PDA

View Full Version : Smoking up front

Reluctant737
25th Sep 2008, 01:17
Hi people,

Very simply, we all know it's against the law to smoke on the flight deck, but honestly, how many of you break this particular rule every now and again? I must be honest - one of our longest routes is EMA - TFS and on more than one occasion I've been given the opportunity to light up if I've so desired. After politely declining, said skipper(s) will then spark up themselves. As a smoker myself, I have no moral objection to my colleague smoking in the cockpit - if anything, I'd argue that if he (like myself) is addicted to the drug then it may in fact be safer for him to do so than not on a run of 3-4 hours or so, meaning 8-9 on the aircraft. In saying that, I appreciate that it is not fair on the following (non-smoking?) crew members to have to breathe in whatever remains of our habit, but I've noticed the conscious effort made to get the business done on the outbound leg to give lots of time for all to disperse.
I'm relatively new to the airline, so I shall not be joining in any time soon, but I'm curious as to what others' opinions are.
Smokers and non-smokers' views greatly appreciated.

A.

Intruder
25th Sep 2008, 03:29
Nope. Nada. Don't do it.

c100driver
25th Sep 2008, 04:41
I have never seen it done since is was outlawed for our outfit in 1992. We have had one or two smokers (PinC) that have used nicotine patches on long flights until they get to the airport smoking area.

Smoking on board the aircraft (part 135,125 and 121) in any area is illegal in our airspace, so you would be subject to the law of the land and then sacked, and possible loss of licence for not a "fit and proper person to hold an aviation document"

So the risk for a quick dorrie could be very harsh here, so why do it?

BelArgUSA
25th Sep 2008, 05:22
The war goes on, and will continue...
How many times have we seen threads about the subject...?
xxx
I wish that an equal effort was made against illegal drug use (including pot) as it is done against tobacco smokers. I am a pipe smoker, and when or where not convenient to light-up my pipe, I resort to cigarettes.
xxx
I think it is a regional thing too, to be "anti-smoker"... Most areas of Africa, Asia and South America are tolerant with tobacco smokers. As far as I am concerned, "no smoking" places are off limits for me. I do not spend my money there.
xxx
In the cockpit there are smokers and anti-smokers.
:D
Happy tobacco contrails

kijangnim
25th Sep 2008, 05:36
Greetings,
War is a thing:}, Law is another :hmm:, furthermore if you want to be credible as a responsable airmen versus your crew and passengers :ok:(whom will smell the so caracteristic cigarette smoke:eek:) DONT DO IT. :ouch:

airman13
25th Sep 2008, 08:16
it is a thread already, posted on 12th august on the same problem. well, for non smokers , travelling on flight deck , is an opportunity to smoke for free........

low n' slow
25th Sep 2008, 08:48
You ought to take up Snus!
General - Swedish Match (http://www.svensktsnus.se/konsument/General_pc.asp)
(sorry, it's in swedish)
I assure you, this is in no way the same thing as the US chewing tobacco or dry stuff you put under your bottom lip. It comes in bags or as a loose substance. It holds roughly twice the amount of niccotine than a regular fag and works a treat for smokers in the cockpit.

I've had to stop though to save my teeth and bloodpressure... :}

/LnS

Rananim
25th Sep 2008, 08:50
The SOP in our airline is that the skipper can only smoke Montecristos whilst the copilot is allowed normal reefers,otherwise strictly prohibited.

underread east
25th Sep 2008, 09:04
Does this not cause problems in the cabin as punters and crew smell the residual odours in their recirc'ed air?

My view is; If the book says don't, then either (i) DON'T (where else do you flout your SOPs?) (ii) Wait until you get somewhere you can (iii) use patches to satisfy your addiction, or (iv) Kick the weed.

Re-Heat
25th Sep 2008, 09:31
I wish that an equal effort was made against illegal drug use (including pot) as it is done against tobacco smokers.
I think everyone would agree, but the issue in hand is that the prevalence (or former prevalence) of tobacco smoking made it nigh on impossible for the non-smoker - particularly those who do not like the smell of it - to be able to avoid the smoke.

There is a difference between the bible-bashing anti-smokers (usually ex-smokers themselves, like John Reid) and those who just want to get away from the smell of it.

I would simply think it rude to light up in such a confined space, regardless of my position on the matter.

411A
25th Sep 2008, 10:43
The SOP in our airline is that the skipper can only smoke Montecristos whilst the copilot is allowed normal reefers,otherwise strictly prohibited.

Likewise at our outfit...works good.:ok:
...where else do you flout your SOPs?

We solved this long ago....only have a very few, and smoking ain't one of 'em.

parabellum
25th Sep 2008, 11:28
Whilst flying for a well known SE Asian airline it was not uncommon to see a fellow pilot pulling on the handle in the roof that allowed air/smoke to escape to atmosphere whilst at the same time he was pulling on a cig!

To their credit, once it became verboten for all pax as well they stopped doing this.

bflyer
25th Sep 2008, 23:31
I'd have to second what BelArgUsa said

HAPPY THICK TOBACCO CONTAILS...........:ok:

IRRenewal
26th Sep 2008, 00:31
There is no place for smoking in a modern work environment. That might explain the pro-smoking replies on here.

Loose rivets
26th Sep 2008, 03:16
Here it is...gosh, the power of Search.

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/310497-spicejet-captain-grounded-smoking-cockpit-2.html#post3868709