PDA

View Full Version : British Airways - Wannabes & Recruitment

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

6th May 2007, 21:13
They should send you an email saying you need to fill in the 5 year work history thing which will be put on you submitted application on the ba recruitment site. I only got mine the day before my interveiw, but if you dont get it, dont worry cos at the interveiw they ask if you have been sent it.

lulutinkerbell
7th May 2007, 09:29
I heard on Friday that I have been successful for EF LHR. :D

I am obviously totally delighted but having read here for the past few weeks am cautious about a possible start date. At the interview they re-iterated several times that it could be between 2-6 months and NOT to give in my notice until I get a start date. That is a bit scary! Also when I read the e-mail more closely it says my application is valid for 12 months.......... I do hope I dont expire!!!! They sign off with "We hope to be incontact with you shortly"...........'HOPE!!'.......:eek:

Any one with inside info have any idea what the actual timescale may be?

Thanks
L

lulutinkerbell
7th May 2007, 19:45
Hi Ams, It seemed like ages. It was exactly one week.

Good luck with your interview. They e-mailed me. Everything seems to be done on-line now. Shame the interview wasnt! :)

Make sure you look really smart and prepare all your answers. Take notice of everything that happens during the session as you will be asked questions which you do not expect! Act as natural as possible. Not too much of this..... "and what do you think so-and-so" when you are around the table doing the team exercise, although you should take notice of people and listen to what is being said, it sounds too contrived and patronising if you keep refering to people by name every single time you speak to them.

Just be yourself.
Good luck!

L

flyer55
7th May 2007, 19:54
Just been reading all your postings are the New entrant courses for ef lhr still going ahead ? Reason asking as am crew at LGW for BA and have been on the transfer list for over 4 years to transfer and hear that the cabin crew unions are getting involved and give lgw crew priority to the vacances!

The Moo
7th May 2007, 20:21
Sad thing is that when
SFG was neg nothing was aggreed with regards to future transfers to lhr and currently there is no agreement to allow transfers and all current trans/opps choice lists are invalid. It's all wrong and unfair but thats the way BA works

newbagr
7th May 2007, 21:08
i am sorry flyer55 i am gatwick based and read the announcement that bassa made about the current recruitment campaign at LHR. they only agreed to do 2 transfer courses so up to 50 people to keep everyone happy so courses of new entrants are still going ahead propably 50 less vacancies and 50 more at LGW... i know its not fair but BA always find the way to keep their crew demoralised:-)

Pax Agent
7th May 2007, 21:57
without being biased BA are openng a choices transfer list in OCT (as planned) for LGWFS crew to join.
In the meantime they are transfering approx 50 people from LGW and BASSA are now calling for the list to open ASAP if there are vacancies.
I think that some of the peeps waiting for LHR may end up being offered LGW as it seems we are desperate for crew....they are asking us to work on our rest day at the min....good for the £££ but not for the :zzz:

Turroncin
7th May 2007, 22:30
Well there are two LHR courses in June that have already been dished out to applicants that originally applied to LGW but then they ran out of courses there.... maybe the easiest way to go lgw-lhr is just to apply again?

As for LHR applicants to be offered LGW that just isnt happening considering what I just said....if LGW are in dire need of crew, why not just use those who actually applied for LGW? Apparently there are LHR courses in June, July, August and Sept.

kikko
8th May 2007, 09:45
I got e mail today asking me to log on my ba application and to fill in the reference form. I booked my interview on saturday and then i just received a confirmation of my booking but on the on line applciation nothing had appeared regarding reference....Now it's all sorted.

thanks

flyer55
8th May 2007, 12:37
Will be interesting too see what clauses they agree for the crew wishing to transfer . Yes it is de-motivating for the existing crew when BA does this !

b77
8th May 2007, 12:46
Kikko

Good Luck m8, break a leg!!!!:ok:

missworld21
8th May 2007, 13:06
Hi there!

was just wondering to all you new LHR sh candidates how long after applying did you hear if you were being invited to interview? thanks guys! look forward to your reply! :) X

emboogie
8th May 2007, 13:14
Hello missworld21 i got a email about seven days later :)

emboogie
8th May 2007, 15:50
have you heard anything yet????:ugh:

lulutinkerbell
8th May 2007, 16:15
To Turroncin :

Are the courses at LHR you refer to in June-Sept already allocated - or is it possible I may be offered one of those? Just wondering as trying to get my head round a long wait.

A friend who got check in, in December was only allocated a course in April, so a long wait seems to be across the board.
Thanks
L

Jabejaha
8th May 2007, 16:17
Hey all, and to Miss World, I applied on the 27th April and only got the invitation to interview today. However, when I logged on to book my interview, there were no slots available, so I'm not sure what is happening. I called recruitment but they weren't too sure and said they'd get back to me. Hmmm, wonder if it's a case of waiting for people to cancel!

poorleno
8th May 2007, 16:37
Hi Emboogie,

I was offered a course for June today, which I can't do because of work. So back in the hold pool. New courses rumored, but not confirmed. I think they are working there way through slowly. When I actually think about it logically it makes sense and because of the union I guess everything has to be done in the correct way. I just hope i havn't blown my chance :ugh: but as they are still interviewing they must want to recruit lots of people so I am sure we will get in soon. I think we will all hear when the new courses are 100% confirmed.,

emboogie
8th May 2007, 17:04
hello poorleno thats a shame you had to turn down the course because of your work, three months is a bloody long time to give notice i thought four weeks was long enough. Im sure they understand your situation have you asked them that you need a lot of advance untill you get your course date because of your notice as usually the average is 4 weeks:)
welcome back into the swimming pool with me and the other fishes just hope we dont drown:( x

poorleno
8th May 2007, 17:15
I hope we don't drown to:hmm: !! Lets hope we are not treading water to much longer! 3 months is nightmare, my current company is a really small one and the type of job I do there is no one to cover me, so I do think they will hold me to the whole 3 months unfortunetly. :* Hopefully BA will give me the notice now, and are aware, they are really nice when you do get to speak to them. I think even if they do not give me 3 months warning, I will go for it next time. Couldn't bare to not do this job.

Do you know how many people train at once?

poorleno
8th May 2007, 17:18
I will be so pleased when we do hear, maybe I can stop checking the forum so obbessivly to see if anyone has news. ;)

emboogie
8th May 2007, 17:49
i know what you mean about checking the forum its become a drug HOW SAD!! maybe if they offer you the next course and yet again its not enough notice ask if they can confirm another date further a field or just say yes and leave your current job but that way it might be a problem with the ref they will give BA? i can totally understand what a bloody dialema this is for you.

i dont know if this is the case as i have no clue in this area or the job you do but i thought you had to give a weeks notice of every year you have been employed by them and over a certain amount of years i think 4 years its only up to four weeks notice???:ugh:

as for how many in training courses in my current job there was only 19 people in my course, others have been up to 25 so can vary!!!!:)

poorleno
8th May 2007, 19:08
Thanks Emboogie, I will look into that. and where I stand. I think I will just tell my boss what the score is, and to expect resignation sometime. That way they might not hold me to the full 3 months. I am just to dam nice sometimes and hate to leave peole in the lurch. Must think of myself, and stop obbesssing especially with this site lol:8

pink27
8th May 2007, 19:50
I'm away to start with BA but am not getting a uniform fitting. They phoned me today and left a message asking them to get back to them with my sizes. I usually take a size 8 but would sometimes (depending on brand) need to take a 10. Does anybody know if the BA sizes are made small, large or just average. It's sometime so hard to tell as my size really depends on where the item is from! If anyone can give any advice on the sizing I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

MancRed
9th May 2007, 00:00
For me the new ( well was once ) Julian Mcdonald uniform is a small fit, hope this helps.
Jarvis.

The Moo
9th May 2007, 10:20
If you are normally an 8 go for a size 6 the womens uniforms are bigger than standard dress sizes. If you are a male go up a size ie. 34 in go for 36 as the mens come up small ( well thats my excuse )

apaddyinuk
9th May 2007, 12:09
Guys and Gals, when it comes to the uniform do not be in a rush the day you want to pick it up.

There is no system to the sizes despite some of the postings.

You will want to try on ALL items of the uniform just to make sure everything fits. All my trousers, jackets and service jackets are all the same size but the indicated size on the labels differ completely! I think they are sown on by blind people to be honest!

And just from experience, give yourself an extra inch or so around the waist, you will bloat onboard and it gets very uncomfortable!

9th May 2007, 17:07
Waist Coats for Gentlemen and Lady Crew is only worn during the service. Never worn under the Jacket.

flylondon
9th May 2007, 19:18
Hi Guys. I applied to BA LHR SH on the 26th of April and still have not heard anything. Does this mean I have been unsuccesful in application process or they are very busy at the moment? I keep checking my e-mail again and again :) It has been a habit now :)

9th May 2007, 23:05
The novelty of waist coat will wear off... fast. although most people wear it through out the flight. You just dont wear it when walking in terminals, for boarding, take off ect... the jumper is nice to wear!

Marti06
10th May 2007, 15:02
Hi,

I'm looking for some kind person to answer a few questions who may be currently working on the eurofleet out of Heathrow. I currently for Qantas out of Heathrow, I have been since January.
I've just been called by BA and been offered a training course in August on eurofleet Heathrow. Really just looking to find a few things out;
- Whats the money like, what can I realistically expect to take home each month.
- Whats the rosters like? How many days on/off
- Is it easy bidding for trips? How many days can I expect to be away. The reason I ask this is because I live in Crawley and at the moment only have to commute to and from Heathrow once a week. Can I expect to have to travel everyday to Heathrow.
- The waiting list for longhaul, how long is it?

Oh and just one final thing, is there a website that ba crew advertise house sharing on? Thinking maybe Windsor could be a potential move at some point.

Thank you to whoever has the time.

Marti06
10th May 2007, 15:09
Hi,

I'm looking for some kind person to answer a few questions who may be currently working on the eurofleet out of Heathrow. I currently for Qantas out of Heathrow, I have been since January.
I've just been called by BA and been offered a training course in August on eurofleet Heathrow. Really just looking to find a few things out;
- Whats the money like, what can I realistically expect to take home each month.
- Whats the rosters like? How many days on/off
- Is it easy bidding for trips? How many days can I expect to be away. The reason I ask this is because I live in Crawley and at the moment only have to commute to and from Heathrow once a week. Can I expect to have to travel everyday to Heathrow.
- The waiting list for longhaul, how long is it?

Oh and just one final thing, is there a website that ba crew advertise house sharing on? Thinking maybe Windsor could be a potential move at some point.

Thank you to whoever has the time.

changes2007
10th May 2007, 15:26
There is a thread called 'rostas' showing a typical months rosta for BA I think out of LHR. It's busy. I was interested in the Virgin one but hope this helps you?

emboogie
10th May 2007, 16:00
hello well done for getting job and training course :) have no answers to your questions posted, but was just wondering when did you have your interview:}

peterlondon
10th May 2007, 18:32
hopefuly you will get a message from cabin crew, i just applied for the job but decided to turn it down, but a mate who is working at gatwick said he was making 1000 to 1300 a month, you cant bid for flights at heathrow, you can at gatwick, but the pay is lower, the waiting list for lh can be up to 10 years, he said he gets about 5 to 8 overnight stays a month. i was accepted for gatwick but when i found out some aplliccants had got heathrow i asked if i could be transferred they said no, then rung me to say yes, then rung me again to say no!:ugh: good luck with your new career though mate

Pax Agent
10th May 2007, 19:18
Hi guys....expected pay @ LGW is £1050 to £1450 per month after taxes.
That all depends on how heavy handed you are with your crew card and how you bid!
The lower figure is generally on the month when you have your leave if it's all in one block. Last month I had £1358, this and the next month will clear £1400.
Just info for you!

BA Boi
11th May 2007, 11:57
Marti06,

here's a few answers to your questions:

money: i'm on longhaul now, but during my last whole year on shorthaul at LHR my gross earnings were just a couple of quid under £26,500. so if you take an average over that 12 month period you would be grossing about £2208.33p per month. knock off about 23% of that for nat. ins; income tax; pension and union fees to get your take home pay. obviously, whatever you spend on your crewcard (used to get money out of hotels downroute) you would take off your take home pay. the average for shorthaul is about £100-£200 per month, but obviously that does vary from person to person. however don't forget that you can self-fund if you want to and just keep crewcard for emergencies.

rosters: guaranteed 10 days off per month every month except february where it's 9 days. you can bid for trips and days off. generally the system does give you what you want, however some months you wont get much of what you ask for. but generally speaking, the majority of the time you do end up with a good roster if you nail the bidding system down. mix of trips include there and backs (london/paris/london); double days (london/edinbrugh/london/glasgow/london); split duties (i.e. less than minimum rest nightstop in, say, frankfurt. usually the last flight out of london to that destination and the first flight back in from there the next day); two day trips (i.e. amsterdam nightstop); three day trips (i.e. lisbon one night, copenhagen the next) and standovers (a three day trip but with the middle day free of duty such as in bucharest; athens; larnaca; helsinki and one or two others that change each month). you nightstop in about 32 cities accross europe on shorthaul.
generally you can expect to be away from home for about 4-7 nights per month - sometimes less, sometimes more.
there are plenty of crew who commute from far greater distances than crawley on shorthaul. leeds and birmingham are just two of many places that crew that i've worked with live. brighton and devon are others.

transfer: there will be a transfer list opening in october/november this year (opens once every two years) to put your name down for longhaul. however, it will take some time to achieve that transfer. expect to wait around 2 1/2 or more than likely 3-3 1/2 years for that. however longhaul at heathrow will be growing at a substantial rate from next spring onwards for a good few years with new destinations and more aircraft etc so you may not have to wait that long afterall, as they will need crew to man that expansion.

accommodation: no accommodation website that i'm aware of, but in cranebank and compass centre there are loads of notice boards advertising accommodation for crew in shared housing with other crew etc. so you won't be short of options there if you do decide to move out of crawley. as you mentioned windsor is a very popular location for crew on shorthaul.

i really do strongly, strongly advise you to accept that training course for august - you won't regret it.

hope any of this helps.

Marti06
11th May 2007, 13:29
BA Boi,

Thank you so much for answering those questions.

1stClass
11th May 2007, 14:45
Hi my friend found out she got the job and I have an interview. I would love to work for BA but have got kids so could I bid for things that don't involve nightstops if I didn't want them and weekends off. What would be the chances of not getting nightstops. I don't know how it works at BA if people are bidding for trips then that should work to my advantage or is that not how the bidding works?

Smell the Coffee
11th May 2007, 15:39
Marti, average take home on EF is roughly £1500/1600 - that's for a full month's work. BA Boi has answered your questions pretty damn well, take his advice & mine and just join up.... :)

1stclass, your chances of not getting any nightstops at all are 99% provided you don't request them; the majority of crew DO want nightstops so there&backs as we call them are 10 a penny...you might get the odd split duty, but chances are you'll be able to get rid of it if you request a swap.

MissApproach
11th May 2007, 16:15
Hi everyone,

Are BA still recruiting for cabin crew?
I have just logged on to britishairwaysjobs and they do not seem to be advertising for cabin crew.
If they are still recruiting, could someone point me in the right direction please?

Thank you in advance
MissA

1stClass
11th May 2007, 17:54
Thanks for the reply smell the coffee sounds like a company for me then. I thought that might be the case as most crew love nightstops.

Anyone know if you often get 4 sector days aswell

MissA sorry to say that the current recruitment is closed now but sign up for job alerts on ba.com/careers and see what happens. Hope that helps.

emboogie
11th May 2007, 18:57
Hello to one and all just want to shout out with glee that i finally got THE phone call from BA:D today!!!!!!!!!!
got asked if i wanted to be on the 18th or 25th of JUNE so must be still places on those two, I gladly chose the 25th training course
IM SOOOOO HAPPY:) :D :) (can you tell:rolleyes: )
well good luck to all those who have interviews and for those who are swimming around in the pool i hope the phone call comes soon!!!!!

poorleno
11th May 2007, 19:08
Congratulations emboogie! I knew I had a good feeling about today. What fantastic news for you. YOu can celebrate this weekend:} Hooray!

Smell the Coffee
11th May 2007, 20:08
1stclass,

You might get the odd 4-sector day (perhaps 1 a month or less); you can also bid to avoid these if you want...but a Moscow or Istanbul will result in an equally long day, so it's swings and roundabouts!

lulutinkerbell
12th May 2007, 11:00
I am waiting patiently for a call or email about a course for EF LHR. Does anyone have any idea at all of a timescale? I heard I had the job about 2 weeks ago so I realise it is early days yet.

If anyone can give me a light at the end of the tunnel about the possibility of a course hopefully this summer I would be grateful. I have told lots of people about the job and feel it isnt real at the moment.

Thanks
Lulu

poorleno
12th May 2007, 12:05
Hi Lulu,

Hang in there. I think they are confirming more courses at the moment. I know what you mean it isn't real. I had my job offer on the 12th APril, and have been in a hold pool. A few people heard on Friday. SO hopefully next week we will hear. I know its a mare when all your friends and family keep asking you when you are starting etc.

flybee
12th May 2007, 13:10
last week i got accepted with virgin and have an interview with BA. what if i got BA too. What shall i do??!!

Capricorn1
12th May 2007, 14:31
Hi Flybee
I haven't worked for either but I've been to interviews at both. Personally I would def go with BA from what I know about the company. Hope you are fortunate enough to make that decision.
Any other views??!
Capricorn1

flybee
12th May 2007, 20:25
actually i got BMED as well but turned them down for virgin. actually one part of me hopes not getting the job and the other part....well u can imagine
i think virgin is a better company to work for in terms of fun, staff travel (unbeatable worldwide), 30% reduction with all virgin brands....endless benefits and the destinations are just fab. one of the best i guess.
and BA...better money and maybe better for the future (if you see urself doing that for a very long time), but staff travel isn't so amazing and less fun in general (from what ive heared)
well lets see what happens and maybe the decision will be made for me :hmm:

keeperboy
13th May 2007, 10:47
I guess in terms of 'fun' you will have to read both the virgin and ba threads to see which is the one for you.
Just a couple things to point out though:
1) staff travel benefits don't pay the rent or mortgage (but if you living at home or sharing and money isnt a problem its cool).
2) try and get an idea of how many crew leave VS to go to BA and v.v.
From the BA side, in 5 years I don't know of anyone thats left BA (LHR) to go to VS (tho i do know of a cheeky boy who got sacked from BA and went to VS :O ) On the flipside i've flown with many that have come from virgin to join BA.
Here are the latest 'manpower' figures:
Recruitment into BA
Single Fleet Gatwick = 44 permanent june
LHR eurofleet = 176 permanent heads apr-aug
GLA eurofleet = 18 heads temporary
LHR long-haul - 286 heads temporary Aug - Jan (many re-deployed from BA scotland).
Transfers within BA
LHR euro - LHR WW = 141 permanent jul - jan
LGW SFG - LHR euro = 20
LHR eurofleet will also be operating some B767 long-haul routes in month of June (and probably also JUL & AUG) due to LHR worldwide being short of crew. Details and routes to be discussed at a meeting between BA and unions on 14th.

Rolac
13th May 2007, 14:46
Hi everibody;

Thanks to Marti06 for make the main questions and to BABoi for respond so :ok: about conditions of Short Haul or Eurofleet at LHR, I think is the same, isn´t?.

I am one of the people who pass the interview for LGW and later received the offer to join LHR Eurofleet.

Do you know if BA has the right to transfer you again to LGW and change again your job and money conditions.:confused:

Than you very much.

If anyone want to know something about Iberia write, I´m still working there.;)

Rolac

Pax Agent
13th May 2007, 16:32
yes BA can change your base to meet their needs. Your contract is to work for BA and whilst the base is stated it can be changed to suit.

emboogie
13th May 2007, 21:15
Hello just thought to let you know like poorleno did. The time scale I had to wait! Got email about them placing me into a hold pool on the 19th of April and Friday just gone 11th of May recieved the phone call from them offering a course date?? hope that helps a bit with the wait:bored:

BA Boi
14th May 2007, 00:14
hi there Rolac,

yes, in theory, BA can move you to whatever fleet or base that they want to within your first 2 years of employment with them. but after that time BA has to respect your choice of fleet and/or base.

HOWEVER

i have never heard of this happening within the last 9/10 years. if you do join eurofleet at heathrow as permanent cabin crew (which is what they are recruiting for at the moment), it's 99.9% guaranteed that you will remain there for that 2 year period.

the only time that you really have to worry about being moved to another fleet/base is if you join the company as temporary cabin crew.

MancRed
14th May 2007, 13:09
Hi ,anyone have any info on typical flight pay and expenses for LHR WW

lulutinkerbell
14th May 2007, 15:16
:)

Thank you for that helpful info. I am a new entrant direct to LHR EF, am I right in thinking you both applied to LGW and were offered LHR?

I was made very aware both during my interview and at the presentation afterwards that WE MUST NOT give in our notice until we have a firm course date. They made it sound quite scary. I realise now they are having to accommodate all the LGW people first.

If I only have to wait about a month before I hear then that is good news. I am starting to expect a 6+ month wait!

I just want to get started.
Am worried now about the smoke hood. My daughter who is CC said she ripped off her gold necklace in a frantic effort to get the hood off after her turn. She said people were hyperventilating etc.

I realise the value of this exercise but I am not looking forward to it thats for sure!

Here's hoping for some news soon.

Lulu

vodkaholic
14th May 2007, 15:26
Lulu, i also hate the smoke hoods...but during the smoke filled cabin exercise it is not real smoke. it is the theatrical smoke they use in the theatres, so even if you did not have a smoke hood on you could breathe. i am pretty sure this is the same for every airline (correct me if i'm wrong!!). also, at our airlines, the smoke hoods we use in training are duds. there is no oxygen in them, therefore you breathe by little holes in the neck.
it is terrifying, if you don't like confined spaces like myself. however, it is all in the head. and if you prepare yourself mentally for the exercise then you will be fine.
of course, if you ever had ot use them onboard, i'm sure adrenalin would kick in and you wouldnt even think about it.

lulutinkerbell
14th May 2007, 15:30
Yes I agree. I am good at psyching myself up so would have to for this exercise.

Thanks for that info. Appreciate it.
Lulu

emboogie
14th May 2007, 16:35
Hello does anybody know how long you have to wait or how you go about booking leave after your training course? Is it a loooooong wait??:{

To lulu i think your right about going through LGW lot first before they give dates to all that applied for LHREF being your interview was 29th march and mine being the 30th of march?
i applied for LGW and got the very lucky choice of choosing which base i would like:ok:
i have heard there are courses in july as well as august and the fact they are still given interviews it might not be a long wait???? (well i hope for you anyway):)

The Cribbys
14th May 2007, 20:36
I applied for LHR SH on 3rd May and received my Congratulations email on the 5th. Am in the hold pool and have heard nothing to date. I worked on shorthaul as a temp last summer and can honestly say I had the best of times. Night stops in Rome Barcelona Nice and Madrid etc were fantastic. The training course is quite hard and I was very worried about wearing the smoke hood but when it came to it I was so caught up in doing the exercise correct that I forgot it was on! The worst part was visiting Hounslow swimming pool and getting into a life raft ...but that's another story. Lulutinkerbell please let me know if you gat a start date and I'll post if I hear anything.

keeperboy
15th May 2007, 09:44
Hey guys. For those of you waiting for your start date don't stress. You will find out soon. There is loadsa stuff going on behind the scenes. It is quite a science balancing the 'manpower' needs of cabin crew at BA between the fleets. Trying to make sure all fleets are fully crewed and not some with too many/too few crew.

At the moment crew on the LHR short-haul transfer list to LHR long-haul are getting called up for their course dates, which are in July and August. So I guess they will be wanting the new recruits online to replace the guys going to longhaul. So my guess is, once training sort out the course dates for the fleet transfers, they will be sorting the course dates for the new recruits also!

Matt101
15th May 2007, 10:05
Hey keeperboy do you know if they will be sending us any crew at LGW or is Rest Day working and being called out for everyday of standby goign to be a permanent fixture of the fleet. Just I've finsihsed a 6 and 7 day block and one is rather knackered..

Good luck to you all inthe holding pool - I'm sure you will find out eventually I had to wait nearly a year but things are very different at the moment so I'm sure you will hear much much sooner. Do heed the advice of not giving in your notice though and keep a check on whether your references could do with chasing. I had to go and put one in front of an ex boss who kept "losing it" bad experience.

P.S. to keeperboy I see you have 20 heads being transfered from SFG, where's your info from as they are telling us nothing about transfers other than to wait and see what comes out of the talks with the Unions - mind you a week before LHR EF opened up some were still telling us they wouldn't open it up so who knows!

missworld21
15th May 2007, 12:31
Hey guys!

applied for LHR EF but still waiting to hear :( is anyone else still waiting to hear if they have an interview?

Matt101
15th May 2007, 14:15
Is standby for LHR not dual base. You cannot get called to operate a LGW flight - we only need 3 crew to man a flight at Gatwick anyway so I'm sure they'd just pay us an allowance and send us off with 2 if they had to lol.

I know there was a time when LGW WW could be called to report at LGW then go up to do a LHR flight but with such different contracts and working arrangements in place I think those days are well gone.

speedmarque
15th May 2007, 16:33
On 0505 standby a few weeks back a whole crew were called out for a LHR-LGW-PSA-LGW-LHR.

speedmarque
15th May 2007, 21:17
Have done a couple of empty sectors but it is rare. More common (once a month or so) you may position out or back from somewhere. This is where you fly as a passenger. Thanks to our union agreements we HAVE to travel in Club Europe/World so its very nice!

lovethesky
15th May 2007, 22:10
i would have imagened that lhr - lgw was done via the m25. in 2 years at ba i have never taken an empty aircraft anywhere

keeperboy
16th May 2007, 06:29
LHR EF crew could do a flight out of LGW but criteria has to be met. Firstly, BA would need to get alleviation from the union. And secondly, any flight you operate from LGW will be to LHR EF agreements (ie allowences, hour etc). Just the same as when LHR EF crew sometimes operate LHR WW flights on the 767.

speedmarque
16th May 2007, 07:57
Hi Lovethesky

The LHR-LGW and LGW-LHR was flown empty. The a/c was an A319. Allowances were LHR as crew were and the "trip" started and ended at LHR.

Cheers

japanair
16th May 2007, 13:17
Hey guys,

Just got an interview with BA. My partner attended a few weeks ago and had a group exercise and interview. My invitation says that I have to attend a group assesment followed by a short written exam! I havent heard this before anyone know anything???

b77
16th May 2007, 13:29
Hi Japanair

Sorry i dont know anything about written exam????:\ Good Luck m8!!!

could someone tell me where i can buy comfy shoes????

lulutinkerbell
16th May 2007, 14:24
To Japanair

The applicants for PSU (Ground Staff) have to do a written test I think, in the form of psychometric testing. Maybe you got the wrong email sent?

The interview procedure for Cabin Crew does not include a written test, unless its changed in the last week.

I would look into it with BA recruitment.

Well done for getting some sort of interview though!:) If you get through we can welcome you to the ranks of those of us patiently awaiting further instruction!

edited to add......actually on thinking about it, the invitation doesnt actually specify exactly what will happen and I do seem to remember wondering if I would get the written test also.

Lulu

teacoffee
16th May 2007, 14:45
Wouldnt worry mine said the same too!
Good luck :)

schwing1
16th May 2007, 17:23
Ive got an interview also and my invite says there is a written test too!

flyinghigh81
16th May 2007, 17:51
I had an interview with BA couple of weeks ago and there is NO written test! the email covers all vacancies so everything you may have in an interview. For cabin crew you go in, get measured and sit in a crew sit and do harness up, have a group exercise, 2 to 1 interview and presentation about BA (tho not neccessarily in that exact order). Try and be relaxed (easier said than done I know) and if you get stuck and your mind goes blank in your 2 to 1 just admit it and take your time! And GOOD LUCK!
I'm just waiting for my start date.......its driving me mad......

Smell the Coffee
16th May 2007, 19:46
There is a lot of movement between fleets going on at the moment, especially between LHR long-haul and Eurofleet - this may partly explain why successful applicants may not get a start date immediately.

There are a lot of courses being organized at the moment, bear with us! :ok:

japanair
16th May 2007, 20:51
Thanks guys,

Was worried I got wrong e mail or applied for the wrong position. I,m waiting nearly a month for the interview and really really really want the job! Good luck to everyone else!

The Cribbys
16th May 2007, 21:43
Ams -Lhr

Had my interview 3 weeks ago. As previously stated they measure your height and then see if you can fit into a crew harness. Last year when I went for the interview there were 8 people in the group discussion but this year only 4. It all depends on how many people they have for assessment that morning/afternoon. It is VERY important that you remember who was in the discussion with you and what role you thought you played in the exercise ie what you contributed. I worked as a temp last year and am awaiting a course date at the moment. I would advise you to think of as many examples as possible of good customer service, when you've been thrown in at the deep end, how you take criticism etc etc. Good Luck;)

Capricorn1
17th May 2007, 09:00
Great to hear you were both shortlisted, and good luck with your assessments.
I has my assesment for CSA at LHR last week and was successful. I start training in 3 weeks!
Capricorn1

Smell the Coffee
18th May 2007, 06:21
737s are based at LGW, therefore LHR entrants will never fly the 737...just as well, they are old & knackered and ideally should have been replaced.

speedmarque
18th May 2007, 08:24
Just announced. 14 A319 to replace oldest 737 at LGW. First step to having AN ALL AIRBUS shorthaul fleet at LGW and LHR!

Airbus seems to be the future of shorthaul at BA.

HZ123
18th May 2007, 08:28
BA's fleet at LGW are 737's I believe about 18 of them. They only make rare visits to LHR and are due for replacement but this is dependant on the future of LGW.

18 May, 2007 Adjust font size:

BA makes first step towards single short haul fleet

British Airways has ordered eight $66 million Airbus A320 short haul aircraft for delivery in 2008-2010.

The A320 order is the first step towards a single short haul fleet across the carrier's network.

The airline will also upgrade the Gatwick short haul fleet by replacing the oldest 14 Boeing 737s with Airbus A319s.

The airline has a fleet of 67 short haul Airbus aircraft. The order will boost numbers to 79 aircraft.

BA chief executive Willie Walsh said: "We've made considerable progress at Gatwick, particularly on costs.

chrissy78
18th May 2007, 09:47
:)HI EVERYONE,
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN AND IF BA WILL RECRUIT AGAIN SOON?
TA:confused::confused::confused:

The Cribbys
18th May 2007, 09:57
Hi. The group discussion was the same both times. It's about allocating compensation to people who have complaints about their holidays. It might have changed. I don't think there is a right/wrong answer, it's to see how you work as a team and under pressure. Whatever you do don't take over but don't be a shrinking violet either!! I personally preferred it when the discussion group was larger but it doesn't make any difference really.

I felt that the intervierwers were really friendly people and wanted you to do well, so they try and put you at ease. If a question stumps you just ask them to come back to it. I did this on one of mine (how do you feel about change and give an example) and they were fine about it. I got the job (well I'm in the hold pool is that the same thing!!!) and waiting and waiting for a course date.

All the best for next week. You'll be a star:D

lovethesky
18th May 2007, 09:58
who knows, with lots of new crew coming fromm internal applicatnts!!

the mose recent recruitment campaign was the first for over a year

trolleylad
18th May 2007, 11:54
BA have 33 737's at LGW, a mixture of 300/400/500.

Todays news about the 14 x A319's is a blessing, as our biggest complaint from passengers (and crew) is the condition of the aircraft. 14 down, 19 to go........

b77
18th May 2007, 20:02
AMS-LHR

good luck m8, let us know as soon as u find out. Good luck to everyone else :ok:

flybee
19th May 2007, 10:43
had interview recently and here the facts....
group exercise is about a travel agency who received lots of complaints and these need to be discussed about compensation. i believe all groups get the same task just with different complaints....
1. watch the time and say it
2. bring others in who doesnt say much or anything
3. start always like....can i make a suggestion... what do you guys think...
4. before we started i said....we should see this also from the customer point of you, they booked their holiday and if something went wrong they have the right for compensation (it shows ur customer minded)
5. if you have some money left to spend try to give everyone a compensation because we obviously want him to book again with our travel agency
6. Pay attention to the urgent fax which comes in 5min before finish
7. Dont cut anyone off even if you dont like what he's saying, etc.etc.
8. VERY important.....remember all the names from each one AND what they're doing (workwise, etc)
BREAK...:)
2TO1.....
looooooooads of questions i believe around 20.
i had questions like.........why ba, what qualities can you bring, how do you deal pressure, teamwork, deep end (how did you cope with that),
whats in the news with BA at the mo, disadvantages of job, who motivates u?, example of when you were not getting on with colleague..........and and and examples examples examples
the most important here is be urself and turn everything into positive even its not, and its ok to be nervous they know that and do understand
............make them think you would be a fool (of course in the nicest way) not to hire me........

dont think i failed.....BA inteview (LHR-short) was my third within a month together with BMED and VIRGIN and i got all of them.....big question now....for which one i should go ????????????:confused:

hope infos helped anyone and all the best of luck to all of you :ok:

..........and at the end........its just a job ;)

emboogie
19th May 2007, 16:41
hello Flybee just to help you out in your choice if you have not made up your mind :)
It all depends on what you want if you mainly want to do longhaul than virgins your answer, BMED is Longhaul but now BMI have bought it and the future is mix of both long and shorthaul and as for BA well shorthaul :)(but can do longhaul in future)
if your looking for money well VIRGIN is the bottom of the list BMED/BMI is average pay (may change in the future) but i do think BA comes up at the top of the three. when it comes to other career opportunities dont know about virgin but bmed/bmi have a lot of movement for the future and slowly expanding but BA being the biggest i would think comes up on top as well for me it does anyway:}
this is my pros and cons you may have a different outlook but i hope this might ease the decision
i would narrow it down to two BA or BMED/BMI as i think money wise for virgin i dont know if you could have a morgage, family without a rich other half (good diet though as i wouldnt be able to pay for food after all my bills!!!):} again this is my outlook on these three and i must amit i am biased as i have just got BA:Dand at moment CC for BMI!

flybee
19th May 2007, 22:46
thx so much for ur advices...really appreciated....i think i cut off bmed already so there is just virgin at the mo and if i get ba...it will be only one of these two....
financially i'm very settled and not so much dependent on but on the other hand 500-600 pounds more a month is nothing to disregard
i m comfortable with both (long or short-haul)
also thought about starting with virgin and see how it goes... if i'm happy there and.... til my course starts with ba. but do i really wanna study for two training courses??!! hmmmm really difficult decision
guys. hope the decision will be made for me.......thx so much to all of you answering my post....all the best to all of you xxx

savvy_88
21st May 2007, 13:11
hi guys,

this forum is soo helpful. i used to be cynical about these forums, but its proved me wrong.

i used this forum for inside information to help fill my application form for BA cabin crew...and to my surprise :eek: i got invitied for an assessment...

but there no slots available, so i dont know whether they have been all booked up, or they havent posted them online yet?

Ben Asher
21st May 2007, 21:08
I've been reading through the forum here and see that estimated take home pay after tax for EF is £1500/£1600 per month. With a basic of £10,499 do you guys already working for EF think that is about right? Is there an incremental scale?

Also, at the interview we were advised 9 rest days per month yet I see 10 days mentioned in the forum. Can anyone who has just received a contract expand on this and the number of days annual leave you get per year?

Finally, on the training course, we'll all learn about CRM. I'd like to know generally what the relationship is like between flight crew and cabin crew at BA EF? Where I work now, it's brilliant and quite informal. After our crew briefing, we have a briefing with the flight deck and they like to share many of the details of the flight e.g. weather, airport characteristics, operations, safety issues etc. You really feel you are one team. Just wonder if it's similar at BA EF?

The Cribbys
21st May 2007, 21:50
You asked about the course well here goes :

First 10days are Customer Service. On the first day you have a test to proove you did your 30hrs of pre course homework! Quite straightforward but you must do the work. After that you are shown aircraft layouts ie where the galleys loos and wardrobes are and how many pax on each aircraft. Every night you have homework. During day some role play, pick up uniform, and how to wear it correctly. There is a strict points system in place ie: if you're told it's jackets on all day you must wear your jacket anywhere outside the classroom (in the canteen for example) otherwise you'll get a point...and points mean you'll get kicked off the course.

After that its AVMED which is tough and you must pass but the trainers are fantastic and get you through.

And then it's the really serious stuff SEP. Fighting fires,jumping down slides,splashing round Hounslow swimming pool, loads of role play ...very serious. Once again no margine for error. Instructors brilliant and if it's your kind of thing then its fabulous but for me it was the toughest part with loads of homework and drills to be learnt. Once again masses of homework.

Back to Customer Service for a week with lots of exercises in the mock up, lots of role play again!!!!! At the end a very tough exam to show you've been paying attention for the last 5 weeks!

Was tough with loads of pressure but met some great people and made loads of new friends.:D

emboogie
22nd May 2007, 10:45
hello just wanted to say good luck for tommrow interview i hope i got the date right:)

The cribbys i take points dont mean prizes with BA training course than !!!lol

teacoffee
22nd May 2007, 14:07
Good luck AMS
mines thurs am & im a bag of nerves too! :)

The Cribbys
22nd May 2007, 14:27
Good Luck AMS-LHR and tea and coffee with your interviews. I'm sure you'll both be great. Please let us know how you do:)

Enboogie yeah "points deff don't win prizes" but I have forgotten how many you have to get before being thrown off- about 7 I think. Nobody got chucked off mine though. Lucky me once I get my start date I shall have to do it all again.

Anyone had a start date yet I had my interview 2nd May.

22nd May 2007, 14:55
I had my interterview on the 26th April, got a phone call from 'The Rivers' offering me a start date of the 2nd of July, would be rude to say no! So it looks like the training dates for this past recruitment drive will all be coming up pretty soon, good luck everyone.

emboogie
22nd May 2007, 15:47
I have been told that the uniform skirts can be seen through in certain light is this true? if so will a good old petticoat solve the problem:)

Rach-G
22nd May 2007, 16:29
Pay at EF LHR is usually between £1500 - £2000 per month after tax this obviously all depends on what you bid for if you bid early there and backs you will not earn as much as if you do late there and backs or if you bid for nightstops. The minimum days off per month is 9 but you will usually get 10 day off per month my roster for this month May was
1-2 Available
3-4 off
5-6 Lisbon Nightstop
7 Glasogow there and back
8 Standby
9-10 Available
11-12 Istanbul Nightstop
13-15 Off
16-18 Athens Nightstop
19-20 Larnaca Nightstop
21-23 Off
24-26 Zurich 1 night Aberdeen 1 night
27-28 Istanbul Nightstop
29 Nice there and back
30-31 Off

CRM is generally ok at British Airways Most pilots are very nice, there are a few who look down their noses at you, Just look at Carnage Mateys posts on this forum! But as we swap flightcrew on most sectors so you don't really get to spend much time with the flightcrew e.g. The pilots who fly on your first sector will probably get off at your first destination then new flightcrew will get on back to london then you'll have new crew to your link destination then you get off the aircraft and they will fly back to london while your on your nightstop.

BA Boi
22nd May 2007, 20:18
Ben Asher:

yes, on shorthaul heathrow you are GUARANTEED 10 days off per month - apart from february when it's 9 days, due to it being a short month.

yes, you will be on an incremental payscale for your basic salary as main crew (pursers and CSD's have their own scales that you will move onto if you get promoted one day) that has 12 increments - one increment each year for 12 years. it starts at £10,499 p/a and the current top of scale (after 12 years) is £20,088 p/a. however, this increases every year due to pay awards to keep up with the cost of living etc.
also unlike alot of other british airlines we are also paid in various allowances whilst on duty (i.e. meal allowances (which are linked to the consumer price index, and increase every year); overtime for long duties; payments for each midnight that you are away on duty, and many, many more. also each fleet (as in longhaul/shorthaul) has their own unique allowances) which bump up our pay packet to the levels mentioned in previous posts. on average you can expect to earn around £13,000 - £15,000 (the latter being the more likely figure) in allowances ontop of your basic salary annually.

annual leave for a new entrant at heathrow shorthaul is 30 days per year and after 5 years increases to 36 days per year, i believe.

hope this helps. :cool:

ladyflyby
22nd May 2007, 22:33
Ask after the presentation tomorrow - I had my interview today and asked about Compass in relation to standby shifts. I am sure it's well equipped!

Good luck with the interview!! Don't let people put you of either; there's a lot of waiting around and people do talk, if you know what I mean...

wiggy
23rd May 2007, 00:02
It was well equipped, but with staff moving out to Waterside in anticipation of T5 facilities (e.g cafes) are starting to be run down.
I guess it should still be OK for airport standby until we all move over to the great white hope ....

ladyflyby
23rd May 2007, 08:16
I wasn't given the opportunity to ask any questions after my interview and was told to save them until after the presentation! Good luck!

The Cribbys
23rd May 2007, 16:44
Had my interview on the 2nd May and have just been offered a start date on the 9th July- permanant LHR SH. Yipee!! Good luck AMS/LHS have got my fingers crossed for you.

23rd May 2007, 18:44
Hi AMS, I was interviewed on the 26th April and got my email saying I was successfull on the 4th May! ANd yesterday got offered my training date. so it may take up to 7 days I guess, gotta remember theyre really busy over there at the Rivers. So how was the Interview and assesment day? How well did you do? Do tell all!!!

ladyflyby
23rd May 2007, 19:12
That's exactly how I feel! Usually you come out of an interview knowing how well you did but I haven't got a clue! It's a waiting game now but when I do receive the email, I'll have to read it from behind my hands - I'm too scared to know the outcome!

lulutinkerbell
23rd May 2007, 19:17
Hi
I had my interview on 27th April and they phoned today to offer me a course in July LHR SH.

Yippee! and good luck to those of you waiting.
Lulu

The Cribbys
23rd May 2007, 21:09
Hey AMS -LHR had my interview on the wed and heard on the Friday so just two days of waiting. I was really unsure about how it had gone if anything felt negative.

Lulu is your course on the 9th July?

crossroads-kid
24th May 2007, 09:23
Had my interview on 26th as well and been offered 2nd July 2007.

Really excited about it!!!!

See you there 7!

By the way were you morning or afternoon on the 26th as we might already know each other?

24th May 2007, 09:34
Hi, I was in the morning interview. Didnt think We'd get a training date this soon. Gotta hand in notice soon, YAY! ANyway see you the 2nd.

Gary

crossroads-kid
24th May 2007, 09:39
Oh little Gary from BMED?

It's Andy from Cathay...

Be good to see a friendly face!

24th May 2007, 09:39
Little Gary, Gary yes! little NO! ;) Bet you glad to be leaving Cathay!!!

savvy_88
24th May 2007, 09:48
:) hi flybee...

thanks soo much for the information you posted, thats really sweet of you. at least the rest of us who still have assesment days have an idea of what to expect.:)

ive just booked a day for my assessment, but im still soooo nervous...:yuk::\

also what would you advise to wear, do u have to dress up in a suit, or can u dress up in trousers and a decent shirt?:confused:

crossroads-kid
24th May 2007, 09:54
Handed in my notice today and everyone keeps bursting into tears...bizarre!

Quite looking forward to leaving Cathay now as things seem to be going through a bit of a turbulent time.

Do you know of anyone else from our group that has got through?

24th May 2007, 10:05
I dont know anyone else who got through. Would be nice to see a few familiar faces. Everyone on our assesment day were so nice so be nice if they all got the jobs too!!!

crossroads-kid
24th May 2007, 10:13
I know - it was such a lovely bunch.

I'm not sure either but I guess we'll find out on the day. Not sure if my "sister" got through. Hope so!

Still, we'll know each other so that's a good start!

savvy_88
24th May 2007, 10:45
hey congrats on getting through...you must be soo relieved.

sorry to be pain, but can i just ask what you wore for the assesment day? do u have to go dressed up in a suit?

crossroads-kid
24th May 2007, 10:48
They always recommend smart office attire - I had a suit on with a shirt and tie but some guys just wore trousers and shirt/tie.

Turroncin
24th May 2007, 10:54
re: getting cut off half way through a question, it happened loads to me, incredibly off putting!! However, I got the job so maybe I just talk too much :rolleyes:

crossroads-kid
24th May 2007, 11:00
They do say to you when you start that if you have answered the question or repeat a previous example that they will stop you.

Don't worry about it!!!

volaryvolar
24th May 2007, 11:29
:) and both will join BA EuroF LHR at same time, abandoning Iberia after near 4 years. I like the work here but destinations are not very varied as it is in BA, but after 3 years and a half I take some rights and I want to know some things of BA, to take the right decision.

I have some doubts, I get some rights in IB;

permanent contract
free unlimited tickets to every IB destinations
16 free unlimited tickets to every IB destinations for whoever I decide.
12 free unlimited tickets for whoever I decide.
12 for my childs.
6 free tickets if I travel with them for 3 more people from my family.
Discounts in hotels and car rental around the world.

12 free days in short haul. 17,593 GBP at beginning
14 free days in long haul. 23,687 GBP at beginning
:ok:
30 days for holidays in to parts of 15 that if you organize correctly could be 21 days each part.:ok::ok:.

Could anyone tell me about rights in BA and how long takes to have it?, whether BA is best or not in that kind of things....

Is true that you can ask for destinations you prefer?.
Do you receive the schedule with 2 months in advance?.
Do you have medical insurance?
Money?.
Rights?.
Tickets?.
I am thinking in live in the continent. Is it possible?.

Thank you very much, I hope you will help me to take the right decision, Rolac is dazzled for the fame of BA, but I like to take decisions with the most and best information in my hand.:O

crossroads-kid
24th May 2007, 11:36
Congratulations AMS

Have they given you a date yet???

We'll all be in there around the same time by the looks of things!!!

Woo hoo:D

flybee
24th May 2007, 12:12
its my pleasure and if you do have more questions feel free to pm me...
about dress code, i would recommend suit with tie, nice and smart
all the best for your assesment day.......its ok to be nervous but dont be tooooooo nervous. that wont help you in any way. all the best cheeeers

flybee
24th May 2007, 12:15
do you have an ok already???? did you get the job already??

savvy_88
24th May 2007, 12:19
:ok: aww thanks, it really does help when someones genuinley supportive...:)

i may just stick to my skirt suit, wthout the jacket see how it goes...:8:8

but i'm more worried bout the presentation, i was really bad at university presentations...but oh well...

so when do u start...?

lulutinkerbell
24th May 2007, 12:29
:)You dont have to do the presentation Savvy, it is done for you by a serving BA member of staff. Dont Panic. Its a slide show really and it will answer all the questions you may have. You just sit and watch it. Oh and JMHO but I would definately wear a jacket if you have one. It looks so much smarter and you can always take it off, but if you dont have it, you may wish you had the option when you see everyone else!

And AMS-LHR ........Fantastic News! Well done you!

Lulu

1stClass
24th May 2007, 16:29
Hi

I am interested to know how many pax are on BA planes. I currently work for a charter with A320, 19, 21, B757 and 767 and would be interested to know the difference in seats on planes i.e on our 320 its 180 pax (a tight squeeze when full load lol). I heard its less in a BA cabin but wasn't sure if true.

Also I'm dreading going through training again. I was wondering if the pre-course pack was good for lessoning the load during training e.g location diagrams, drills and stuff.

Cheers all

Good luck to any people starting training.

Smell the Coffee
24th May 2007, 17:38
1stclass
Configurations across our short-haul fleet are changing - I believe new, light-weight seats are being installed on our 757s & Airbus a/c (and perhaps the 767 at some point). As these seats are also slimmer, they allow an extra row of 6 abreast in the Euro Traveller section...that's what I believe, don't quote me on it....

As a result, the figures I am about to give you are likely to change...you may need to +6 seats to the figures below...

A319....124

A320.....148

A321....194

The figures are approximate....depends on the Club loads on the day.

Regarding pre-course materials, since I joined a few years ago my information may be out of date; the pack I was sent had no location diagrams/SEP at all...it was purely commercial information. Now that I remember, galley diagrams were included but they were of practically no use in preparation as we were not examined on knowledge of galley stowages :}

airbus777
24th May 2007, 17:53
Hi 1st class....fab news for you!!At British Airways we do not have to do location diagrams!!!!

1stClass
24th May 2007, 18:35
Wow thanks for the info.

No location diagrams wow. That sounds good. Hated learning them but there must be a catch lol something even harder :}

ladyflyby
24th May 2007, 19:37
Not yet... but I had a BMED interview this afternoon and as soon as I got home they offered me the job! So I'll kind of be BA for a few months! :rolleyes:

BA-FLY
24th May 2007, 20:47
Hi AMS-LHR
The course work is based on the commercial brands and services offered with in BA. Its about loyalty schemes , cabin classes and services offered. You will also learn about the drink services and the types of wines and spirits offered etc. Its not hard but its time consuming e.g looking over notes time and time again which is great , you gotta know your stuff.

1stClass
24th May 2007, 20:48
Hey AMS

I'm waiting for my pack so as soon as I get it I'll let you know what its like. Well done on getting the job. I was worried about training again and starting a new airline but now I'm excited and got butterflies lol (how sad)

No, in truth I'm really pleased to be starting BA and I hope to fly with you all soon. My friend starts in June.

Smell the Coffee
24th May 2007, 21:22
Welcome aboard 1st Class......though you may not be working in that cabin for a while. :}

Ben Asher
24th May 2007, 23:05
Thank you for answering my questions on pay, rosta, days off and CRM so comprehensively - much appreciated!

Couple more things if you or anyone else wouldn't mind answering:

1) we're all aware of the BA pension scheme! Does the company make a contribution still to this?

2) do crew park in the car park adjacent to the Compass Centre - the parking area doesn't look that large considering the number of staff that go through there on a daily basis. Is there ever a problem?

Cheers, Ben

Ben Asher
24th May 2007, 23:08
Apologies - another question, what does 'Available' mean and how does this differ from 'Standby'?

Cheers.

Ben

japanair
25th May 2007, 03:52
Hey Guys!!!

I have my interview next week and I`m sooooooooo nervous. Never been this nervous before but have waited so long to get called for the interview it seems the waiting has gone on forever. One of my friends had interview last week and didnt get the job and i was sure they would so this has added to my nervousness:\

Done some research on BA but dont want to overdo it. Anyone here who got the job could offer some advise. Thanks everyone!

airbus777
25th May 2007, 09:45
Hi again 1st class.....no theres no catch,everything very relaxed at ba!Came over from bmed 2 years ago and have never looked back!ie ,no stressed trainers at sep and avmed!!you will love it!good luck with the training and congratulations to everyone who is starting at B.A, you gonna love it!

airbus777
25th May 2007, 09:52
Hi ben asher.....at eurofleet standby is done at the compass centre and is rostered in a 6 hour block,you may get one or two a month.If you are called to do a trip from standby you will trigger all the allowances from the time that you started your standby from.Availables also appear sometimes on your rosta and for these you need to call "VOICE" at 6pm the evening before the availale to see if you have been rostered anything for the next day,quite often you will have a couple of availables before a block of days off and the last available becomes a non-op so you get an extra day off!Everything is explained on your coarse so dont worry about anything!good luck!

airbus777
25th May 2007, 09:59
Hi ben again!
1 yes the company contribute to your pension
2 the car park is not the one you see right outside the compass centre that is for the staff working in there(although you can park there at weekends)!
We park in the car park further along bath road in Longford and there are ba shuttle busses to compass about every 10 mins!(On a good day)!

Smell the Coffee
25th May 2007, 10:00
Ben, BA does contribute to the pension scheme, I believe it's 5% if you put in the full amount every month....bear in mind that contributions are based on your basic pay, not your total pay (basic + allowances). If I were you, definitely opt in (the company are offering to put some money in your pot after all...), but for goodness' sake make sure you're saving money for retirement elsewhere....if you rely on the BA pension alone you'll be begging on the streets when you're 55.... :eek:

Regarding parking.....BA crew actually use a car park 2 roundabouts away from Compass...the car park you're thinking of is for operational (ground) staff based at Compass & visitors. However, on weekends (when office-based staff vanish from the face of the earth...), you'll be able to park at Compass centre.

Availables do differ from standbys....you can get single days, doubles, triples or quadruples! Basically, you 95% likely to be working on such days....scheduling just haven't got round to actually assigning you any work at the time the roster was published...with anything more than 1 available, you can call scheduling to arrange a trip (if there are any in the system). Occasionally, if you have a single AVL at the end of a block of work you may actually get NON-OP which means you've been given the day off.

By the way, sorry about the long posting.....enjoy BA.

volaryvolar
25th May 2007, 10:28
I have been reading the posts and it help a lot about my doubts for money, medical insurance, roasters and days off :ok:. BA is better than IB, but could please anyone said something about free tickets?.
How long have you been working to take free tickets?,
are they unlimited?,
do you have tickets for friends or only relatives?,
if you are not married but lives with someone, is possible to get tickets for this person?.

It´s important for me because I want to live in the continent in the future and my family lives spread around the world.

Thank you all very much.

teacoffee
25th May 2007, 11:48
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone was at the assessment day yesterday morning & more importantly has anyone heard the result?

Good luck all :)

emboogie
25th May 2007, 11:54
:DAMS-LHR thats great news well done very quick to get back to you must of blown them away!!!
japanair its natural to be nervous good luck as ams said people their are very friendly, relaxed enviroment and even my interview group was a great bunch kept in touch with most of them!
cant wait to start that training course is that sad!!!!
well done for those of you that also got offers :D

savvy_88
25th May 2007, 12:08
thanks lulutinkerbell and all for the dressing advice...:)

that makes much more sense, and makes things slightly more clearer :ok:

Smell the Coffee
25th May 2007, 15:46
This BA crew video seems to be doing the rounds at the moment...little taster of what's to come....enjoy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVbUjab6KSY

Ben Asher
25th May 2007, 18:25
Thanks very much for the info on pensions and car parking. Don't worry Smell the Coffee - have made other plans re my pension but nice to know they do make some contribution. Actually, now you've mentioned it, do BA cabin crew generally fold up their wings at 55 ??

Cheers for now.

Ben

Smell the Coffee
25th May 2007, 18:38
Hi Ben

I think 55 is the new legal limit, but don't quote me.

AMS-LHR (great username, you'll be doing a few of those love :}) you get to go to glam beaches in Barcelona, Nice, Larnaca, Lisbon, Rome...you just need to get organized once you see those nice trips on your roster.

Besides, you'll be licensed on the 767...EF crew sometimes get rostered the odd longhaul flight to NAS, DAR, DXB....:)

BA Boi
25th May 2007, 22:29
Ben Asher:

when you sign your contract, your contractual retirement age will be 55. this was negotiated by our union, BASSA, in the early 1970's.

however, since the anti-age legislation act (please excuse my inexpert naming of this law) came into effect in october 2006, you can opt to carry on working until the age of 65 if you want to.

Glamgirl
26th May 2007, 11:38
Omg, I can't believe it, I'm in that sodding YouTube video! Not happy as I wasn't asked. Hmmm, words will be had with the film maker (I've got his number, lol). Wouldn't mind so much if I was asked... Am I being a fun-spoiling witch?

On a more positive note, BA is great fun (esp LGW as that's where I "live")
Folks who are going to interviews/assessments, just be yourself, sell yourself (how great you are) without being cocky and you'll be fine. If you don't know the answer to a question about the company, just tell them you're keen to learn.

For those who've got the job, please pay attention on your course. Ask questions about things you're not certain about (sometimes waiting to the end of the day or lunch break is good as you can get personal answer), study the pre course pack, you will be tested on first or second day. Read your coursework at home when you've finished for the day. Dress nicely (no jeans/trainers).

Don't rebel agains uniform standards. I tried for years and it didn't work. It's easier to comply. Listen to your fellow crew when you're online. They've got great experience and will teach you lots of things (not just related to flying ;)). Respect seniority, but stand up for yourself with what you believe in.

Most of all, welcome to the company, hope you have a great career and lots of fun. Don't sweat the small stuff. If you have a nasty pax, just think of it this way: You only have to put up with them for a few hours, they have to be miserable for the rest of their life. Kill them with kindness, it really annoys misery-guts pax when you don't bite their bait. :}

Best of luck to all of you, may you have a wonderful time.

Gg

Ps, don't forget your camera on sep training. I still look at my pics of me on a 747 slide in my lovely white overalls with a smile.

BA-FLY
26th May 2007, 15:22
OOOOO bad luck glam girl for staring in the video hehe , Thank you for giving us a few pointers about training. I start June4th and cant beleive how quick its gone , dead excited about the course and meeting fellow new entrants.

Best of luck to those who have interviews , like glam girl said be your self and be aware that the BA eyes are watching you at all times lol. And best of luck to those who will be in training and hopefully see you in-flight , around base or dwon route !

xxxx

bum_ble_bee
26th May 2007, 15:49
I have just sent of my application form, I have to say the help and advice on here is amazing!!! Helped so much with my questions, and u guys really seem like a great group of people :) Hope I get in, I cant wait to get my "wings" hehe and I HAVE to agree totally with AMS-LHR!! My mums the same!! lol and I have to admit Id love to have a photo like that! haha

So thanks all for the great advice on here and wish me luck :}

Bee xx

P.S Great Vid!!!!

Capricorn1
26th May 2007, 17:14
Hi Bum_ble_bee
Are BA still recruiting for crew then?
Capricorn1

bum_ble_bee
26th May 2007, 18:07
Sorry forgot to say it was GB crew rather than directly BA that I applied for, becuase yeah GB are still recruiting for LGW xx

Smell the Coffee
26th May 2007, 22:08
Indeed, to all those joining.....WELCOME & ENJOY.....don't know if BA is the 'best' but I joined a few years ago & let me tell you something...it beats working for a living.

For those of you wanting to bid for trips, some brief advice - keep it VERY simple...best not to request specific cities as you may get disappointed (our rostering system is a bit of a hit or miss).........besides, if you're new you should be up for nightstops anywhere on the network. ;)

To answer your question AMS, I can't remember the diameter of a 767 engine! Had the photo taken, but I was actually sitting inside the engine....please make sure you do it with one of the pilots lol....the engine was 'off' but I was still a bit nervous....

Pax Agent
27th May 2007, 09:14
AMS-LHR you do the wet drills as they're called once per employment. So once you have shown you can swim thats you sorted!
Glamgirl....go on give me a clue as to who u are!? I prob know you! Im not in this video but I'm defo in the 2nd one he's making! UH OH!

Glamgirl
27th May 2007, 10:41
Aaaaargh! He's not making another one is he? That's it, I'm calling him today! I'm in enough trouble at work as it is, I really don't need this right now :eek:

The clue is... I'm kinda blond... 'nuff said....:}

Ams - your ditching training is only the once in the lovely pool. I'm not too fond of water either, but I told the trainers and they were great. You don't have to jump in, just lower yourself into the water. Tell your fellow course mates as well, they'll keep an eye on you too. You have to swim unaided for a bit, then "rescue" each other (dragging the other for a bit), then tread water while you put the life jacket on. And finally, the graceful climb into the life raft. I had a slight problem as the frankly GORGEOUS pilots from NZ were doing their drills at the same time and wanted to impress them. We all fell into the raft flat on our faces, but it's a good laugh anyway. You all help each other, so it's a great bonding (bondage?) session.

With the slides, you'll get to go on each only once (I know, :{). The 74,77,73 and A slides. The 74 is the best one, as it's really high, and you'll get a few butterflies in your stomach.

Good luck to all. Hope you have lots of fun.

Gg

PS. All boys and girls, please please please turn up to your training looking like a hostie already, ie no superspiky trendy hair, girls - hair up please. If you look like a hostie on day one, you might get a little gold star (in secret).

chicane19
27th May 2007, 11:55
Hi guys!!

Congratulations to everyone!!, I can see most of you are getting the job, that's very, very good news. I also got the job, but I'm still waiting a long, long time for the phone call for the starting date:confused:.

I had my interview the 10th April for LGW and then, the 19th April I was trasferred to the LHR SH holdpool. But since then................, nothing but a forever and ever waiting:suspect:. Is there anyone out there in the same situation???, is there anyone out there who knows how this thing works?, I'm so desperate at this moment!!!:{.

xxx

emboogie
27th May 2007, 12:56
You proberly have a thousand times but i would contact them again and see whats going on as there giving courses to people who actually applied for LHR originally???? i have said it many times and probley still but i have no idea BA recruitment works, if i was you i would email or ring again and try and get a time frame.
i had my interview on the 30th MARCH got my phone call a few weeks ago so maybe they are still going down the list??? (very slowly) i know they are organising peoples coversion courses to longhaul so they might be getting those out the way before they come back to you????
Just hope the wait is not anymore longer for you i know how it feels :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

bum_ble_bee
27th May 2007, 14:45
hahahahahaha well, if they let you, make sure you let me know how you managed it, bcuz I will definately be trying that one!!!! :}

Bee xxx

emboogie
27th May 2007, 14:54
Enjoy the fifteen minutes of fame:)
The videos great they have done a good job! roll on for part 2
just a question does the trainers mind if you take photos during your training ??? ok within reason wont be crawling on the floor in a smokehood taking photos when i should be saving Annie or Randy!!!:}x

chicane19
27th May 2007, 17:08
Hi emboogie!!

Thanks for your support mate, it's very nice of you!!:).

I'm still waiting for a reply to the email I sent them last week. I'll let you know asap!!.

About phone calls, they're done as well, but I didn't get any valuable info:sad:.

Well, what to do??!!!, lets wait with fingers crossed:\!!

XXX

Glamgirl
27th May 2007, 19:58
Hi guys,

As long as you ask before if you can take a picture, I'm sure it's fine. Don't even think about taking pics during the fire drill, as you'll be concentrating so much on breathing in those dreadful smokehoods, and you can't see a thing anyway (you've possibly search for bodies in a dark smokefilled room and you'll have to fight a "fire" in the dark smokey room too. It gets really hot in summer. I was there last week and it was stifling.

Other than that, you can take pics I'm sure. Just ask your trainers first. (And ask everyone you've taken pics of if they mind being on YouTube before they're included in the "film" :uhoh:)

HTH,

ATB

Gg

TightSlot
28th May 2007, 04:25
Please remember - this forum, and specifically this thread, do not exist as an alternative to your mobile phone and text messages. The thread is here to provide information, answer questions and enable discussion about the business of applying for Cabin Crew with BA.

The thread is not here for pointless posts along the lines of "I have no further news, and nothing to say but love you all etc. etc.". Postings that contribute nothing to the subjecct being discussed will be deleted.

flyingpanther
28th May 2007, 12:30
Hi, I'm in same situation, interview was same day for LGW, apr 10, received congrats email on apr 13 then received email regarding trsfer from lgw to lhr poole on apr 19th to which i replied yes and since nothing so went to cranebank to find out and spoke to someone who said they never received my reply so kept me on hold. They also said that all lHR training are all full now and that I have to wait until eventually someone declines training or changes their mind about starting date. I'm quite upset as most of my friends who went for interview a couple of weeks ago only already know when they are starting and I really really left out. So if I were you I would get in touch with BA as you could be waiting for ever. Good luck and well done to the lucky ones with a starting date.

Smell the Coffee
28th May 2007, 18:13
Volary,

Just seen your post which no one else has answered yet.

Staff travel is BA's weak point - it is not as good as that offered by other airlines.

No "free" tickets until you have worked in the company for 7 years.

However, you do get access to 'Standby'/ID90s after 6 months.

As I'm single I can only offer my immediate family (3 other people) ID90s. BA don't have 'buddy passes' or other such tickets for friends - a shame!

What they offer instead is a 'Hotline' ticket (20 per year) which an employee can offer to anyone - these are supposed to be discounted tickets but very often they can be more expensive than normal tickets... :hmm:

Perhaps someone else can discuss tickets for partners etc.

Smell the Coffee
28th May 2007, 21:14
Hi AMS

There are answers to those questions, but I am afraid I am not qualified to answer them......I have been working for BA for under 3 years and haven't yet needed to look into arrangements for partners etc.

Perhaps someone else could help.

Cabin class is dependent on more than just seniority...your role in the company and your reason for travel can also affect which cabin you are entitled to travel in.

An new-entrant crew, you will only usually have entitlement to Club class when on a positioning trip; this basically means the company pay you to fly up to Stockholm for instance, spend the night & work the flight back the next day.

japanair
29th May 2007, 17:16
Had my interview today and now have to wait! In 2 to 1 interview didnt get asked any questions I thought they would ask and didnt use any of the words I wanted to use. Did make my interviewers laugh and they were so friendly and relaxed didnt feel like i was in interview but chatting to friends. Dont know if this is good or bad?

poorleno
29th May 2007, 18:31
Hey AMS.

I am on the 20th August also hooray! Congratulations you are so lucky to have not waited to long, It has taken me since the 28th March but I am so excited now, Is it really only 10 weeks how exciting.

Anyone else on the 20th August yet?

chicane19
29th May 2007, 18:47
Hi Ams and Poorleno,

Congratulations and well done, mates!:D.

Well, I'm still waiting for my phone call, there's nothing else I can do:{.
But I phoned them today and they told me don't worry as they're gonna call all the people on the list. It's such a little information but gives you so much hope!:bored:.

Congrats again and hope to see you on board!

X

av8rboyz
29th May 2007, 22:14
im on the course on the 20th too and cant wait!!

emboogie
29th May 2007, 22:21
hello congrats to AMS that was bloody quick and of course Poorleno:D
chicane19 typical BA no answer on whats going on??? i just hope your name is coming soon "on there list" my fingers are crossed!

Is anyone on the 25th of june course out there i feel so alone as everyone is on other courses:( X LOL

flyingpanther
30th May 2007, 07:42
Hi, my training course is on aug 20 too. I got my phone call yesterday at last, after a month and a half waiting i finally got my starting date couldn't believe it. Well see you at Cranebank in Aug.

emboogie
30th May 2007, 11:28
LOL im glad BA know im very special person to them and have arranged my personal training course hehe:8

i just got the Cd rom through the post this morning on the back it has operating requirements long winded but bear with me!!!!!
Hardware Pentium II 300 or higher 64MB memory Minimum 16-bit colour video card at 800x600 res ,CD Rom drive (dough!) software windows 95,98,NT,2000 OR XP OR HIGHER
Adobe reader 5.0 or above

Nothing says MAC but might be within all that jargon or totally useless to you either way thats all the requirments they give you with the CD rom???

Got the course work but NO CONTRACT???? wonder wether to ring them at the end of this week knowing bank hoilday weekend just gone!!! might be behind??? any advise? X

b77
30th May 2007, 12:28
emboogie, i am starting my training course on the 18th June, and still havent received my contract so dont worry about it.

anyone on the 18th June course?

how are you guys getting on with your pre-course work?

chicane19
30th May 2007, 17:46
Hi guys!,

This is just to let you know that my waiting is over now. I spoke to BA again today and I've been told that there are no more courses available, so I'll have to wait until next campaign comes, either LGW or LHR. It's been more than one month awaiting for this..., well, I feel a bit disappointed, but what can I do...

Good luck to everyone, I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it a lot!!!

X

kikko
30th May 2007, 18:35
Hi chicane,

I have been for an interview for LHR SH very recently (still don't know the outcome..).
During the presentation we have been told that if successful we'll be in a holding pool, however there should be courses late summer (to be precise from august or september onwards). So afterall you might not have to wait long....assuming that the holding poole is the same for who applied for LGW and LHR.

Good luck anyway

emboogie
30th May 2007, 19:13
Chicane19 that is so CRAP!:yuk: i suppose they finally gave you an answer which is alot from BA and it gives you time off from hovering over the phone waiting for a phone call (obsessing like its your first boyfriend or girlfriend whatever floats ya boat:})
well until next time round anyway!!! hopefully there are courses soon as september as Kikko said:sad:

Ams well there is ALOT theres six individual volumes all compact with either BA history and their future, Airport Codes and on the ground services i.e checkin etc and branding. i think its mainly alot of little things to get out of the way before the hard stuff starts in class:) but saying that, looking at it briefly there is alot of little stuff to get into the brain (well mine anyway) my mouth dropped when i saw all the airport codes i didnt reliase how many airports and countrys ba go to ! Hey thats what you get working for the greatest and largest airline in the world CHEESE.(wheres the crackers) :}
then youve got the assesment you need to do before you start .

B77 cheers im glad im not the only one not signed my soul away yet! i just hope it comes soon as ive handed my notice in so no going back now whoooooo!!!

Capricorn1
30th May 2007, 21:35
Hi Chicane
This does not make sense. They are still interviewing for Eurofleet at the moment, so why interview if all the courses are full? I know of someone going for interview tomorrow morning. I can't see why they would still interview if no chance of training. I would not accept this, esp as people interviewed later than you have been offered course dates. I would try and speak to someone in charge and explain your predicament and see if there is anything more to be done. I have had some issues with my CSA job at LHR, was due to start training 11th June, and have today finally spoken to the Project Manager for the recruitment campaign who finally cleared everything up for me, and I decided to decline the position. It was really hard trying to speak to someone who isn't on the recruitment line but for me it was well worth it, as what I had been told on the line was in fact inaccurate and the Project Manager confirmed so. If I hadn't found this out today I would've left my job that I've been at for 12 years and only realised during training or in first few weeks at LHR that I'd made a big mistake.
Sorry to ramble but I hate people being messed around, and you have waited so long. I know they are a very large organisation but if you dig deeper you may be able to find something out that is to your advantage. I do hope you sort something out.
Best wishes
Capricorn1

Hi guys
I hope I didn't come across as being negative in this posting?? If I did it was unintentional. I still hope to work for BA in the future, in this instance the terms were not workable for me. I met some lovely people through the assessment process so it was all worthwhile (I must admit I am really disappointed I can't accept the job but it wasn't meant to be).
Best wishes.
Capricorn1:)

savvy_88
31st May 2007, 16:29
:)CONGRATULATIONS AMS-LHR and to anyone else who passed the interview...i know this is well over due...but only just logged on today...

bet you guys are soo chuffed!:ok: well you should be...well done...!

speedmarque
31st May 2007, 17:38
Firstly, congratulations and welcome to BA, a true winning team!

Remember though you are not guaranteed to fly YET! Dont wanna bring you down but cannot stress enough how important it is to pay attention on your course and not be cocky until you are on your first flight! Training is TOUGH and some people who, on paper, are perfect, do not make it through! Stay focused and you wll be fine. Good luck.

Here is some info i hope will be of help to those on training.

Rosters come out on the 20th/21st each month for the following month ie 21st Aug for Sept 1-30th. You will be the same as anyone else and your rosters will appear on crewlink for you to check. Make sure you are registered on crewlink ASAP or you will not be able to bid, view rosters, do leave, or anything.....ask your trainers.

You will do 1 supernumerary flight where you will be coached through by your fellow crew and CSD/PSR. This is usually a "band 4" longer flight such as Moscow/Kiev/Athens but after that you are very much by yourselves!

The next flight you do may be a MAN which is about 30 mins! You will be expected to know where things are and how to do the service, simple as that! LISTEN during training and run things over in your head. Learn where each galley on each aircraft has things stowed because unfortunately "I AM NEW" wont be an acceptable excuse to some crew and because of the nature of the short flights you WILL be expected to HIT THE GROUND RUNNING!

Not trying to scare you but please make use of all the time you get in the cabin trainer doing services. That is the only practise you are gonna get!

Another thing, as soon as you get your IDs get yourself over to the Compass Centre (crew report centre or "COMPASS"). This is your new home until we move to T5 in March and although you will get a visit on your course I cant stress enough how important it is to know and feel at home here before you fly. Spend lots of time here so you know where things are and it makes you feel far less new on the day of your first flight!

With regards to bidding for your flights, your trainers will do a session on this but that is far into the course and too late for your first roster. They may discourage this but as soon as you can, get to compass and grab the nearest friendly crew to show you how to do it! Otherwise you will get all the Cr@p in your first month and little good stuff!

Enjoy your course, you will make many friends (and the odd enemy!). I cant tell you what a great job it is and after 15 years in the job I never get bored!

See you "upstairs"!

emboogie
31st May 2007, 17:51
THANKYOU for the advise much valued :)
just a question when you get the ID and go to the compass center is it ok to go in your civvies or should you go in uniform!!!
I just hope i dont look like a deer in headlights with the majority of my first week online:sad: X

speedmarque
31st May 2007, 19:19
You can go in civvies to Compass. Lots of people do. The wordwide crew on back-to-backs who are in the Arora Hotel across the road are always in there having dinner or whatever.

Cheers

b77
31st May 2007, 20:17
Such useful information!!!! I don’t know how I cant tank everybody enough for all this help.
I am aware of the points system that BA have, so my question is, do we get points on our pre-course material that was sent to us? I am not saying that I am not going to learn anything but there is so much info that we have to retain, especially the airport codes, it’s a bit tough when I have never been a crew before and know only few codes. I am looking forward to my training and will give my 101% but I am a tad scared! Does anyone know what the pass mark is? I am more than sure I’ll do well but at same time I have my reservations, as does everybody I have spoken to. Most people have found it very hard. Even people who have been crew already have found it quite tough so it should be very difficult for us new comers

chicane19
1st Jun 2007, 00:42
Hi everyone!!
Thank you very much for your support, makes me feel really good, seriously, it's lovely, I have no words:O!.
I've sent a couple of e-mails, but no reply yet. As soon as I have any info I'll update you about everything, but I guess I'll have to be patient!!.

Have fun learning your codes:}!!. Try these ones:
PMI, LEI, BIO, PNA, IKA, KHI, MLA, and the best of the bests, MAD :D

XXX

Eddy
1st Jun 2007, 01:00
b77, congratulations on getting the job! First thing to remember, though : don't be scared.

You're about to embark on a fun yet stressful month-and-a-bit of fairly intense (at times) training, and self-doubt is the last thing you need to be carrying around. We have some of the best trainers in the industry at BA and they will NOT let you fail. Unless you're truly, truly terrible, you'll be helped along the way by your course trainers.

The Steps to Excellence books that you get before the course contain a lot of information but only a few bits are really relevant to the initial test you do. Study the information but don't stress about it. You can ask for help in the test and you'll go over all the information contained in the books throughout the course of your time in training.

I joined BA as a newbee to the industry and managed through the course without any problems. I was a travel agent in a past life, but that didn't really help me one iota. Well, it helped with the airport codes, but they made up just two or three of the initial questions. You'll never see them again (untill they're on your roster, atleast!).

I'd be delighted to offer you some additional help, either on here or by PM if it's more specific. Same goes for anyone else about to join this great airline.

I enjoyed help when I was starting out thanks to Pprune. It's my turn to give something back.

1stClass
1st Jun 2007, 08:40
"You will be expected to know where things are and how to do the service, simple as that! LISTEN during training and run things over in your head. Learn where each galley on each aircraft has things stowed because unfortunately "I AM NEW" wont be an acceptable excuse to some crew"

I do understand the point you are trying to make and agree that in training you do learn a great deal but surely the crew ARE understanding to the fact 'you are new' as they were once. When you first get online no amount of training will make you cabin crew straight away as this is something that comes with being online and by gaining hands on experience. After the supernumery the nerves really set in as your out on your own. I hope crew are understanding to this and don't expect you to go flying round the cabin as if you've been there 10 years:}.

Mind you maybe BA go into greater detail about where things are in the galleys and service training as my last airline was like - sep, first aid, there's your wings now get out and serve. It was horrible as I didn't have a clue what I was doing and just had to learn online with the crew (poor them). So maybe this time I will go out online with the knowledge to do a service. Anyway, my point being I hope the crew are understanding towards 'new crew'.:)

Smell the Coffee
1st Jun 2007, 09:03
1st class you're absolutely right;although speedmarque was probably just trying to motivate, all BA crew will welcome you with open arms and WILL NOT expect you to know where everything is & how to complete the service on any given flight - certainly you will be expected to be eager and willing to learn - the rest is simply experience and ASK, ASK, ASK. Many shorthaul crew have fairly little seniority anyway - a large number joined in the last 3 years, which is very recent by BA standards!

You won't be the only new people around either...many longhaul crew will be transferring over to shorthaul and believe me, they have don't have much experience of shorthaul aircraft, galleys or 30 minute Manchester flights, so you will not be on your own!

1stClass
1st Jun 2007, 09:27
Thank you. Thats good to know. I understand speedmarque does have a point because the MAN is amazing compared to athens in terms of time so I will try and take as much as possible in during training so I don't feel as lost on my first flight as I did my current airline. Thanks for everyones advice. I can't wait to join BA. I thought they wouldn't be recruiting for years and yet here I go.

MancRed
1st Jun 2007, 09:48
Anyone know when the next WW CC course is?

The Moo
1st Jun 2007, 10:16
Longhaul courses for converstions from Euro fleet to world wide start on the 2nd of july with another on the 9th.

MancRed
1st Jun 2007, 10:27
don't mean conversion courses, new entrant course start dates I am after for WW

1st Jun 2007, 13:46
Any one booked in for there uniform fitting? I have my training date on the 2nd of July, but they can only fit me in on the 23rd July! Looks like its hectic over at BA. Busy busy busy! So be warned everyone they are busy for dates!

crossroads-kid
1st Jun 2007, 13:53
Yeah - I have the same problem. I am booked in just after you on the same date...

Starting to feel more real now!!! :)

Eddy
1st Jun 2007, 15:14
If you're near LHR, try just swinging past uniform stores and giving it a bash. They'll often try and fit you in if they can. The term "uniform fitting" is a bit misleading. It's more like when you go in to a highstreet store, tell them your sizes, go to a dressing room to try them on and then change them if they don't fit. It takes about an hour - maybe a tad more - but the involvement of the BA staff there is minimal. They just hand you stuff.

So again, if you're nearby and have time to spare, just nip past.

The Moo
1st Jun 2007, 16:08
You are hoping, if you want worldwide heathrow on a permanent basis. At the very best you'd be offered it on a six month basis with the offer of a single fleet LGW offered at the end of it. Your best bet is eurofleet LHR then put your name on the transfer list . If you get in before November this year you will be able to put your name on the tranfer list and might make it to worldwide within 2 1/2 - 3 years if thats what you want.

Eddy
1st Jun 2007, 16:22
RE Luggage, you're right in that BA don't give us suitcases any more.

The uniform guidelines dictate that we should have a navy blue or black suitcase (recommended hard-shell) and a similar coloured wheelie bag for carry-on luggage.

We're also told we're not allowed stickers on the cases.

Of course, people do put stickers on their bags and some people even use bags of questionable colour.

You'll get a 10% discount at Rolling Luggage in the terminals for cases, or you can use Express Baggage on Bath Road for cheap check-in bags.

b77
1st Jun 2007, 19:18
Eddy

thanks a lot for your help you are a Star :ok:

b77
1st Jun 2007, 20:11
Hi All

could someone give me the dimentions for the suitcase and the wheelly bag? I am in the same situaion as AMS-LHR, people from work wants to get me them but i dont know what the measurments should be. Most appreciated!

MancRed
1st Jun 2007, 21:06
yes I mean the temp WW position, any ideas when the next course starts???

LHRKrew
1st Jun 2007, 22:07
AMS-LHR,

I would highly recommend Travelpro luggage Mate for when you get flying.I've been using their stuff for the last 14yrs & never had a problem.

Travelpro luggage tends to be a little bit more pricey & less widely available than Samsonite or Delsey etc but,it's much more hard wearing & durable in my opinion.

Almost all of their wheelie bags are full of handy pockets & best of all a folding shirt hanger so you can iron your work shirts at home before your trip,then they are kept nice in your wheelie until you need them downroute.

Hope this help!

LHRKrew:)

japanair
2nd Jun 2007, 03:57
Hey Guys,

Me again! had interview last week. Not sure how it went. Felt really relaxed with the interviewers but dont know how it went. They were laughing a lot with me which everyone says is good but think I might have not done so gr8 in some questions. Anyone who has gottten the job, what is the title in the email when u get the jod. I know when its a no it says "result of assesment", just wondering is it the same just so I know whether to open it or not!:uhoh:

DMED
2nd Jun 2007, 08:35
Hello :)

The title of the email is the same: result of the assesment. You shouldnt take long in hear from them though. Good luck!

Anyone has an idea when more people for courses after august are gonna be called?

Thanks

sweety
2nd Jun 2007, 10:29
"Important - Your offer details"! :)

speedmarque
3rd Jun 2007, 09:21
You will get a roster for your last week of the month dont worry. Get that bidding done brfore around the 9/10th of Sept to make sure you get some good stuff in the last week of Sept as thet is when the bidding window closes.

"BA have some of the best trainers in the industry"

I TOTALLY AGREE - (takes a bow!!!!!)

emboogie
3rd Jun 2007, 09:41
Just a question is the list for lhr ww open now? to place your name down or is fairly soon as i start in june and was going to put my name down as soon as poss to wait for the 3yrs bestowed on me lol :)

speedmarque
3rd Jun 2007, 13:43
There is a list running at the moment which is closed to new entrants. In August the "new" lists will open and you will be able to register for WW (or anywhere else for that matter!) This list should become active in October and then its a waiting game.

If you have not achieved WW by two years from October the list is scrapped and a new one will be opened which again you will put your name on.
Every two years the list is re-opened.

Hope that makes sense!!
To give you an idea, there are transfers taking place from Euro to WW at the moment, they are transferring folk who joined in January 2005 so about two and a half years service.

The list sometimes comes down to 18 months service and sometimes goes as high as 4 years service. Its just the luck of the draw for how many they need.

One thing to bear in mind though is that Eurofleet is the new Worldwide with regards to desirability! For the first time in years (if ever) there are more people waiting to come to Eurofleet LHR from WW than want to go in the opposite direction!

You will of course be able to make your own mind up after a coupole of years flying Euro but about 50% of people being called for transfer to WW at the moment ARE TURNING IT DOWN!!

You can go for Purser after 3 years on Eurofleet and this is a big pay rise which will see you earning more than if you were main-crew on WW and you get to fly in charge!

Good Luck

flyerlad
3rd Jun 2007, 14:41
Hey peeps... if you are thinking of starting a flying career with BA well good news we will be recruiting into WW soon so keep your eyes peeled on the website... www.britishairwaysjobs.co.uk (http://www.britishairwaysjobs.co.uk) it wont be advertised for long so LOOK every day! interviews will possibily begin begining of july... GOOD LUCK to you all that apply!:)

Capricorn1
4th Jun 2007, 19:49
Hi Flyerlad
Thanks for the info. Good news. Do you mind me asking how you know this??!
Capricorn1 :)

lovethesky
4th Jun 2007, 21:57
one thing to bear in mind about lhr ww recruitment, ba are still offerinf this internaly to all scottish ground staff who are out of a job, the date for closing for them in the end of june, so dont expect ba to recruit b4 then as these guys will be in pole position. it depends on how many of them take the job as to how many people they will recruit externaly for. and the amount of ground staff that are taking the job i would doubt even if ba will need to recruit ecternaly for lhr ww.

MancRed
4th Jun 2007, 22:09
lovethesky, please bear in mind it not just the scottish ground staff who are out of a job there is MAN and BHX staff also!

Jarvis

lovethesky
5th Jun 2007, 09:24
exactly (forgot about thoses bases) so ba will have no problems in filling the 286 temp positions

MancRed
5th Jun 2007, 09:33
There is about 40-50 staff from MAN taking up WW BHX closed down yesterday and some of them are taking up the offer so you never know there might be so spaces left not many though I suspect

Jarvis

lovethesky
5th Jun 2007, 11:02
in total there are nearly 800 people out of a job (dont u just love ba)
so for 286 positions!!!
have ba said what will happen to the people who take lhr ww after the 11 months temp contract???

MancRed
5th Jun 2007, 20:29
After the 11 months we have been told the contract WILL end :{and we will have the same severence package/redeploment available as we have now, but as CC recruiters said you know what BA is like anything could happen!:E

But after speaking to our HR rep today she reckons there are more people accepting WW than they have positions so it looks like your right:D

Any news on course dates would be helpful????

Jarvis

lovethesky
5th Jun 2007, 21:12
bassa our union have said may and june for eurofleet, august and september for lhr ww.
i wonder what ba have planned for next summer, as it is strange for them to need less main crew. but then there are hundreds of crew on the xfer list for lhr ww.
i would be surprised if you didnt get offered another base as crew. last years temps were all offered gatwick. eurofleet would be great for u huys!!!! and with ba setting up this new european base!!! u never know!!

Ben Asher
6th Jun 2007, 07:29
Just wondered how many people out there, who were successful in the mid-May assessments, are still awaiting course dates and remain in the Holding Pool? I was on the Mon 14th May assessment, succeeded and on Wed 23rd May received a voicemail message to call Recruitment (presumably about the course date). I was in the air at the time, so I rang back on Thurs 24th but was told to wait to hear from them. Nobody returned my call, so after the Bank Holiday, 'phoned again on Tues 29th May to be told the courses were full and they had no idea when the next available one would be!

Any ideas / views?

sweety
6th Jun 2007, 08:56
I would highly recommend Travelpro luggage Mate for when you get flying.I've been using their stuff for the last 14yrs & never had a problem.
Travelpro luggage tends to be a little bit more pricey & less widely available than Samsonite or Delsey etc but,it's much more hard wearing & durable in my opinion.
Almost all of their wheelie bags are full of handy pockets & best of all a folding shirt hanger so you can iron your work shirts at home before your trip,then they are kept nice in your wheelie until you need them downroute
Where can I get those from? I live in West Sussex. And do we get any discount? :) Ta!

schwing1
6th Jun 2007, 10:13
I had my interview on 23rd may and got told the following day I was successful but havent heard anything about a course date even tho I know some people that were at the interview on the same date have got courses already! Strange.

Ben Asher
6th Jun 2007, 15:38
Thanks SCHWING1 and AMS-LHR. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens next. It's certainly not of your doing AMS-LHR so please don't feel you've 'nicked' anyone's place! I suspect there's a whole team of recruiters doing the contacting and that if they find you, you're on a course and if not, then the course may have filled up by the time they get around to calling you again. It's a pity that the people answering the 'phone only seem to be able to pass on messages though.

Princesscharl
6th Jun 2007, 22:31
Hi guys, just to sympathise with some of you i'm still waiting on my course date too. I had my interview 25th April and had the job by the 27th. I missed a call from recruitment about two weeks ago and they left me a message asking me to call them back which i did half an hour later and I tried for a week with no answer. I heard from another girl from my interview that she had been called that day too and got on July 16th course.
Eventually a week later i got through and was told id missed my space on the course that came up so i was back in the pool.
Ive given up calling for now..i'm worried that i might miss the call forever as i still have to work?! Its hard luck it seems if you cant sit by your phone 24/7! I am sure we will hear soon but just thought i would share :)

kikko
7th Jun 2007, 11:49
Hi flyerlad,

could you pls tell us a bit more about this new recruitment fo LHR WW?
Would it be for temporary or permanent positions?
Reading all the posts here, it sems to be unlikely BA is going to recruit externally for LHR WW....but you never know...
Again..could you pls tell us more?:)

crossroads-kid
7th Jun 2007, 14:57
I sent off through the website my disclosure application on the 2nd June and I have just received an email from BA to say that they have had it already! Things have improved at Disclosure!

crossroads-kid
7th Jun 2007, 16:33
I'm starting on 2nd July...three weeks on Monday so I am soooo excited.

Had two missed calls today from an unknown number so that might have been from the medical screening unit.

I will see if they call again tomorrow!

:rolleyes:

japanair
7th Jun 2007, 20:40
Hey Guys!

Had my interview on the 29th of May but still have heard nothing! Anyone else still waiting?

Matt101
7th Jun 2007, 20:56
Hey guys afraid you'll have to give up call screening alltogether as BA always seem to be withheld or annonymous - so when we're on standby I guess nobody just avoids that number.

I was in GLA recently (base closing soon poor buggers) and they have been offered 11month temp WW contracts starting in August so if they open up externally I would suspect this would be what will happen.

They are currently being told that the contract ends then and then further redeployment or severance available (internally) as for external recruitment you may just find 11 months is your lot. Though we are short at SFG so you may find yourself here or you may stay or you may go to EF.

To be honest as someone who was a temp once I wouldn't hold out to stay anywhere - take EF perm contract and run to be on the safe side If I were you.

Best of luck to al you newbies You'll love it (the job) once you can get past their (managers) disorganisation.

japanair
8th Jun 2007, 13:47
well thought i would hear today from BA but still nothing! Had interview 10 days ago. They told me I would hear 7 to 10 days later but still nothing! How annoying! Anyone else waiting?:\

batriple7
8th Jun 2007, 16:28
Sorry I am new to all this so forgive me if I have made a bloops....

I had an interview on 10th April in the morning. I received my congratulations message on Friday 13th. I have heard very little since then and on emailing them was told all was in order I would be contacted in due course. I havent received the phone call yet...

Is there anyone out there who is currently with BA( internal candidate)
who has applied and been accepted as I am also confused in the filling in of the forms sent. The docs i printed off dont seem to be enough as to what they are saying on the cover page but on enquiring was told my application papers were ok.

Someone help.....pse

chicane19
8th Jun 2007, 21:29
Hi BAtriple7!

I think we had the interview together on the 10th in the morning, even the group exercise, so we know each other and I think you work for another airline as well, pls correct me if otherwise.

Well, welcome to limbo!. The 13th Apr I received the congrats e-mail and the 19th I was given the chance to move my application to the LHR EF holdpool, which I accepted, so I believe we're in the same situation.

I've spoken to them a couple of times and there's only one thing clear to me: my name is on the list. That's all. At the moment it seems that all the courses are full so we'll have to wait until the next campaign comes up. Waiting game again.

My advice is to be patient, (it has taken a long time for both of us to be at this stage) and enjoy this forum with all the amazing people sharing their info with all of us.

Good luck mate and hope to see u soon!

speedmarque
11th Jun 2007, 08:01
This is important............

Day 1

Go suited and booted! Classic suit, highly polished shoes, crisp ironed shirt and lovely tie. So many people forget how important first impressions are!

The trainers will have made extra efforts with their uniform for day one, you do the same with your attire.

For the rest of the course (until you go into uniform) have nice shoes, shirts with open collar and chino/casual type trousers.

No jeans obviously, no t or polo shirts, avoid big brand labels as this can be construed as tacky and showing off!

Be quietly smart and elegant.

X

b77
11th Jun 2007, 17:09
Hi All,

Could someone please forward me Volum 6 Bars and Documentation, as def some pages are missing from mine. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Many thanks.

DMED
12th Jun 2007, 22:24
Hello

I am one of the ones who have got the job with BA for Eurofleet LHR but still waiting for a call to have a course date. Does anyone know when are we most likely to be called? Any ideas when the next course is gonna be and when are they gonna call us? Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you, very much and happy flying !

speedmarque
13th Jun 2007, 08:07
Your figures are correct! It all depends on how much flying and where you fly but if you budget for an averagee somewhere between your two figures any more will be a bonus.

Waistcoat will be fine!

Cheers

Smell the Coffee
13th Jun 2007, 09:53
AMS, it's between approx £1500-1600 average take home on a full-time contract, and for a full month's work with no leave.

No one takes home £1200, that's way too low unless you've been off on leave, sick or training.

£1900 is high but possible on the occasional month dependent on what trips you get. You won't get that figure very often unless the only place you visit is Zurich/Geneva/Basel (admittedly that's all some crew seem to bid for).

Warning: your first 3 month's pay will be very low due to training, assigned rosters (unless a friend helps you to bid) and allowances paid in arrears.

Matt101
13th Jun 2007, 19:46
you probably heard £1200 as a LGW wage??? there it is £1200 - £1500 a month.

I think LHR EF take something not too far off WorldWide

Don't worry you'll be living it up soon!

PS Bidding is easy really - just remember to check the Filter button (You'll understand soon) if you want any info PM me. I'm at LGW but we use the same system and I always get what I ask for and I am dead Junior.

lovethesky
14th Jun 2007, 09:43
the crew bus is arranged by ba, some pick u up from the aircraft and some from arrivals in the terminal.
when u get to the hotel all the rooms should be ready, sometimes u are neighbours with your crew but sometimes you are spread out.
and as to what people do when u get to the hotel, well that depends on where u are and how much time you have there. usualy u at leats have a drink in the bar!!!!

MancRed
14th Jun 2007, 11:23
Anyone know how many CC courses can be run at the same time???

japanair
14th Jun 2007, 13:45
Has anyone on here had their interview on 29th cos now its getting really ridiculous.................nearly 3 weeks not a yes not a no...........i`ve received nothing. Interviewer told me 7 to 10 days which is well gone!!!!!!

b77
14th Jun 2007, 20:19
hi AMS-LHR

thats not necessarily the case, because my group is starting on th 18th and there is a group starting on 25th this month,

Smell the Coffee
14th Jun 2007, 21:00
AMS, their is a luggage store in the Compass centre which sells various types of hold & cabin baggage - it may not be the cheapest place to buy such items but it is quite convenient.

On shorthaul (LHR), you bring all your luggage into the cabin and store it in an overhead locker or wardrobe.

You're allowed a standard wheelie + a smaller cabin bag + handbag (for girls).

Best to try not to load it with too many things as you'll be lifting/handling your own bags quite a lot!

speedmarque
15th Jun 2007, 07:08
You can do pretty much everything from home on Crewlink. Rosters, leave, bidding, intranet..........everything. Its quite convenient.

With regards to baggage, get a wheelie bag with four wheels so you can drag it with ease. With T5 we will be walking large distances to gates.

Cheers

speedbird-lgw
15th Jun 2007, 10:46
so u reckon its best to have a spinner case ?or just a 2wheeled bag ?

also ams-lhr
where did u find the bargain case ?

MMCC76
15th Jun 2007, 18:33
Hiya, I'm in the same position as many others waiting in the holding pool for a start date, it's very frustrating but worth the wait! I was wondering if anyone else had an interview on the 21st May in the morning and was successful?

flyinghigh81
15th Jun 2007, 21:08
AMS-LHR I know what its like when you havent flown before but I am sure that by the time youve finished training all the little questions you have will have been answered by trainers and anyone you train with who has flown before! Though you never have all the answers - ive flown before and still have plenty of questions!

Only one month till my training!!!!

DECOFLY
17th Jun 2007, 21:14
Great, there's some great advise here, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

jwilli11
18th Jun 2007, 10:26
Hiya, I saw your post about your training date. Had my assessment day on the 29th May and was given my lovely congrats email on June 1st which I was chuffed to bits about am waiting waiting for a training date. How long did you have to wait? I am working for Lhr Eurofleet? Is anyone else out there in the same boat can;t wait to start....

Thanks much Jo Jo :rolleyes:

boyo25
19th Jun 2007, 22:03
Hi AMS-LHR,

Welcome to BA! Your posts remind me of my first joining the airline some years ago, all the questions and excitement! I'm sure you're going to have a ball!

When you nightstop, 99% of the time you will return to base with the same crew as your outbound. However, in a few instances you will be on a different itinery to the outbound crew and join a different crew for the return sector. I do recall some split duties (last flight out, first flight back into LHR) having this arrangement, although I'm longhaul crew now so I stand to be corrected.

Earliest report for Eurofleet is the 5am Paris. A trip that you really want to avoid if you're coming in on public transport. However, when I was on EF I always bidded for late starts and I rarely saw this trip on my roster. You would be surprised how many crew like this one - gets you back by about 11am IIRC! Not bad for a days work.

The Aurora across the road normally charges around £60 per night. It's fair to say that it is increasingly difficult to book a room here, the last couple of times I tried they were fully booked up. In fact even some back to back crews on longhaul often stay in the Aurora Park in Colnebrook as it's often chocka! There are other, less expensive, options all along the Bath Road and most will do a crew discount. Also, keep an eye out in the Compass Centre - there are lots of ads for B&B's, crew rooms etc at good rates and some are run by crew or ex-crew.

The facilities in the Compass Centre are good. There are showers, washrooms and storage areas for your luggage. There's also the infamous canteen, and a coffee shop (singles bar). However, the Compass Centre is winding down it's operations as most departments are being relocated in preparation to the opening of BA's saviour (haha) that is Terminal 5. I'm guessing by the time you come online there will be only six or so months before T5 opens so perhaps there will be less facilities available than there are now.

There are also 'quiet' rooms in the Compass for those who wish to get a few mins/hours shuteye before operating. You are not able to 'camp out' here overnight though - I know from experience! The Compass Centre most definately closes down once the last of the crews have been sent home from standby. If you're caught after that you'll be turfed out. I have known people to sleep in their cars before! :zzz:
Anymore Q's, give me a shout!

DMED
21st Jun 2007, 11:31
Hello guys!

Im glad to know there are some more people waiting for a course date same as me and i am not on my own. Does anyone know when next people waiting are gonna be called to offer a course date? The waiting is so horrible! :-( Any idea when next courses are gonna be? Please someone help us, the waiting souls...

Thank you and happy flying !

av8rboyz
21st Jun 2007, 18:52
Hi Guys

Are any of you on the course that starts on the 20th Aug, and need accomodation?
Im going to be starting on this course. Im going to be commuting from Manchester so im looking for a place to stay. Is anyone else out there who is looking for a place to stay during the course and looking to share???

Im a clean well presented and house broken guy who will be 30 by the time the course starts.

Any info or if any of you are looking to share some where get in touch.

BA Boi
22nd Jun 2007, 19:02
CSD's and Pursers don't allocate working positions - you choose your working postion based on your seniority number.

the CSD/Purser will have a crew list with all the crew on that flight listed into seniority order within grade.
the CSD then goes down the list calling out names and you respond with your choice of working postion on the aircraft you are due to operate on.

on your first flight you usually are rostered to fly with someone from your course - but this is not guaranteed.
you're not 'watched' really. you just tend to get thrown into the service (makes you learn fast!).
however, you will have to get the CSD/Purser to sign a form for you saying that you have operated on that aircraft for the first time and hand that back in somewhere at compass centre upon your return to LHR.