PDA

View Full Version : What turns you on?

Pace
25th Sep 2008, 12:22
Looking at the airline section there is a thread on a young lad sitting in the captains seat and the captain loosing his job because of that. Many older airline pilots do not envy the modern flight invironment and talk with passion of the way things used to be especailly prior to 9/11. The world has taken a dive since then and mostly in a bad way with the result that we have lost a lot of our freedoms and hence colour in life which existed before.

But reading some of their postings made me think about a flight I had in the latest Cirrus with a full glass cockpit. It was an amazing piece of kit but the impression I got was that I was strapped in front of a flight simulator screen and totally detached from reality or true flight.

I fly Business jets and do a very limited amount of ferries. One was Florida to South Africa in a very nice Citation S2 which had its own challenges of African airspace.

The other was a ferry from India to the UK in an ancient Citation 2 with no RVSM, poor navigation equiptment and in an aircraft which had so many problems you didnt need simulator training you got it for real.

But by the end of the flight I became so attached to that aircraft. Not only because of the challenge but also because it had loads of character and a personality of its own. Man and machine together each understanding each other. The problems involved work arounds but the aircraft and the areas we flew over made the flight stick in my mind. Even landing in the middle of Saudi Arabia in a sand storm and blistering heat and a 90 degre 40 kt crosswind .

In the twins I have flown I loved the Beech 55 for its character and quirks as well as its delicious handling and the sense that you were in the cockpit of some twin warbird.

What aircraft that you fly or have flown turns you on and why? Do you love the glass cockpits of today? What trips have you done which will stick solidly in your mind forever because a lot of our flying trips we forget ever happened ?

Pace

Rod1
25th Sep 2008, 12:34
Mine would have to be my first flight in my own home built MCR01. Not only was it the culmination of 1800 hours of work over 3 years, but it worked, the performance/ handling/ visibility were superb and it was just so much fun to fly after the heavy, unresponsive spam cans I had owned before.:ok:

Rod1

englishal
25th Sep 2008, 12:34
I love the G1000 - and modern spaceship types, such as the DA42 which would be perfect if it could cruise at 200 kts. I also love fast aeroplanes, and ones with Turbines - ever seen the blue haze coming out of a turboprops exhaust at night....

But I also love my old Rallye 160HP version with a flashy paint scheme. It is nice to know that you don't even have to calculate take off runs or landing distances with most UK airfields ;)

Pace
25th Sep 2008, 12:59
>Not only was it the culmination of 1800 hours of work over 3 years, but it worked, <

They say the more you put in the more you get out and nothing worth having comes easy but you must have staying power to build your own I would nt have the patience :)

Pace
25th Sep 2008, 13:01
Englishal

I believe they origainally quoted over 200 kts with that one! any special flights which stand in your mind ?

Pace

Fuji Abound
25th Sep 2008, 13:56
What aircraft that you fly or have flown turns you on and why? Do you love the glass cockpits of today?

I luv glass cockpits.

I luv them because I can switch the autopilot on and enjoy the scenery and I can hand fly it just as readily. I cant see the glass makes a lot of different, same thing, same buttons, pretty colours.

It has to be a Sia Marchetti - beautiful handling, beautiful looks, what more can you ask for. I am sure there are much better aircraft, I have just not been lucky enought to try them.

Chuck Ellsworth
25th Sep 2008, 15:10
Over the years I got to fly a few different types of aircraft and it is difficult to choose any one airplane.

But this one is a fun machine and makes a lot of noise as well.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/ChuckEllsworth/aaf4e977.jpg

JohnGV
25th Sep 2008, 17:25
I'd have to say, most memorable would have to be..... um the type i learnt in. haha...... its the only one i have flown! (c152) haha oh and i have 4 hrs in a 172! well mayb oneday i can hope to be as A/c cultured as you guys! :)

My fav flight.... again... my solo x-country to camble river (vancouver island)! haha

Johngv

JohnGV
25th Sep 2008, 17:36
Chuck,

That aircraft looks wicked! bet it was a lot of fun! I flew into nanaimo the other day and looked for the huskie... but im afraid my a/c ident knowledge is very hazy! can you see it from the aerodrome or is it hangered up?

Weathers no-go out here at the moment hey?!

Take care

Barnaby the Bear
25th Sep 2008, 18:45
I like Boobs!!!!!!.... http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/boobies5.gif

Sorry wrong forum! :}

Chuck Ellsworth
25th Sep 2008, 19:30
JohnGV, the Husky is in a hangar.

JohnGV
25th Sep 2008, 19:33
Oh ok Chuck,

was hopin to see it. do you ever fly into vic?

Chuck Ellsworth
25th Sep 2008, 20:33
Very seldom, in fact it has been many years since I have flown in Candada period.

Our trip to Oshkosh was the first time I had flown in Canadian airspace in many years.

JohnGV
25th Sep 2008, 20:41
Oh really. so you dont fly too much anymore? Where have you done most of your flying - state side?

Chuck Ellsworth
25th Sep 2008, 22:31
I spent the last ten years of my career flying anywhere but Canada.

Actually I didn't have much choice due to some problems I had with several of Transport Canada's top management, it is difficult to make a living when one gets on their list of people they decide they have to get rid of.

I retired from commercial aviation in Sept. of 2005 because I had had enough of flying for a living and want to see how ordinary human beings live.

Here is what I am doing now.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e353/ChuckEllsworth/DSC00240.jpg

Took that picture a couple of weeks ago, five knots is more fun than five hundred watching way points crawl down the screen waiting for the destination to show up. :E

Everyone should have a game plan, mine was to retire when I turned 70 regardless of how well I was doing by that point in time...when I retired I was going real well.:ok:

And most important I didn't leave it until I got so old that I started to slow down mentally and physically like so many pilots do.

JohnGV
25th Sep 2008, 22:44
Haha,

Well you sound like you certainly got enough aviation in anyway! so your at sea level these days! pictures great!

Is it really like that with Transport Canada?? oh dear, perhaps ill think of takin my commercial elsewhere then!:bored:

Im originally from the UK but fled because of the economy and how expensive aviation is!

Take care Chuck:)

Johngv

Chuck Ellsworth
25th Sep 2008, 23:42
Is it really like that with Transport Canada?? oh dear, perhaps ill think of takin my commercial elsewhere then!

Transport Canada is a bureaucracy, like all bureaucracy's as they expand they become more powerful and less accountable.

Having flown in so many countries I lose track and having held licenses or authorizations to fly their aircraft in several different countries ( Canada, USA, CASA, South Africa and JAR ) I can from experience truthfully say that under the present management TCCA is just marginally better than some African countries as far as their moral compass goes at the top.

At least in Africa they have some excuse for being corrupt, however in a country such as Canada that is supposed to be a democracy it is rather chilling to find out just how it is run at the top.

It would be highly unlikely you would ever be personally affected at the level of contact you will have with TCCA.

Pilot DAR
26th Sep 2008, 01:02
What turns me on (while flying an aircraft) is the feeling the moment the aircraft gently touches the surface during landing. My best examples have been Wheels on the beach at the ocean, skids in the snow on a mountain top overlooking Vancouver, and the keel just kissing a perfectly glassy lake. Wheels on the bare ice of a frozen lake are also great. If the ice is very smooth, and you touch gently, you can be down and not even know it!

Pilot DAR

Chuck Ellsworth
26th Sep 2008, 01:38
Then there is the thrill of hover taxiing a helicopter on floats and suddenly losing sight of your reference point due to the rotor down wash putting up a curtain of spray. :E

javelin
26th Sep 2008, 07:34
Bugger !

Just been on the Island on layover from YVR and didn't remember that Chuck was over there....................:(

Best moment...........

Starting the motor on the Beaver - Cooper Air, Victoria, 2000, came over for 2 weeks on a house swap, stayed in Cordova Bay, went to Sproat Lake, skydived at Victoria, Visited the Boing factory in Seattle.

No - starting the Beaver was by far and away THE best moment so far in 13,500 hours, sorry !

Well, apart from seeing the Martin Mars on the step coming towards us on Sproat Lake - that needed a trouser sort out I can say !

Gadge from Saanich Fire House flew with me up to Port Alberni - Phil somebody - anyone remember him ?

Hey, Ho, I depart YVR tomorrow for MAN in our A330.......... doesn't smell and make nice noises.

Fab layover though - met with old friends from SSV/AC, went to the Island, drank nice beer :ok:

englishal
26th Sep 2008, 18:31
any special flights which stand in your mind ?
King Air 200, piece of cardboad in the panel where the wx radar used to be, and flying in IMC with embedded Cb's around....

Made the beer taste extra special that night, that is for sure!

rauxaman
26th Sep 2008, 19:22
Photos: Douglas C-54A Skymaster (DC-4) Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Invicta-Airways/Douglas-C-54A-Skymaster/1284133/M/)

Say no more... does it for me every time :cool:

Pilot DAR
27th Sep 2008, 02:36
piece of cardboad in the panel where the wx radar used to be, and flying in IMC with embedded Cb's around....

No problem! Some black pen quadrents drawn on the cardboard, and it's clear flying ahead!

effortless
27th Sep 2008, 10:02
I will never get over the exitement of the engine catching and winding up. It doen't matter what it is or where. That feeling of wonder never leaves me. Then turning on to the active, winding her up and letting her go. There is nothing more wonderful. sigh

Bravo Mike
27th Sep 2008, 14:48
That shudder you get (sometimes) through the airframe as you pass through your wake after a loop or a 360 degree turn.

BackPacker
27th Sep 2008, 15:22
Flying along a serious traffic jam at 500 feet and 100 knots or more.

vanHorck
27th Sep 2008, 15:39
Breaking through the clouds on a drizzly day....

It feels like... power, freedom, beauty and freedom again!

effortless
27th Sep 2008, 17:54
Yeah aand those too, ok it is flying that urns us on innit? I am sitting here dribbling tears of nostalgia all over me keyboard. I even loved the bollockings when I was a stude.

scooter boy
27th Sep 2008, 18:58
Walking 20m from my back door to my hangar.
Pulling out the robinson and flying by helicopter from my garden hangar to the airport.
Park helicopter, 2 min walk across the tarmac, pull out fixed wing and off within 15mins on an IFR flight plan to somewhere at least 3 countries away, at least 15C hotter and at least 3 en-route charts distant - now that's a proper journey!

Best flying moments -

First solo in C150 at Van Nuys CA 1994.

First night VFR over LA 1994 - very pretty at night.

First solo ILS in hard IFR 2000. Seeing the approach lights is a great feeling. Having got there without an instructor sitting next to you, what a kick.

First go-around in hard IFR - now that can be disorientating!

Seeing blue - popping out through the far side of a frontal system after crossing it and riding out the bumps and ice (fortunately infrequently but I get a palpable sense of relief every time).

Every time I cross the Alps - usually RIPUS to ODINA at FL150/160. First time I did it was at night in light rain (I didn't get a chance to check out the scenery) with an ILS to land at Milano Linate, after the clean Swiss air the burning smell of all the pollution in the Po valley almost convinced me I had an engine fire!

Climbing out through the tops of an 8000ft thick icy foggy overcast on my way back from Milan to Plymouth following the SID from Linate. The met people told me it would be no more than 1000ft thick!

The best feeling has to be: every time I fill up my long range tanks in Jersey and give 2 fingers to our chancellor Alistair Darling, now that is up there with the best of them.

SB