PDA

View Full Version : SEP Renewal After 24 months.

wrathchild666
27th Oct 2008, 14:32
Would I be correct in saying that in order to renew my SEP rating, 2 years after obtaining my PPL initially I'd need to do the following?:

1. In the 3 months prior to the expiry of my SEP rating, take a proficiency check with an examiner who will then sign me off as competent, this is then valid for a further 24 months.

OR

2. In the second year after gaining my license/SEP rating, ensure I have completed 12 hours including 6 P1, 12 take-offs and landings. 1 hour (all at once, not cumulative) with an instructor. I would then qualify for a revalidation signature, again valid for 24 months.

As I've already fulfilled the requirements for the second method, all I really need is an examiners signature, after he's obviously cross-checked my log with the hours I've flown with my club?

:ok:

nick14
27th Oct 2008, 15:05
As long as you are inside the 24 month period sounds like all you need is a signature from the examiner.

nick

SkyCamMK
27th Oct 2008, 17:16
The FI has signed the flight off in your log book to show its validity for the purpose I trust?

Some examiners charge for signatures - have you not got a friendly CFI?

Coffin Corner
27th Oct 2008, 18:19
To revalidate by experience you need

12hrs in the previous 12 months including 12 take offs & landings & 6hrs PIC.
1hr dual with an instructor (not examiner).

Once done you need to get your license signed by a suitable instructor and send the form to the CAA.

So many people over complicate this, it really is that simple.

Whopity
27th Oct 2008, 18:32
Once done you need to get your license signed by a suitable instructor and send the form to the CAA.

And a Suitable Instructor is called an EXAMINER
So many people over complicate this, it really is that simple.

Instructors are not authorised to sign licences! Maybe its different on Mars!

Airbus Girl
27th Oct 2008, 19:25
Does the 1 hour flight with an instructor HAVE to be in one go? Or can you do 2 x 1/2 hours with same instructor?

coodem
27th Oct 2008, 19:31
Its got to be in 1 hit Im afraid. If you did an IMC, that could count as well

Whopity
27th Oct 2008, 20:26
But if you have a NPPL then the 1 hour for SSEA can be split into 60 - 1 minute flights!

wrathchild666
29th Oct 2008, 14:00
I'm inclined to agree with Coffin Corner (must be a metal fan lol) overall, but with Whopity's advice on it having to be an examiner who produces the signature for my license/CAA form. I actually have to do 61/2 hours between now and January 16th (latest), and unfortunately the two flights I did in the summer with an instructor for differences training on the C172 were just shy of an hour, so I'll have to do a full hour with an instructor
(in one go), plus the remaining hours solo.

Cheers folks.

r44flyer
30th Oct 2008, 09:22
Coffin Corner is correct, and Whopity is correct in adding that an examiner must sign your logbook.

I've heard of some examiners requiring a flight with them before they will sign you off, but there is no requirement for this.

BEagle
30th Oct 2008, 13:34
Coffin Corner is correct, and Whopity is correct in adding that an examiner must sign your logbook.

No, the FI who conducts the 1 hour training flight signes the logbook entry for that flight, the Examiner signs the Ratings-Certificate of Revalidation page in the licence.

The only time an Examiner would sign a log book would be if the revalidation was achieved by LPC.

Remember also that you cannot renew by experience, only by LST with an Examiner who would also sign the log book entry.

Lister Noble
30th Oct 2008, 15:28
I had all the relevant hours etc,had a one hour flight with the CFI who is also an examiner.
He signed my log book,did the relevant paperwork and sent it off to the CAA.
No charge apart from the flight,which I did in a club craft.
Lister:)

johnriketes
30th Oct 2008, 18:03
Sorry for the thread drift

Well I will be retiring from commercial flying soon and I am threatening to get back into a SE A/C soon after that, all being well in the UK. I cant quiet remember when I flew a SE, or light A/C for that matter last, without reference to my logbook but must be about 20 years ago.

What would I have to do to fly a SE privately again? I know I will require heaps of dual re training, (a frightening prospect and experience for all concerned!) I understand I don't even have the privileges of a ppl now. What do I need to do for a re issue of a PPL? Skills test, etc.? I am UK licensed.

Thanks.

Keygrip
30th Oct 2008, 18:53
Coffin - I would go and hide if I were you.

What qualification do you think the guy at your club marks exam papers with?

You know the saying "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" (or words to that effect).

It appears that is what you may have - "a little knowledge".

julian_storey
30th Oct 2008, 19:04
What would I have to do to fly a SE privately again? I know I will require heaps of dual re training, (a frightening prospect and experience for all concerned!) I understand I don't even have the privileges of a ppl now. What do I need to do for a re issue of a PPL? Skills test, etc.? I am UK licensed.

John,

You still have a UK licence, so I'm guessing that you just need to renew your Single Engine Piston (Land) class rating.

I'd imagine that this would involve training sufficient to pass a SEP (Land) skills test.

There are people on here better qualified than me to advise, so someone will undoubtedly correct me if I'm wrong :-)

Julian

Coffin Corner
30th Oct 2008, 19:21
Keygrip - bothered, his post was uncalled for.

I stated they must have their paper signed by a "suitable" instructor, if an examiner isn't an instructor then how did he/she get into that position in the first place?
And as your so full of knowledge that us mere mortals could only dream of perhaps you could enlighten me as to how this particular chap signs licenses off? In my "limited" knowledge an examiner in the flying fraternity is someone who conducts tests, i.e flight tests, GSTs etc etc, now if there is such thing as a "ground examiner" or the like then perhaps you would care to share it so that us less fortunate people with less gray matter than yourself can understand?

Cheers

r44flyer
30th Oct 2008, 19:48
No, the FI who conducts the 1 hour training flight signes the logbook entry for that flight, the Examiner signs the Ratings-Certificate of Revalidation page in the licence.

Yes, that's what I meant. The point I was getting at was that there's no need to do a flight with an instructor and then another flight with an examiner before he will gladly give you a scribble. I have heard of examiners refusing to put their name to it if they haven't flown with you personally, despite the fact that the CAA don't require that they do.

julian_storey
30th Oct 2008, 20:09
I have heard of examiners refusing to put their name to it if they haven't flown with you personally, despite the fact that the CAA don't require that they do.

Then find another examiner who will!! :)

If you are renewing your SEP (Land) class rating on the basis of experience, the examiners job is simply to look at your log book and verify that you have done enough flying in the last 12 months (including the hour with an instructor) to meet the requirements.

Keygrip
30th Oct 2008, 22:29
Coffin - one word of notice.

Unless you quit with the attitude - you *WILL* be having a few days off to reflect and maybe do some research.

Without the first hand knowledge of "emotion" you have no idea whether the message from Whopity was "an outburst" or "emphasis".

What we do know, first hand, is that YOU ARE WRONG! So cut the attitude.

madlandrover
1st Nov 2008, 18:22
So where does this so called other examiner fit in to this?

Probably by putting his licence number in the following format when marking exams or signing SEP revalidations: UK/GR000000X/A - the GR stands for GRound examiner. Quiet word of advice: you're not being jumped on for being wrong. You're being jumped on for propagating something that's wrong and then not having the grace to accept correction by suitably qualified people. We all make mistakes, especially in flying. It's a big learning process!

jgs43
2nd Nov 2008, 15:22
You could also add an "R" examiner to the list. These examiners are solely empowered to sign of the ratings on a PPL/NPPL if the revalidation has been done by experience.

Then you also have FIE's - Flying Instructor Examiners

Would really have to go read "the book" to recall if there are any others

timzsta
2nd Nov 2008, 20:17
IRE and TRE spring to mind.

Coffin Corner
3rd Nov 2008, 08:05
Sorry madlandrover but grace is a 2 way thing, there are ways of saying things and the way I was told is not the way to say it hence my reaction.
You don't have to dictate to me about making mistakes, I'm a good exponent of it ;)

Yours is the first post to put it in any kind of legible context, I now know there's such thing as a "GR" so thanks for that, :ok:

use man pitch trim
18th Nov 2008, 21:43
When the PPL wishes to revalidate by experience the licence and CAA form will be signed by an examiner but not necessarily a SEP examiner.

The CAA will allow anyone with some form of examiner approval to do this e.g. airline TRE, flying club r/t examiner etc.

In the case of a revalidation, no flight test is required, the guy signing is merely checking the log book etc.

The requirement for a flight with an instructor is waived if the individual has undertaken a flight test of some form during the required period even on a different class or group of aircraft e.g. airline pilots flying SEP will usually undertake sim checks which absolve them from the instructor flight.

ffranko
19th Feb 2009, 15:01
Hello to all !

Can you help me with following?

I hold an FAA and ICAO CPL Licence with Instruments and Multi that is NOT valid for 10 years.

After deciding to RENEW it, I passed all the ATPL theory exams and now I am about to start the flying part.

I would like to understand, what, according to the JAR´s (JAR FCL 1…etc ), will I have to complete ( how many flight hours etc…) in order to get my CPL valid again, with MULTI and IFR.

Is renewing my SINGLE ENGINE CLASS enough ? What does that involve ?

for the TWIN part, I know I will have to complete a light MULTI ENGINE course (theory and flight), and I that I might integrate the IFR hours in my MULTI flight time.

But for having my CPL valid again, what else ??

Thanks !

Good flights.

julian_storey
19th Feb 2009, 15:40
I'm not absolutely sure that I understand your question?

If you have an FAA CPL & IR the conversion to JAA frozen ATPL is relatively straightforward.

You need to get a JAA Class 1 medical, pass the ATPL written exams (which it sounds as though you have) then for the CPL it's training as required and a skills test. Then for the IR conversion it's 15 hours plus a test.

Have I answered the right question? :)

Keygrip
19th Feb 2009, 15:58
ffranko - I appreciate that it's often difficult to express *exactly* what you mean when writing - but you've confused us (certainly me - and it would appear, Julian).

I hold an FAA and ICAO CPL

An FAA *is* an ICAO CPL, so can you tell us what, exactly, you have in terms of licences, experience and recency - then what, exactly, are you trying to achieve?

What contries are your licences from, how many hours flying what, how long ago, where did you do those recent exams?

If you don't want to say all this publicly, feel free to PM (then we'll switch to e-mail).

ffranko
19th Feb 2009, 18:36
Thanks! And I do agree with both of you!

It is even confusing to me….Expressing yourself in a different language is not an easy task! :ugh:

Here I go again:

I got my CPL with MULTI and IR in the USA (FAA) in the 90`s and converted it later to a Portuguese ICAO licence.

That ICAO licence got expired about 10 years ago.

After deciding to RENEW my expired qualifications, I started with the THEORY PART by sitting and pass all ATPL Theory tests.

Now, what about the flying part according to JAR’s ?

For instance, will I need a cross-country navigation flight to RENEW my SINGLE ENGINE CLASS? What will I need to fly to sit for a skill test ?

Hope it is clearer now. :ok:

Thanks.

ffranko
19th Feb 2009, 18:38
Thanks! And I do agree with both of you!

It is even confusing to me….Expressing yourself in a different language is not an easy task! :ugh:

Here I go again:

I got my CPL with MULTI and IR in the USA (FAA) in the 90`s and converted it later to a Portuguese ICAO licence.

That ICAO licence got expired about 10 years ago.

After deciding to RENEW my expired qualifications, I started with the THEORY PART by sitting and pass all ATPL Theory tests.

Now, what about the flying part according to JAR’s ?

For instance, will I need a cross-country navigation flight to RENEW my SINGLE ENGINE CLASS? What will I need to fly to sit for a skill test ?

Hope it is clearer now. http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Thanks.
http://static.pprune.org/images/statusicon/user_online.gif http://static.pprune.org/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.pprune.org/report.php?p=4732035) http://static.pprune.org/images/misc/progress.gif http://static.pprune.org/images/buttons/edit.gif (http://www.pprune.org/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=4732035) http://static.pprune.org/images/buttons/reply_small.gif (http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4732035&noquote=1)
ffrankoView Public Profile (http://www.pprune.org/members/180451-ffranko)Send a private message to ffranko (http://www.pprune.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=180451)Find More Posts by ffranko (http://www.pprune.org/search.php?do=finduser&u=180451)Add ffranko to Your Buddy List (http://www.pprune.org/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=buddy&u=180451)

http://static.pprune.org/images/buttons/reply.gif (http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=4732035)

julian_storey
19th Feb 2009, 19:06
I know nothing about Portuguese licensing, so we'll wait for someone to come along who does :O

Keygrip
19th Feb 2009, 20:21
Just passing - whilst thinking - but there may not *be* any Portugese licences anymore - they may be all JAA ones (albeit issued by the Portugese authorities).

Safest bet is to WRITE (or e-mail [which is also writing?]) to the Portugese authorities and ask THEM what they would want to see for renewals of any, or all, ratings and licences.

Get it in writing - NO telephone calls. :=

I could help with UK licences, I could help with JAA licences - but this is different. You need the *official* word.

=^..^=

<edit: typo>

Whopity
19th Feb 2009, 20:30
The fist question is did you get a Portuguese IR as well as the CPL? If you did then its quite easy, by taking the JAA theoretical exams all you will need to do is to pass the JAA CPL and IR Skill tests to get the licence reissued. Ideally as you held a Portuguese National licence it would be best to do it Portugal to save any complications.

If you did not hold a Portuguese IR then it will require more training to get the IR. You should really check the requirements in the country where you have taken the ATPL exams.

ffranko
20th Feb 2009, 10:50
Thanks !

In 1996 we were not JAA yet.

You are right, all licences for JAA country remembers are now regulated by JAA. Finally a lot “mess” had to end…But it looks like there is still “some around”…:*

Yes I do have a cancelled IFR licence , as well as not valid CLASS and LIGHT MULTI.

All my ATPL theory exams are done.

I already did contact our authority and according to an INTERNAL CIRCULAR, after having a licence cancelled by more than 07 years ALL I need to do get current again is is regulated by:

JAR FCL 1.245 (f) 1,
JAR FCL 1.245 (f) 2 ,
JAR FCL1.240 & 1.295
APPENDIX 3 to JAR FCL 1.240
JAR FCL 1.261
JAR FCL 1.262

My “doubt/question” here has raised because an FTO is asking me to fly a VFR cross country navigation to get my MULTI ENGINE licence and IFR valid again…expecting that VFR navigation for my final exam as well. :=

It is strange for the SINGLE ENGINE renewal and even more strange for the MULTI RENEWAL…

According to our Authority and APPENDIX 3 to JAR FCL 1.240JAR 3 & 4, having completed SECTION 3B, which I did, I am NOT REQUIRED to complete SECTION 3A…

Any help ??

Regards,

ffranko
20th Feb 2009, 10:53
Thanks !

In 1996 we were not JAA yet.

You are right, all licences for JAA country remembers are now regulated by JAA. Finally a lot “mess” had to end…But it looks like there is still “some around”…http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/bah.gif

Yes I do have a cancelled IFR licence , as well as not valid CLASS and LIGHT MULTI.

All my ATPL theory exams are done.

I already did contact our authority and according to an INTERNAL CIRCULAR, after having a licence cancelled by more than 07 years ALL I need to do get current again is is regulated by:

JAR FCL 1.245 (f) 1,
JAR FCL 1.245 (f) 2 ,
JAR FCL1.240 & 1.295
APPENDIX 3 to JAR FCL 1.240
JAR FCL 1.261
JAR FCL 1.262

My “doubt/question” here has raised because an FTO is asking me to fly a VFR cross country navigation to get my MULTI ENGINE licence and IFR valid again…expecting that VFR navigation for my final exam as well. :=

It is strange for the SINGLE ENGINE renewal and even more strange for the MULTI RENEWAL…

According to our Authority and APPENDIX 3 to JAR FCL 1.240JAR 3 & 4, having completed SECTION 3B, which I did, I am NOT REQUIRED to complete SECTION 3A…

Any help ??

Regards,

Keygrip
20th Feb 2009, 12:28
ffranko - you have your answers, no?

The list of the JAA requirements is what the Portugese authorities want - what more can we say?

I *will* say that, according to the UK authorities, if renewing/revalidating an MEP for VFR only then the cross country must be completed, though it's only a 15 minute cruise anyway. If doing the MEP for IFR then the cross country is not required - exactly as you say, 3B compliance cancels 3A.

However, I flew VFR with a guy for SEP and IFR, the same day, for MEP. The relevant authorities - Swiss or Austrian (I forget which offhand) - rejected his MEP application, stating that he had not completed the VFR cross country.

I argued the 3B cancels 3A point, but the authorities were adamnant that he must do a cross country - despite their own paperwork very clearly saying that 3B cancels 3A.

It took a SERIOUS amount of arguing over many e-mails to get them to agree.

They finally accepted that 3B cancels 3A, their own paperwork said so, but mainly based on the fact that the candidate had done a VFR route earlier in the day in SEP and had done VFR work the day before in an MEP during refresher training with an FAA flight instructor.

True, the flight school maybe trying to get an extra hour out of you - but if you haven't flown for so long then you probably could do with it anyway.

The only answers that are relevant to you are those from the Portugese authorities, not from some well wishing contributor on PPRuNe who thinks that *they* are the fountain of all knowledge.

ffranko
20th Feb 2009, 12:49
Thanks for your comments !

Regards

Cloud Chaser
20th Feb 2009, 15:12
Not wanting to start another argument, but... I thought that a GR examiner was only authorised to mark theory papers.
Surely a class rating has to be signed by a FE or at the very least a CRE????

*Ducks for cover*

jgs43
20th Feb 2009, 15:57
"Not wanting to start another argument, but... I thought that a GR examiner was only authorised to mark theory papers.
Surely a class rating has to be signed by a FE or at the very least a CRE????"

Not if revalidating "by experience".
Even a lowly "R" examiner can sign in that case.

If revalidating by proficiency check, however, then it would need an FE

RaffC
6th Mar 2009, 19:52
Hi

I have a UK JAR PPL. I fulfill the revalidation by flying experience requirements however, I am not in the UK and will not get hold of a UK FE to validate my logbook etc on time.

Can I get any JAR-FCL FE from any JAR member state (Swiss) to sign the Certificate of Revalidation page or, does it have to be a UK JAR-FCL FE?

(Only asking as sum bloke :O told me it must be a UK JAR-FCL FE)

Thanks in advance

Keygrip
6th Mar 2009, 19:56
Any JAA will do for UK authorities - but not neccessarily the other way round.

flybymike
7th Mar 2009, 17:32
Just one point worth mentioning is that thanks to a stupid CAA drafting cock up, the examiner signature has to be obtained within the 3 months prior to expiry of the rating regardless of when the instructor flight took place and regardless of how soon within the second 12months the necessary hours, take offs, and landings were accumulated.

This ridiculous requirement can have the effect of leading one to postpone the instructor flight until late in the second year when such issues as weather, availablity , inclination, finance, etc may become an issue, leading to expiry of the rating and the need for full retest etc. It can also mean having to go through the third degree from some examiner who does not necessarily recognise an instructor sign off obtained earlier in the year from someone he has never heard of, as being valid.

There is no reason at all why this situation cannot be corrected and both signatures obtained as soon as the necessary second year flying requirements have been met. All it takes if for the CAA to recognise and admit the cock up and put things back the way they used to be.

BEagle
7th Mar 2009, 18:08
......thanks to a stupid CAA drafting cock up......

Very true. I pointed this out to them some years ago, but they were rather more interested in maintaining their perceived position as the 'competent authority' than they were in sorting out their silly cock up....:rolleyes:

As a result, many people have probably suffered because the Authority is too proud to admit that it ballsed this thing up...:ugh:

RaffC
7th Mar 2009, 20:22
Thank you for that clarification. :ok:

Cloud Chaser
8th Mar 2009, 12:34
To keep the same validity dates it must be signed within the three months prior to expiry.
However, it can be signed before the three month prior to expiry but in that case your two years then starts from the date it was signed. Useful if you are going out of the country etc. but otherwise better to wait.

Also can't see any reason why this rule would make you delay your one hour flight with the instructor, the examiner just checks it was any time in the last year of validity, no reason to wait to the end of that year.

Both these rules can be found in LASORS, available free off the CAA website.
Don't trust everything you read here (including from me), check for yourself!

Captain Stravaigin
11th Jan 2010, 03:37
I have been asked to do an SEP revalidation one hour flight with a PPL and wondered if I literally just sign his log book (adding my licence number) - or whether I need to add any kind of endorsement and if so what wording is used. I see there are specific sticky labels for Differences training - but nothing is mentioned in Lasors about re-validation. I know in the US there is a specific BFR endorsement - is there anything similar that I need to use or should be aware of ?

I am an FI(R) and this will be the first bi-annual flight I have conducted.

I understand that I write nothing on the licence and that that has to go to an examiner subsequently.

mad_jock
11th Jan 2010, 04:21
I just write in the remarks of the log book.

SEP 1 hour with instructor sign and lic number.

Some people put SATIS in but I got told by an old hand examiner not to put any comments about the quality of flight as it then means you are signing them off as competent. Your job is just to sit next to them for an hour to comply with the regulations not to test them on thier flying skills.

Its an old well run debate on PPrune what you are actually meant to do on these flights. If the person is competent they can very enjoyable, if the person for a better word is ****e you get into a grey area of rule interpretation which there are various opinions on. It is actually very rare you do get into "discussions" with the pilot if they are requiring additional training. The couple that I have had that did require a wee bit more, finished the discussion before it started by booking additional lessons before coming through for the debrief. But if they hadn't and refused my suggestion of futher training I would have signed thier log book as they had complied with the requirements of 1 hour dual.

homeguard
11th Jan 2010, 08:00
Quote: 'Your job is just to sit next to them for an hour to comply with the regulations not to test them on thier flying skills'.

The above is confused;

The 1 hour flight is a 'training ' flight. Sitting there and doing nothing is not an option.

The Flight Instructor signing the log book is the means to ensure that in the future the revalidating examiner can know that the flight was valid and met the requirement. i.e. should the PPL refuse to cooperate with the training then the instructor may decline to sign the logbook and should not in my view.

A lot of the problems that pilots such as the originator of this thread complains is caused by the CAA themselves. It is a ridiculus rule that a pilot who has met all the requirements cannot revalidate 1 second after the stroke of midnight without now having to be flight tested.

The revalidation process - paperwork scribbles- should be able to be undertaken anytime after the expiry date should the pilot have met all the revalidation requirements before expiry. They would not of course be able to fly until the signature is acquired.

The current system cannot make any claim to have a safety benefit!

flybymike
11th Jan 2010, 10:48
It has been shown by the CAA that the BFR, 90 day rules, annual MEP test, and the sea of unnecessary over regulation introduced by JAA and EASA has no safety benefit whatsoever. All it has done is add more expense and hassle and deter people from entering GA and increase the 75% or so who do not renew their licences on expiry (Renewable licences-another unnecessary tax introduced by the boys who invented it for their own benefit.)

jgs43
11th Jan 2010, 10:59
At the risk of restarting the debate, below is the wording for the instructor sign off as recommended by the CAA when the biennial training flight requirement was first initiated.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I certify that I have satisfactorily completed

with .

Licence No. .

The one hour instructional flight required by
JAR-FCL 1.245(c) (1) (ii) (B) for the revalidation
of a single-pilot, single-engine, class rating.

CRI;FI;etc. John Smith .
Date .

Signed .

PPL No. UK/PP*******/A

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note the wording on the first line. i.e. the use of the word "satisfactorily".

I.E The flight is not a test but must be completed to the satisfaction of the Instructor.

:hmm:

flybymike
11th Jan 2010, 11:04
A literal interpretation of that wording would imply that the instructor was satisfied with his own performance and not that of the candidiate. Typical poor CAA drafting.

mad_jock
11th Jan 2010, 14:19
It is an option if you define a goal and the person completes said goal with ease.

Its a stupid system and examiners like yourself should be doing these "flights" with the power to pull peoples tickets.

And what about us dodgy pro's who never have to sit with a SEP instructor because our multicrew LPC is counted as the hour.

S-Works
11th Jan 2010, 14:30
And what about us dodgy pro's who never have to sit with a SEP instructor because our multicrew LPC is counted as the hour.

Quite an interesting observation, I have never actually been on the receiving end of an SEP hour with an Instructor!

Cows getting bigger
11th Jan 2010, 15:17
Yes, the ridicule of the SEP instructor who has to fly with an SEP instructor to revalidate his SEP rating?

"Hi, my name is John I have 1200hrs SEP P1 in the last 2 years"

"Hi John, I'm Fred and I only have 300hrs total time. However I recently passed my FI course. You want me to sign you off?"

mad_jock
11th Jan 2010, 15:42
"well John I can see you have done this quite a bit, but the way we were taught at oxford is that..........."

"Right Fred sign the logbook and if you get blood on it you will be copying the whole thing out into a new one. And I suggest you don't talk pish to the PFA lads because they are all famers and use thier teeth to castrate the piglets"

Jumbo Driver
11th Jan 2010, 20:21
Quote: 'Your job is just to sit next to them for an hour to comply with the regulations not to test them on thier flying skills'
The above is confused;
The 1 hour flight is a 'training ' flight. Sitting there and doing nothing is not an option. ...

Sorry, homeguard, but while this may seem a nonsense to you, this is absolutely not correct - there is no formal syllabus for the "training flight" and this has been debated at considerable length in these threads.

I don't mean to open this can of worms again ... but there is no requirement for either training or assessment on the "training flight"; furthermore, it is not a test, so there can be no pass/fail assessment. The only requirement under JAR-FCL 1.245(c) is to fly for an hour with an instructor.

JD
:)

mad_jock
12th Jan 2010, 01:34
At 300 hours Fred barely knows how to fly themsleves.

They are not even remotely qualified to make a judgement about if johns habits are bad, good or standard. An FIE is in the position to to do this which is why john really doesn't give a :mad: what fred thinks. And even if they are bad habits there is absolutely nothing Fred can do to stop John from flying or Instructing.

The mostly likely event which will occur flying with john is that Fred will do all the learning and John will have an empty pocket for a tick in the box.

Captain Stravaigin
12th Jan 2010, 02:26
Many thx for the feedback so far - very, very useful. :ok:

Any more thoughts as to writing the adjective "Satisfactory" ? Is this wording a requirement or purely optional ? And does that have any implications for me in terms of potential risk ?

homeguard
12th Jan 2010, 07:01
The word 'satisfactory' should not be related to the pilots performance during the flight.

You are simply stating that the particular requirement has been 'satisfied' for the purposes of a later revalidation of the rating. i.e. the flight did actually take place and that it was a duration of at least one hour. The CAA recommended content for the flight was withdrawn some years ago.

The licence signing Examiner needs to know that the flight has satisfied that particular element of the requirements for a paperwork renewal, that is all.

S-Works
12th Jan 2010, 11:06
There is a current proposal buried in one of the NPA's for pilots to have to do a flight test to revalidate. I can't recall the timescales off the top off my head, but it might be every alternate revalidation or maybe every 5 years.

flybymike
12th Jan 2010, 11:41
The proposal is for a flight test every 3rd biennial ( ie every 6 years)

Yet another straw on the back of the collapsing camel of GA.

Captain Stravaigin
17th Jan 2010, 00:21
I have been trawling thru Lasors to see what a PPL has to do if their SEP rating has lapsed by a few months - but cannot find a relevant section. Does this mean that s/he just loses the run-on from the previous expiry date - or are there re-test implications ? (I am assuming that all the other conditions in terms of Hours, T/Offs-Landings etc. have been met).

I am sure this must be a fairly common situation.

S-Works
17th Jan 2010, 08:08
They have to do an LPC. Previous flying is irrelevant as the rating has expired.

On completion of the LPC the new Class Rating will run for 24 months from the date of test.