PDA

View Full Version : Improved fuel economy

Permanent Standby
21st Oct 2008, 00:54
I flew with an experienced colleague who insisted on putting on the wing anti ice after acceleration alt 1500' (737). His theory being that the increased warmth on the leading edge transgresses over the wing chord to improve the laminar flow......any thoughts? Or just Bo****ks?

A Comfy Chair
21st Oct 2008, 01:21
I'm sure Boeing wouldn't like it! Whats wrong with following the flight manual? Its primarily used as a De-Icer only.

Has your colleague considered the decrease in engine efficiency (and increased fuel usage) due to the higher use of bleed air?

PA38-Pilot
22nd Oct 2008, 02:27
I flew with an experienced colleague who insisted on putting on the wing anti ice after acceleration alt 1500' (737). His theory being that the increased warmth on the leading edge transgresses over the wing chord to improve the laminar flow......any thoughts? Or just Bo****ks?

He's right... it helps keep the green gremlins on the wings that make an airplane fly warm. You don't want them to catch a cold... do you?:}

As Comfy said... follow what is written. Don't try to reinvent aerodynamics.

Mad (Flt) Scientist
22nd Oct 2008, 03:25
Even aircraft DESIGNED for blowing on the wing for lift purposes didn't gain anything in cruise from having it on.

And what does he think all the escaping duct air is doing to the laminar flow when it mixes with the BL?

oceancrosser
22nd Oct 2008, 05:14
It always makes me glad to find out there are weirdos in other companies as well...

divinehover
22nd Oct 2008, 07:34
Thank God for SOP's. Can you imagine the crap we would be doing if we left it up to the 'little professors'

ACMS
22nd Oct 2008, 15:25
I agree with all the above.

What does he do when the TAT is above +10c ? Which is most of the time down low.

The word D:mad: H:mad: was invented just for guys like him.