PDA

View Full Version : A320: Approach Checklist

kuwait340
17th Apr 2009, 15:35
Hello,

i would like to know when do you ask for the approach checklist.

some airlines do it at TOD and others at 10.000ft and also some of them at the trans.level .

all inputs are appreciated.

Zippy Monster
17th Apr 2009, 15:54
My airline does it after making the "secure the cabin" call to the cabin crew.

Kestrel_Stu
17th Apr 2009, 15:58
Our company does it on setting QNH (i.e. cleared to an altitude), however we are ditching the approach checklist completely from the Airbus fleet shortly. :D

bfisk
17th Apr 2009, 16:25
When setting QNH...

kuwait340
17th Apr 2009, 16:59
Thanks guys

Cardinal
17th Apr 2009, 18:02
Transition Altitude.

Airbus_a321
17th Apr 2009, 19:36
in my company there is NO approach checklist

HHI OPS
17th Apr 2009, 21:48
@Cardinal: Why not when passing the TL?

kuwait340
17th Apr 2009, 21:52
Airbus_a321

if the approach checklist is canceled, what is the alternative for it ?

bobrun
18th Apr 2009, 03:37
where I fly, we do a checklist prior to TOD, and a landing checklist at 5000ft.

guiones
18th Apr 2009, 04:08
Bobrun:

How do you verify the QNH on the APP C/L at TOD and the ecam memo at 5000' on the LDG C/L?

Just curious.

G

PantLoad
18th Apr 2009, 06:13
First, read carefully your company's SOP. This is what you must go by.

Airbus has a very nice publication on how to run a normal checklist. This
will give you background as to why your company does what it does.

"FLIGHT OPERATIONS BRIEFING NOTES" ..... "NORMAL CHECKLISTS"

A few examples:

1. The normal checklist is NOT a read-n'-do checklist. Thus, it should not
be initiated until all items on that checklist have been accomplished. Normally, there should be no "Hold the checklist at.......(whatever)".
If there is a normal break in flow of a checklist, most companies do an
"Above the Line" and a "Below the Line" protocol.

2. The normal checklist should be run without interruption. Good task management provides for time for both accomplishing the items on the checklist AND for running the checklist.

IF a checklist has to be interrupted, one should state, "Hold the Checklist at.......(whatever)". When the checklist can be continued, "Resume the Checklist (or "Continue the Checklist"....whatever your company specifies) at ..........". In some cases, it may be prudent to start the whole checklist over again....from the beginning. Airbus recommends, at the very least, to back up one item on the checklist when being interrupted and having to hold the checklist.

3. The crewmember reading the checklist and commanding the response should verify that the response coming from the other pilot is correct. In other words, the pilot reading the checklist needs to get his nose out of the checklist to see that the responding pilot's response is correct. VERIFY!

4. The commands and responses need to be EXACTLY as printed. If you cannot do so because of an unusual situation, this should be noted in the response.

5. If an interruption is 'not so important'....continue the checklist until
completed, then attend to the interruption.

6. Normal checkists must not be accomplished from memory. Both the reading pilot AND the responding pilot should have the checklist in front of them....referring to it....challenge AND response.

A proper normal checklist is not so detailed that the pilots get bogged down in minutia, but detailed enough to cover the important items (the "Killer Items"). (This applies to briefings, as well!)

Fly safe,

PantLoad

Airbus_a321
18th Apr 2009, 09:47
kuwait340

there is no alternative. My company operates the Airbus acc the "Silent Cockpit"
(-God Thanks- this makes flying relaxed, easy and more safe imho.)

We also do not have an after-takeoff/climb checklist.
No Take-off checklist
no landing checklist.
At the last two points we have only the "take-off check" and "landing check" which is that the pilots say loud after having checked and confirmed on the ECAM page that its shown
TAKE OFF - ALL (items) GREEN and LANDING - ALL (items) GREEN

TO MEMO
18th Apr 2009, 12:36
also when setting QNH!

Speedwinner
8th Aug 2023, 16:19
Question: How do you call out the autobrake setting in the checklist. You say Medium or „med“? And engine mode selector ?“Norm“ oder „normal“?

AerocatS2A
8th Aug 2023, 21:57
Question: How do you call out the autobrake setting in the checklist. You say Medium or „med“? And engine mode selector ?“Norm“ oder „normal“?
No one cares where I work. There's no rhyme or reason to what items are per the abbreviation vs the full word. I've heard people read "A/THRUST" as "ay thrust" and "auto thrust". Most people would say "Medium" for the brakes and "Normal" for the engine mode selector but no one would bat an eye if the abbreviation were said instead.

sonicbum
9th Aug 2023, 04:58

Ref. FCTM PR-NP-CL APPROACH

”NORM”
”LOW” or “MED”

with that being said, I believe nobody in his right mind would debrief you on replying “medium” or “norm-al”

Speedwinner
9th Aug 2023, 05:04
Thanks, I hear 90% „NORM“ which is very very annoying

AerocatS2A
9th Aug 2023, 07:42
Ref. FCTM PR-NP-CL APPROACH

”NORM”
”LOW” or “MED”

with that being said, I believe nobody in his right mind would debrief you on replying “medium” or “norm-al”
What does it say for “ignition”? Is it IGN or ignition? Ours says IGN but no one is saying “iggin” or “eye gee en”.

sonicbum
9th Aug 2023, 09:54
What does it say for “ignition”? Is it IGN or ignition? Ours says IGN but no one is saying “iggin” or “eye gee en”.
It’s actually Ignition 😄

hikoushi
9th Aug 2023, 23:20
Next time someone debriefs you for calling “Autopilot 1” instead of “A-P-ONE” when reading the FMA “AP1”, read out the FMA “A/THR” as “AY-THURR”. Will put a stop to that kind of “checker” behavior very quickly. If you can’t have it both ways, you have to have it one way or the other!!