PDA

View Full Version : Planes Stuck on Top of Each Other at Texas Airport

Capt.KAOS
16th May 2008, 14:22
The mating season begins...

http://www.foxnews.com/images/370566/2_61_plane_320.jpg

from Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356176,00.html)

anotherthing
16th May 2008, 14:40
so that's where Piper cubs come from....

Xorthis
16th May 2008, 15:16
Wow lucky escape!. Looks like if the piper was higher in it's decent or the other plane further forward the prop could have cut up the canopy. I'm assuming that because he would have been in the final stages of landing the RPM would have been low, a good thing.

merlinxx
16th May 2008, 15:29
Why the **** didn't that idiot abort & go around, numpty!

Jetjock330
16th May 2008, 16:10
so that's where Piper cubs come from....

Just brilliant, very good, LOL:D

Sunfish
16th May 2008, 20:11
Merlin:

Have a little charity, obviously with your wonderful skills, you have never made a mistake. Obviously the Piper would have gone around if the pilot had X ray eyes and saw what was underneath him.

A slightly similar incident at night killed an student near here.

All it takes is two simultaneous radio transmissions and a little inattention. The high wing masks the aircraft on final and of course the low wing masks the aircraft underneath.

Anyway a good landing is one you walk away from.

galaxy flyer
16th May 2008, 21:08
Same thing happened to a friend of mine about 40 years ago. The Cherokee landed on top of his Piper Colt, the prop cuts were about 4 inches behind his head. Don't remember about the student in the left seat. Went on to be a US Air captain, so worked OK.

Just a round about way of saying high wing and low wing planes repeat this accident ever once in awhile.

GF

javelin
16th May 2008, 21:12
Is that why we were late into Philly before Sun n Fun :8

airfoilmod
16th May 2008, 21:21
I think the female is a Stinson, making this a mixed coupling.

Sunfish- You're right of course. No harm no foul. My buddy was killed in an eerily similar wreck. Mooney landed on top of a just launched 152. Both in the Cessna perished. The red and white trainer sat vertical half way down 12, crunched into its wing struts. Rip Wally.

interpreter
16th May 2008, 22:35
A similar incident happened to me at Elstree back in the 60's. I was doing solo consolidation circuits and was certain I was number three but the tower said I was number two. I asked them to confirm that which they did - but I was still certain I was correct as I was always very wary in the circuit. I turned on to base leg and just before turning finals was told I was number one and cleared to land. At that stage I could not see any other aircraft at or about the same height.

Just as I had set myself up on finals I suddenly saw a set of wheels - I swear not more than 20 feet above me - and immediately put the nose down and turned to the dead side telling the tower in no uncertain terms what I thought of them. When I was back in the school I was simply told that the controller had made a mistake and that the other aircarft was making an especially steep approach!!

vihai
17th May 2008, 13:39
This happened in Rieti, Italy some year ago. Same dynamic. The pilots escaped unharmed and soaked in gasoline...

http://www.flightclub.it/mediawiki/images/Nuovo_trainatore.jpg

The two planes are being rebuilt an at least one of them will fly again soon :)

Sakura-Ichiban
17th May 2008, 15:01

In response to the above comment

Order of Landing.

An aircraft on final approach has right of way over others in flight or on the surface.

:)

jollyrog
17th May 2008, 16:03
I had it during training too. I was with instructor and we were establishd on final, radio call made, etc. Someone - never found out who, and it wasn't the A/G operator, called on the radio "There are two aircraft on final, one above the other."

I had no idea what to do for the best and my instructor wasn't entirely sure. Fortunately, we had to do nothing - the other aircraft quickly announced that he'd break off and we continued for our landing without any avoiding action.

I still wonder what would be the best course of action. Avoiding action is safer when you can see the aircraft you're trying to avoid. Not knowing whether you're top or bottom of the pair of aircraft is worrying.

DX Wombat
17th May 2008, 19:15
This has happened at least three times in Oz:
1 Jandakot - non-fatal
2 Moorabbin - a particularly nasty fatal as the lower aircraft burst into flames
3 Bankstown - also fatal, a Pitts landed on top of an elderly student.
The photos may look funny but the reality may be very far from it.

worldpilot
18th May 2008, 06:58
Nice picture. Well, this is just another mishap in the aviation history caused by lack of situational awareness.:sad: It is a catastrophic mistake with positive end (no fatalities).:D
However though, I would advice both pilot to take an awareness training.:ok:

WP

BroomstickPilot
18th May 2008, 07:17
Hi Vihai,

That pile up looks like a modern sculpture.

Trust the Italians to do it with style!

Broomstick.

BroomstickPilot
18th May 2008, 07:45
Hi Guys,

Back in the mid 60s, one day I was flying a Piper Colt into Barton. At that time, we all flew non-radio and the Colt had only recently been introduced into the UK as a training aeroplane.

Until very shortly before the time in question, Austers and Tiger Moths had been the standard training machines, and it had been standard practice to teach pilots to do all landings from a glide approach, so most pilots were still using this type of approach as standard.

The Colt had short wings, no flaps and a relatively high approach speed. It also sinks like a brick if you turn the power off, so flat powered approaches were the order of the day.

At that time, there were still a lot of Auster J1s in use. These had a very low range of approach speeds and large flaps capable of deflecting to 55 degrees, giving a very steep approach.

I was on final, approaching into the evening sun and could not see ahead very well. I then spotted an Auster flying perhaps a hundred or so feet above and perhaps 150 yards ahead of me. I saw those huge flaps come down to maximum deflection and the aeroplane descended like a lift in front of me. I had to abort my landing and overshoot.

Had I been a couple of hundred yards further forward there is every possibility that the Auster could have landed on top of me.

I think now you can see why I love the Sky Arrow so much. With the occupants seated in tandem and the engine and wings behind you, you have the sort of visibility you might only expect in some kind of fighter.

Broomstick.

mountain-goat
18th May 2008, 12:44
wasn't this just a response to too much love in the air? :)

terrible I know...:O

Red Top Comanche
18th May 2008, 21:37
OK, so Runway space can get tight but this is beyond a joke guys.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7406041.stm :)

Ops Guy
18th May 2008, 21:52
One way to avoid paying the landing fee :E

Red Top Comanche
18th May 2008, 21:56
double the weight is often more than double the fees

DX Wombat
18th May 2008, 22:46
Oh har de har har. NOT FUNNY! :mad: I know of at least two fatalities and one VERY near miss (the upper aircraft's prop stopped less than 6" from the head of the pilot in the lower aircraft) in three seperate incidents in Australia.

airfoilmod
18th May 2008, 22:49
mishap at Half Moon Bay ~20 years ago. Mooney landed on a just launched C152. CFI and student in Cessna perished, Mooney landed w/o injury. Humor is relative. I myself narrowly missed being sliced into salami by a Cherokee 6 scimitar when ATC cleared him to land, without mentioning that I was in the pattern below and ahead of him.

rmiller774
19th May 2008, 03:10
Spring is here.

finfly1
19th May 2008, 04:44
Throw some cold water on 'em.

Romeo India Xray
19th May 2008, 05:18
Indeed there is a serous side to this incident, and one we can all learn from - mark 1 eyeball is there for a reason but not infallible - be warned, be aware.

But

Subject to all concerned being a-OK, reminds me of a landing incident between a PA28 and C152 where the PA28 landed ON the lower C152 while both AC were on final. Caption on the attached picture in the magazine read "will you still respect me in the morning" - from the clip it looks like this pair were playing it a bit more roughly altogether :}

modelman
19th May 2008, 12:12
Why are we doing this one again,was discussed to death only 3 days ago?

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=327117

Pay attention lads:)

MM

DX Wombat
19th May 2008, 17:16
MM, I think you will find this has had the thread started in R&N added to it. My reply above this was certainly posted there, not here.