PDA

View Full Version : David Clark Headest, which one?

Airbusboy
1st Jan 2009, 11:40
Hi every one, I am currently doing my PPL (20 hours), I've saved some money for a headset finally and as there are sales I thought it would be the best time to get hold of a pair.

I've been looking at DC H20-10 (£221) and DC H10-60 (£234), could some one recommend which headset I should go for?

jxc
1st Jan 2009, 11:52
Hi

You really to try them both and see what you like the most it is very personal when it comes to headsets

Be prepared to lots different suggestions :E

Eliteaircare
1st Jan 2009, 13:47
I wouldn't advise the H10-60, I have a set and the detachable plug extends down from the ear cup around 2 inches, just long enough so it catches your shoulder whenever you have a good look around. However, they do give good signal to noise ratio and are comfortable for the longer flights.

H10-13.4 seem the common entry level headset. But as the previous post states, if you have access to a decent pilot shop, try them first.

flyingman-of-kent
1st Jan 2009, 14:24
The 10-13.4 is pretty well the defacto standard headset for PPls, and for good reason. It is sturdy, good noise insulation properties, will last for ever and you can get spares for it easily should you ever need to. It is certainly worth not getting anything less than this classic headset. I have never had compatability issues with this headset in any palne, whereas some of the schools headsets that I used to borrow for passengers often had problems.

Mike Parsons
1st Jan 2009, 18:52
Although David Clarkes seem to be 'the standard' name for headsets in GA, I wanted to try a different set. I went for Sennheiser HME100's which are great. I went for these over the DC's due to knowing about Sennheiser's reputation with HiFi Headphones and Earphones.

They are comfy and keep all unwanted noise out, no where near as good as my friends Bose-X headset though - but they are around £700 per set, which is why.

You get what you pay for with any line of headset.

Zulu Alpha
1st Jan 2009, 19:10
Try ebay. DC's come up regularly and under half price.

In my experience DCs are very robust so you shouldn't have any problems with a second hand set that looks as if it has been looked after.

ZA

Shunter
1st Jan 2009, 19:10
I would not buy David Clarks. I've had 2 sets in the past. They were bought as a student, because "everybody else has them, they must be good". Wrong, wrong and wrong again. Having then tried (and subsequently bought) a Bose-X set I would never touch Clarks again with a bargepole.

DX Wombat
1st Jan 2009, 22:13
DO NOT restrict yourself to trying DCs. Like quite a few others here I do not like them at all. I find them to be heavy, cumbersome, constantly slipping off my head and with poor external noise insulation. I am fortunate enough to have a Peltor headset on permanent loan with which I am very happy but should I eventually buy my own set I shall be looking at anything EXCEPT DCs. Go and look at several different makes and TRY them, don't just buy a set because "Everyone has them." There have been several threads recently on the subject of headsets, I would suggest you have a look through them at the various thoughts and comments.

jxc
2nd Jan 2009, 09:15
one thing i would say is get a set of gel ear pads

Cheers

Zulu Alpha
2nd Jan 2009, 10:06
one thing i would say get with most of the headsets is gel ear pads

I agree. All my DCs have had these and if you add cotton covers they are very comfortable (and washable). I agree that DCs are perhaps slightly heavier than other makes, but they are very strong and well made. Mine are 20 yrs old and still look and work like new.

I also agree that Bose headsets are better but are 3-4x the price.

The overall best though are clarity aloft (http://www.clarityaloft.com/), which fit in your ears. Better noise reduction than Bose and lighter than anything else.

ZA

jez d
2nd Jan 2009, 10:50
Although David Clarkes seem to be 'the standard' name for headsets in GA, I wanted to try a different set. I went for Sennheiser HME100's which are great. I went for these over the DC's due to knowing about Sennheiser's reputation with HiFi Headphones and Earphones.

They are comfy and keep all unwanted noise out, no where near as good as my friends Bose-X headset though - but they are around £700 per set, which is why.

You get what you pay for with any line of headset.

Wot Mike says, only if you're happy to spend a little more there is a special edition version of the HME100, the HME110, with better ear seals and headband and it comes with a 10-year warranty rather than the 5-year warranty you get with the HME100 and with DCs. It's a little over £200.

jez

Staggering
2nd Jan 2009, 12:26
Another vote for the Sennheiser HME100. Had mine 5 years and found them reliable, robust and have excellent audio.
They are light weight and easy to adjust, reversible(handy to have the wire down the other side occasionally) and fold into the headband so they don't take up so much space in your bag.
On the down side they don't have gel seals so don't work so well with glasses that have thick sidebars.

jxc
2nd Jan 2009, 13:27
i have a pair of clarity aloft and agree they are very good no weight on the head in the ear makes hearing the radio so much clearer and easier
I also have a pair of the Sennheiser hme110 and are also very good now the misses uses them

Cheers

172driver
2nd Jan 2009, 13:40
I've always wondered about the Clarity Aloft, but in the end bought Bose-X. How do wear glasses with the Clarities - doesn't the arm get in the way?

jxc
2nd Jan 2009, 13:46
I find it ver comfortable wearing sunglasses with my clarity headset it is only a thin piece of wire thats around the top and back of ear then the glasses just sit on top

I like the idea of the new Tbone head set with no microphone !

dublinpilot
2nd Jan 2009, 14:31
I have the DC20-10 but they are the XL version, which has ANR (Active noise reduction). They are very comfortable, and don't clamp your head like some of the other DC models. I have them 6-7 years now, and not a single fault, and they look the same as they did the day I got them.

Only complaint is that the clamping force is quite light, and if you turn you look down and then back up very quickly, it's possible that they move on your head.

I wouldn't buy anything without ANR/ENC (Electronic Noise Cancelling) if you're planning on flying for many years to come.

172driver
2nd Jan 2009, 15:17
I like the idea of the new Tbone head set with no microphone !

Sounds great indeed ! Could finally mumble to ATC while munching my sandwich ;)

However - just checked their website and they seem to have all sort of testimonials from airline guys - but then the order page says We are awaiting the authorization of the organization and therefore we cannot deliver the headsets yet

:confused::confused:

jez d
2nd Jan 2009, 15:48
On the down side they don't have gel seals so don't work so well with glasses that have thick sidebars.

Gel ear seals are available for the HME100, they just don't come as standard.

Squawk 2650
2nd Jan 2009, 16:06
I use the DC H10-13X I find the ANR really good. The first headset I had was the Peltor 8006. This was really good, very confortable and light weight. I decided to get an ANR headset just for that extra bit of protection and find it is worth the extra money.

Hope this helps, good luck with the PPL.

S
:cool:

Pace
2nd Jan 2009, 16:36
I have used DCs for a large portion of my flying and can now say I categorically hate them.

You can wear a Bose all day with comfort use a DC and in no time they clamp the side of your head and cut off the blood supply :) and are totally uncomfortable.

For a full headset I would rather look on E bay for a second hand Bose than buy a DC new.

The sound cancelling with Bose is great the Bose adding to a relaxed sense of wellbeing.

In jets we do not use full headsets but usually the telex variety. Bose are even comfortable compared to those and appear to be standard use more and more in corporate jets too.
Spoil yourself and buy a Bose it should be with you for a long time.

Pace

Cusco
2nd Jan 2009, 16:48
I binned my DC13.4 cotton covers when they got so manky they no longer washed clean.

I was amazed how much more efficient the headset is without the 'sound leakage' that the covers must have caused via my specs.

Even better now I've had 'em ANRd.

Cusco

Charlie133
5th Jan 2009, 19:48
I use the Sennheiser HME 95 brilliant value for money at around £160, excellent quality and easy to carry around in small compact case.

In the sale at Sennheiser HME 95 Passive Headset with Included Case @ Flightstore Pilot Supplies (http://www.flightstore.co.uk/prod/HME95/DEPT-HEAD/HAPASS/) if you havent already purchased.