PDA

View Full Version : lifevest maintenance

courchevel
8th Jul 2007, 20:36
Hi,
For occasional overwater trips I am considering buying a lifevest vs renting them. Now I was wondering whether those certified lifevests--I guess they all work with CO2--need any regular maintenance. Just have not yet found that information on the net. Anybody who would know?
Thank you.

CherrytreePilot
8th Jul 2007, 20:55
Life Vests do need checking annually once they have gone beyond three years old.

I carry out the following :-

a) Unfold, then unscrew the CO2 cartridge. Inspect the seal, reject if any damage and buy new - ships chandlers are a possible source.
b) Inflate useing the mouth tube. Leave 24hrs. If still rigid its OK. Deflate and refold, screwing the CO2 cartridge firmly back.
c) Note on the record sheet the date & initial

DFC
9th Jul 2007, 15:01
Blowing into the mouthpiece to inflate introduces moisture. Not good if you wish to avoid rot.

AFE will properly check and certify lifejackets for £20.

Regards,

DFC

CherrytreePilot
9th Jul 2007, 18:37
Ive carried out this procedure for years and the jackets are still OK.

While in theory moisture may be introduced, inpractice it doesnt matte as the material is relatively non absorbent.

This method was told me by a ships chandler and is common in the yatchie world.

BackPacker
9th Jul 2007, 21:25
Still, if you do have some means of mechanically inflating them, by using a toy boat pump or something, it's probably a bit better. But the manual of mine simply says "inflate orally" when it talks about testing.

And obviously check the CO2 cylinder and mechanism visually, but also put the CO2 cylinder on an accurate kitchen scale. Either the empty weight or the filled weight should be stamped on the cylinder, and you should also be able to find the amount of CO2 that's supposed to be in it (somewhere in the 30-35 grams area for an adult vest). Check the weight and you can be sure it's full, while a very small leak might not be detectable visually.

courchevel
15th Jul 2007, 10:43
Hi,
Thank you for the information. Really helpful. I just prefer to know that the lifevest will do its work in just that worst case, and this sort of check as described will help me to trust in them.
Courchevel