 2009, 14:54
BBC:

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Manchester | Light aircraft crashes in garden (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8127078.stm)

IO540
30th Jun 2009, 15:26
From the BBC story:

Two men have avoided serious injury

Jesus these journos are sooo sharp. They should all get jobs in the AAIB; we would get great accident analyses same day. Really clever how they also did an autopsy on the occupants and arrived at that brilliant conclusion.

I am so pleased that things have moved on from the usual "could have crashed near a convent".

Full marks for journalism I would say.....

flyingtincan
30th Jun 2009, 15:48
"could have crashed near a convent".
According to the paper it didn't crash it " plummeted"

worrab
30th Jun 2009, 16:06
Think it was a minor RTA...

Police were called to Brookhouse Avenue to a report a small plane had collided with a garden wall. :eek:

Squealing Pig
30th Jun 2009, 16:16
Barton management insists on no turns below 500ft after take-off, fine on all runways except 09. Professional mangment would say turn ASAP on that runway as there really is noware to go but the managment at Barton have never been professional more interested in having a power trip rather than thinking about a power failure.

airborne_artist
30th Jun 2009, 16:22
Looking at the pics on the MEN - amazing. PIC should enter a few spot landing comps, I think :ok:

bartonflyer
30th Jun 2009, 16:29
Comment on the BBC report:

"Robin Tudor from the airfield, also known as City Airport Manchester, said: "Moments after the aircraft took off from the airfield, we had a mayday call from the pilot to say he had engine failure. "We expected the plane to head back to the airfield but it came down several hundreds yards away in a garden."

Not too sure who Robin Tudor is, but a turn back to the airfield from the height they must have been at to end up in Brookhouse Estate would have been suicidal - loooks to me like they did an extremely good job in finding a space to put it in!

tyler_durden
30th Jun 2009, 17:31
squealing pig - if aircraft turn below 500 feet on 09 they will go straight through the helicopter circuit :hmm:

gpn01
30th Jun 2009, 21:29
Comment on the BBC report:

"Robin Tudor from the airfield, also known as City Airport Manchester, said: "Moments after the aircraft took off from the airfield, we had a mayday call from the pilot to say he had engine failure. "We expected the plane to head back to the airfield but it came down several hundreds yards away in a garden."

Not too sure who Robin Tudor is, but a turn back to the airfield from the height they must have been at to end up in Brookhouse Estate would have been suicidal - loooks to me like they did an extremely good job in finding a space to put it in!

Would that be the same Robin Tudor who's PR Director of Peel Holdings, who now own Barton by any chance?

Not convinced that they 'found' the space....looks more like the space found them!

Squealing Pig
1st Jul 2009, 00:16
tyler_durden - Why does a helicopter need to fly a circuit any how?

MartinCh
1st Jul 2009, 02:55
S Pig,
are you joking? The choppers just 'materialise' at the H spot/apron?
When they depart, they just disappear in puff of smoke, right?

bartonflyer
1st Jul 2009, 08:12
If Robin Tudor is the PR director then perhaps someone ought to explain to him the dangers of a low level turn back to the airfield with no engine on the now aborted climb out!

Is PR short for "PRattish Comments" ?

Dogwatch
1st Jul 2009, 10:12
I was one of the emergency responders to this incident yesterday.
Suffice to say that both persons onboard were lucky to say the least.

I often see these small aircraft taking off and landing at Barton and on many occasions wonder if things could go wrong, yesterday was one of a few such incidents there.

englishal
1st Jul 2009, 11:05
A testament to these new gen microlights...Had it been a C152 they'd probably both be dead....

If my engine failed I'd turn straight through the helo circuit unless it was obvious that I was going to hit one.

renrut
1st Jul 2009, 11:41
Microlight?

A and C
1st Jul 2009, 11:59
Would you like to expand on that statement?

I know that GRP construction has come long way but in the video the cockpit area looked very disrupted and I have insufficient data to say one way or the other if a Cessna 152 would have been a "better" aircraft to crash in or may be the statistics say that the Cessna would not have been less likely to have the engine failure in the first place because the numbers say it is more reliable?

I don't know the answers, do you? or do you know some one who can enlighten us?

englishal
1st Jul 2009, 12:46
No I don't....

But I believe that GRP aircraft are better designed for survivability - though maybe not better to repair. Look at a C152 and there is nothing in the way of crumple zones or impact absorbing areas, just thin sheets of aluminium, whereas GRP tends to be a stronger stucture, and breaks absorbing much of the impact (hence F1 cars can hit the wall at 180 MPH and the drivers walk away). Looks pretty wrecked to me which means that much of the shock has been absorbed by the structure. You could well be right about the engine though...

Yes Microlight, GINFO the tail number and it'll tell you all you need to know ;)

Rod1
1st Jul 2009, 20:03
The gent involved is out of hospital and posting on Flyer.

Rod1

JackRalston
1st Jul 2009, 22:43
Talking to pilot on MSN at the moment. He is incredibly lucky, got a black eye, stitches in his knee, sore arm and forehead. Him and his passenger are incredibly lucky. His passenger suffered a broken foot, but apart from that he's ok.

Lightning6
1st Jul 2009, 22:51
Thank goodness for that, nice to here some good news for once, too much bad news this year.

I wish you both a speedy recovery and get back in the air ASAP.

AJWTCX
1st Jul 2009, 23:50
Removed for now.

Lightning6
2nd Jul 2009, 00:04
Well done, you did a good job of saving two lives...Keep us posted as to the cause of the engine failure. Good report after such an experience.

fernytickles
2nd Jul 2009, 01:14
You did a fantastic job. And thank you for sharing your experience with all of us. Everytime someone decides to share as you have done, we all learn a little more.