PDA

View Full Version : FAA 61.75 'English Proficiency'

cessnapete
12th Feb 2009, 09:49
Fo infomation of 61.75 'piggyback' licence holders.
I have been trying for some to comply with FAA ruling regarding the requirement to have my FAA CPL/IR re-issued for the English Proficiency statement by 9/3/2009.
Although informed by New York FAA office that a this could be carried out by a US DPE based in UK, the Oklahoma Foreign Licence Validation dept do not appear to accept this.
I am visiting USA for business reasons in the near future , and as soon as I requested re-issue through a personal visit to USA office I promptly received my papework from Oklahoma .
It does appear that FAA are sticking to the personal visit ruling for UK licence holders.
Unless AOPA etc. can get some sort of alleviation,from FAA ,there will be a few invalid 61.75 licences after 9/3.
No criticisim of FAA intended ,as could not see our CAA allowing such an arrangment at all.

S-Works
12th Feb 2009, 14:48
Er!, if you have a CPL then it is not based on and you can sign in and pay your 2$ on line and they will send out a new certificate. No visit to a DPE or FSDO required.

julian_storey
12th Feb 2009, 15:35
BOSE X is absolutely right. There has been much confusion over this.

If you have a standalone FAA licence (any licence PPL, CPL, ATP - doesn't matter) you can log onto the FAA website, pay $2 with your credit card and a new plastic licence will appear in the post shortly thereafter bearing the necessary 'English Proficiency' statement.

If however you have a 61.75 FAA licence (ie. one given to you on the basis of a foreign licence as opposed to one you got having passed an FAA written exam and an FAA flight test) then it is more complex.

You can either:

1) Do what I think Bose X did with his, go to the States and present yourself at a FSDO (having first made an appointment and ALSO had your UK JAA licence verified by the CAA) whereupon they will issue you with a replacement licence FOR FREE or

2) Track down the FAA DPE who operates in Europe and he / she can (apparently) issue you with a new licence. I added apparently because there appears to be some confusion as to whether he / she can. If they can, then they will be allowed to charge for the licence issue.

I saw a return flight from London to Vegas advertised on the web for just £260 a few days ago. Rather than spend money on petrol driving to find this DPE, then paying for him to issue a new licence, why not spend a little more and combine sorting your licence out with a long weekend in the Las Vegas sunshine :-)

cessnapete
12th Feb 2009, 16:58
I have a 'based on' FAA CPL/IR. I was refused the on line 2$ renewal by FAA.
So off to USA on hols will renew during visit.

S-Works
12th Feb 2009, 17:43
I have a 'based on' FAA CPL/IR. I was refused the on line 2$ renewal by FAA.
So off to USA on hols will renew during visit.\

You may hold a JAA CPL/IR and have used that as your basis for an FAA 61.75 private certificate. I find nothing in the FARAIM that says that the FAA issue a CPL/IR based on a foreign certificate. Perhaps you can enlighten us further.

julian_storey
12th Feb 2009, 22:38
The FAA actually WILL technically issue a foreign based Commercial Certificate, if you base your 61.75 on a foreign CPL. A friend of mine has one, HOWEVER it will show the following limitation:

"NOT VALID FOR THE CARRIAGE OF PERSONS OR PROPERTY FOR COMPENSATION OR HIRE OR FOR AGRICULTURAL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS."

Which I guess makes it pretty much useless for almost anything 'commercial' except possibly ferrying.

Keygrip
13th Feb 2009, 01:50
Bose - I, too, *used* to have an FAA CPL issued on the basis of, but as Julian said, it was stamped "Restricted" and was (effectively) only valid for private flights.

Have a real ATP now - with "English Proficient" written on it. Cost me $2. I'll put it on my tax form.

cessnapete
13th Feb 2009, 07:34
Bose-X ,I have a JAA ATPL. My FAA CPL/IR is as described by Julian Storey. I only use it for private operations

S-Works
13th Feb 2009, 08:05
"NOT VALID FOR THE CARRIAGE OF PERSONS OR PROPERTY FOR COMPENSATION OR HIRE OR FOR AGRICULTURAL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS."

Not much of a CPL......

julian_storey
13th Feb 2009, 08:52
Not much of a CPL......

No it's not.

I guess if you had a UK CPL and wanted to be paid to ferry 'N' reg aircraft from the US, it would be ok for that though.

Keygrip
13th Feb 2009, 11:38
As a slight, but topical, aside - I have a Transport Canada ATPL "issued on the basis of UK ATPL......" - which is limited to Cessna 172, DA20 and PA44 Seminole and only when training or testing students from a particular flight school.

It wasn't until my third issue (they are valid for 12 months from date of issue) that I got them to change the wording slightly in order to allow *ME* to fly the aircraft.

The way the original was written, if the student had a cardiac arrest and died at the controls, I couldn't fly the aircraft back to base.

Now that "was not much of an <atpl>". Lol.