PDA

View Full Version : N-reg in Canada?

LimaRomeo
6th Jan 2009, 18:34
Hi guys,
I am wondering if there are American registered airplanes (N-reg) in Canada. Preferabely in the New Brunswick (NB) area. Would there be a market for an N-reg single engine aircraft in - say - Fredericton?

I ask this because I am thinkibng of moving to NB and I fall outside the medical standards of Canada but want to fly with my FAA PPL in Canada.

Thanks!

J.O.
6th Jan 2009, 22:27
I doubt that there would be any US registered aircraft in Canada that one could "rent", because any rental operation must have a Canadian commercial operator's certificate, and for that your aircraft must be C-registered (except under very specific temporary conditions such as a short term lease). If one were to base a privately operated US registered aircraft in Canada, I don't think there would be any issues, so long as it wasn't used to generate revenue.

Chuck Ellsworth
7th Jan 2009, 01:20
There is no need for an Aircraft Operating Certificate to rent an airplane in Canada.

LimaRomeo
7th Jan 2009, 20:04
So if I put the airplane on the American register (N) and rent it to pilots with an American License, I still need a canadian commercial ticket of some kind??

BeechNut
8th Jan 2009, 01:23
The other option is that while you may fall outside the medical standards for a Class 3 medical (PPL) you may qualify for a Class 4; that allows you to be PPL on gliders, ultralight (incl. advanced ultralights) and more importantly, for a Recreational Pilot Permit. That allows you to fly a single up to 180 hp, fixed gear, no more than 4 seats but only with 1 passenger. No night flying and you can't cross into the US. But otherwise you can do pretty much what a PPL can do.

LimaRomeo
9th Jan 2009, 14:15
Now that's an interesting option! Thanks for that information.

BeechNut
9th Jan 2009, 22:02
You're welcome. The other thing about a Class 4, is that any physician can do the medical, it doesn't have to be a Transport Canada certified medical examiner. Your family doctor simply has to fill out a form that is sent to TC. And the medical interval is, I believe, 5 years.

Check out Canadian Aviation Regulations - Part IV, Standard 424, Table, PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENT (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regserv/Affairs/cars/Part4/Standards/t42402.htm) for the applicable standards for the medical classes.

Beech

flaps78
17th Jan 2009, 11:07
Hello Lima Romeo,
Before you proceed any further you might wish to look into the tax issues involved in operating a foreign registered aircraft in Canada. I am not up to date on the current rules. The last time I was involved in operating a foreign registered aircraft in Canada you were only allowed 90 days agregate (total days) after which time you had to pay the GST. As a foreign operator you could not claim the GST back. As a Canadian you could claim the GST back. I suggest that you get some professional aviation tax law advice on this one.

Regards,

Flaps

RatherBeFlying
21st Jan 2009, 00:39
Once you move into Canada, you become a Canadian resident and are required to register your a/c in Canada if you have it in Canada more than 90 days/year.

Customs can seize your a/c and do nasty things to your wallet if they take it into their minds that there is an issue.

But as a US citizen, you could set up a Delaware corporation and transfer your a/c to it -- and rent it.

Do check with Canadian aviation lawyer. Taking out a COPA membership will get you some good advice for a cheap price. I would first get that advice; they can also recommend lawyers -- then see lawyer. COPA can also advise you on your medical issue.

Where in NB do you plan to be? If you're close to the border, keep the a/c in Maine.

Oh yes, if there's any 337's on your a/c, Transport Canada will probably require you to take them out before granting a Canadian airworthiness:uhoh:

I had to back out of the purchase of a US glider because of a bulkhead repair that was not documented to Transport Canada standards, even though it was done 15 years ago by a very reputable shop:mad: