PDA

View Full Version : Do you use plural?

whitespiral
2nd Apr 2007, 18:10
Odd question, but I'm curious where the responses will tilt towards. When flying with no copilot and no passengers, do you still use plural with FIC/ATC?

Whirlygig
2nd Apr 2007, 18:18
In what context? Do you mean saying "we" instead of "I"? I don't think I say either.

However, I do say "final" instead of "finals" if that helps!

Cheers

Whirls

Chilli Monster
2nd Apr 2007, 18:44
Doesn't matter whether you're single or two crew - like whirly I've never used "we" or "I". Can't imagine a scenario when you would.

The aircraft is an "it", therefore the definitive articles "it" and "is" get used. e.g G-ABCD IS a PA28.....................etc"

whitespiral
2nd Apr 2007, 18:58
Hmmm...didn't think of this from the a/c's POV. However...

-The a/c is not looking for traffic
-The aircraft is not canceling its IFR plan

In short, the aircraft is not alone-it has crew.

Come to think of it, when I think of other traffic, it's always an a/c. When I think about my a/c, it's "we" or "I".

Would be interesting to hear a controller's opinion as well....

Gingerbread Man
2nd Apr 2007, 19:04
I say final too, because I don't really see what there is to plural. Is this incorrect? I often say 'on final' which I try not to because it could potentially be confused with 'long final'.
Ginger ;)

Whirlygig
2nd Apr 2007, 19:13
I still don't get it. Surely it would be something like, "Airfield Radar, G-ABCD, cancelling IFR plan". Where does "we" or "I" come into it?

Cheers

Whirls

whitespiral
2nd Apr 2007, 19:28
With regard to the final thing...

There's one final-so it should be singular IMO. Do you say downwinds? Bases? ;-)

The initial question was with regard to oneself. (When you have to say either we or I, and are the only person on board).

DBChopper
2nd Apr 2007, 19:35
Am I the only one here who would love to help but can't because I don't understand the question?

:confused:

Whirlygig
2nd Apr 2007, 19:42
No, you're not the only one DB!

OK, although I cannot think of a circumstance in which I would be referring to myself and/or passengers to ATC, let's just say that there is such a circumstance.

In that case, I would say "I" since the radio telephonic exchange would be between myself and the controller.

Cheers

Whirls

bookworm
2nd Apr 2007, 20:09
Doesn't matter whether you're single or two crew - like whirly I've never used "we" or "I". Can't imagine a scenario when you would.

In a request or question? "May we vacate on taxiway C?" "When is our slot?"

I'm sure you could find a way to rephrase everything in the third person if you tried but it sounds a bit daft, particularly with a long callsign.

whitespiral
2nd Apr 2007, 20:15
BTW-this could be a language issue (when not speaking english).

But in VFR flight, when talking to an FIC, surely there must be times you say "I" or "we"...

"HAB, will you relay the following to Information for us...we took off from LXXX, presently at XXX..."

"Information, ARC. We'll remain in the area for 5 minutes".

Again, this could be a language issue, but I'm curious...

Whirlygig
2nd Apr 2007, 20:15
Request vacate taxiway C? It's not using the third person but being frugal with terminology.

Cheers

Whirls

whitespiral
2nd Apr 2007, 20:32
Thank you!:)

There's tons of examples...

So bookworm, what do you say, when alone in the a/c?

whitespiral
2nd Apr 2007, 20:41
Sir Pratt, yours is a perfect example of a language difference. There are languages were you can't phrase it like that-you'll have to use we or I.

Good point about formation flying.

mark147
2nd Apr 2007, 20:49
Doesn't matter whether you're single or two crew - like whirly I've never used "we" or "I". Can't imagine a scenario when you would.There's two examples in CAP413: "I say again", and "I wish to file an airborne flight plan". I wonder if anyone's ever said the latter in full?

Chilli Monster
2nd Apr 2007, 22:02
Would be interesting to hear a controller's opinion as well....

Actually - you did.

flybymike
2nd Apr 2007, 23:42
I am capable of understanding whitespiral's question perfectly, and it is a matter I have mused on before myself. To answer his question, If I have a passenger or passengers on board I say "we," and if I don't, I say "I" ! Whether it is of any possible assistance for ATC to know that I have company ( I suppose it might be if I crash) I don't know, but I simply instinctively use the appropriate pronoun!
Mike

whitespiral
3rd Apr 2007, 00:32
Flybymike,

I've thought about this as it relates to SAR as well. The fact is that 99.99% of the time they'll know if you're solo or with pax from your flight plan.

chrisN
3rd Apr 2007, 03:15
"I", if using a pronoun. (I suppose there are always ways to avoid pronouns, but sometimes that is too tortuous or I can't think quickly enough for a way to avoid it.) As in, when responding to question from ATC about intentions, "I hope to manoeuvre to gain height to 3400 feet before heading north again". Avoiding it, but less grammatical IMHO, "Hoping to . . . etc."

Well, you did ask!

Chris N.

bookworm
3rd Apr 2007, 07:22
So bookworm, what do you say, when alone in the a/c?

"We". I'm lousy at maths and it saves having to count every time. ;)

Fuji Abound
3rd Apr 2007, 07:49
We always call a aeroplane a "she" and not without a reason.
She scorns the man whose heart is faint and doesn't show him pity.
And like a girl she needs the paint to keep her looking pretty.

For love she'll brace the sky vast, whatever type she be.
But if you fail to tie her down fast you're almost sure to lose her.
On planes and dames we pin our hopes, we fondle them and dandle them.
And every man must know his engines or else he cannot handle them.

Be firm with her and she'll behave when skies are dark above you.
And let her take a barrel roll - praise her, and she'll love you.
That's why a plane must have a mate; she needs a good provider.
A good strong arm to keep her straight, to comfort her and guide her.

For such she'll brace the roughest turbulence that crowd her.
And in a brand new coat of paint no dame looks any prouder.
The plane is like a dame in that she's feminine and swanky;
You'll find the one that's broad and fat is never mean and cranky.

With slight modification of a very old ditty, she obvioulsy is a she and so it must be we.

moggiee
3rd Apr 2007, 09:36
Quite simply: does it matter?

flybymike
3rd Apr 2007, 12:25
Fuji, Nice post!:D

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
3rd Apr 2007, 19:36
Golf-XXXX is/was wherever/whenever at whatever is normal I think. Anything is preferrable to what used to grip me; "the Speedbird NNN is ...". Sorry to any BA types out there but this was big blue fins with shiny gold, er, um; speedbirds.