PDA

View Full Version : "Unfreezing" to ATPL

Droste
21st Jul 2008, 10:27
I have a question about 'unfreezing' to ATPL.

A F.I.,holding CPL (MEIR), with more than 1500hours logged in FTO, can the licence be unfreezed into ATPL without airline experience (meaning flying turbine jets)?

MIKECR
21st Jul 2008, 10:47
No, you need 500 hours Multi Crew. You also need to do an ATPL skill's test in a suitable Multi crew aircraft

Droste
21st Jul 2008, 14:19
Ooo...

FAA doesn't have that requirement to get ATPL.

Seemed like getting a FAA ATPL, then come back for JAR-FCL conversion will be much easy. :ok:

BEagle
21st Jul 2008, 14:39
It won't!

Mickey Kaye
21st Jul 2008, 16:29
Did you have to get 500 multi crew time with the old CAA ATPL? I can't remember

foxmoth
21st Jul 2008, 17:39
Certainly not when I did it - but that is going back a few years!:\

Whopity
22nd Jul 2008, 12:53
can the licence be unfreezed into ATPL There is nothing to unfreeze; you have a CPL if you want an ATPL you have to meet the requirements and apply for an ATPL. There is no such thing as a frozen ATPL!

Whopity
23rd Jul 2008, 07:51
Like all vacuum cleaners are called Hoovers and all ball pens are called Biros!

Droste
24th Jul 2008, 14:48
Strictly correct but it is a commonly used term to describe a CPL/IR with ATPL theoretical knowledge credit.
Thank you for explaining to him.

Seemed like Whopity is unfamiliar with the term used.

Droste
24th Jul 2008, 14:54
No, you need 500 hours Multi Crew. You also need to do an ATPL skill's test in a suitable Multi crew aircraft
Ooo...FAA doesn't have that requirement to get ATPL.
Seemed like getting a FAA ATPL, then come back for JAR-FCL conversion will be much easy.
It won't
Em...FAA ATP doesn't require any multi-crew aircraft time. Getting FAA ATP and return for flight conversion looks fairly straight forward. Agree?

Has anybody done FAA ATP conversion to UK-JAR FCL ATPL?

Whopity
24th Jul 2008, 17:31
I am very familiar with the term which is and always has been a myth!

BEagle
24th Jul 2008, 19:03
Getting FAA ATP and return for flight conversion looks fairly straight forward. Agree?

Nope - certainly not.

3 Point
30th Jul 2008, 17:28
As Beagle says, converting an FAA ATP to a JAR-FCL ATPL is not a simple process (unless the holder has many thousands of hours which is not the case here).

Anyway, what's the rush? With the CPL/IR and ATP theory credits you can get a job flying anything you like and all the airlines are quite accustomed to employing First Officers with a CPL. You only need the ATPL when you want to be a Captain and, by that time you will have the required 500 Multi Crew hours to upgrade your licence.

Someone is bound to quote a superstar who was ready for command before having 500 hours and I have known a couple in this category. for them it's bad luck but they are in a tiny minority.

The rules say you can get an ATPL when you have sufficient relevant experience; ie 500 hours in a multi crew airline type aeroplane.

Happy landings

3 Point

Droste
2nd Aug 2008, 16:43
Thanks 3 point!

Is there an expiry date for ATPL theory result? I am very worry that I can't unfreeze into ATPL when ATPL theory result expire.

RTN11
2nd Aug 2008, 16:59
Once you have your CPL/IR with ATPL theory (commonly referred to as fATPL) I do not think there are then any time restrictions on obtaining the 500 multi crew hours, 250 hours PIC, and 100 hours night time required to apply for an ATPL.

Check LASORS for more info.

I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong.

3 Point
3rd Aug 2008, 15:42
Look in LASORS, Section G1.3; it's all there!

Particularly ... "The holder of a valid JAR-FCL CPL(A)I/R with ATPL theory credits will be credited the ATPL theoretical knowledge requirements for a period of 7 years from the last validity date of the IR(A) entered in the CPL"

So, if you are flying and keepung your IR valid the exams will last forever. If you let the IR expire and do not renew it for 7 years then back to groundschool you go!

Happy landings

3 Point