PDA

View Full Version : Checklists in the operating theatre.

G-CPTN
18th Jun 2007, 15:27
the surgeon, who has clocked up 700 flying hours, said: "The challenge in the cockpit is similar to the challenges in the operating theatre. Any mistakes lead to drastic consequences and you have to make sure everything's perfect.
"I suppose I like living on a controlled edge.
"Since flying, I've introduced checklists in the operating theatre. I've put up signs above taps where you wash your hands before surgery, reminding people to check they have the right patient, the correct X-ray, and such like.
"I train surgeons at Newcastle University and I've introduced log books there. Medicine training is time-based, but in flying it's competency-based. You can't move on until you're competent in that field.
"We can learn a lot from aviation and we're moving towards competency training in medicine.
"Like pilots I have introduced log books for students and I fill them in once they've achieved something. As they pass each exercise, it goes in the log book."
http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/chroniclelive/eveningchronicle/tm_headline=the-flying-doctor%26method=full%26objectid=19314769%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Spitoon
18th Jun 2007, 16:12
I write as a professional in aviation - having worked as an air traffic controller and been involved in a number of management functions (safety and operational). One might expect similar measures that are seen on a flightdeck or an ATC unit to be applied in an operating theatre. Sadly however, on those occasions I have had contact with the medical profession (in a professional capacity - mine, not theirs), it appears that such controls designed for safety are not nearly as mature as we have in the aviation business.

A good example is reporting culture and sharing of lessons learned through hard experience. Certainly in the UK there is a well established reporting system and despite the fact that it may have a few shortcomings it means that data collected nationally can be used quickly to identify undesirable trends etc. This system has been in use - and developing - for 30+ years but, as I understand it, the medical equivalent is only just being established amid resistance.

foxmoth
18th Jun 2007, 19:23
I think they are also now introducing CRM type training.:ok:

slim_slag
19th Jun 2007, 08:34
Professors of surgery are a funny bunch :) Would have thought the anaesthetist role was a closer comparison to that of a pilot.

xraf
19th Jun 2007, 09:14
"Medicine training is time-based, but in flying it's competency-based. You can't move on until you're competent in that field.":eek:

So basically this guy, WHO TRAINS SURGEONS has only just discovered that it might be a good idea if

a) They can do their job:rolleyes:
and
b) Their bosses had a system in place to check if they can do the job:ugh:

As I've long suspected with the medical profession, competency has nothing to do with it. As long as you've done it for a long time, whether you doing it right or wrong, they will promote you to Doctor or even, evidently, Surgeon!!

Competency, ability and checking they're any good is, or at least up to now has been, irrelevant - Anybody else scared?:ouch:

Xraf:ok:

High Wing Drifter
19th Jun 2007, 13:53
it appears that such controls designed for safety are not nearly as mature as we have in the aviation business.
There's an obvious reason why too. Doctor fecks up, patient dies. Pilot fecks up, ....

scooter boy
19th Jun 2007, 14:16
Gentlemen,
As both a consultant surgeon and a pilot I can tell you that there are certain similarities between the two professions but would agree with slim slag that the procedural nature of the anaesthetist's role is far closer to that of a pilot than that of the surgeon's.

As a matter of fact checklists and safety checks in surgery do exist and have done for some time but measuring outcome (which is a key assessment tool for evaluating the impact of any checklist or training endeavour) is nigh on impossible in some specialities and very difficult in others.

It is easy to measure outcome if you are a cardiac surgeon for example, you can measure survival rates and how often the bypass grafts you plumb in block up, but in a speciality where nobody ever dies it is very difficult to measure hard outcomes and you have to lok at perceived quality of life improvement. This is where it gets a bit nebulous.

SB

Cusco
19th Jun 2007, 15:44
As a recently retired Consultant Gynaecologist and pilot I agree with most of what scooter boy says:
The Royal Colleges have had logbooks for years and our college (RCOG) brought in continuous professional development many years before the surgical colleges (and I am a fellow of two of these as well, in case you ask)and before it was made compulsory by HMG.
I would however agree that while a surgeon may only kill one person at a time, I would not be happy with the airline ethos of having a different crew on virtually every flight: This is I believe to assist CRM and to allow P1 and P2 to check each other continuously, I would find having a different trainee to assist at every operating list very counter-productive.
That said , the various medical journals often quote the airline industry in their quest to reduce the length of working shifts for all grades of medical staff.
Safe flying
Cusco.;);)

shortstripper
19th Jun 2007, 16:02
Having had a severed finger nerve re-joined today, I must just say that you surgeons are certainly worth your weight. The plastic surgeon who did it had the steadiest hands I've ever seen! But I must say, their "flight deck" was more like a meeting of the W.I than strict proceedural workplace. All the team, plus a couple of spectating fellow surgeons were gossiping about one of their collegues imminant break up from her latest boyfriend :rolleyes:

SS

Spitoon
19th Jun 2007, 18:12
shortstripper, sounds like the anaesthetist did a good job then.

PS - sorry to hear that you needed the medics.

DX Wombat
19th Jun 2007, 20:05
But I must say, their "flight deck" was more like a meeting of the W.I than strict proceedural workplace. All the team, plus a couple of spectating fellow surgeons were gossiping about one of their collegues imminant break up from her latest boyfriend It's called distraction tactics. :) Designed to keep your mind off what is actually happening. Never worked with me, I like to have a good look at what is going on - it tends to concentrate their minds. :E

high-hopes
19th Jun 2007, 20:16
Arguably, flying a plane is a lot easier than becoming a surgeon.

You can get a PPL from zero in 3 weeks.

I'd say most surgeons could get a PPL.
Most PPLs couldn't become surgeons ;)

I think the 2 activities are only linked by the fact a surgeon will earn a lot of money and, therefore, be able to afford flying ! :)

Cusco
19th Jun 2007, 21:56
High-hopes:

I wouldn't mind betting that you'll find shed-loads more I T boys with PPLs than surgeons.

Draw your own conclusions................

Safe flying

Cusco;)

high-hopes
19th Jun 2007, 23:01
I wouldn't mind betting that you'll find shed-loads more I T boys with PPLs than surgeons.

Sure enough but that's because they've got boring jobs and need to do something exciting with their free time ;)

slim_slag
20th Jun 2007, 08:19
You cannot really compare the two. The PPL is deliberately made as simple as possible, becoming a surgeon is deliberately made as hard as possible (though perhaps that has changed recently due to political meddling).