PDA

View Full Version : British Airways - Wannabes & Recruitment

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

eurofly35
1st Feb 2007, 17:30
Hi everyone!

Im just wondering do you have to have a lot of flying experience to work as cabin crew for british airways? Also, how fast are people promoted ( from JCC to IFS etc...), and what are the hotels and overnights like?

Hope to hear from you soon! :)

Eurofly35

Smell the Coffee
1st Feb 2007, 19:33
12 months minimum was the usual criterion; promotion - varies, but generally, SLOW. Shorthaul - minimum 2.5 years, probably more (depends on the company's needs, which constantly change). Longhaul - varies, but usually much longer (10 years +)...
Hotels vary from acceptable to luxurious...most are in the city centre, with a few exceptions (Istanbul, close to airport, Stockholm - Uppsala). We use the usual brands (Intercont, Sheraton, Hilton and of course, the fab Holiday Inn).
Not sure what info you need regarding 'overnights'? Social scene downroute varies enormously...longhaul crew generally disappear into their caves (sorry, hotel rooms) until it's time to report again. Some shorthaul crew do the same, although it's 50/50; you can have some outrageous nights out - room parties followed by clubbing/pub crawls and then back to more room parties...on other nights, you'd better bring your laptop & DVDs....
Trips vary from 2-sector 3-day trips (LHR-ATH-LHR) to 8-sector 3-day trips (good for money, although you may end up slashing your wrists)...
On balance though, I'm very happy at BA LHR; lots of variety in routes, trips & crew. Probably the best terms & conditions of any UK airline...
Not sure when we're next recruiting, although rumours are flying around that LHR shorthaul recruitment is around the corner.
Hope that helps... :ok:

eurofly35
1st Feb 2007, 20:41
Thanks a million! That info helps a lot as BA is sometimes a bit hazy regarding crew experience requirements!

Hope you enjoy your next trip!
Eurofly35:) :)

banewboi
2nd Feb 2007, 11:59
management have said that recruitment would be as temp lhr sh only and when the temp period is up permanent contract at lgw sf will be offered

Smell the Coffee
2nd Feb 2007, 12:44
If that's the way forward as far as recruiting new entrants is concerned, I feel VERY lucky to have joined BA as permanent LHR.....not sure what LGWSF is like - I'm sure the peeps are a blast (young, eager etc.) but I can't help feeling a bit sorry for them.. :sad:

newbagr
4th Feb 2007, 21:05
hahaha,i dont blame you mate, i work at SFGatwick and i think its pretty horrible.... crew are lovely but what the company does there goes further than what you can think! name it and its done! 3 crew on s/h...done 1 down in longhaul done.... paid pretty bad for working a lot harder ....done. with all due respect... it doesnt feel like BA..maybe it isnt..i dont know if recruitment will be via LGW it d make sense...though knowing BA managerment i am sure they wont do it as they would do nothing that made sense and everything to piss off the crew!

newbagr
4th Feb 2007, 21:11
and baneboi can i ask you something? I ve heard this rumour going round about recruitment via LGW....though at the same time i ve heard an other rumour( quite strong) that LHR EF perm is just around the corner.One seems to contradict the other..Where did u get your info from?....i believe the summer season is not far and within a months time we d see what BA plans are

speedmarque
6th Feb 2007, 19:33
Title says it all really. Starting training from March onwards, six month contract, option to transfer to LGW Fleet IF NEEDED THERE.

Good luck all who will apply

lovethesky
6th Feb 2007, 19:42
still not advertising, starting in march??? ba couldnt even get bags to pax in under 2 months let alone get new cabin crew working for them.
lets hope it doesnt happen there are hundreds of crew waiting for longhaul. maybe ba is punishing them for wanting to go on strike??
yet more happy ba staff then

apaddyinuk
7th Feb 2007, 01:13
Hehehe....You think thats bad for punishment??? They are even now preventing us from parking in the visitors carpark outside Compass Center (our crew report center) so we cant drop off our duty free floats and Unicef collections!!!!! We used to be allowed to park there for up to 20 mins or so to do all the usual bits of post flight paperwork and stuff but NOOOOOOOO...They have decided to be petty!!!!!

But back to the thread in question!

Last year when they hired the temps for WW I heard an awful lot of moaning from them saying how badly they had been treated by the management and how they were lied to about being transferred to LGW. Many were under the assumption that they would be kept on at LHR WW.
This was only ever an ASSUMPTION. All the rest of us knew that they would either leave or be sent to LGW SF at the end of the 6 month period and thats exactly what happened. Please if you apply for the position, be fully aware of this. LGW is fun anyways so dont think you are being sold short.
Good luck to everyone who applies and I look forward to spending the summer with you...Ill be the Irish lad with a big scar on my right arm cos Ill just be back to work after breaking it! hehe!

malvin
8th Feb 2007, 18:32
Anyone interested, they are now recruiting and closing date is 10th March.

apaddyinuk
8th Feb 2007, 23:26
http://www.britishairwaysjobs.com/baweb1/tpl_ba01.asp?s=DKtVsYDaNlCOtQqCli&jobid=19670,1268882356&key=4416030&c=489814154883&pagestamp=seluholoyasyimbyrq

Good luck everyone!

tofster
9th Feb 2007, 09:56
They dropped the grade C requirement a couple of years ago. Have to admit pay at LGW is pretty low. If you are looking to pay a mortgage AND have a life I would look elsewhere.

Airside London
9th Feb 2007, 11:18
It's not right the amount of training that Cabin Crew have to go through and thats the money you get . The cost of living is so high and the crew At LHR are on more money and just laughing at the LGW crew and I know that for a Fact as my friend is old contract and I have a few others on the new contract at LHR .

Well at least you get a free breakfast and you could say that Virgin Atlantic is no longer the worse payed Airline , Even Zoom Uk is better payed at LGW .

EuropaBoy
9th Feb 2007, 13:38
Hi there,:D

I have a question is it possible to work for BA, while being on an unpaid leave from your current airline? :confused:

Thanx for respond,

EuropaBoy
9th Feb 2007, 14:40
Hi everybody,

I have few questions for BA LHR crews:

- Are there many international LHR EF commuters? How many nights do you have to spend in London ( early check in/late check out)?
- What about bidding with Carmen for 3 day trips, blocks of days off?
- Any sample roster of a commuting person from abroad?

Thanks for all replies!:)

flyer55
9th Feb 2007, 17:41
Well am going to add to the fire as BA Connect (now BA Cityflyer) is recruiting for Cabin Crew for either base EDI or LCY and starting salary is £10,750 pa plus FDP at £2.20 (LCY based crew receive £1,500 pa london allowance)

Not good and for a BA subsidiary to pay more than a BA mainline fleet

hottowel
9th Feb 2007, 17:59
Hi Flyer55, Can you give me details of how I can get in touch with BA Cityflyer... would be most grateful. Many thanks :)

Airside London
9th Feb 2007, 18:00
hey have you got the link ..

Cheer's

malvin
9th Feb 2007, 18:03
At least they have basic salary, unlike certain airline that hasn't.

flyer55
9th Feb 2007, 18:14
Try this link
https://baconnect.baplc.com

]
it should work !

jde
9th Feb 2007, 18:22
I am afraid this is one of those dreary "what do you earn" type of questions. but would be really interested to know how the one fleet at LGW is settling in and how it has affected wages. sorry to ask, sounds a bit nosey, would love to work on a BA mixed fleet but would like a ball park of what I might earn ( if I'm offered anything that is!!:} )

Airside London
9th Feb 2007, 18:27
Thats the internal site :) ...
Have you just got in from a trip !!

flyer55
9th Feb 2007, 19:07
Ha ha ha will check for you ! Yeah your right so looks like it is internal at mo but watch this space !

Volant77
9th Feb 2007, 22:14
A simple search would have answered your queries guys...

I joined BA at LGW in July and my highest monthly pay so far has been £1200. It's more like £1000 a month after tax on average.

Great job and people. But I'm going to be leaving soon. Can't live on that.

YONGE
10th Feb 2007, 09:39
Hi

Could somone help me answer the following.:rolleyes:

I know at LGW you have the basic salary plus the £2.30 flight pay from when you report for duty to when you clock off. Are there any other allowances on top of this that make up what you receive at the end of the month (e.g. meal allowance, overnight allowance etc)? I assume you get a % of duty free sales but presumably this doesn't make a massive impact!!

Also what sort of a social life do you have downroute? Is everyone quite worried about money and so don't tend to go out that much or is it quite lively?

Thanks for your help :ok:

flyer55
10th Feb 2007, 13:59
Latest rumour on Galley fm is that recruitment done via LGW and crew transfer to LHR EF and so on and no more temps being taken on !

malvin
10th Feb 2007, 14:14
Does BA not offer one rate for ground and then another rate for flying?

japanair
10th Feb 2007, 17:23
Hey guys

I,ve started filling in my BA application form but after consideration I,ve decided to take the risk of waiting for LHR recruitment. BA say that if you aplly for a position you cannot reapply within twelve months. If I withdraw my application will I still be able to apply for positions before the twelve months wait. I have not submitted the form yet and wondering is anyone in the same situation.

changes2007
10th Feb 2007, 18:22
Reading the posts here do I sit tight and wait for BA to open the temp LHR cabin crew for summer 2007, or is it only a rumour?? Gatwick is too far away from me, I need LHR.

japanair
10th Feb 2007, 20:21
Apparently LHR is coming in March.Recruitment in LGW first as its not peoples first choice then LHR after. Makes sense actually. All people desperate for BA will apply straight away then when LHR recruits only those who did not apply for LGW can go for it.

Matt101
11th Feb 2007, 15:07
"apaddyinuk" glad you knew in advance that we'd be going to the Gatwick single fleet when it hadn't even been up for voting on - in actual fact my course was told that if the Single fleet was rejected we would probably be kept at LHR - it wouldn't be the first time temps have been kept on at LHR WW - and if you don't think we are being sold short at LGW have a look at my pay packet - the crew are fab but trust me some of you up the road have no idea what we have to put up with.

lukeylad
11th Feb 2007, 15:12
I completed an online application for BA on Thursday. Could any one please tell me how long it takes them to get back to me.

Virginia
11th Feb 2007, 21:34
Is there a link to BA Connect recruitment? Wouldn't mind being LCY based!

Thinking of applying to BA LGW but the money seems less than what I'm on at EZY. But would love to work for a legacy airline, not sure if I should wait till LHR recruitment starts!

missworld21
12th Feb 2007, 10:53
Hi there,

some help please! i see that BA are recruiting for LGW. I've never flown before but have good related experiecnce.i am a graduate in accounting but have always wanted to fly. would it be wise to apply or should i hang in for LHR recruitment drive? Also, do i have to live in London (i currently live in scotland) and whats the living situation/pay etc. like? some helpful guidance and insider info please! thanks :)

apaddyinuk
12th Feb 2007, 14:09
Well Im sorry Matt...you were all screwed over BUT you applied for a TEMP position...there is no guarantees of anything after the 6 months and the very fact that you were offered a permanent contract in LGW is a bonus!

Your right, temps have been kept on in LHR WW in the past, but we are going back 10 years when things were very very very different. Im sorry if you feel hard done by but you were all misinformed, the rest of us knew exactly what was happening but a large number of the temps last summer just refused to listen and made it a little agenda! I must admit though, you were all a breath of fresh air the short time we had you!

SuperBoy
12th Feb 2007, 14:32
If I could just add my 2pence so to speak. If you are unsure whether to apply to LGW or not. PLEASE don't. Wait for LHR to come up.

If it's not what you want or where you want to be then concider the implications as transferring will take a long time.

Thats it. ;)

missworld21
12th Feb 2007, 15:12
Hi superboy,

thank you for your reply. So that a no no for LGW and hold out for LHR?? any other tips or advice? much appreciated! :)

missworld21
13th Feb 2007, 09:15
also, who do you work for if you don't mind me asking? thanks ! :)

Matt101
13th Feb 2007, 09:43
"apaddyinuk" actually I was offered a job on permanent EF LHR terms but BA cancelled our course - I know it's unique but..... I'm just saying I don't think even the company KNEW what was goign to happen (if we were misinformed it was by a CCM) it was all conjecture and Galley FM, despite that what's done is done, though SFG is hardly a bonus at £9k paycut from LHR WW I'm living on it til I can find something new or a transfer list (though it's been promised I won't hold my breath). And just an aside the last lot of temps to be kept on was 2 years ago not 10 - I spoke to one recently.

Sorry for my tone in these posts it's not personal I just feel that the company has really shat on the whole fleet - I feel more sorry for those that were incumbant at LGW and have to put up with it.

To those of you applying despite how grumpy I sound the fleet is full of amazing people if you want to work at LGW and await transfer to LHR it's probably your best bet of staying with the company as in future it is likely LHR will only recruit temps and then allocate you LGW if there is space as LGW is now NSP (Mainline BA Base) so many will be on a transfer list and jumping the gun would get BA in trouble with the Unions....again.

The money isn't great it's £9942 per annum basic (awaiting decision on whether this gets a 4.6% rise backdated to this feb) with various increments after periods of service. £2.32 an hour flight pay likely to increase to £2.43 soon which is paid from your report time until your clear from your trip back at base (you always get a minimum of £16.24 though even if a MAN there and back). Overnight allowance £6.72 / overtime is after 10.5 hours and is paid at 6.72 also and this doubles arfter 12.5 hours I believe. Dead heading is paid at £17.00 ish an hour and rest day working is paid a one of bonus of £89 ish you also get a paultry singel share of DF sales (no extra for being an operator though). If you're careful you can clear around £1100-1300 net a month.

On this you can't really afford to live in London (somewhere nice anyway!) (I'm trying) and there is no need- excellent train services to all the local places (Horley, Rehill etc etc) and after 6 months (when staff travel kicks in) many choose to commute via flight from all over the country (actually all over the world.) though if you do this you should be aware that on home standby you have 90 mins to report so you will probably have to put yourself up.

Purser promotion is good some 10 month old employees just got it and that ups your Basic to around £13000 pa (on the first rung of the ladder)

It's a lovely friendly little base with some gem routes - it is less money than EZY would be paying though. However you have to make a decison about the long term (if that's waht you're in it for) as transfer to LHR is supposed to be more frequent now and will put you annual income up by about £9k from a new entrant at LGW. I am "hodling out" to see if things improve financially or if the Xfer list gets in motion otherwise I can't see myself doign it long term.

flybywire
13th Feb 2007, 10:02
Sorry I do not remember who asked about LGW allowances....

Basically if you think of it as a cake, your salary is made of 4 different ingredients:

- The basic salary. For LGW is just short of 10k for the first year

- The tax-free hourly allowance: £2.32 at the moment from report time to half an hour after chocks on on your last sector back into base. If you do more than 10.30hrs in a day then the hourly allowance goes up after that to some £6.30 ph (approx). Then it goes up again after 13 or 13.30hrs (not sure, it is something to do with long haul flying, cannot remember exactly)
If you do a short duty (for example a 4-hour MAN there&back, although it's very rare these days) you get paid the minimum hours which are 7. Airport standbys are paid the same, unless you get called out then your hours start at the beginning of SBY till you've finished your duty.

- Overnight allowance: some £7 (approx) per night. If your flight is a shorthaul there&back but lands back at base AFTER midnight you are still elegible for this allowance although technically you are not spending the whole night away.

- In-Flight retail commission. 10% of the money earned during the sales divided by the members of the crew.

Now, there's a huge dispute going on at LGW at the moment regarding our so called "breakfast allowance". What that is we are the only ones in BA to have a B&B agreement for short haul (and possibly for long haul as well, that's why the dispute is going on). BA want to "buy out" this breakfast to give us an increment in hourly allowance of 11-13p (again, it's chaos at the moment so I am not able to give any more details!). LGW community seem to be against this (I am personally) as breakfast downroute can be very expensive, and when you are on an early flight the hotel usually provides the crew with a voucher to be spent for dinner/drinks etc. So watch this space!!!

Somebody else asked if living in scotland is ok for the job.....well, definitely not for the training course, however once you're estabilished in your routine (or lack of!) there are lots of people who commute from gla/edi/abz/man/ncl, though they have a place near LGW (like a cheap B&B or a friend's house) where they can stay in between trips and fly home in their days off.

Training for LGW is paid the minimum daily hours each day plus overnight allowance for the days spent at LHR (with overnight accomodation only) on top of your basic salary. It is not much but helps you during the second month! (the first month would be basic only as allowances are paid one month in arrear).

Hope this helps all the wannabe's!

I agree with the rest of my colleagues though. LGW is a great base with lovely, easy going people, however money is bad compared to LHR (and other UK airlines!). So my advice is: if you are looking for quick promotion, a mixture of short and long haul flying experience, and for a fun, relaxed environment while money isn't your top priority at the moment then I will be looking forward to working with you!
However if you have substantial economical commitments already and think that you can transfer to LHR in the near future, do not bother as with the new fleet in place it might take new entrants many years to be given the choice to transfer. You'd be better off waiting for LHR recruitment to start.

Whatever you decide, good luck with your applications!!:ok:

FBW

kalixte
13th Feb 2007, 11:47
Hi everyone,
I don't mean to influence anyone.
I joined LGW last spring and the first salaries were horrible. It took me 4 months to earn over £1000. I don't think the next new entrants will know the same situation as the single fleet is up and running now. My rosters are very nice and I can live and go out again.
Also, at same rank, I did earn a little more in my previous airlines but I worked a lot harder than I do now in BA. Being able to bid for your roster is wicked.
Moreover, I was lucky to be able to use my previous experience to get a purser promotion.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but at the moment, the LGW recruitment is already open whereas the LHR one is still a rumour.
Good luck for whatever you decide.

Virginia
13th Feb 2007, 14:38
I'm at EZY at the mo but have always wanted to work for BA. LHR sounds great but I'm LGW at the moment and happy to stay there as it's easier for me.

is training at LHR though? :confused:

kalixte
13th Feb 2007, 14:48
Only the SEP and they put you in a hotel where you have a room for yourself! All the rest of the training is at LGW.

ex cabin crew
16th Feb 2007, 22:44
Hi - does anyone know how strict BA are with height/weight ratio. From looking at the job advert it says about being able to strap into jumpseat without extension seatbelt, walk down aisle...etc etc - just wondering if not being a text book size would go against you when attending an interview. I am far from being large and just need to tone up a bit :ugh: Any comments would be gratefully received.
Many thanks :)

Smell the Coffee
16th Feb 2007, 23:21
ex-crew, no worries you'll be just fine....BA (as I'm sure most other BA crew & pax will confirm) are not known for recruiting people SOLELY on how they look....there ain't a 'BA look' and there are many that don't have Victoria Beckham waistlines...(that would be worrying!)
As you know, as long as you can strap in comfortably and walk the aisles...then all you need do is concentrate on meeting the other requirements.
Good luck! :ok:

ex cabin crew
16th Feb 2007, 23:34
Thanks for the reply - I can now happily eat that donut that I have been resisting all day and not feel too guilty!;)

flyer55
17th Feb 2007, 12:09
Yeah they dont check height & weight so you will be fine !!!

sweety
17th Feb 2007, 20:03
They do check your height and weight,one of my friends was telling me that during her interview last year they actually told one girl she was too short and she left after that.

British Airways LGW , I live in London and use public transport and I would like to know what time would I have to be on duty (Check-in) if I had to do a Early Morning Shift and I live in Baker Street . Is there other Cabin crew on here Based at LGW and live in London , Do you find your able to live ...Paying bills and going out etc .

Thank you !!!!!!

I'm also thinking of BA Cityflyer (LCY) , But then again look at BACON .

I'm so wanting to do that application form online but should I really be waiting for LHR , But it will proberly be Temp Position (6 Month's ) . Oh what to do :)

flybywire
18th Feb 2007, 15:55
Sweetie, they used to check height and weight but they don't anymore. They definitely did it with me 3 years ago. As far as I know (words from new recruits) the only thing you have to do now is to show that you can strap into a jumpseat and get out of it quickly. Nothing more.

banewboi
18th Feb 2007, 16:34
banewgr,

on the staff forum STS said during a floor plate meeting that recruitment would be tmp lhr if needed then sflgw perm again if needed. if i have it right about the nsp, they have to settle internal lists and promotions before recruitment to a fleet. also it's cheaper to train at lhr because they don't have to be put in hotel rooms or be bused around.

lgw pay, if you spend time working carmen properly then you can get good rosters, after 3 months i started takin 1300 and have never taken less that, if you don't count christmas and my crew card!!!

commuting, is easily possible, i live in doncaster and commute either early in the mornin on the high speed train or the night before and use a bnb, advance train tickets are cheap and i know crew who get late night bus services and sleep all the way, sometimes can be cramped though, it took 6 months or so for my money/trips to get right, although i was earning there were too many there and backs which isn't feasible for commuting. it pays to spend time getting to know how carmen works and what works for you, but remeber that what works for me might not for you, i never bid for time off as i find it's too constrictive etc etc

as for xfer to lhr, with the move to t5, efficient a/c usage, expansion at lgw etc etc i envisage crew movement between bases to be fairly fluid in about 3 years time ish, we work in a rumour mill so there is always hundreds of people saying different things so you have to look at the picture and then paint your own version:

there is going to be a long haul fleet expansion from 100 a/c to 135 a/c over the next (15 years?) few years, lhr is full, consultation on a 3rd runway isn't going well, t5 will be full in 2008 before any deliver is made, so where are the aircraft going?

lgw does it and does it cheap, the business plan is for leisure so why leave leisure routes at lhr?

why spend money on fleet implemention to sell lgw? doesn't make any sense!

sale of bmed and loss of routes, ba loses substantial presence in the middle east and north africa, 737's at lgw leases up for renewal, 737 ng's with er to then take the routes to lgw? maybe and would be more cost effective, particularly now with the new single fleet arrangements.

i can easily paint a picture of lgw being the future and i firmly belive that if you look at the business model and other airline structures then it does make sense.

missworld21
19th Feb 2007, 08:10
Hey guys,

any word or inside info on BA recruiting for LHR this year yet? Also, if its going to be temp does anyone know of anyone who was taken on temp last year but then kept on? thank you!! look forward to the response! :)

james2k7
19th Feb 2007, 10:15
Hi everybody..

After recently failing to get into Virgin (boohoo) i have just sent off my application to join BA at LGW..

There doesnt seem to be any information on what BA's interview / assesment day entails, can anyone shed some light on this please?

Any info would be great!

Also, any1 know how long it usually takes to hear back re your application and then attend an interview day?

J X

:)

lhrtolgw
19th Feb 2007, 11:54
Hi,

Essentially, the process for us was that we attended a 1/2 day at The Rivers near to the airport. We then signed in and met the other applicants before being split into groups with some attending a presentation or a group activity (we then swapped round). After both the group activity and presentation we were then interviewed.

Key points:

Be yourself/try to make yourself feel at ease with the other applicants as soon as you walk in/be prepared to ask any questions you may have/don't worry about the crew seat (it'll fit just about anyone!)/think about what you have done in the past when dealing with others - what problems you faced/how you managed them/turned things around.

Remember, they really do want you to do your best - plain and simple. There'll be no trick questions from the 2 interviewers (who will be taking lots of notes!). They really are decent people who will do their best to make you feel at ease.

Oh, the only downside is that when you start you will discover that LGW operates the 777 the same as LHR however, there are fewer crew on board meaning that you have to work even harder (no time to read OK/Hello/Daily Mail I'm afraid) and yes, the pay is absolutely appalling :eek: unless you still live with mum and dad in which case you will be fine. As for commuting well yes, we get 'cheaper' flights but this is an extremely expensive option for someone on LGW terms and conditions. Also, there is a Gatwick BAA train discount card (for which you pay around a tenner) and this gives you 1/3 off fares to and from LGW.

Should you decide to go for the LHR Temp if it comes up, let me tell you that you will have a great time doing an LAX, YVR, SFO, MIA and wherever else. You will also earn far better money in the process - an average of £1900.00 per month as opposed to £1100.00 at LGW where you really do work very, very hard.

Whatever the case, do what is right for you at this moment in your life and things will work out for you. :ok:

All the best.

missworld21
20th Feb 2007, 10:15
Hi there!

was just wondering if there was any word of LHR recruiting yet, even for temp positions? i was going to apply for LGW but am holding out for LHR! Also any info about commuting from scotland - anyone do it or know any1 who does it? much appreciated! thanks X

flybywire
20th Feb 2007, 18:27
No permanent recruitment into LHR yet. As the IFS manager said recently, the next recruitment into LHR will most likely be on a temporary basis, and after the period expires it could be transformed into a permanent LGW contract.

Commuting from scotland is fine, I know many people who do it even in EF, however it might take a while to get the trips you want (longer ones or scottish night stops for shorthaul) so that could make it a bit more difficult; for longhaul it is less of a problem. Keep in mind though that you are not elegible for staff travel for the first 6 months or indeed while on a temp contract, so it might be cheaper to find an accomodation near the airport for that period.

Whatever you decide....good luck!!

flyer55
20th Feb 2007, 19:21
Hi All

As a crewmember @ LGW , ive been reading your postings .

On the subject of pay talks are starting shortly which will cover allowances etc .

Yeah LGW 777's work with less crew than LHR but the Gatwick Fleet has only been running 4 months and they will be doing trial flights soon too monitior service , crewing levels etc .

With ba taking extra LH aircraft their is no room at LHR for expansion unless ba drop routes or buy slots . So LGW is the likely option and with them only having 9 LH nightstops + shuttles , it would be good for LGW to have expansion even if its lesiure market. So watch this space and their is rumours additional LH aircraft will come to LGW ! So watch this space for aircraft orders as it will be announced soon for both LH and LGW Shorthaul routes .

I know some people think ba lgw is not mainline but it is and is part of ACC NSP - which is A ir Cabin Crew National Selection Panel who monitior transfers , part time and agreements for mainline crew etc .

Another rumour is that LHR will no longer take permament new entrants as recruitment will be done via LGW .

Good luck all and look forward to flying with you all if you are BA LGW !

BA Boi
21st Feb 2007, 00:07
flyer55 i can almost guarantee that SF LGW will NOT be getting any new longhaul aircraft ANY time in the near or indeed distant future. BA would not waste it's valuable new resources by doing something as foolhardy as that! lol!
you might be very lucky and get the odd shorthaul airbus from LHR thrown your way. maybe.
the company has been saying for years now that they are desperate to expand the LHR operation - but haven't been able to do so in any full way due to the lack of available aircraft in the longhaul fleet.
any new routes launched in the last 4 years or so has been at the expense of other routes, or a reduction in frequencies to certain muti-service destinations.
ALL of the new aircraft that will be arriving into our fleet from next year onwards will be LHR based. they will be replacing 20 of the oldest 747-400's; all of the 767-300's and more aircraft added to the fleet in order for expansion of the operation to commence again.
the list of cities that BA wants to launch brand new services to, and also return flying to, is as long as my arm. again ALL of those routes will be operated from LHR.
LHR is, and has always been, where the money is. not LGW.
they will plough all their new investment in aircraft into where they know that they will get a very big return on it - London Heathrow.
btw, ACC NSP stands for air cabin crew national SECTIONAL panel, not "...selection.." panel.

HZ123
21st Feb 2007, 08:47
BA Boi; I think is spot on, despite meeting the SHPIG targets for LGW all is far from rosey in the garden. Ground handling performance is still poor and costly and Waterside is reluctant to put any new longhaul routes there as so many are covered by the opposition and at considerably lower costs, which is the main concern. The SH operation is run surely to stop Easy becoming a major player from LGW which would happen if we cut back our SH services. If we could facilitate the 777 services at LHR be assured they would be here tomorrow and bear in mind the 7's are the GE engined a/c which do not perform as well as the RR engined. It is of greater concern the replacement of the 737's that at times look desparate and cannot operate as effectively as there LHR equivalent and it is to the Euro aircraft that need to be the prime concern for replacement. If replacement goes ahead it will not be until the end of 08 start of 09 at which time Watersides main concern will be T5 not LGW. If the price is right don't rule out the EMB190's.

flyer55
21st Feb 2007, 11:16
Actually ba just announced that they have ordered 4 777 200er which to be delivered in 2009 after t5 opens , for expansion and nothing about the replacement of 747 / 767 . With 737's needing replaced we will find out soon.
LGW will be expanding on lh routes and waterside are in all favour for LGW to expand which needs to happen .

BA Boi
21st Feb 2007, 12:08
flyer55, the order announced today is just a bridging order that will allow immediate, small expansion from the end of next year/very early 2009. the full order for 35-60 aircraft will be announced around early summer time. they are currently evaluating the 777/787/747-800/A380/A330 and A350XWB.

again, these aircraft will be LHR based, because that is where 99% of the company's focus is, not 35 miles down the road.

HZ123
21st Feb 2007, 16:30
Flyer your commitment is a credit to you but BA boi is spot on again. These aircraft plus any big orders will not arrive before late 2009 - 2010 and beyond, it is doutbful that you will operate any of these aircraft. That is why with regard to SH the EMB 190 would be in with a shout as they would be prepared to divert a/c to BA. Your immediate problem is 737 replacement and that is the only deal that is under consideration.

tofster
22nd Feb 2007, 08:36
Just out of interest the EMB, how big is it? I'm slightly tall at 6ft3" would I be able to fit in one of these? I used to work the 757 and had to duck under all those damn TV screens, esp the one at the front! Just wondering IF it did come to LGW that I would have cause not to work it :E

http://www.britishairways.com/cms/global/assets/images/podimages/planes/Embraer_145.gif The Embraer 145 is mainly operated on flights within the UK and from the UK to Europe; it carries a maximum of 49 passengers and has a range of 831 miles.

flybywire
22nd Feb 2007, 11:03
Correct but they were talking about the Embraer ERJ 190-195 which is bigger and looks totally different! I'll see if I can attach a picture

This is the ERJ 190
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1167023/M/

And inside
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1162529/M/

FBW:ok:

RNboi
22nd Feb 2007, 12:03
Tofster I have exactly the same problem, I am 6ft 5in and am really struggling on the 737 since I came down from LHRWW in Dec, one of these days I am gonna get concussed with the amount of times that I bang my head on the damn thing. Not a lot can be done though I guess :hmm:

Thanks flybywire , it's a lovely looking Aircraft !!
Watch out LHR ..the Glamour is at LGW .

Only joking I love both bases , As I have been on flights as a Passenger from both and you would never think there was any money issues with the crew as there always polite . I think I would like to apply for Temp 6 Months at LHR , to pay my overdraft off :uhoh: .

And then I wouldn't mind going down to LGW ...loads of beach Parties down route . Just a little question do you get many Long Haul trips or do the crew who decided to stay at LGW get all the trips and as I live in London I don't mind early starts etc.. but can you bid to work later flights ? Thanks for Info , It's so funny I look at the BA website everyday going should I or Not . But I'm going to wait until the 8th to Apply as six months temp LHR would be good , But then again I might not be kept on and for someone who has been flying for 8 yrs and always on Perm Contract it worries me . Oh the Drama lol ..

newbagr
22nd Feb 2007, 13:54
just to remind you that the 6 month contracts at LHR is a rumour and waiting for a rumour to come true is not the best option. I was one of those temps who went to LHR for 6 months though i was going thru my emails and i saw the congratulations email i got from BA....and guess what the date was.... 3rd of feb starting two months later. Its now nearly into March and still no recruitment for the temp contracts . LHR is very overcrewed at the moment with all the transfers from LGW WW to LHR WW.

MMM.. cheers for Info , Hope everything works out for you , It's a little bad to make you wait that long :bored: .

I failed my interview for LHR in 2005 , Then I applied in 2006 but silly me applied to early so the computer rejected my Application . So now it's 2007 and a friend of a friend who works in recruitment said i could apply in Feb , So I think I'm going to wait till March to apply just to be on the safe side as that rejection email is not nice and then it's another 12 months :ugh: to wait . And I need to get some examples ready :confused: as my interview was so so bad , Anyone who passes that 45 min interview is a star . It's intense with loads of ?????

missworld21
22nd Feb 2007, 14:26
Wow, that sounds tough! i am also holding out for LHR rather than apply for LGW cc. can you give examples of the kinds of questions they ask you in the interviews and what you are going to do this year to prepare? :)

It's so simple they are all the same questions on your application form , also Easy if you can remember them when your nervous . But you just need to go over and over them in your head so they do sound true , like I would lie about my examples :} lol..

Here is one Question ,how would you save the company money? " Make sure the passengers are are always happy and they will come back " . As I said before it's just your application form all over again with more example's .

And they do like to ask you loads of question ,but once your finished with your example they will pause which will feel like forever . But don't say anything more just keep smiling until the next bomb shell question also don't go back on yourself , if they say have you ever had an argument with someone at work , you know you always say NO !! , this is what I did but then she said come on your been flying a while you must of . So I lied and said yes and made this stupid example up and you could see by her face "Wrong Answer" honey :( .

And learn the product , Did you know BA was the first airline to introduce the fully flat bed in bussiness and if you say BA use that term in the whole interview but the older crew still prefer British Airways then BA !!

Well now that LGW Single fleet is now closed , let's hope LHR comes up in April .

claresy18
11th Mar 2007, 08:55
if ba are recruiting for summer temps, then in order for the trainin to start and everythin how long does it take them to get back to you? i filled in a form on thursday1

japanair
11th Mar 2007, 17:53
Hey guys. Yes LGW now closed anyone any idea if LHR will recruit soon. Friend from LHR EF told me they will recruit EF LHR in March she was nearly certain it will be permanent contract. Any one any idea on this or is it just galley fm working overtime???:suspect:

SuperBoy
11th Mar 2007, 18:36
It's probably Galley FM working over time. As ALWAYS with BA when you see it on bajobs.com then you can know it to be true.

My personal opinion is, don't hold your breath for recruitment into LHR. If they needed cc for summer whether it be permanent or temp they would've started recruiting by now. I could be wrong but like I said just my honest opinion.

However I hope it works out for you. :)

Hey Japanair ..
I have heard the same thing from a ex LGW long haul crew member who is now LHREF and he told me not to apply to LGW and to wait .

But it Might be Galley FM as Superboy said , Fingers crossed hey . It will be funny when it does come up as I think BA Computer system might freeze up , With all us waiting :)

newbagr
11th Mar 2007, 21:27
guys i hope there isnt recruitment for LHR ...i am crew at LGW and personally if i find BA recruits for LHR despite what they ve been saying then i ll be submitting my notice the day I see it. Now we are on the NSP and an official mainline base, recruitment will be done from LGW to LHR so there will be a steady transfer of crew from base to another. If they do it then it will be fair for everyone. There was rumours as usual that they will get temps like last year! Well its clear now that no temps will come as its mid march and getting late for summer season! Dont rely on galley fm in order to sort your future!

missworld21
14th Mar 2007, 16:13
Hi guys,

Any word on temp recruitment with LHR now that the recruitment drive for LGW has closed? cheers! :)

newbagr
14th Mar 2007, 18:07
why would they recruit at LHR when they are so overcrewed opening lists for transfers to EF from WW for anyone who wants and having crew hanging around on 24avail! guys i know LGW isnt the perfect place to be but if you waited for LGW to close so LHR can start you might have to wait for sometime!

Once the Internal list is clear they will open up
LHR .

And I don't think they will get many crew wanting LHREF from LHRWW !!

ex cabin crew
15th Mar 2007, 13:31
Hi - has anyone recently attended a selection day for LGW cabin crew? Just wondering if anyone has been offered a position yet.

newbagr
15th Mar 2007, 17:51
location...just to let you know that they could take crew from Gatwick Fleet since now in NSP and then recruit at LGW as they already do to cover the shortages! I hope they stick for once to what they been saying!

Newbagr ...When you applied to BA did you apply for LGW or where you one of the LHR WW Temps that where sent down to LGW ?

All I remember from the BA website in the past month for cabin crew vacancies was "AIR CABIN CREW SINGLE FLEET , LGW ONLY" now why would they put that in the advertisement ? To me it sounds like if you apply for this position you will not be able to transfer to LHR .

I'll wait first and if LGW comes up Again well then i'll just have to bite the bullet and apply :sad:

newbagr
15th Mar 2007, 22:58
matey the reason they put this Gatwick Fleet only is to avoid having people applying and then asking them if there is anychance they could be sent to LHR cos they live close to LHR or other reasons or sometimes they get people turning it down after they get the job and tell them if there is any chance they could be kept in the holding pool for when LHR comes up. There are transfer agreements between the two bases and recently the company have made clear that they intend to do recruitment to LHR thru LGW

Dolley
16th Mar 2007, 00:47
Should you decide to go for the LHR Temp if it comes up, let me tell you that you will have a great time doing an LAX, YVR, SFO, MIA and wherever else. You will also earn far better money in the process - an average of £1900.00 per month as opposed to £1100.00 at LGW where you really do work very, very hard.

Just out of curiosity...how come the money is so different?
Has it to do with the temporary contract? Or is it because of the location or the fleet?
Is there permanent staff at LHR at all?
It just seems such a huge difference and quite unfair...but maybe I'm missing bits of information?!

Cheers :-)

tipitoes
23rd Mar 2007, 15:10
hay ... Im completly new to all this.... but iv got an interview on wed next week for Gatwick crew..... anyone got any advice?? any help would be GREAT!!!!!

ex cabin crew
23rd Mar 2007, 15:50
Hi Tipitoes - good luck for your interview. My advice is to be yourself, smile and interact as much as you can with the other candidates. Have loads of real examples of when you have given excellent customer service, dealt with angry customers, gone beyond the call of duty etc etc. Give real examples cos they will know if you have made them up. Above all try to relax and enjoy it - I was so nervous before the day but the nerves went when I was there and I got through and start on the 11th June. Good luck and pm me if you need to.

Smell the Coffee
23rd Mar 2007, 20:36
Dolley, I'm shorthaul at LHR so I stand to be corrected, but I believe LGW crew are on hourly rates; LHR crew are on an allowance system which is completely different, hence the disparity in pay.
Yes, it's unfair and it's because of the fact that Gatwick shorthaul (which recently ceased to exist) was formed from the ashes of Dan-Air, an airline which BA bought in the past - the ex-Dan Air staff were also bought by BA BUT their old Dan-Air Terms & Conditions (pay) were kept in place and formed the basis of the BA LGW Eurofleet terms & Conditions.....when LGW became single fleet, I believe BA decided to pretty much apply the old Dan-Air-style conditions to the new set-up...this is why you may find some people going on about the LHR pay vs LGW pay....
LHR crew (Euro and Worldwide) generally earn more and work less because their contracts have a different origin...on Eurofleet, what we get paid depends (amongst other factors) on what time of the day we work (breakfast, lunch or dinner) and the cost of that meal in the hotel that we stay in overseas.....if you spend a whole day in Zurich say, then the allowances you get for that trip will depend on the cost of breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Zurich hotel, NOT the number of hours you work etc. On balance therefore, the allowance system seems to trigger more £££ than the hourly rate paid at LGW.
Hope that makes sense...........

flybywire
24th Mar 2007, 07:37
Smell the coffee....half correct. We at LGW are on hourly pay (although there's a huge dispute going on at the moment as management say that the hourly pay, which is tax free, is intended as an allowance to pay for expenses downroute), but we also have overnight allowances.

So if we're away overnight, or we land back at lgw after 12midnight we get an extra overnight allowance too (not much I do not even remember how much it is right now, but better than nothing)

Smell the Coffee
24th Mar 2007, 14:36
Thanks flybywire, bumped into some of you at the NCL hotel the other day...couldn't believe the crew were all doing ATL, ANU, IAH the very next day!! :bored:

Matt101
24th Mar 2007, 18:59
Hey I know what you mean Smell the Coffee. On my Six Month temp contract I was getting used to the Long haul 4 day trips followed by 3 MBT's now I'm doign a 2 day 6 a there and back on the third day and then being sent to MCO on the fourth - then coming home and dying for days off. - I'm sure other ppl work harder in other airlines but my body clock is screwed!

To someone else who asked it LGW allowances £2.32 for each duty hour (check in to check out so you are being paid whilst on slip too) (this goes up to £6.37 an hour after 10.5 hours and then £12.76 an hour after 12.5 hours but this is only for flight duty time, not slip, so report to chocks on plus 15mins over 10.5 hours triggers o/t) £6.43 overnight allowances I think. We also currently trigger breakfast to be paid for on s/h and the Caribbean however this is part of current TU talks. There are also other allowances for rest day working (something like £80 a day) and dead heading and a few other things you might trigger once in a year.

This is a hangover from Dan Air/City Flyer contracts and there are actual diffrences within the MOA to what certain crew can do dependant on your original airline of employment which makes for very interesting confusion.

This leads to a Disparity in pay between what I was being paid at LHR on a temp contract (same pay as a perm contact jsut pro rata) and at LGW SF of about £9k a year mostly lost in allowances as the basic rate is not much different (about £500 a year). It is unfair but I think ppl who are ex EOG say that the longhaul was not just a carrot because of the expereince of these routes but has had tangible effects on their take home pay. IE eurofleet crew are better off now whereas anyone from another fleet is significantly worse off financially.

Depressing bit aside we have some lovely routes down to the Caribbean and 3 American routes too if shopping is your bag however I recon in a year when open skies comes these will likely go - some say to be replaced with holiday destinations like Mauritious however it;s all speculation but I wouldn't complain!!

And in reply to someone elses questions. I wouldn't bank on permanent recruitment to LHR opening up, I'd think it unlikely. I would also imagine, given assurances given by managment that any permanent movement into the base would be from LGW crew, there would be an uprising down the M23 I would personally be unhappy as sitting at the bottom of seniority at LGW (apparently 9 months of previous service counts for nothing) I would like to see some movement. however I had a lovely time on the 6 month contract and as this was a "gentlemens agreement" I would not be shocked to see perm contracts offered at LHR just annoyed.

Having said all that SFG is a wonderful fleet to work at - peeps are lovely with, as I said, some diamond routes. Young enthusiastic crew and you can bid for your trips my seniority is very low but I have been good with my bidding and so have some nice trips next month including a couple of 4 day Barbados' with no POS shuttle (HURRAH!!). Promotional opportunities are also excellent.

If the finances were the same I wouldn't touch the LHR transfer list with a ****ty stick. However this is not the case so I'l be trying to get back up asap.

Sorry for the essay!!!!!!!

bcnbarcelona
24th Mar 2007, 19:27
Matt101

I agree with you 100%.

Very honest and down to earth explanation of SFG.:ok: :ok: :ok:

lovethesky
25th Mar 2007, 01:14
having recently spoke to simon talling smith head on IFS, he confirmed that ba would be recruiting temps this year. But numbers have not been decided. he stated that it would be nowhere near 700. which has been mentioned on galley fm.
they are going to recruit for temps to start at the end of the summer, this coincides with needing more main crew when the purser comes off the 747 in september. the number of maincrew will then decrease, as they have offered crew at lhr ww temp part time for 1 year starting this month. and they will need to go back to full time. this helps them reduce their 900 hours.

he also stated that there will be xfers from eurofleet from the xfer list.
hopefuly they will xfer people from sfg to euro lhr to allow for these xfers.
but remember that the xfer list to lhr ww is done in seniority and all crew at lhr euro are more senior in the nsp that sfg crew. but purser xfer 50% has to come of xfer list by seniority and 50% by internal promotion.

with the open skies coming in ( march i believe ) ba have already stated on the intranet that dfw will be going to lhr, i expect they will swap it with lhr eurofleet routes, to free up slots at lhr. so they will still need the same amount of crew at lgw.

BA-FLY
25th Mar 2007, 17:11
Does this mean LGW will loose all its US routes :-(

Pax Agent
25th Mar 2007, 17:39
not all....just AT, DFW, IAH, (MCO and TPA should stay).

Smell the Coffee
25th Mar 2007, 17:41
BA-FLY, I would imagine IAH would be the No.1 route to move to LHR because of extremely important transfer traffic to oil-rich states in Africa...as all of our sub-Saharan routes leave from LHR, that is where the IAH route should start/end.
I guess the lesiure routes (Florida, Caribbean) might stay at LGW as the company seems to reserve LHR for premium/business routes (that applies to Euro and WW).

BA-FLY
25th Mar 2007, 18:25
Ok i see , it does make sense , it will be sad to loose those three routes as they havnt been around to long at LGW. Do You think they will get replaced ?

ex cabin crew
25th Mar 2007, 19:34
They have been around for years - I used to do those routes over 10 years ago :)

BA-FLY
25th Mar 2007, 20:19
O ok sorry please forgive me lol :) Kinda new to this game

ex cabin crew
25th Mar 2007, 20:26
Forgiven LOL - I wonder what they will be replaced with though? Maybe extra shorthaul routes or some nice sunshine destinations :cool:

BA-FLY
26th Mar 2007, 18:08
I really hope some long haul destinations but we gotta see if they will defo go yet
x

Matt101
26th Mar 2007, 21:23
To be honest it's all Galley FM - Whitehall could still withold landing rights in opposition to the EU if the USA don't open up their archaic systems. But I think it is getting more and more likely that we'll wave bye bye to IAH, DFW and ATL however I wouldn't be surprised to see some longhauls replace them. Shorthaul routes in exchange would still leave us overcrewed (in some ways good as I'd imagine it'd result in some SFG crew following the 3 flights to LHR).

However I can't see them sending s/h to us as the ones left are used quite heavily by transfering pax from mainline world wide.

I'd like to see, and think it is more likely, some longhaul holiday destinations coming down. Perhaps some nice beachy places please!

It's nto just wishful thinking I just think there is more to consider than slot spaces ie. crew compliments ramp space for more longhaul aircraft (esp when they are already ordering for current expansion) I dunno just my two penneth worth - sure somebody will tell me I'm talking twaddle! :ugh:

lovethesky
26th Mar 2007, 22:53
who knows what will happen, ba may send shorthaul services such as cdg, ams, ath, sof, bud, prg, lca, down to lgw as they are mainly leisure routes and have little connecting traffic.
nas wouldnt go to lgw as they cant get a 777 into pls or gcy and they are the real earners 4 ba on this route.
mru - goes on a 747 packed all the time!!! could go daily on a 777 but then ba would need to get a bunked aircraft down to lgw.

whatever happens im sure that it will be the worst deal for ba lgw staff as they always get screwed over.

lovethesky
27th Mar 2007, 09:02
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/transport/article1561959.ece

interesting article, confirms that dfw atl and iah will go to lhr.

what will lgw get?????? condition of lgw joining nsp are that they are frozen from transfering for 2 years.
so whats gonna happen

Matt101
27th Mar 2007, 16:32
Hey mate - where did u get the info on the transfers being forzen for 2 years we were assured a list would open this winter and we would see movement within the next 18 months - this is manager speak though??

As I have no reason to doubt your info I recon there are a significant ammount of crew who would be interested/furious to learn about this as it is certianly not the information we were given!

Should have taken that place with Emirates............................. :ugh:

In addition does this mean these end of summer temps that are confirmed to be coming online would be sticking up at LHR - as one of last years temps think I would be chuffing furious if this happened as I'd imaigne a lot of EF LHR would be????

lovethesky
27th Mar 2007, 17:41
it was an greement when sfg was set up, 2 years frozen 2 get it up and running. i was told about it by the union when they were fighting for sfg to be in the nsp.
temps cant stay, the only reason they get direct entry to lhr ww is because they are temps, thats why unions couldnt do anything about it last year when everyone kicked off. they may get offered euro lhr, or sfg to alow for fleet xfers. but who knows.
im sure one thing u have learnt is that ba can break the rules, do whatever it wants, whatever pis*es off the most crew:ugh:

Matt101
27th Mar 2007, 18:05
Learnign it a bit more each day - thing is EF lhr is where I want to go not WW right away and an influx of temps would put that to bed.

Since I started with the company so many different things. I was always supposed to be perm ef lhr but did it happen? did it ..........

Why can't they say they respect the crew community and actualy respect us at the same time - absolute f**k wits - watching bridget jones right now and I always like it when she says that.

Honesty is free yet BA don't seem to be able to afford it! :mad:

newbagr
27th Mar 2007, 18:34
exxuse me but the temps should be offered only LGW so people from Gatwick can come to LHR EF or WW. LHR EF should not be an option specially when you have people waiting to go to EF from SFG! If they do that we ll lose every respect i had for them! which i dont anymore anyway!

japanair
27th Mar 2007, 18:49
newbagr, no one forced you to go to LGW and I think its unfair to say temps should not be offered EF LHR. LGW has recruited many times and I along with many people have never applied as I dont want to be based there. There may be a chance that you can get transferred to LHR but that is not the base where you originally took the job therefore you should not expect all recruitment to stop just cos you are waiting for an xfer.

newbagr
27th Mar 2007, 19:14
well lets put it that way japanair!I didnt really want to live off credit cards and earn a lot less than i was earning at LHR on the temp contract of 6 month! I signed to go to LGW that was the only choice and i am gonna wait for my side to return whenever! As i didnt get offered to stay and even colleagues of mine who did 6 months contract at LHR EF didnt too i believe this year temps shouldnt be offered either. At least this will create a balanced flow of transfers at steady rate and this will benefit everyone! I am sorry but if you d like LHR then you should wait like the rest for your turn!

lovethesky
27th Mar 2007, 20:12
lets not fight amongst ourselves!!!! we all seem to be on different fleets than we actualy want, and recruiting temps seems to screw our plans right up.
wheni joined it was a case of u did ur stint on euro and then got ww, well that seems not to be the case. isuggest u email ur views to STS or email martin blinkhorn he is the one who is in charge of sorting out lhr ww and the temps, [email protected]

this is the email he sent me!!!

Simon passed me your email relating to whether we are due to recruit
temporary cabin crew into Worldwide this year. The number you quoted is not
a number I recognise, however it is currently the plan that we will be
recruiting temporary cabin crew late summer into the World Wide fleet.

We will aslo be transfering cabin crew from Eurofleet to Worldwide. These
decision have been taken to cover a period when we expect to be increasing
our worldwide main crew requirement, and then subsequently seeing a
reduction. We are still finalising the numbers. The number we take depends
on the pace of initiatives taking place and what happens to cabin crew
attendance during the summer.

Hope this is helpful

Best regards

Martin

sweety
28th Mar 2007, 09:02
Look, I'm going to ask a pretty obvious question: - If you are so unhappy at BA, why don't you leave? If you think that you are very hard done by, find another airline that will treat you so much better!? :) Easy! Ba will be happy and you will be happy, everyone will be happy! :confused: You don't have to suffer!

Guys little confussed.com :)
Just say I had to apply for the 6 months WWLHR Contract will I be kept on at LGW ? for one reason its good as i can do my training at LHR ( IF I GET THE JOB ) as I live close to Heathrow and then I don't mind flying from Gatwick .

I dont understand why does British Airways do this stupid 6 month contract for WW as there are loads of crew on EF who would like to do it (Permanent of course :) ). What is the problem in taking on more crew at LHREF and and moving crew up into worldwide ?As I don't work for BA this might be a stupid Question but from an out side observation all this does not make sense .

Smell the Coffee , cheers for your PM !!;)
Big Thank you ..

Dolley
28th Mar 2007, 10:33
Thanks for the reply, smellthecoffee and everybody else.
I was just nosey and didn't understand it at all but your information sheds a bit of light on it.
I have to say that it doesn't sound that great to work for BA (to me) and I'm surprised at this because I always thought they would be one of the great ones to work for...
Well, each to his own -as long as you BA people are happy :-)

lovethesky
28th Mar 2007, 14:02
sweety - people ar unhappy at ba because they make up the rules as the go along, and then move the goal posts and break them, ba have a habbit of upsetting its crew, i have worked for a few airlines and ba have to be the worst at looking after and recognising their staff.
the people and routes are fab , i love my job but wouldnt p*ss on ba if they were on fire

Flying_Sarah747
28th Mar 2007, 14:07
I think it seriously depends on what base you work at as to whether it's good or not to work for BA. Personally I love it, I don't think it could get much better, but that's cause I'm at LHR WW. I think it's a bit different down at SFG though. It's a shame that the company treats them so differently when we are in fact all the same company! Who knows what the future holds though? Things could well change up at LHR if the company get their way!

Smell the Coffee
28th Mar 2007, 16:10
I have to say that it doesn't sound that great to work for BA (to me)

This is just it, what was left of the 'get paid more to do less' airline has probably gone for good (I previously worked much harder for less money at a LCC).

I joined BA 2 years ago when they were recruiting for permanent LHREF crew; since about 1 year ago, permanent recruitment seems to have come to an end for the LHR base...it's not surprising given the very generous terms that people at this base are still enjoying today; unfortunately, Single Fleet is the way forward; it brings folk down at LGW more in line with what crew at most other airlines have already been doing for years...hard work for not as much money.....

I feel really sorry for the new recruits....I love it at BA, but that's partly because here at LHR we nightstop all over Europe, don't work overly hard and get paid rather well (anyone who disagrees needs a major reality check...or to show their rosters to anyone outside BA.... :eek: )

So if deciding whether to join BA on SF, take all of the above into account...I'm sure it's not the worst airline out there, but it may no longer be MUCH better than anyone else....still, there IS an opportunity to move up to LHR eventually and with it, to fly to many more destinations worldwide; I hear the LGW crew are a fab bunch (flown with a few ex-LGW peeps), and at least at EF LHR, we're also nice :}

Matt101
28th Mar 2007, 17:53
Essentially the reason they don't transfer EF into WW just for the summer is that - it would mean takig a large group offline to convert them twice (to and from WW) We had 300 temps last year could you imagine 300 people offline for a week to convert them - I think it would be costly and oeprationally challenging. So they take summer temps on direct into WW - they can only take temps on as there is an agreement with the Union that movement into that fleet only comes from transfers.

Anyway this from a horses mouth yesterday. "We have no plans to recruit directly to LHR for permanent contracts now or in the forseeable future. Rumours of a transfer hold for 2 years at SFG are not true it was a point that was never accepted as it was not operationally advantageous. The transfer list will open in October/Winter 2007 but speed of transfer relies on LHR Turnover. All permanent recruitment will be for LGW"

In addtion - we are moaning as it's a British passtime, and we are British Airways!! - the money at SFG isn't great but I know it's a fair bit more than the number 1's at Flybe get paid for example, and we work a lot less hard than all the other crew at Gatwick.

It's a great job - in fact I really enjoy it but If you are used to LHR BA wages it's hard to convert which is the real reason some of us are complaining.

Please don't be put off by our bit ching you'll enjoy yourlself loads online esp when you spend 2 or 3 days on the Hilton Resort Beach in Barbados just a stroll from your room in this wonderful Hotel and BA are paying for you to be there......

newbagr
28th Mar 2007, 18:14
matt..interesting ...does this come from a manager like that email we saw regarding the temps for the end of the summer??

Matt101
28th Mar 2007, 18:59
It's a Manager but I don't like to publsih names just in case. Was face to face rather than e-mail.

BA-FLY
28th Mar 2007, 21:12
I agree with matt , BA are one of the best airlines at LGW and i think BA take good care of us , thats just my oppinion anyway .

sweety
29th Mar 2007, 08:52
It's nice to read some positive input... otherwise new guys coming into BA will feel quite unwelcome and that wouldn't be very nice now, would it? ;)

bcnbarcelona
29th Mar 2007, 11:32
BA management have a careless atitude towards their cabin crew, good example is T&C'S a SFG. BA is the only airline that treat and pay diferently doing the same job. Be in Barbados is lovely but when you have to use all or even more than your daily allowances to buy your food ,you start seeing things in a diferent way,:= := := :=

TightSlot
29th Mar 2007, 13:09
BA is the only airline that treat and pay diferently doing the same job

Just FYI - at least one other UK airline does the same

bcnbarcelona
29th Mar 2007, 15:05
BA management on those days have a careless attitude towards their cabin crew mainly in LGW, the only answer when requesting improvements in ours T&C'S at LGW is" take or leave'.
BA is the only airline in this country that for the same job :cabin crew, offer diferent pay and conditions. even Ryanair offer same pay conditions to all their employees on ryaniar contract.
BA want to offer a flag airline service but paying us charter T&C'S in one word we are subsidising BA operations at SFG.:eek: :eek: :eek:
Do you know that many of us we are claiming tax credits allowances? do you know that many crew have second jobs to cope with bills ....:\ :\
I agree it is very nice to stay in Barbados, Bermuda etc. but let's be honest those places are extremelly expensive, and you will ending putting money from you pocket to be able to pay for your 3 meals.:= := :=
Why all this happened only at LGW? because only 1/3 third of the community belong to any of the unions and the company is aware of it.:= :=
My advise to current and future BA employees at single fleet PLEASE JOIN A UNION, we have tWo choices, find whic one suitS you , the day that half of our community or more is unionised and management is aware of it SFG will be a better place to work.
Our colleagues at LHR got the best T&C'S in the industry , why? because BASSA is the largest union on that base, have you ever thought what will happen if BASSA was in LGW as stronger as in LHR? maybe is time to have a tought about it:ok: :ok:

snxlou101
29th Mar 2007, 16:59
Matt101,

Sorry to burst your bubble but the agreement that we go into the Nsp is that we are frozen for transfers for two years.......This was confirmed to me by a union rep and to be honest I trust them more than Managers.

Our Seniority for the Nsp changed and it started from the 1st October 2006 that was another agreement.

Bassa did not want us in the Nsp because it would upset there members and that's why they made sure we didn't slot in with our seniority numbers.

I was told when I first joined that I was Lhr shorthaul got Lgw and was told I would be on 9500 with 500 allowances When I got Lgw was told I could transfer easy enough the reality...... 9000 with if I was lucky 300 allowances and in five years only 8 people have transfered.

If you do want to go to eurofleet I would leave when they open it up again and re join as this has always been quicker than waiting for transfers.

Sorry to be so blunt but this is the reality and people who have been at sfg for longer than 2 years will vouch this is the truth.

bcnbarcelona
29th Mar 2007, 18:51
Tighyslot, please can you let us know whic one, I couldnt find any during my research.

many thanks

Matt101
31st Mar 2007, 08:54
Hey I will wait to see if the Transfer list opens or not then, tp be honest I don't really rely on anything that anyone says until it happens - BA or Union - as both have misguided us over the past roller coaster few months.

To be honest my bubble wouldn't be burst as 2 years extra on top of the 8 (at least) I recon I'll have to wait makes very little diffrence - it's still a bloody long time - but there are a lot of people who joined having been told - 3 years and you'll be back - maybe wishful thinking but the thing is EOG crew may have been with BA longer but 1. never been in NSP (which may mean f all but who knows) and 2. - absolutely nobody knows what will happen with the transfers as this is a completely new fleet with new plans and supposedly will be the new recruits gateway to BA - I think anyone who puts their name down for WW is kidding themselves but I don't think EF is such a huge stretch.

But hey you may well be completely right and I totally don't mind bluntness - I am to :O !

As I say though love working LGW just we all want to earn more money so I would like to transfer eventually.

Russians don't get through the winter thinking it's goign to be long and hard they hope for it to be warm and short - I employ the same principle to get me thru when I pop to the job centre to apply for my working tax credits!

Hey ho I may go live in Dubai and sample a bit of Emirates instead. :ok:

Matt101
31st Mar 2007, 09:06
Something else I wanted to say to the posters who seem to hate ex LHR Temps - now I was one and I understand that the momaning from some of us is a pain - It annoys me to but think on this: how would SFG have flown the 777 without all those temps in October? - the legally required "expereinced" crew.

I mean obviously BA would have found a way but any other method would have been logistically complicated and more expensive - in actual fact the people who keep saying "you're lucky BA decided to give you a job at all after 6 months" are 1. being a little unkind to those of us that don't complain all flight and 2. Probably incorrect as I imagine BA always planned to use us to allow the fleet to operate.

Not atempting to be rude - unfortuantely text has no tone - but It really upsets me everytime I see this comment - after all we are all doign the same thing - trying to make a living.

YONGE
31st Mar 2007, 09:50
On Flyertalk that BA have bought 50 odd weekly slots from BMI at LHR for a rumoured £30 million. Reckon its the end of longhaul at LGw. Hope not!!!!:bored:

snxlou101
31st Mar 2007, 11:50
Matt,

No one hates the lhr temps it's the moaning we don't like. I have flown with a few that are moaning they have taken a pay cut they have been given a bad deal they were told a load of lies. And as you have just pointed out we owe you gratitude for working at sfg........

Humm me thinks not, the company would of done it with or without you so gratitude is not deserved, also everyone has put in alot of time and effort to get sfg under way not just ex lhr temps. I have flown with some lovely ex lhr temps one girl said they always knew they were coming to lgw and they also knew what the deal was.

Now this division is because you keep mentioning it and won't let it go... some ex lhr temps prefer to be part of a team and don't even mention it so i think you have a choice fit it or don't....... don't take comments on here to personally it could be one person flew with one ex lhr temp that was bad not all of them.

It's been since oct since we had ex lhr temps come over and the bad feeling has gone so just leave it that way......Maybe you should try emirates apparently they are a good airline...........

Matt101
1st Apr 2007, 13:10
Take a £9k drop in pay and try not to moan. I don't but I also don't think people are being unreasonable to highlight the diferences.

I think your post was not in the spirit of mine as I said I was trying not to be rude and if you think the comments onboard have stopped then you are wrong. I still get them when I haven't even mentioned LHR let alone mentioning that I was a LHR temp.

I didn't say you owe any gratitude - you presumed that. I said the company would have found it a lot more difficult without us in terms of having experienced crew onboard.

Not all people were told they were always coming to Gatwick we had one CCM to look after 300 of us plus his usual workload - the information was not free flowing.

Please try and stop being so defensive - and remember people have differing opinions to yours and are entitled to them.

Leave it at that shall we?:ok:

snxlou101
1st Apr 2007, 13:20
Matt,

How can you say everyone is entitled to their opinion and then say we will leave it at that?? Rest my case!!!!!!!!!

BA-FLY
1st Apr 2007, 13:50
Im joining BA in june and I use to fly for EeasyJet - now that was rough lol , great people but not really the ideal flying patterns as other airlines. I think its great that every one can give their oppinion and people can take it on board , all airlines have problems , it just takes time for others to work through their issues , as im not a BA insider yet (sorry for the cliche term) I cant really give an oppinion on BA at all but from the crew that i know who work for them I have been told its a great airline to work for.

Lets just keep positive and remember that we all work for the same airline no matter what fleet we are.

:)

snxlou101
1st Apr 2007, 14:05
Hi Ba-fly,

I like other people who come over from Easyjet as they have worked hard and they know how hard other airlines can work in comparison to us and I find they really love the nightstops as at some bases at Easyjet you don't get them.

You will love the base we have some really great people and some great nightstops.. I've had people who say they are sick of Anu and Iah and others and I want to bang there heads against the wall as what other jobs give's you the chance to visit these places.

Good luck with your training course...

ex cabin crew
1st Apr 2007, 14:18
Well said BA-FLY - I worked for easyjet for a while and yes the crew's were great and when I was there we had nightstops and 3 day trips but it was still really hard work. 6 sector days, split duties two nights on the trot (eg Glasgow split back in the morning then off to Nice for a split duty that night).

When I got the BA job offer to start this June the lady who called me explained the salary and contract details and confirmed the pay so I am totally aware of what I will be earning. I have a choice - I can start in June knowing full well what I will earn or I can go to another airline or do something else. As ex BA crew I know full well that I won't be earning anywhere near what I used to earn but again I have the choice to take it or not.

I suppose what I am trying to say is when people join BA they know what the deal is and accepting it is a choice we all have.

If however I start whinging on about the lack of money in 6 months time feel free to kick my butt.

snxlou101
1st Apr 2007, 14:24
Ex Cabin Crew,

I can honestly say that yes ok you won't be earning the money you were before it has got alot better in the three years I have been here.

We as crew are our own worst enemies for moaning and to put it into perspective we have 19yr olds at Lgw earning 1400 or around that and how many 19yr olds can say that!!!!!!

Good luck and look forward to flying with you.

speedmarque
1st Apr 2007, 15:16
Hi All

Hate to rain on BA-FLYs parade but I am afraid there will be little or no Long Haul expansion at LGW for the forseeable. POS has started and that is just a shuttle from BGI.

I think when you actually start at BA you will be in a better position to comment. I am not meaning to be harsh but you will end up misleading people if you say things on here that just aren't true.

Rightly or wrongly the future of BA expansion is at LHR.

In march the IAH, DFW and BDA are likely to "go up the road" to LHR leaving just "leisure" routes at LGW. If BA does decide to expand long haul it will be more shuttles from ANU and BGI rather than direct services and so you will not get to see the places.

Anyway, enjoy the training course. BA is a great airline to work for (especially at LHR where there will be transfer rights for you in the future). I wish you well.

snxlou101
1st Apr 2007, 15:50
Oh Dear,

Why your negativity gather your at the golden runaway???

there is loads of rumour's at the moment and to be honest we just don't know.... yes we will lose Iah, Dfw, Atl so be it you can have them.

Why would Ba put all the time and effort into creating sfg if it wasn't going to develop it??? All that crew it has employed and continues to employ.

Ba have known about the open skies for many years and has always had a back up plan.

Ok we lose Iah, Dfw and Atl, what are Ba going to do with the slots more shorthaul that doesn't make money???? Longhaul at lgw has been making money and if we get more leisure routes well roll on the beach!!!!!

No one is mis leading anyone by saying lgw is good base to work for.

Now I am in Ba @ Lgw and I prob know alot more than you by the sounds of it, I stand corrected if you can show me the facts on paper until then let us have our views and opinions and in the meantime stick to city breaks!!!!!!!

ex cabin crew
1st Apr 2007, 16:10
I agree snxlou101 - will be more than happy to do leisure routes - haven't had a proper suntan for many years :)

I think that what we are seeing at LGW is how LHR will be eventually. People at LHR on the current contract will leave through retirement, pay off's etc and eventually LHR will be on the same sort of contract as LGW. May take many years and a lot of pay off's but everyone has a price - I did 10 years ago when I took severance. Look at the LHR WW trips now and compare them to how they were back in the 80's and 90's - there's a big difference.

When I was LGW based back in the 90's most of us talked about what has now happened and at the time we said "doubt it will really happen" and it has!

snxlou101
1st Apr 2007, 16:25
Yeah your right ex cabin crew,

I had a very interesting conversation with a union rep and apparently Bassa never wanted us in the Nsp and The company did and it's because Bassa were trying to protect Lhr because now we are in the Nsp the company has A very big tool and that is.... If Lgw are doing it why can't you......

I think if you look at the current strike situation (not sure how much you know about it) the company has got all the demands in terms of operation Ie Fix links trials, Reducing Purser's etc and a lot of Lhr people are saying the deal is crap and in my opinion the company gained, so I think Lhr will become more cost effective but then again why not. The airline industry has changed and so does the carriers and also the staff........we are not the market we used to be!!!!

ex cabin crew
1st Apr 2007, 17:43
Interesting about the NSP - I did keep fairly up to date with the strike situation and can see it from both sides. If people have been employed on a certain contract they will understandably want to try to keep their terms and conditions but there again the company has to operate as a business. Having run my own business (not an airline of course but still a business) it is a constant battle at the moment to keep in operation. Other companies are always trying to charge less and keep costs low and you have to follow this trend to keep going. I am in the process of selling my business and it is not an easy task! Yes it would be nice for everyone to be paid a high wage and have amazing conditions but if it is at the cost of the business going under then nobody gains.

So I can see it from both sides - a happy balance has to be found to keep the company going and also keep staff employed.

speedmarque
1st Apr 2007, 18:29
Why your negativity gather your at the golden runaway???

Sorry, what?

No one is mis leading anyone by saying lgw is good base to work for.

Never said he/she was actually! Said he might be misleading about the new longhaul routes coming to LGW (of which there are none).
Please read posts thoroughly before commenting on them

:=

in the meantime stick to city breaks!!!!!!!

my original post was cordial and I wished him/her well. You feel the need to (try) and insult me and my fleet...........

Shame on you, you let yourself down there.

:=

snxlou101
1st Apr 2007, 18:50
Never said he/she was actually! Said he might be misleading about the new longhaul routes coming to LGW (of which there are none).

1/ Where is your proof? What will Lgw do with the extra slots maybe put them on shorthaul that isn't making nor losing a profit hummmm....

2/ I think you said the following: I think when you actually start at BA you will be in a better position to comment. I am not meaning to be harsh but you will end up misleading people if you say things on here that just aren't true.

3/ Sorry, what?: very sensitive think they call us Gatters but we don't mind!!!

4/ my original post was cordial and I wished him/her well. You feel the need to (try) and insult me and my fleet.......... ohhhh even more sensitive why would I want to insult your fleet when you had in fact just announced the death of out fleet.

I have a lot of good friends at the golden runaway and I am all in support of them and their fleet However tell me I am lowering myself when you stop getting involved with issues to do with our Fleet - unless that is you show me the hard fact's and not just galley fm gossip.

BA-FLY
1st Apr 2007, 19:13
Ok think we all need to calm down , I was just stating that we all work for the same name , i dont understand why every one has to have the last word. But i do understand why LGW crew get defensive over their base , I know many crew at LGW and have been on trips with them as a crew tag on and i think its a bloody brilliant base with excellent crew. Personally i cant see how LGW would loose its long haul services , they seem to make profit for the comp and thats the most important thing at the end of the day.

snxlou101
1st Apr 2007, 19:31
My sentiments exactly,

Thing is same name completely different bases, we are a vibrant bunch at Lgw and try and remain positive and it's annoying when people think they know the whole ins and outs through listening to galley fm.

speedmarque
1st Apr 2007, 19:41
when you had in fact just announced the death of out fleet.

When did I say that? Are we participating in the same thread because you seem to be reading stuff thats not in the one I can see.

Frankly you are now making a fool of yourself.

By the way I was many years at LGW, love the fleet and people so have lots of experience on the subject. I also have many friends there now and my info is based on fact........not Galley FM.

You need to look up "insecure" in the dictionary and take note methinks!

Enjoy having the last word (as I am sure you will have to) I will however be getting on with my life............................will you?

:ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

snxlou101
1st Apr 2007, 19:46
Yes I will............ but where are the facts???????????????????????? your still unable to produce them so therefore I will put it down to galley fm.... enjoy your new t and c's

newbagr
1st Apr 2007, 20:30
Can I ask how old you two are?! Cos to me you sound like teenagers who have a fight!I am annoyed with both crew at LHR trying to present crew at LGW like they somewhat better because they were just lucky to get thru the same interview like we did and just got a course for LHR! At the same time , it bugs me when fellow crew at LGW are trying to protect that S*it that wiilie walsh has made and call it Single Fleet Gatwick! Why can we not see that the only winner in this situation is the company?! They are saving millions out of us and the petty money they are giving us!To new starters, I would say ...welcome and I hope you enjoy your new career but please dont try to explain what BA does! Welcome to a company that never makes sense!One day they might recruit hundreds and next day you might find a department up for sale! IT CAN HAPPEN!Willie Walsh has the guts to do whatever he feels is right for the boards pocket! He can set LGW to be in profit and then quickly sell it! I dont want this to happen but I dont think it is impossible! I agree the US routes as BA has officially now stated will go up the road and now that BA seem to have bought 51 slots at LHR then they dont need to replace anything.Personally , I think the T's and C's are just unbelievable! 9 days off in a month which can be reduced if you got annual leave...blocks of 6 with longhaul to finish and then 2 days off followed by early start or double! Need I say more?! Why can we not see the problems and do something about it united instead of bickering like children?!

TightSlot
1st Apr 2007, 20:44
Why can we not see the problems and do something about it united instead of bickering like children?!

Good point!

BA-FLY
1st Apr 2007, 20:55
Very true :)

snxlou101
2nd Apr 2007, 20:05
newbagr,

I am indeed Lgw and what gets me is someone from Lhr who comes on here and makes assumption's about routes and what where losing and gaining.

Yes we will lose Iah, Atl, and Dfw but I've had word from senior management that these routes will be replaced.

Now yes we are getting another port of spain but this means 6&7 day trips which we have not had before. Oh and 5 day trips to Bgi.

Also the point I was making was this person from Lhr could not prove what they where saying or provide a valuable argument for slot's etc.

We have to many scare mongers at Lgw and I would hate for people not to come here because of them.

Yes ww can make a profit and sell us but this if this happens nothing we can do about it.

banewboi
5th Apr 2007, 08:33
i am not going to argue with anyone i am simply going to point out something i see as hugely, staring you in the face obvious:

lhr is full (except these new slots)
lgw has 2 flights a day to iah
a 3rd flight 3 days a week
daily to atl, dfw, mco, bda
twice daily to bgi
4 per week to kin
5 per week to tpa

this totals 54 flights a week so i would presume i've made a miscalculation somewhere and it is actually 52 (the rumoured number of purchased slots)

this could easily mean the end of lgw lh, however looking at ba's history and the global picture: ba bought bcal (under pressure from the government) no matter what the price so britain had a single flag carrier and so ba had a lgw presence.

why would ba give lgw up? it would give any of the other carriers a huge opportunity from march next year to set up an entirely new transatlantic hub at lgw, ba will never give up lgw because it would give someone else too much of an opportunty.

as for all this rubbish about t5 and consolidating the business etc etc, when t5 opens ba is already too big to be accomodated, and has said the bilateral flights (ib and qs) will be housed in t3 with the other oneworld carriers, why would they try to cram even more in, would they even fit?
where would the a\c go?

why do routes even have to be moved from lhr to lgw, why can't we have entirely new routes or even relaunch some?

give us some of those nice new 787s in the a/c order and stick your fingers firmly in vs's pie, bring back havana, and rio, stick a dubai in for good measure and a nice little jfk. lgw has space, the man power and the energy to meet and overcome anything ba throw at us. lhr and lgw are the same company, it doesn't feel like it some times and i don't know why the company and the unions have perpetuated such negative feelings in the fleets but we are one company.

why can't people at lhr see the opportunity lgw can offer them, we do it cheap so why not send the less lucrative routes to lgw, we will make more of a profit because our cost base is lower, why not send us the nau, ok so it's a 767 but so is the man jfk, a/c can move and we can be trained so why not give us them both, ba's sfg is a huge opportunity for the company they really aren't going to throw it all away now.

snxlou101
5th Apr 2007, 19:16
banewboi,

The debate you provide is a very good one and I'm pleased to see a crew member looking at the facts instead of rumors.

We had a talk with a very senior management and to be honest they said exactly what your saying, they were not expecting the open skies to go ahead as soon as what it did and to be honest what we know today could change tommorow.

It's an interesting point about the slots and how many there is but maybe the open skies has saved Lgw in a way because Ba will not want to have a big carrier at Lgw doing rival routes at very low fares (because of cost base).

Lgw has spent alot of money in order to save alot of money (15million) ie: training recruitment and to be honest the base is the best I've seen it anyway.

Another thing to remember about t5 is it's not another runaway it's a terminal and this in itself does not create slots, yes it's bought some off bmi but I think Ba was panicking when the agreement was reached and wanted to make sure it had a even bigger share of market.

The next six months i'm sure will be very interesting and a lot of change and with that comes alot of rumors, but it's a case of wait and see really and at the end of the day if we were not used to change we would be in the worst business ever.

Thanks for your constructive look on the situation.

Blastoderm
6th Apr 2007, 01:28
Hi,

I was just wondering whether anyone could provide me with an insight into the role / responsibilities of a CCM?

I'd be particularly interested to know how the role is perceived / received by CC and would value any information regarding key challenges as seen from your perspective.

I should clarify that I do not currently work for BA but have an interest in this position.

PM's are welcomed.

Thanks

HZ123
6th Apr 2007, 07:34
FYI T5 is going to create many problems as it has been over engineered and the BA project management teams in place a number of whom I know are running around like headless chickens at this time. Many of the key people involved are contracters and many of us at LHR have grave fears as it will not be able to offer or service the supposed levels of customer service. it is already to small with many systems in place that are not up to the task. LGW will continue as when 5 opens it will take 4 to 5 years to sort it out. The majority of the systems are web based / archord and e.g presently the automated rostering system 0n most days shows people that actually have retired to the extent that 40 short a shift is the norm. Once LGW gets its new short haul fleet of EMB 190 you will have better kit than LHR shorthaul so the future is bright there.
Finally the runway 3 project is as far away as it ever was Ferovial have no intention of spending money and the air pollution levels at the proposed area for the runway are some of the worst in the EU. Happy Easter

pips
12th Apr 2007, 17:32
who do you think you are lgw not good enough for you,
well i would like to wish you well but with comments like that i wont,
at least i have a job with ba ,

sosmix
13th Apr 2007, 11:18
I can't find another post on here about this - sorry if there is - but BA are recruiting permanent cabin crew direct into LHR shorthaul!!! :} so much for never doing that again!

flybee
13th Apr 2007, 11:33
sorry to say this but it isn't permanent, it says...commercial!!

sosmix
13th Apr 2007, 12:16
what does 'commercial' mean??:confused:

sosmix
13th Apr 2007, 12:51
Have just called BA recruitment about the 'commercial' word in the advert. The lady said it 'doesn't mean anything' - bit strange! But main thing is that she said the position definately is permanent.

wobblybluejelly
13th Apr 2007, 13:54
It definately is permanant.

This recruitment drive was expected as

1) 50+ LHR EF Crew are being offered secondments to LHR WW
2) There is a initiatitive happening right now were existing LHR EF crew are being given the oppertunity to get promoted to Purser roles, thus creating the space for new recruits.

The competition is going to be fierce with a lot of internal candiates from areas such as LGW and indeed other areas (job was advertised last week for them) vying for the few spaces going at LHR. And by all accounts, due to the large number of expected applicants the pre application screening is going to be ruthless.

Unfortunately, those who applied to LGW a few months ago cannot reapply and I'm sure many people are kicking themselves now as it is well know that LHR is a goldmine in terms of salary for crew.

The big question now is should one hold out for LHR WW (temp or perm) basis or go with LHR EF which itself is an excellent job?

lovethesky
13th Apr 2007, 14:28
rumour is that temps at lhr ww wont happen now. due to openskies deal with routes coming from long haul gatwick to lhr ww. have heard that they are considering recruiting temps into gatwick
more crew will be needed permantley at lhr ww, so recruitment is being done through euro. xfers from sfg to euro as well.
if u want a perm job with ba then go 4 it, dont hold out for temps incase it dont happen.
i feel sorry for the crew at sfg who have been screwed over agin, they werre told that all xfers to lhr would be taken from sfg and all new crew to lgw.

aussiebird
13th Apr 2007, 15:48
Hiya just read your post about permanant BA long-haul staff. Do you know where we can find information about this? Just looked at the BA website and have found nothing.

sosmix
13th Apr 2007, 16:14
Hi aussiebird, the vacancy is for LHR shorthaul crew, not longhaul (but applying to shorthaul at LHR is a very good way to get into longhaul LHR - may take a few years though). Is on britishairwaysjobs.com.

Smell the Coffee
13th Apr 2007, 23:04
Well I'm shocked :eek: :eek: They are actually asking the public to come and join at LHR.....given the LHR folk are on much more generous ££££ I would have thought BA would have avoided signing more people on there.
For people outside BA that have worked for charter or easyJet etc......BA shorthaul LHR = very little work, many £££££. (Ok, not every day is like that, and you'll have to get used to waiting for buses :} ).
Good luck to all.

superairhostess
15th Apr 2007, 08:02
Hi all I m at LGW SFG .Is there any chance for me to apply for the job at LHR?

lovethesky
15th Apr 2007, 08:37
no im afriad not, you can only transfer froma transfer list if you are already crew.
if you quit sfg u will have to wait 6 months b4 reapllying to ba.

superairhostess
15th Apr 2007, 22:09
Cheers:ouch:

Matt101
16th Apr 2007, 10:57
Don't know what makes me more angry the fact that I believed them or the fact that only last week!!!!!!! A manager told a whole bunch of us that they wouldn't do this (perm LHR recruitment) - I am absolutely furious.

Anyway good luck to all those who apply I Imagine it will be a fiercely faught competition as there can't be that many spaces?

I'm off to write to a manager and ask them why they have such difficulty with honesty.:ugh:

japanair
16th Apr 2007, 17:56
on the ba application form it says give employment history in reverse chronological order.........maybe i,m wrong but is that most recent first???? When i do it that way it reverses them to my first job first and most recent last????? Anyone an idea?

bcnbarcelona
16th Apr 2007, 18:54
Hi supperhostess

I spoke with bassa at LHR regarding resignation and reapply straight away, Bassa got confirmation from manpower that we dont have to wait 6 months to reapply however is not guarantee at all that we will have interviews or the job if we manage to be shortlisted for the interviews. BA will look up to detail your file, not lates for report, not sickness ..bla, bla.).

I hope that information will help you.

The best we can do is complaint to our unions & managment regarding this recruitment at SH LHR.

Regards,

kikko
16th Apr 2007, 21:50
Hi there, I have got friends who have done exatlly that as they were tired of waiting for transfer etc.
They resigned a applied again, one of them straight away and the other 2 left it for a couple of months (to give more plauseble answers to the fact they resigned) All of them were invisted for interview ....hoever non of them got the job and did,t get through the 2to1 interview.....might just be a conicidence...I doubt very much so. My advice is whatever you do be prepare not to be re-employed by BA in other word work on B plan.
Good luck anyway.

snxlou101
17th Apr 2007, 10:14
Has the interview selection changed because you always did the group exercise and then the interview and it was based on the whole event. It was never a case of getting through to the 1-2-1 interview.

Just curious if this has changed.

snxlou101
17th Apr 2007, 10:22
Hi all,

It is for some very disappointing news about the lhr recruitment however i had a very interesting conversation with management (someone who knows and doesn't assume) and they haven't even decided if the three routes are going up the road, however it's more than likely the Houston will but nothing has been decided.

If we were to lose these routes they said then transfer's will happen but number's depend on routes.

What you have to remember is yes we could lose the route but if we don't lose the planes then we will get other routes.

However on the note of transfers, there is a lot of ex citiflyer who have been dying to go to lhr but haven't had the chance, when they merged they where told they would have to wait for all the old lgw ex eog guys to transfer.

This has been an on going problem that has faced lgw people really wanting to trans then they open up a recruitment drive for lhr. They have always done it and it's cheaper to train one crew from scratch than to take people off line and converse them.

On a brighter note apparently it is only 50 people and it is to cover purser's and csd's getting made up so who know's.

Matt101
17th Apr 2007, 11:16
Hi guys RE: 6 month thing that gets spoken about if you read the application framework it says you cannot have "applied for this position in the past 6 months" so if you quit and reapply be sure that it has been at least 6 months as you could be putting yourself up for a fall at the first hurdle - it probably means applied and failed but I should seek clarification first if I were you.

RE the whole thing I just had an e-mail back from STS - very open and honest actually - the TU's and company need to sit down and agree a transfer freamework to include LGW before the transfers can actually begin. As the recent dispute has put things behind the Unions have yet to actually table this issue yet - about time LGW got put first and this issue was addressed I feel.

Either way they had an operational need for new crew ASAP so external was the only way forward.

HZ123
17th Apr 2007, 11:18
To answer some of these concerns re route transfers to LHR there is no-one in any doubt on the T5 team that we will be barely able to handle the flights we already have. 757's (13) will all go to T3 indefinetely as will a number of the 'Oneworld' partners as there is no more space at T5. That said if the routes do move that cannot be for at least a couple of years or unless we pull out of a number of longhaul routes. At present there is only one daily longhaul route that we may abandon soon.

DECOFLY
19th Apr 2007, 10:47
Help, I received an email from BA saying they were offering me employment. However I have received another e-mail in these lines,

"At present, there are no further courses available for Cabin Crew at Gatwick Airport. We are currently recruiting for Eurofleet (Shorthaul) at Heathrow.
If you wish to be considered for the Eurofleet position please contact us to move you into the Holdpool for Eurofleet Heathrow.
If you do not want to be considered and wish to stay in the Hold Pool for Gatwick, should any future dates arise, please also contact us on the email address below. Your application is valid for 12months from your interview date.
Please note this email address is for this purpose only and not for queries or enquiries. Emails will NOT be responded to.
Kind regards
B A Recruitment"

I don't understand, what do I do, what are the goods and bads of this, does it mean I no longer have an offer? Any input will be appreciate.:confused: :{

sweety
19th Apr 2007, 11:41
You are fine, you still have an offer valid. It just means that until they know new course dates you will be on hold. They will let you know. Also, you can go for LHR, I think that's wonderful to those who regretted going for LGW in a first place? Call it a compensation. A little birdie told me that next courses in LGW will be in September but that's not confirmed.:)

DECOFLY
19th Apr 2007, 12:54
Thank you, such a nice possitive post, I have hope now. All the best to you

japanair
20th Apr 2007, 08:26
Hey Guys!!!

Has anyone got an interview yet with BA for EF LHR? Heard a few people have!

b77
21st Apr 2007, 15:21
Hi Guys,

i got a job with BA, applied for LGW, unfortunately i got an e-mail a week ago from Recruitment stating that there were no more courses at LGW, they gave us a choice to transfer to EF LHR which i did, (hope i made the right choice) so i am just looking forward to getting my starting date.

I have never worked for an airline before, quite a few people have said that the training is very hard, could some of you tell me what exacly the training entails?

Thanks a lot

wingswest
22nd Apr 2007, 03:16
The training at BA is very good, the trainers are very professional, relaxed and patient. Also BA have excellent training facilities....,so you should not find it too difficult to do the training.....,especially as you have the motivation that several weeks down the track, you'll be 'spreading your wings' and travelling Europe and getting pretty well paid for it.

Working here is not always all a bed of roses, no large company is..., but I CAN tell you that BA is by far the best airline I have worked for (out of 5) and you will more than likely love the work and the opportunities to move fleets, progress etc....I love it still and I've been with them for 13 years!

Best of luck with your course and welcome!!

b77
22nd Apr 2007, 11:51
wingswest, thanks a lot for your info, i so want this job, i'll give my 101%, i think it's just change of career and starting new job so a bit nervous.

I am looking forward to get my two wings and fly with you all!!!!!!

chicane19
24th Apr 2007, 10:32
Hi everyone!

I also got that email last week and also answered that I wish to go to LHREF :} !!!.

But, waiting for further news is driving me crazy :\

If anyone receives any phone call or any email, pls let us now!.

By the way, I went for the lgw interviews on april the 10th, morning shift. Is there anybody else reading this forum that went that day for it?

Good luck for all of us!!!

DECOFLY
24th Apr 2007, 18:39
Tell me about it, I'm going insane, walking up the walls and all:{ :sad: . I was on the 5th of April interview and I received the offer on Friday the 13th, no course date yet, no calls yet, no other e-mail saying they made a mistake and I should report to fly right away :}

b77
24th Apr 2007, 20:00
Hi All,

i got my congratulation e-mail on Friday 13th but had my interview in March. dont take this as certan, but i was told by somebody that they will start phoning ppl offering dates for LHR training from next week or the week after, this is only what i heard!!!! pls dont take it for granted

i am going insane myself i just want that phone call:ugh:

lulutinkerbell
24th Apr 2007, 20:37
Hi
In reply to earlier question, I have got an interview for EF LHR this week. Am worrying about freezing and panicking on day duringthe interview! Any advice would be welcome.

missworld21
25th Apr 2007, 09:55
Hi guys,

I am in the process of applying for a position with BA, LHR EF and wsa hoping i could get some tips on the application process, what they look for in your application etc. I' d really appreciate te help, i've never worked for an airline before but have a degree and lots of people/service experience.

thanks so much, look forward to your response! :)

japanair
25th Apr 2007, 13:37
Hey Guys,

Just wondering about BA interviews. I submitted my application on the 17th and my partner on the 19th. He got an interview date today yet I am still waiting a few of my friends are in the same boat!!! Does anyone know if this means a NO or is it that they just havent got to my application?????

Capricorn1
25th Apr 2007, 14:06
Hi Japanair
I also submitted my application on 17th and have heard nothing as yet. Fingers crossed eh!! When is your partner's assessment?

japanair
25th Apr 2007, 14:15
Its sometime next week!!! he has to choose a date........getting so nervous now.....keep running to the internet every 2 minutes to see if they have replied. Dont know how they are responding doesnt seem to be any order to it!! Let me know if u get an answer!

Capricorn1
25th Apr 2007, 14:19
Hi Japanair
Yes, same here, keep checking my emails. Next week doesn't leave a lot of time to prepare for an assessment, scary!!
I'll let you know when I hear from them, best of luck.:)

japanair
25th Apr 2007, 17:35
Can anyone tell me what capability matrix means??? Is it good???

Capricorn1
25th Apr 2007, 17:51
Hi
Capability matrix sounds the same as what we have at my current workplace, we call it a skills matrix, or sometimes a competency matrix. It has a list of skills required for the job, and at interview the interviewer scores you from say 1-5 on how you match the skills required. Then at the end all your scores are added up and compared against other candidates. Its meant to be a fair way of assessing people. Its used at my work for shortlisting and during interviews. Hope this helps.

luksy
25th Apr 2007, 18:01
Hi capricorn1

What you said is most probably true, but I do not believe BA compares the skills of one candidate with the skills of another. If you reach the level that's required, you're in.

l.

japanair
25th Apr 2007, 18:04
It says this at the end of my application it has just appeared now. its also on my partners application and he got an interview but I`m still waiting:(

Capricorn1
25th Apr 2007, 21:01
I would guess they have started looking at your application against the matrix. I haven't got it on my application yet, it looks the same as when I submitted it. I hope we will hear tomorrow, I'm getting impatient!

Hubbly
26th Apr 2007, 10:05
There seems to be some response on the lack of transfers from SFG to LHR.

FOr those of you who have expressed your disdain at this, here is a little ditty of which you may now be aware....

As many of you are by now aware, British Airways are recruiting internally and externally in to EF LHR.

BASSA believes that YOU should have been offered an opportunity for some of you to have the ability to transfer to this base if you so wished, within the opportunities and choice framework that has been agreed by BOTH BASSA and British Airways.

As BA and BASSA have had NO meetings on manpower moves since November 06 (see BASSA news article BA and BASSA meetings), this appears a classic “smash and grab” situation, where some of the managers are blatantly ignoring the agreement whilst no meetings are held.

There seems to be a few managers within BA, who are still hell bent on confrontation, despite both sides agreed approach to have better working relationships.

We have asked to have an emergency manpower meeting, as the ballot has now closed and cannot be used as a convenient obstruction to hold talks.

We will, as ever, keep you fully informed via BASSA news.

I have chosen to post this here as it is also posted on other non-union(BA) forums.

One question for the crew member at LGW with the forum name SX-------?

You claim to have worked at SFG for 3 years in several of your threads. Can you please clarify HOW you managed to work at SFG before it was even setup(It will only be 1 year old in October 2007). It has had me confused for quite sometime. My understanding is that you may have been Gatwick based at EOG prior to SFG being started am I wrong in my assumption?

snxlou101
26th Apr 2007, 12:32
I've looked through all of my previous thread's and No where can I find the exact words of I've been working for sfg for 3 years.

Yes i have been @lgw for three yrs

schwing1
26th Apr 2007, 16:23
can anyone tell me what the interview process is like? I had an interview with ba a few years back just wondering if it had changed at all?
Thanks

schwing1
26th Apr 2007, 16:45
Thanks for that. Still in the process of completing my application form, taking my time over the 5 questions!!
Im glad its still only a morning or afternoon interview then and not a full day!

snxlou101
26th Apr 2007, 16:56
If I can give you any advice then it would be this:

Really prepare your answer's for the interview stage i:e customer service questions think about when you have given excellent customer service but also when there has been bad customer service what did you do and how did the customer feel.

Also they may ask when you have had to handle conflict again what did you do and what was the outcome and it's all question's like that if it hasn't changed since I had mine.

Always turn a negative into a positive and use words like team work, valuing other's, respect and recognition they love these.

Good luck

japanair
26th Apr 2007, 23:37
Lads My Application Has Still Not Been Prossesed. Others After My Application Have Got An Interview. I Applied On 17th Of April.......is Anyone In The Same Position . I`m Going Out Of My Mind!!!

Hubbly
27th Apr 2007, 00:28
Best of Luck to all who apply and even more luck to those of you who are successful enough to get an interview.
The process is simple, what it requires is a lot of different examples to the same type of questions. All those answers are based on your past expereiences.
Questions are based on working as part of a team and what made it good, or what made it bad?
What would you describe as good customer service and what would you describe as bad? give examples of both....
These sort of questions.
It is also best of you to get some knowledge of issues facing BA at the mo, they will probably have a question or two on your BA knowledge and this will be covered in this.
In the Group exercise you'll need to show how you work as part of a team, just be proactive and also don't forget to listen.
Don't forget to relax and try to be yourself, this is really what they are looking for.
Best of luck to you all....BA are a good company to work for. No matter where you are based, you will have a lot of fun, but be prepared to work. It's not the holiday camp that some would have you believe...those days are long gone.:)

Capricorn1
27th Apr 2007, 08:06
Hi Japanair
Just to say my application has changed today from "no capablility matrix results found" to "capability matrix" which makes me think they've started looking at it now, probably same as yours did 2 days ago. So the process is clearly quite slow, they must have loads to get through. Just hang on in there, I'll let you know if I hear anything.
Capricorn1

jetgirl_99
27th Apr 2007, 15:17
What date did you pick? I'm on the 18th June course for EFLHR. So excited now!

emboogie
27th Apr 2007, 17:28
to Scottishtrollylad
just want to know when you had your interview as i went for LWG and also got asked if i wanted to be placed in holdpool for LHR Eurofleet which i accepted:) but no phone call!!!:confused:

poorleno
27th Apr 2007, 18:59
HI Emboogie,

I to was offered LGW and moved to the LHR Hold Pool and no phone call today either! :eek:
My interview was on the 28th March, when was yours?

It will be a long wait over the weekend, but at least we know we aren't the only ones and have been missed off! I am just getting more worried as I have to give a lot of notice for my work and don't want to miss out on the training course because work won't let me go! oh the dilemma I so want this.

chicane19
27th Apr 2007, 19:36
Hi guys

My interview was on april 10th and don't have any news yet.
Don't worry mates, we're gonna be fine, it's a serious company, we'll all get our phonecalls :bored: .
But it's nice to see that I'm not the only one in such desperation!!:E.

Good luck for everyone!!:ok:

poorleno
27th Apr 2007, 20:04
Cheers Chicane19

It is nice to know we aren't the only ones! I know we will get there, lets hope Monday we are swapping start dates. I think I am going to have a nice glass of wine now! x

b77
27th Apr 2007, 20:16
Hi Guys,

hang in there, you will get your phonecall on Monday, they offered me 18th or 25th June, you can choose which one you want to attend, have a large glass of wine its just a matter of hours before you get that phonecall. :ok:

teacoffee
28th Apr 2007, 05:59
Hi all,
submitted my application on 19 April & still haven't heard anything. I know people who have applied after & already have heard? Is anyone else still waiting?
Maybe I'm just being impatient but thought I would have heard one way or another-maybe they are just inundated at the moment?
Fingers crossed anyway!!

Capricorn1
28th Apr 2007, 07:52
Hi teacoffee
I submitted my application on 17th April and haven't heard. I know they are booking interviews for others & I'd hoped to hear one way or another by yesterday (Fri) but didn't. I guess no news is good news at this stage, they don't seem to be responding in order of dates. Let us know if you hear anything won't you. Fingers crossed for all those waiting.:)
Capricorn1

emboogie
28th Apr 2007, 09:37
Hi guys thanks for the replys!!!
I had my interview on one of the last days i think the 30th March
so they are proberly going down the list as you say:) dont like wishing the weekend away but role on Monday!!!!
Hope to see you(s) on the training course
Im also in the same place that i have to hand in a lot of notice to my current job but hopefully they will understand:\

Capricorn1
28th Apr 2007, 10:54
Hi everyone
I know some BA crew work part-time but does anyone know anything about it, e.g. is it an automatic right that cabin crew can apply for part time, is there a waiting list, how long before you can apply? etc. etc. Any info anyone has would be really useful.
Many thanks in advance
Capricorn1

apaddyinuk
28th Apr 2007, 12:12
Hi Capricorn.

The part time list reopens every two years or so. I believe it is opening up again this September and then it is a case of waiting as your seniority number within rank is called up next. I personally have been waiting almost 2 years for 75% and seriously doubt I will get it for another 6 or 7 years though!

Capricorn1
28th Apr 2007, 18:45
Thanks very much for that. I had hoped that it was an easier process than that, especially with more employers offering flexible working and worklife balance, etc. I may have to rethink my application as I'd hoped I might be able to work part time at some stage. Thanks for the info.
Capricorn1

snxlou101
29th Apr 2007, 14:58
Hi,

It all depends on which base you have been offered as the waiting list is alot longer at lhr, I know some people have just been offered part time at lgw after only been here for a year.

For all of you who are waiting for courses give recruitment a call just to see if they have any information

Smell the Coffee
29th Apr 2007, 22:51
Overtime is usually available, but there is limited availability; you need at least 3 days off; you can request overtime for your 1st and last days off; it is a first come first served system (within your rank). Pay is quite good - you will be paid normal allowances + per hour overtime payment (approx £17-20 per hour). So you can see that it can be quite lucrative to get a long day's work on overtime i.e. Moscow or Athens.

Regarding part-time lists, I hear that part-time is much easier to acheive whilst on shorthaul at LHR (have no idea about LGW)....seniority on Worldwide is so high that should you decide to transfer to Jumbos you can kiss goodbye to getting part-time.....:eek:

jamesfly
30th Apr 2007, 08:02
From Paddington you have two options really......go via tube which takes forever or use the heathrow express.

Crew can get this for £130 pound a month (used to be £110)

You would then get the 111 or the 105 from the Central Bus Station at heathrow to the Compass Centre or one of the BA staff shuttles there.

The only problem is that the Heathrow Express is not a 24/7 and the first 5.10 morning departure does not get you in on time for the first report.

You could also use the Night Bus service, but its not fun or clean when you have to share it with tramps and late night clubbers wreaking of alcohol and kebabs! lol

Capricorn1
30th Apr 2007, 08:49
Hi
Just to let you know that I heard this am that my application was unsuccessful. I've got an assessment for CSA at LHR in May though so I'm not as disappointed as I might be. Just fingers crossed for that.
Hope you two hear some good news soon. :) :)
Capricorn1

teacoffee
30th Apr 2007, 09:09
Hi There

Sorry to hear that but good luck with the other job.
I am feeling that after this time I will be unsuccessful too but will let you know.

1stClass
30th Apr 2007, 09:44
Hi new to this forum

Just wondering has anyone been to an assessment day for LHR last week? My friend went and is waiting on news as to whether she got the job or not. If anyone heard anything it would be nice to know so I can tell her to stop the panic because she hasn't heard yet. I'm sure there are lots of you in the same position.

emboogie
30th Apr 2007, 11:59
Hello does anyone out there know if the training course for ba cabin crew is a monday to friday thing or is it like the job any time any day!!!!!!:}

kikko
30th Apr 2007, 11:59
hi there,

could you tell us a bit about the assessment? what was the group exercise and 2to1. I am sure your friend shared that with you....

and if anybodyelse has been pleeeeese let us know..

and by the way good luck to everybody...the ones they're waiting for a ..YES YOU GOT IT!!... and the ones who will be going soon.:)

Capricorn1
30th Apr 2007, 15:34
Hi Emboogie
I believe BA CC training is Mon-Fri, 9-5 but it can finish a little earlier sometimes.
Hope that helps.
Capricorn1

keeperboy
30th Apr 2007, 17:56
AMS-LHR with your experience (or anyone with customer contact experience) you have just as much chance of getting the job as someone flying for 20 years. BA does value previous airline experience but above all they are more intent on getting the 'right' people as everyone has to do a training course anyway.

The group interview is just all about how you interact with others. They are looking for all the usual things but be concious of your body language also. Eye contact, face people when you talk to them, acknowledge everyone in the group. And of course the obvious: follow the instructions the selectors give you, don't speak over anyone etc.

The 2-on-1 interview is highly scenario based with questions similar to (or some the same as) the ones in the online application form although if the question is one the same as the application form they will ask for a different example from you than the one you provided online.

Obviously they are looking for someone customer orientated. Also be sure to mention teamwork. They ask a lot about 'negative' experiences also. for example 'tell us about a time when you messed something up for a customer' or 'tell us about a time you didnt get along with a work colleague'. Don't be afraid to tell them about mistakes you have made (obviously don't tell them any BIG ones). These questions are centred around a resolution. You messed up, but how you resolved it in the end and turned it around to satisfy the customer.

Good luck!

peterlondon
30th Apr 2007, 20:57
i was recently accepted for gatwick. i was gutted when i didnt get the temp contract for heathrow last year so was very happy to be accepted for gatwick, i couldnt really beleive the low wages because i know people who work for ba who seem to manage, but having studied this site and the helpful remarks on it it seems that gatwick isnt really viable for someone living and renting in london, i was going for the job for the travel to be honest, but i think if you have a decent job and want to travel you might actually see more more of the world keeping a living wage and ryanairing it for weekends abroad. i have to say that the online support and inforamtion i received from cabin crew i have never even met was amazingly generous and informative, but i think gatwick is not for me, im a bit disheartened that people who applied at the same time as me but booked later interview dates have been offerd jobs at heathrow because the training course at gatwick are now full, so if id booked a later interview id be on a higher wage and closer to home cos id have been placed at heathrow after all..ah well..im glad i was offered the job anyway, proves that BA dont discriminate on age at least, though seem inflexible on where they place you even when there are vacacncies at both airports..for any applicants going for interviews at heathrow for european short haul my tips are be smiley and freindly, the interviewers are very nice, have lots of examples about providing a good customer service, working out of hours, and also resolving conflict in the workplace with colleagues, also about how you take criticism during supervision, also the group exercise is deceptively easy, but i failed on this once, the knack is listening to other people rather than talking over them i think, remembering peoples names and using it when you speak to them, contribrute but dont be pushy and talk over peolpe, but dont sit there shy...good luck to everyone who secures an interview at heathrow, and thanks again to all teh crew who share tips on this forum. peter:ok:

lulutinkerbell
1st May 2007, 10:09
IstClass - I went for interview last week and I have not heard either. Tell her I am panicking too. No idea when to expect news. I check my mails all the time. Maybe I should stop doing that.

chicane19
1st May 2007, 11:57
Hi everyone, specially emboogie and poorleno,

Guys, have you had your phonecalls yet?
I'm still waiting for mine, and it seems is gonna take forever!!:confused:

These days I'm off, and time goes by so slowly:{

I hope we'll get them soon, otherwise I'm gonna cut my veins in desperation (spanish saying).

Best of luck to everyone:)

emboogie
1st May 2007, 12:09
Thankyou for replys, great help:) :D

emboogie
1st May 2007, 12:19
Hello Im still in Limbo as well, No phone call as yet! but I did email them which they replied saying should get a phone call within the next two weeks:D will Let you know when i hear anything!!!!!;)

P.S to peter, i do consider my self VERY LUCKY that i got the choice of either LGW or EFLHR when I applied for LGW i guess as the saying goes in the right place at the right time:\ !!!!

keeperboy
1st May 2007, 12:32
LOL you will discover that everything in BA is about being in the right place at the right time.

emboogie
1st May 2007, 12:38
Thats funny i like that !!!!:D

BA Boi
2nd May 2007, 01:10
look, sometimes BA can take a while to get back to you - don't get paranoid about this.

IT'S NORMAL.

good luck to all of you.

and if you get offered LHR over LGW - TAKE IT.

LGW is supposed to be a fantastic base to work out of - the crew are supposed to be a scream, but you will get ALOT more money at LHR and be INFINITELY more secure in your job at LHR. the agreements are ALOT more restrictive and PROTECTIVE at LHR.

again, good luck boys and girls!

Capricorn1
2nd May 2007, 18:33
Hi
Apologies if this is not the correct forum but does anyone know what the BA CSA uniform consists of? Or where I could post this?
Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back from applications, assessments.
Capricorn1 :) :)

emboogie
3rd May 2007, 20:02
Hello scottishtrollylad hoping to be on the 18th of june course thats if its not full as im still waiting on a phone call:)

Capricorn1
4th May 2007, 08:55
Hi there
Have you heard back yet? As I previously posted I didn't get shortlisted this time but still wondering if any of you guys did. I do hope so.
Best wishes:)
Capricorn1

japanair
5th May 2007, 14:05
Hey Capricorn1,

Very strange, havent heard anything yet......apparently they are still calling for interviews so not really sure to be honest.....its still not a no so fingers crossed!

Capricorn1
5th May 2007, 15:22
Hey Japanair
I'd take that as a good thing, no news is good news and all that. They def would've said by now if it was a def no. The recruitment campaign looks to have finished, the ad has gone from their website, so maybe they are just waiting to see the quality of the last applications that came in y'day (closing date) before they send out the final assessment invitations. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you & hope the patience pays off.
Capricorn1 :)

Bear132
5th May 2007, 18:07
Hi Guys,

I heard that BA are recruiting LHR Short Haul - Is this true cos i looked on website but no vacancies showing.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

xx

Capricorn1
5th May 2007, 18:09
Hi Bear132
The closing date was 4th May so it looks like the current campaign has now ended. It was running for around a month I think. Shame you missed out.
Capricorn1

Bear132
5th May 2007, 18:38
Thanks Capricorn1 for your info.

I'll keep checking the website for it opening up again

x

apaddyinuk
5th May 2007, 23:34
Hehe... Oh AMS-LHR....

How does one describe Cranebank???

Well I believe it was built in the 60's in the very cubist, functional and unimaginative style which was the fashion of the time...and to be rather honest, it does not look like much has changed in the years since. It is actually a rather dreary old place. Having said that, when you get into the SEP Building where the warehouse is that houses the Mockups you will be like a child in some wonderful playground!!!

And enjoy your "Last flight as a passenger"!!!! Ill say no more!!! :oh:

emboogie
6th May 2007, 12:34
Hello AMS-LHR good luck for your interview
for advise all i can say is dress smart be yourself, SMILE!!!!
Prepare prepare prepare on what questions you'll be asked about your experience(s) which i think you,ll have a few under your belt being in the ambulance service:confused: :) . Also enjoy even if you are a uncontrolable wreck with nerves as i was (rescue remedy) my savour although i did overdose on it!!!!!!!:O

b77
6th May 2007, 20:44
Hi scottishtrollylad

I am on your course, i cant wait now!!!

kikko
6th May 2007, 20:54
I have booked an interview with BA, but I still haven't got the reference form to bring to the interview, they haven't sent it as an attachment...all they have sent is the workability sheet. Does anyone know where to retrieve it from? It seems like they should send us an email just for that but I haven't received it yet.

thanks

b77
6th May 2007, 21:07
hi kikko

sorry if i have misunderstand you, just back home so not 100%, anyhow they didnt e-mail me at all. you need to log in on ba's website and fill in the form.