PDA

View Full Version : British Airways - Wannabes & Recruitment

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

boyo25
23rd Jun 2007, 21:54
Hi AMS

Regarding working positions and the scenario you described on the A320, yes you will be No. 4 working in Club with the Purser/CSD. Don't worry too much though, you'll soon move up the seniority list and before you know it you'll often have a choice of position.

When you receive your uniform, you can wear it whenever and where ever you like - including the commute into work and back. However, you will be expected to comply with BA Uniform Standards from day 1, the details of which are too many (and too dull!) to go into here! You'll get the BA uniform wearers manual and your trainers will go through the do's and don'ts.

BA take these standards very seriously and as a newbie in Cranebank you will accrue dreaded points if you breach these standards. Even when you start flying, CSD's and pursers may pull you up on something if they feel it's not to standard.

boyo25
23rd Jun 2007, 22:00
By the way, on your supernumery flight, make sure you get to sit in the flightdeck for take off and landing - you'll love it!

scottfly
24th Jun 2007, 08:03
Hi there.

Is there anyone out there who attended an interview for LHR on the 31st May and got accepted? Have you had a course date through as yet?

I got accepted the day after the interview, and to date have not been contacted ...

Cheers

Scottfly.

flybee
24th Jun 2007, 10:16
i guess we're all sitting in the same boat.....had my interview mid may and got also accepted. give them a ring last week to find out more...and was told courses are full and we're all in the hold pool and that will take at least 6 months. :eek:

The Cribbys
24th Jun 2007, 21:04
AMS-LHR

Your enthusiasm is so lovely to see. I flew last year on EF on a temp contract and the flight crew are always inviting you to sit on the flightdeck for take off and landing. The downside of the jump seat is that it has a seat belt which has a strap that is placed between the legs and into a harness. This is fine if you're wearing trousers but in a skirt you're sitting trying to cover up your knickers!!

As others have said you will often get left to work in club but you soon get the hang of things and the crews are fantastic. I'm starting my course on the 9th July so perhaps we'll get to meet. Hope you're getting on with your insight work OK.:)

The Cribbys
24th Jun 2007, 23:05
Ams/Lhr Its a shame you wont be wearing a skirt its so much more fun (for them and us) especially when yummy captain does the strap up for you...and no I'm no youngster. Just your average mid 40 type of girl (quite good legs tho) but is still something to brighten your day:O

You can have your ownchoice of name put on your badge provided its not rude or offensive. Think of any more questions then fire away.

lulutinkerbell
25th Jun 2007, 07:12
Just a quick reply re the jumpseat and the harness. I flew on the jump seat behind the Captain on the Concorde on several occasions! When they cleared it for take off, he swung round and unceremoniously shoved his hand up my skirt.....to do up the harness, I may add!

Then we were off down the runway at a ridiculous speed.......... exciting or what :)

jwilli11
25th Jun 2007, 07:36
Thanks for that hun must have just missed a space on the august training its good to see there is other people out there in the same boat :-) good luck with your training. Jo :)

MancRed
25th Jun 2007, 07:54
If this helps the people waiting for courses in the holding pool....I am being redeployed from ground staff in MAN and being told all courses are full and to expect start date around 20th sept and in total there is 73 of us...by the sounds if it all the staff from scotland are currently training or waiting for courses in august and then it will be us from MAN......I know its not good news and I know how you feel I have been waiting for 2 months for a start date and I work for them....
Jarvis

kikko
25th Jun 2007, 08:39
Uhmmm..so for the people who got the interview mid /end of may it (like myself) it looks like ythe wait is really 6 months from now....:hmm:...lets' hope we won't be offered something else instead...(eg LGW).

GODDESS OF DAWN
25th Jun 2007, 15:01
Hi Everyone I'm new in the forum !! :)

I am also redeployed ground staff from a BA European station and only received my BA CC Assessment results on the 12th of June and am still waiting for a course date. Hopefully I won't have to wait longer than Sep 20th either. :rolleyes:

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE ..... :p

japanair
25th Jun 2007, 15:37
hey there godess of dawn,

When did you have your interview???? I had mine 1 MONTH AGO and am still waiting for an answer from assesment! I rang to change my details and they said there is still no result:confused:. Other people on the same day as me have received answers already(NO,s) but me nothing........starting to get a little annoyed now as have been offered another cabin crew job abroad and cant give them a decision on taking it until I find out from BA!

speedmarque
25th Jun 2007, 20:09
Dear All

Latest "manpower" figures from the company:

NEW ENTRANT TRAINING PLAN:

June ‘07 - 66 permanent to EF
44 “ to SF LGW

July ‘07 - 66 permanent to EF
22 “ to SF LGW

Aug ‘07 - 22 permanent to EF
44 temporary to WW

Sept ‘07 - 88 temporary to WW

Oct ‘07 - 88 temporary to WW

Nov ‘07 - 44 temporary to WW

Jan ‘08 - 22 temporary to WW

ALL temporary crew will be posted onto ‘A’ division for 11 months and are made up of internal redeployments from BA ground staff in the regions.
Sorry to dissapoint those waiting.

scottfly
25th Jun 2007, 20:26
Hello speedmarque (or anyone else in the know)

Does this mean that if you have been accepted for LHR EF, and have yet to be given a course, you will probably have to wait until 2008 to start? A 7 month wait, is that normal at BA :(

Also, do you think they may offer us a LGW or TEMP WW contract? I don't really want either, as LGW is miles away from where I live and what attracted me to apply for LHR EF was that it wasn't a temp contract.

Any info or advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

abzyyy
25th Jun 2007, 20:29
Does it help if you have family members as a reference who have worked for BA for 25 years/more?

flybee
25th Jun 2007, 22:05
well what shall i say.....thank god i listened to my gut and started with virgin.......

GODDESS OF DAWN
25th Jun 2007, 22:21
:hmm: Well if what Speedmarque says is true, what about those redoployed who chose EF LHR (permanent) instead of WW LHR (temporary 11months)?

We were told that there were enough openings for everyone redoployed on EF at LHR? Does anyone know if there will be a course in SEP or after for the EF LHR lot? :confused:

MancRed
25th Jun 2007, 22:27
44 “ to SF LGW

22 “ to SF LGW

44 temporary to WW

you might get on one of these courses

just read back my post utter crap sorry:yuk:

no Iam not losing the plot you might get on
44 temporary to WW

GODDESS OF DAWN
25th Jun 2007, 22:42
Japanair hi there :), I'ts really strange that you have not yet received a reply re your interview :confused: normally they don't take that long. I had my interview on the 7th of June and received my result on the 12th of June.
:ok: Don't sit and wait, if you have been offered an opportunity with another airline don't hesitate and accept it. Afterall if BA calls you up eventually, you could make a decision to either stay on at that airline or change to BA. Thats what I would do but you might think differently ..... :O
All the best of luck anyway. :)

Hi Jarvis.... :ok: Many thanks for the info re CC courses...

kikko
26th Jun 2007, 08:20
I phoned up BA RECR. yesterday, asking about course dates for LHR EF for people who attended interview in may (external applicants).
They said it could be late september and october. I do not know if the info given over the phone are accurate / reliable...or they may just say anything...

I have read the previuos posts regarding courses and dates, and again wonder if they have been retrieved from an official source...or not.
I presume they are, in that case it really seems a very long and uncertain...wait for people who applied for LHR EF and would not accept anything else.

kikko
26th Jun 2007, 09:30
Hi everybody,

I apologise for posting my post here ...just thought I might get an answer from people who are more in the know....

I have been offered a c. crew position at LHR EF (had my interview at the end of May) and I am in the holding poole.

There have been many specultation as far as courses and dates are concerned. Does anybody know if there is any chance to be called for LHR EF (nothing else...not lgw or temp ww) in the near future or it'is likely to be a very long wait (eg. 2008)?

If you have some reliable information please let us know here... or by sending a PM.
I would also very much appreciate if yiou could PM BA HR phone number
(not the recr. 0870....) so I could periodically check with them.

Manymanymanymanyyyyyyy thanks!!!!

flybywire
26th Jun 2007, 09:36
hello kikko,

while I can't help you with news about lhr courses, I can tell you that the number you have been given is the same one we were using at lgw training department when we wanted to get hold of someone from human resources! so I'd suggest you took the name of someone who sounds nice and helpful and ask to speak to them every time you phone for info!
:)

lulutinkerbell
26th Jun 2007, 10:39
I had my interview in late April and have a starting date in July. When recruitment phoned to offer me the course date I hesitated momentarily but she said that if I didnt accept it I would have to wait until Jan 2008. I obviously accepted.

Japanair..... phone them immediately and ask. Surely they know if you have been accepted or not! Have you checked on their website for an e-mail incase it didnt copy to your private account or something. I cant understand it.

abzyyy........ I dont think the family/friend reference will speed up your getting on a course unless they have a contact in recruitment.

Lulu

scottishtrollylad
26th Jun 2007, 15:34
Thought it was very quiet not to have had a posting for a few days from you AMS-LHR!

Guy and girls waiting for course dates, keep holding on. Im sure something will come up soon enough.

I dont think BA know exactly whats happening with the crewing due to the people being relocated from different parts of the business.

Cranebank has the 2 new ef courses there and also the LGW crew and also WW people so there is a lot happening.

Just a matter of holding on and waiting. But i can understand how frustrating it must be!

peppermint
26th Jun 2007, 16:34
hi, guys.
Could any of you answer my questions?
I've only got very interested in applying for BA...so, I'm quite new to this thread...and my questions may sound a bit...well dull.
appologies, first.

1. I've been reading this whole thread and is it right that BA have three devisions-LGW shorthaul, LHR Europe and LHR World wide? I only guessed with all those terms you used :confused:...hope someone comfirm this for me.

2. from the above, I read there will be no recruitment until 2008 for now. is it true?

3. does BA ever recruite Permament LHR WW? if so, how often they do? roughly...

thanks in advance!

abzyyy
26th Jun 2007, 16:43
I dont mind workin for virgin... What are their requirements with regards to vision? As long as CAA class 1 is passed, is there nothing else?

lulutinkerbell
26th Jun 2007, 17:42
Peppermint.... I think that for LHR it is about every 2 years. The last time they recruited for LHR was Oct 2005, I know this becasuse I have waited patiently for the whole of that time. In between they recruited for LGW, but as you can see by reading, that all went a bit pear-shaped.

I certainly wouldnt hold your breath for another recruitment drive for a year or so. There are many WW CC who want EF and the Gatwick holding people and all the MAN staff etc......they also only 'release' ground staff intermittently to apply.

Infact it seems you have a much better chance if you are completely external.

Lulu

scottfly
26th Jun 2007, 18:17
I called BA Recruitment today and spoke to a very "curt" young man, who basically said he knew nothing as to when further calls were planned. They are probably a bit fed up with us calling, but I was quite taken aback by his tone of voice. Would have expected him to have been a bit more professional and sympathetic to the situation we are all in ...

Scottfly.

peppermint
26th Jun 2007, 18:49
thanks alot Lulu. :ok:

emboogie
26th Jun 2007, 19:56
hey guys and girls just wanted to share what a great day i had today in my second day of training !!
trainers are lovely and my course group is fab
went to compass center today for the first time and OMG what a amazing building but i felt like a fish in a very very LARGE pond , so daughting
:eek: xxxx

roll_over
26th Jun 2007, 20:15
I'm not cabin crew, but I did 2 days of work experience with cabin crew training and if I weren't aiming to be a pilot, I'd be cabin crew, the training at Cranebank was just so much fun!

The trainers are great there, you'll all enjoy it for sure!

And if you think the compass centre is nice, wait till you see waterside :ooh:

lovethesky
26th Jun 2007, 22:18
printed on our union web site

NEW ENTRANT TRAINING PLAN:
44 “ to SF LGW
22 “ to SF LGW
44 temporary to WW
Sept ‘07 - 88 temporary to WW
Oct ‘07 - 88 temporary to WW
Nov ‘07 - 44 temporary to WW
Jan ‘08 - 22 temporary to WW

ALL temporary crew are made up of internal redeployments from BA ground staff in the regions

so ba wont be recruiting externaly 4 ww temps

DMED
27th Jun 2007, 00:10
So if this is the planning for new courses, when will the guys still waiting for a course date, get a course then? in 2009? Anyone knows?

Thanks and happy flying

BA Boi
27th Jun 2007, 01:40
in answer to a question posted by somebody earlier:

only 4% of people who apply for the job as cabin crew with BA are eventually accepted for employment.

this was a fact stated by our former Director of In-Flight Service (who i would gladly welcome back with open arms - she is now thought highly of).

:cool:.

kikko
27th Jun 2007, 08:23
According to the figures posted it looks like by Aug 07 BA should call 154 c.crew for LHR EF (66+66+22).

If we consider that BA might have been recruiting an average of
25 people a day X 5 days X 20 weeks (4 months +...) and if it is true that approximately 6% of candidates are offered a job...the calculations are the following:

(25 x 5 x 20) = 2500

2500 x 6% = 150

Does this mean that in theory we all should be called by August?:)

GODDESS OF DAWN
27th Jun 2007, 08:38
:)Hi Lovethesky many thanks for that piece of info.

HELP !!!

:confused: Would like some advice from actual BA CC.

As I am redeployed BA European ground staff, I wanted a permanent contract so at the interview I said I wanted EF LHR.

I have heard that from a WW LHR temporary contract on termination you normally get offered SF LGW permanent? I need some feedback is this true? Or can I request EF LHR permanent after a WW LHR temporary?

As I still don't have a course date and from the information received re future course dates it looks like there won't be any available EF LHR in a long time.

:eek: I know that BA keeps applications for a year only.

Should I wait for a EF LHR course next year and take the risk of my application expiring.

Should I accept a WW LHR temporary contract and at termination risk being either sent home or offered an alternative contract at SF LGW.

Know I'm asking too many questions but I really would like to hear some good solid advice. Thanks. :sad:

kikko
27th Jun 2007, 09:03
Hi Goddess,

I am not "actual" cabin crew, but I have seen similar question to yours here and on cabincrew.com and this is what BA crew are saying :

1) A temporary contract is "A TEMPORARY" contract which means there is NO guarantee or obbligation from BA to offer you a permanent contract at the end of it.
2) IF a permanent contract is offered at the end of a temporary contract this will ONLY be for LGW and NOT for LHR (either EF or WW).
3)Your most crucial question:
Wait for LHR EF permanent or accept WW temporary?
This is a 10000000$ question...as I think nobody here really knows BA plans for the next 12 months....
Although I applied externally for LHR EF I find myself in the same boat as you...
If I will be offered WW Temporary instead.... I would not accept...but I think it depends on individual circumstances etc.

When and Where all the people re-deployed attended their interview?
Did they attend interview at cranebank toghether with external candidates?

MancRed
27th Jun 2007, 09:08
Staff from MAN who opted fro CC were interviewed at Cranebank in APR,MAY and JUNE there was no external candidates there on the days we were interviewed.....
Jarvis

kikko
27th Jun 2007, 09:21
Silly question...

what percentage on average of re-deployed people were successful at the interview? ...I would imagine most of them got the job..Or it works exactely as if they were external?

MancRed
27th Jun 2007, 09:23
No not everyone got offered a position not sure of the percentage...
Jarvis

crossroads-kid
27th Jun 2007, 10:50
Hey folks!

I have just been called to say all of my references have cleared and for anyone else starting on the 2nd I will see you there. Don't worry if you have not received your contract yet either as they have not sent them out!

For those of you still in the holding pool...be strong...you'll be there soon enough!

GODDESS OF DAWN
27th Jun 2007, 10:57
Hi Kikko,

I was with a group of 9 from 2 different European stations and had the interview in JUNE coinciding with a group from MAN. These interviews were only for redeployed staff. To answer your other question ...NO .. not everyone was successfull only 5 out of 9 from my group made it.

Whew!!! Must say the interview was nerve-racking :p

kikko
27th Jun 2007, 11:22
One thing to bear in mind:

All the various info posted on this forum are based either on more or less official information,(eg. from unions etc), logical "predictions", or on what has been happening in the past....however nothing is in cast iron and ultimately BA decide whatever suits it best...no mutter what.

So I would say it is very important to be in the right place at the right time.....and good luck everybody!

flyer55
27th Jun 2007, 14:56
Peppermint BA have 3 mainline divisions at the moment they are :

Eurofleet LHR - Airbus, 757/767
Worldwide LHR - 747, 777, 767
Gatwick Fleet - 737, 777 and Airbus.

Gatwick Cabin Crew do both Longhaul and shorthaul flying.

Current Longhaul Routes at LGW are Barbados, Bermuda, Tampa, Orlando, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Kingston, Antigua . Also , do shuttles to Port of Spain (trinidad), St Lucia, Tobago and Grenada.

With Houston and Dallas planning to go to LHR in March '08 , who knows what they are going to replace them with.

And with BA planning to start Longhaul Flights to USA from Europe

Watch this Space!!!!!!!!!

savvy_88
27th Jun 2007, 17:20
hi guys...

haven't been on this forum for a very long time...hope you all are well...and congrats to the people who have started their training...:ok::)

i was just wondering im preparing for my assesment which i have on the 10th july...and needed some advice from some people who have already had their interviews...:O

on the 2 to 1 interview...ive learnt soo much about BA:ugh: i wouldnt know where to start,:rolleyes: would it be best to stick to the current topics of BA rather then mention bout the past history...eg...when the company was privatised...etc etc

also...when they ask you why ba...what should i mention?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::confused::confused:

any help shape or form would be soooo appreciated....
:ok::E:O:)
thanks guys! xxx

levyjet
27th Jun 2007, 19:45
How gutted am I.... had an interview booked for BA EF LHR on weds 4th July,
Just received an email this evening advising that 'due to operational reasons' we are not holding any assessments days in July. Been put on hold until further dates (if any) become available.

Anyone else in the same boat??
and does anybody have any genuine idea what's going on PLEASE.....

Thanks guys

Smell the Coffee
27th Jun 2007, 20:50
Perhaps your interview has been postponed due to redeployment of ground staff from the now-closed (or closing) regional bases to cabin crew based at LHR?

Either way, I feel very sorry for those still in the application process or without dates for a course.

Unfortunately, this is the bad side of the company...they can be VERY disorganized; you will come to notice this after a few months at work (which I hope will be the case for all of you).

Our crew numbers NEVER seem to be 'right'.....one month we are apparently short of crew, the next we have too many.

For those of you joining the airline industry for the first time, remember this: CHANGE IS ALWAYS IN THE AIR!

Good luck to all of you.

levyjet
27th Jun 2007, 21:28
Thanks, I just hope something positive happens in the near future.
Having worked for BA CitiExpress at MAN for 6 years, I really want to join mainline!

Oh well, stay positive I guess.... I should know the company by now!

Many thanks for your comments though.

Smell the Coffee
27th Jun 2007, 23:33
There are always lots of people wanting/considering moving between the fleets; equally, there are many valid reasons why people want to move fleet.

Some just want a change, others move to EF in order to get promoted/part-time (both these take much longer on WW), some don't want to come to work every day/want to commute from overseas (WW is better for this), some think the only 'proper' plane is a Jumbo...etc. etc. LOL, ok the last one was a joke...

Everyone has their reasons.

A good piece of advise is to put your name on every 'list' going...WW, EF, part-time etc. It's better to be in a position to turn down offers than to wish you'd put yourself on a transfer or part-time list.

GODDESS OF DAWN
28th Jun 2007, 09:35
Many thanks for your advice. :)

As a redeployed European BA ground staff I will be commuting as I have a family. I know commuting is tough on EF LHR but I have no choice at the moment as I want a permanent contract.
However I will put my name down on WW LHR and part-time llists as you said in the hope that one-day commuting will be made easier. :ok:

jwilli11
28th Jun 2007, 10:08
Hiya everyone else out there waiting for a training date. I called BA Recruitment line today and was told they have over recruited so applications and successful applicants were in a holding pool for up to 12 months. I was hoping to get on the sept training date my interview was at the end of May so fingers crossed. Anyone else out there on the Tuesday 29 May interview in the afternoon? :):\

kikko
28th Jun 2007, 12:02
According to the Lovethesky post, ALL WW TEMPORARY position will be offered ONLY to redeployed staff.

It also seems that redeployed staff have been given the choice between WW TEMPORARY and LHR EF PERMANENT......True???

So, if the majority of redeployed staff choose LHR EF PERM. it is very likely that external LHR EF in the holding poole will be offered WW TEMP.:rolleyes:
It seems that they over recruited so that they are now cancelling interviews and so far (from what can gather from this forum) SEPT /OCT....training are ONLY for WW TEMP..........

Has anybody got a clue..? Have I missed something?:confused:

scottfly
28th Jun 2007, 18:28
Well, if those people that were sucessful for LHR EF then get sent to WW TEMP I will not join. If this happens, this whole application and interview process would have been a complete waste of time and energy.

Not happy!

Scottfly.

GODDESS OF DAWN
28th Jun 2007, 18:52
:eek: FYI quite a few of the BA European deployed staff who asked for EF LHR don't have a course date either. :hmm:

I know for sure that if I'm offered WW LHR temp I won't take it unless they can guarantee an automatic transfer to EF LHR at the end of the contract. :hmm:

Well well... let's just see what happens...:sad:

MancRed
28th Jun 2007, 21:21
No BA don't do redundency they have a posh name called severence.....
Jarvis

schwing1
29th Jun 2007, 10:12
Has anyone been offered a training date in september or october yet? Im still waiting for call as had interview on 23rd may. thanks x

speedmarque
29th Jun 2007, 11:57
Severence and redundancy are two completely different things Jarvis. Your post suggests BA uses a different name to "hide" redundancy and that is misleading.

The Cribbys
29th Jun 2007, 13:14
I am starting my LHR EF course on the 9th July and am a bit concerned that I havn't received my contract yet. Spoke to Recruitment today and was told not to worry I would receive it during my training course. Now call me suspicious but having worked for BA before (twice) it worries me that they could change their mind about whether to put me on WW temp or send me to LGW both of which have different contract types. Last year ( as a Temp) they were so effecient and my contract signed 2 weeks before my start date so it's worrying.

As Smell the Coffee points out and I agree with them 100% you never know when BA will change it's mind. On a positive note, to all of you waiting for a course date, even if you've been told there's nothing till next year it could change tomorrow.

kikko
29th Jun 2007, 15:29
Hi The Cribbys, what you are saying is very interesting indeed.

I know BA can change its mind and can offer you a temp contract and / or other fleet other than what you might have applied (and been interviewed for) in the first place.

However I would have thought that when you are offered a training date you would also be told what airport and fleet you'll be allocated to, even more if they are unable to send you the contract before the training start.
Personally I would never start a training and let alone leaving my job if I don't know exactely what I am in for, and I would expect that any reputable company would not expect me to do otherwise.

lulutinkerbell
29th Jun 2007, 15:33
The Cribbys

I am on that course and I also have not had my contract. I am just having faith that it will happen! I intend to turn up by 8.30 as instructed to start my training for EF LHR.

I understand from another cc forum that the contracts are being sent out very late, one person got theirs the Friday before the Monday start.

I am certainly not counting my chickens but at this stage one hopes that all is well. I have not heard if my references are ok either, and since I only have 2 and one is BA themselves, I can only guess which one is holding it all up! :ugh:

Anyway, hopefully see you Monday week.

L x

emboogie
29th Jun 2007, 17:22
hi guys and girls just had my first week of training and utterly shattered
Are whole course was in the same situation that no one recieved there contracts but we asked the trainers and they got them for us on the first day:) i dont know about ba changing your postion but if you had a verbal of what you have applied for ,then i would think that is enough untill you get your contract? (i can understand the worry though )trainers are very good at sorting things out when you finally get there which make a nice difference from the mess admin are :)!!!!!

G-MEDA
29th Jun 2007, 20:44
I'm gutted too! Had my interview scheduled on 4th July and it was cancelled until further notice.... my application will be held on file for one year.... As someone else suggested they must have overrecruited...
I had actually sent them an email asking to postpone my interview due to unexpected circumstances and a few hours later got that email... I must say I though they had sent me that email because I was not able to attend the assessment on a day I had chosen...
Well, let's wait and see........

ladyflyby
29th Jun 2007, 23:05
AMS - Take you shoes with you to the fitting, I did. It helps with posture! Pick me up a size 8 skirt for me while you're there, they only gave me trousers!!! :ugh:

emboogie
30th Jun 2007, 11:16
hello your right the trainers are fantastic !!:D its hard stuff and alot to learn but the trainers are good at what they do and FUNNY which makes it less stressful.

sorry to hear all those people that have had there interviews cancelled hopefully a year wait is the worst senrio and more are around the corner which good luck when it does!

ps did anyone find uniforms a bit rude???

MancRed
30th Jun 2007, 12:14
Severence and redundancy are two completely different things Jarvis. Your post suggests BA uses a different name to "hide" redundancy and that is misleading.

IMHO that is exactly what BA does

The Cribbys
30th Jun 2007, 15:15
Thanks for that Lulu feel a lot better knowing the contracts are being sent out late - I got totally paranoid there for a minute (well the whole day actually). :)

I would feel happier having a contract though but BA havn't contacted my personal referee yet and recruitment told me not to worry about it - so I shan't.

See you bright and early on the 9th.

H

HZ123
30th Jun 2007, 16:33
For info of all we close down virtually for August hence the reason some interviews have been postponed. Be assured there are still several hundred CC required and may be more. Here at CBK (Cranebank) the admin people can not run a ........ at the proverbial, thus the reason for contracts being doled out in the first week. Be assured it is all very normal and best of luck to all.

kikko
30th Jun 2007, 18:06
HZ123, this is very good news and give hope to all waiting for a training date or an interview.
Thank you and keep us upadated pleeese!!:)

Smell the Coffee
30th Jun 2007, 20:06
HZ, that's great news for all the wannabes; without asking you to reveal anything, can we assume from your statement that you are in a position to be pretty certain BA will resume recruitment for cc?

One of my friends has applied and, like many, was gutted when the interview was cancelled via email.

crossroads-kid
1st Jul 2007, 12:16
Ok - this is possibly a bit late to be asking this as I start tomorrow but I have just realised that I have not been sent the above.

Anyone any ideas?

crossroads-kid
1st Jul 2007, 12:21
No apparently I should have a Resourcing Information passport but I have not recieved one. Supposed to be a little blue card with your picture in it???

Any ideas so I can sleep tonight?

emboogie
1st Jul 2007, 13:28
dont worry about the blue passport thing i did not get it till my first day of training with my contract :)
hope that puts your mind to rest and can sleep like a baby:}

crossroads-kid
1st Jul 2007, 13:44
You are a star! I was having a bit of a stress about that but thanks for the info!

The Cribbys
2nd Jul 2007, 08:11
It's sort of an ID substitute until that get's issued and you should have it to show security when you arrive at Cranebank so thet they'll let you in. It comes with your contract which,as we now know, is issued during your course. Hmmmmm:ugh:

lulutinkerbell
2nd Jul 2007, 08:33
I had also been wondering what is is.

Now we know :)

Not got mine yet though!
L x

lulutinkerbell
2nd Jul 2007, 18:49
Cranebank training is at the back of The Rivers so it is all the buildings you would have passed to walk to the Rivers. The security guys on the gate will tell you where to go I am sure. I expect someone here will fill you in with further details. You can park in the multi storey opposite.

Dont panic! All will become clear...........:)

L x

emboogie
2nd Jul 2007, 21:27
hello just to let you know your first day go to security booth opposite the car park with photo id (hint it gets busy in the morning so give your self time to get in) all will be revealed as to what to fill in. once through the iron gate lovely BA peeeps in uniform wait out side and point you in the right direction so i hope that helps some what!!!! :)
training is fantastic my brain is mush so much information!! had my first exam today pleased to know i passed but got another three tommrow :8:sad:

so fingers and anything else i can cross for tommrow lol

batriple7
3rd Jul 2007, 16:03
I had my interview at the beginning of April and was successful but am still waiting for a start date. Looking at other responses regarding this it seems as though only temp slots will be coming up. What will happen if we dont get anything for a year , will we have to reapply and go through this procedure all over again.?

How is the selection procedure done , by interview or by who they can get hold of when they pick up the phone with the verbal offer.

Seems strange that people who were interviewed after me have got start dates - no hard feelings as I am sure eventually we will all get something but just the waiting ......... thank goodness I havent resigned from my current job

flyingpanther
4th Jul 2007, 15:24
i've been told that basically they go through a list of successful candidates and call them one by one, if they can't get hold of you they call the next person, they don't leave messages or send emails that's why some people on the same assessment day may not have the same starting date and some of you who went for their interview ages ago are still waiting while others are already on a course!
I find it disgusting and unfair. It seems that the admin part is a really shamble but apparently the quality of the training makes you forget all the palaver you have to go through before you've even started.I'm lucky enough to be on course but I've had to fight for it.
Good luck to everybody

pepito.perez
4th Jul 2007, 21:49
Hi guys!

I'm waiting for my starting date as well and to be honest with you, I've made a huge sacrifice only to be here, waiting for the phonecall.
For me BA is the best airline, but what if...
Do you think it's a suitable suggestion to have a plan B or it's not worthy the effort? :sad:

Cheers!

kikko
4th Jul 2007, 21:50
Has anyobody who's been offered a training date, been contacted by e mail rather than by phone?

Londonphilou
4th Jul 2007, 22:18
I had my interview on the 17 of May and the next day I was told I was successful but have not heard anything so far.
Flyingpanther, what do you mean by "I'm lucky enough to be on course but I've had to fight for it" ??
I have a lot of things recently but I do not feel like pestering them by calling so often. I have my mobile phone on all the time and I am sure they would also try the other numbers that have been given in the application form.

pepito.perez
4th Jul 2007, 22:27
Hi AMS!

Well, as I said before, in my opinion BA is the best Airline and the only one I would like to work for,(this is like if I were talking about my wife), but, if I have to wait till next year to get my starting date, I think maybe would be nice to work for another airline that doesn't make you wait such a long time. At the end of the day a job is just a job, do you know what I mean?

But here is when all my doubts assault me. Do you think that's a good idea?, Shall I accept a different offer and then resign when BA calls me?,
or shall I accept a different offer and dismiss the BA one?, or shall I keep my current job, forget this new offer and then resign when I get the BA call?, Is BA really such a good company?:rolleyes:

Ohhh, life is so complicated!!!. I'm sorry for this, guys

Cheers!

DMED
4th Jul 2007, 22:34
Hello Londonphilou

When did you do your interview, in the morning or in the afternoon? I did it on May the 17th too and still waiting for a course date as well. We might have done the interview on the shame day and shift.

I was one of the spanish guys flying for Bmed at the moment.

Hope we get a course date soon!

x

Londonphilou
4th Jul 2007, 23:35
Hi DMED
Yes I had mine in the afternoon and in my group exercise there were 2 Spanish guys from Bmed. Which one are you? The very tall one or the other one? I am the dark guy...:uhoh:
I am hoping to hear from Ba soon..cant wait to start but at the same time I am sure they know what they are doing..

AussieBoy8
5th Jul 2007, 00:05
Hi guys, I am moving from Sydney Australia next year to live in London. Can anyone tell me if my UK Ancestry Visa will allow me to work for BA. The website says you need an EU Passport.
Thanks

emboogie
5th Jul 2007, 08:34
dear pepito
i can understand your dilema but if ba is what you want hang in there! its so fustrating waiting for that phone call as you feel the world has stop on its axes and wont start up till that phone call finally arrives.
ba is great once you get through the admin part but i think thats what comes with such a large company:ugh:
choosing wether to wait it all depends in the job your in now if you cant stand it i would leave to another airline and go to BA when they finally call you never know you actually might like the airline your with and turn down BA!!! your options are quite open just do what you feel is right. keep on coming on to the forums there great therpy in a wired sort of way when what you feel like is in limbo land (dont worry many people are there as well and on this forum):).
i dont know if you flown before but if not maybe going to another airline and it goes as far as you start flying with that company before ba call ( as ive known people who go through all the training course and then leave that airline and do another training course with airline that they was waiting for)
Also doing it that way you get to feel the world of aviation and trust me its another world compared to working a 9 to 5:}

sorry about this looooong post but i hope it kinda helps your dilema a bit :)

pepito.perez
5th Jul 2007, 09:29
Dear emboogie and AMS

Oh, thank you very much for your help guys, what you said is more or less the same thing i was thinking, Quit my current job, join the new company and then accept the BA offer whenever it comes. I think it's the best option in my situation.

Well guys, lets keep in touch, you're great!!
cheers!

TEACAS
5th Jul 2007, 09:29
Apologies if I continue to beg the question but I was successful in my BA i/view which I had mid-May and was merely wondering what time frame am I looking at as far as being allocated a course date was concerned. Could it be around the autumn time? Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks to you all who've posted replies to the previous threads

flyingpanther
5th Jul 2007, 09:35
We are on the same course AMS-LHR

emboogie
5th Jul 2007, 09:43
hello to tell you truth i have no idea what format ba recruitment works?? tryed to figure it out but then they go and do something that does not sound logical! people have been called and given a course date within a few days to a week and other souls have been waiting/given a course date the following year!!!!:ugh: its just a matter of surgically attaching the phone to your ear so you dont miss that phone call as to what ive heard if you do they go down/across or iny mini miny mo with the page of names and numbers! after you.:)

pepito.perez
5th Jul 2007, 10:46
hi guys!

emboogie, you know of any good plastic surgeon???!!!!!:D;):}

TEACAS, a few pages ago there were some interesting posts with all the figures of recruitment and dates BA is gonna be starting training courses.

Hope it helps, just have a look at previous posts.

Cheers!

P.D. Just go to page 31 and have a look.

TEACAS
5th Jul 2007, 12:42
Thank-you emboogie and pepito for taking the time to answer my previous Q. I think it'd be a shame if I and other poor individuals in that pool miss the boat pending the names in there are only valid for 12 months from your i/view date. :(

pepito.perez
5th Jul 2007, 13:08
Hi guys!

I have some news fresh from the oven!!
I just got an email (1 min. ago) offering me the chance to move my application back to LGW as apparently they have some courses available. I accepted the offer, lets see how long it will take this time.:hmm:

Cheers!

G-MEDA
5th Jul 2007, 14:08
I have also received the same email not long ago....

will not accept lgw, but wondering if they will still keep people on file for EF.... email doesn't mention anything and you are kindly requested not to phone them.....

any idea anyone? thanks..

jwilli11
5th Jul 2007, 14:20
Hi everyone waiting for training...:yuk: I had my assessment day the end of may and have since been waiting for training. I hear they have over recruited and all sorts and it all sounds a bit vague. Today I was told that there is no training for the coming months which is more vague ness BUT " If I was interested in joining Gatwick to register interest". Has anyone else out there been offered this? I have not responded as I am happy to patient and wait to join Eurofleet. Any advise or tips out there? In the meatime I am appying to Flybe so i can get some experience in the air. Bring on these training dates can't wait to get working for BA and totally sympathies with everyone else out there, at least we not alone in the long wait... :)

Londonphilou
5th Jul 2007, 14:29
I have also been offered Gatwick course today but I dont know what to do.
I waited for 2 years to apply for LHR and now that I got through, they want to give me Gatwick! Its ok there I hear but I am not sure about taking it.
Will have to make a decision soon.

schwing1
5th Jul 2007, 14:50
I also got email. Im not interested in Lgw. Anyone else who is just gona wait in the hold pool? I hope they get in contact with us at some point tho dont want to be just waiting and waiting and then get nothing at the end of it.

Londonphilou
5th Jul 2007, 14:52
I think thats a risk we have to take if you really want LHR!
They might turn back to us and tell us that we were offered Gatwick and we refused it and willing to wait for LHR but did advise that it could be a long wait.

scottishtrollylad
5th Jul 2007, 15:46
Guys and Girls

Just to let you know, even if you do get offered a course for LHR, BA can still and have done on numerous times changed it to LGW and vice versa.

There is the little sentance in the contract saying your fleet will be advised on your course and your location is London. and due to operational requirements you may be at any base the company needs you.

So try not shoot yourself in the foot, remember it was the first time for few years BA have recruited for LHR EF so if your application is only valid for a year then you may never get offered LHR EF and will miss the opportunity of working for BA if you didnt accept the LGW job as the application only stays live for a year

Think carefully

Good luck in your choices

jwilli11
6th Jul 2007, 01:02
Have just read your post and it has def made me think. Am keen to start working for BA and don't want to miss my slot. Do you know if its working for BA or GB Airways and what is the diffence I have just read the news that BA are looking to operate one group of staff for long and short haul from gatwick. I am not sure wheather to hold out for EF or take the bull by the horns...

jwilli11
6th Jul 2007, 01:06
I live down in Bouremouth and was really looking forward to working at Heathrow as its an easy commute and gatwick is that bit further. The wages at heathrow seemed quite good am considering taking the training for gatwick but being new to the air have no idea about hours or money any info would be much appreciated? Thanx

The Cribbys
6th Jul 2007, 08:28
jwilli 11

Think long and hard about your decision. I worked as a temp on LHR SH last year. At the end of the 6mths I was offered a full time position but at LGW. I turned this down left and reapplied this year and am lucky enough to be starting a course on Monday. My main reasons for not going to LGW was the poor pay, hard working conditions and the commute.

However most of my training course (one a good friend) did take up the option and are permanent at LGW doing a mixture of shorthaul and longhaul work, There is a bid sysyem for work but it is done on seniority (unlike LHR) so to start with you would possibly end up with the least popular trips. My friend loves the base and says the crews are fantastic and he likes the mixed flying but is just waiting to come back to LHR because he's finding it difficult to live on the money. Lots of people are leaving and they are now desperately short of crew at LGW.

So good luck with your decision it's a tough one.I wish you all the best:D

Hx

The Cribbys
6th Jul 2007, 08:31
Only 3 days to go now and still no contract. All this talk of LGW is bringing out my paranoid side again:)

See you Monday

Hx

lulutinkerbell
6th Jul 2007, 15:59
I dont have a contract either. I have been waiting for the phone to ring all day saying it was all a big mistake! Too late now, I have left my job! This thread is not exactly inspiring confidence is it!

See you Monday bright and early!

AMS - Thanks - will keep you informed. you will be the most fully informed external candidate they have ever had! :)

L x

crossroads-kid
6th Jul 2007, 17:16
Hi folks!

For those of you starting your courses soon don't worry about the contracts - you won't get them until the 1st or 2nd day! If you have had a erbal contract this is just as good as anything and you have a start letter to show you'll be just fine.

When you had your call they will have advised you of your fleet. I have just finished week 1 and it has been great fun but be ready for a lot of hard work!

domonion
6th Jul 2007, 17:48
hi. i'm starting my course on 16th july, does anyone know if it's monday to friday, nine - five? cheers. x

lulutinkerbell
6th Jul 2007, 18:14
AMS - dont worry

All will become clear!
L x

jde
6th Jul 2007, 18:16
blimey AMS, still posting like a good un! :} I am guessing you have friends at BA who have told you this as you have yet to join the ranks?

jde
6th Jul 2007, 18:48
glad to hear it. you must know a lot about ba already. any other questions you have will definately be covered during your course. as has been said on here before, the ba training is second to none, very comprehensive. so don't worry, you will know everthing you need to know when you come online ;)

jde
6th Jul 2007, 19:25
no no! just wanted to reassure you that everthing you need to know will be covered in your course. you are very enthusiastic and that is wonderful, nice to see! just wanted to put your mind at rest.

pepito.perez
6th Jul 2007, 19:29
:) NO WAY!!!, Having you here is really cool, honestly, I'm learning a lot since you're here!!
Cheers!

jde
6th Jul 2007, 19:44
AMS fear not, very few fail the course unless utterly dreadful. the trainers are wonderful and will give you help at every step. you are really keen so that will go in your favour trust me, in spite of me giving you a bit of a rib! it is a bit like learning a new language when you come to flying but trust me, you will do it so keep the nose in the book and know your stuff, you wont go wrong. best of luck

pepito.perez
6th Jul 2007, 19:51
Oh yeah!, and keep on asking questions, PLEASE!!!!!:D

jde
6th Jul 2007, 20:01
indeed! no question is a stupid question, I think we can all agree with that. but like nursing, there will be equal amounts of support and ribbing when you join the skies! but generally you will be supported AMS

jde
6th Jul 2007, 20:55
oh ok.well enjoy your course, ask lots of questions, it's the time to do it. you will do really well I am sure. treat everyone with respect, dont call anyone a "chicken" and you will soon be out flying and doing your stuff. if your enthusiasm on pprune is anything to go by you will make a great crew member ;)

The Cribbys
6th Jul 2007, 21:19
This was on another forum. Letter sent out today

Please accept our apologies for not being in touch with you sooner.

At this current time I am afraid that due to changes to our business
requirements, there are no further Eurofleet courses planned for the coming
months.
However, we are currently recruiting for Gatwick and have courses available.

If you are interested in joining Gatwick and would like to be considered, please
could you register your interest via email to [email protected] ([email protected]).

If you are not interested and would like to be stay in the hold pool for
Eurofleet, your application is valid for 12months from the date of your
assessment.

In the meantime, we will keep you informed of any further changes that may occur
in the future.

Please can I ask that you refrain from calling our recruitment line.

Many Thanks

B A Recruitment

sweety
6th Jul 2007, 21:29
My main reasons for not going to LGW was the poor pay, hard working conditions and the commute.
"hard working conditions" - :) You obviously haven't worked for charter! ;)

The Cribbys
6th Jul 2007, 21:37
I have actually and that's why I don't wanna do it again:)

scottfly
6th Jul 2007, 23:34
It sure is, charter is a hard slog, especially if its short haul only. I did it and would not want to go back. I've now made it into BA and can't get a course ..

BTW, have you guys seen that they are now recruiting externally for LGW?

What is going on in the world of BA??

Scottfly.

The Cribbys
7th Jul 2007, 07:51
Scottfly

I posted a letter on here which was sent out yesterday by BA saying they have no more business requirements for further Eurofleet courses in the next few months. They do however have LGW courses and you have to register for one of these or stay in the EF holding pool. They have suddenly become very short of crew at LGW.
Good Luck

Hx

jde
7th Jul 2007, 20:15
AMS, I understand your concerns, but I am sure you need have no worries. BA have every right to move you to LGW if they see fit before you sign your contract as your base is London. But I am fairly sure your course will be LHR. I am sure the person on the phone offered you LHR but I am suprised that wages were discussed as the basic pay is pretty much the same between bases. You have the potential to earn more at LHR with the different allowance system but I dont understand how that can be confirmed because it cant. I would be interested to hear how the pay was discussed with you.

speedmarque
7th Jul 2007, 20:31
A great decision to listen to the facts that come from BA and not everybody on here winding each other up!

People should learn from your example.

jde
7th Jul 2007, 20:32
a wise move, stop fretting and see what happens. the world of British Airways is sometimes an uncertain one but until you sign your contract you have no voice. Years ago you wouldn't know your fleet until you were half way through your training course!

jde
7th Jul 2007, 20:42
hee hee! cheeky monkey! no not at all! I guess my bits of advice come across a bit old school do they?

SuperBoy
8th Jul 2007, 12:13
Ams,

Read your contract. BA reserves the right to move you where it wants you within the first 2 years of your employment.

I'm not saying its going to happen however the sooner you realise your just a number to this company the better on you.

Having said that it is a great company for various reasons so I'm sure you will love it.

SB

Smell the Coffee
8th Jul 2007, 12:22
the sooner you realise your just a number to this company the better on you.

And the 757 won't smell of strawberries!

Jay_solo
8th Jul 2007, 13:14
As BA are recruiting for Gatwick, what are the major differences (Besides pay)between LHR Euroflight and Gatwick (i.e type of flying, aircraft, roster bidding system etc)? If there is a previous thread, please point me in that direction.

Thanks

:ok:

flybywire
9th Jul 2007, 07:11
jde is right till 2004-2005 BA would tell you what base you were going to fly from only mid-course!!! So...not old timer at all, AMS-LHR!!!!

I speak for myself and my colleagues we fought a lot for people like you to know where they were going to work before they applied/started working for BA.

Having said that they can give you a contract let's say based at LHR EF but send you to WW for a secondment or any other combination possible. They have the "right" to send you to another fleet during the first 2 years if requirements dictate so.

lovethesky
9th Jul 2007, 10:56
remember we are also very very short of crew at lhr euro, and with 100 crew due to move to longhaul this month we wll be even shorter. i think those in the euro pool will be contacted soon but they will try and bully u into lgw first. when i started 3 years ago and was waiting for a course i got offered lgw str8 away and was told no more courses for lhr for a while, then 2 weeks later got a euro start date.!!!!
nothing changes.

dont be bullied into lgw it is a fab base, but you earn peanuts, lgw is in a mess because soooo many people are leaving, that should say enuff

flybywire
9th Jul 2007, 11:43
You are indeed right about people leaving SFLGW, howver, just my humble thought, it's not very nice to make lgw base look like c**p. BA doesn't bully anyone into joining, yes they might offer lgw when it's available but for my experience the people who offer courses know nothing anout what's coming up (I worked for the training admin when grounded and I never knew anything in advance myself) so if they say we do not know how long it'll take to place you on a LHR course it's because they do not know what the plan is in advance!!!)

There are good and bad points for both bases, but the last thing we want is new but annoyed crew to join our base because they believe they have been "bullied" into comin to LGW.At the end of the day nobody signs for them, the responsibility is only theirs. Things are a bit different from when you and I joined, now you know what you're applying for and you can stick to what you want, even if it cantake years.

LGW is not as bad as it is described by who doesn't work there, it's true it's facing some problems now as many people (particularly new crew) have left and I believe that one of the many reasons is because of all the negativity that goes around. Unfortunately grumpy people are contagious!!! :(

Londonphilou
10th Jul 2007, 17:50
I am intrigued by this ongoing debate between LGW and LHR supporters. I am personally not a sun and sea person and being at Gatwick would mean flying to the Carribean a lot. I have chosen LHR because of Im more of a city person. I understand the money is a little bit more at LHR but you still need money to spend when you are away. And I suppose it comes to the individual at the end of the day. The person who drinks less, dont smoke and dont splash on expensive stuff will take more money home, right? So whether you are at Gatwick or not, its how you manage your money that really counts.

Jay_solo
10th Jul 2007, 22:24
With a basic £10,399 on offer for LGW vacancy, I worked out (via online PAYE tax calc) you can take home around £745 after tax and NI. Obviously this figure excludes allowances. So on average, how much do you take home with allowances on top of basic? (A ball park figure would do) The BA website say its possible to make £500 per month. Is it realistic to consistantly make around that figure (totaling around £1200 pm)

RNboi
11th Jul 2007, 11:35
Jay, Ignore all the hype that you read from a few months ago on this forum regarding appalling take home pay, that was last year when we were going throught the transition to Single Fleet and we had too many crew to man the routes as they were phased over to us.

Now that it is all up and running the take home pay is usually satisfactory, I work at LGWSF and usually take home approx £1450-£1600 per month and I only joined in 2006 so do not have years of annual increments behind me. Of course if you have leave or sickness this figure will be lower.

I have worked at both bases for BA and I have to say that I prefer LGW, it is all down to personal choice but at the outset you work where BA need you, currently LGW, if BA is your hearts desire as an employer then you should take it and transfer to LHR at a later date.

Pax Agent
11th Jul 2007, 11:41
AMS-LHR has it spot on....LGW is fantastic fun with fantastic crew who are ALWAYS up for another party downroute!!! I have some brilliant memories already after only 10 months!
Also pls ignore the money thing where people spout off about taking home £900. These are the people who either go mad with their crew card then wonder where there pay has gone....are part time....or bid for SBY and there + backs!!!
I have 10 months seniority (which funnily enough means there are approx 400 peeps below me with more to follow) and I can take home on average £1300-£1600 after my crewcard deductions and union dues etc etc.
Considering I also have to claim another payrise this year and a further in Feb next year it really doesn't take long to boost your wages.
The money is still in BA but you have to work your way up to it!

Good luck guys....and for those of you coming to LGWSF...my room at 7 for a room party....yeah!? ;)

XX

Pax Agent
11th Jul 2007, 11:44
for attn of Jaysolo....you are looking at obviously £500 being a bad month.
£600 would be if you were unlucky with yr roster £700 average and £800 a good month. THis month I have a 7 day Antigua plus an Orlando, Dallas, Houston and Amsterdam night stops. Plus with 1 day rest day working my allowances are working out at approx £1000!!!!!!! :eek:

lovethesky
11th Jul 2007, 13:38
its good to hear that things arnt as bad as said at lgw. but how often would you £1000 per month in allowances?? at lhr euro £1000 is a bad month, £1700 in allownces can be achievable, with an average of £1400 in allowances.

Pax Agent
11th Jul 2007, 14:18
love the sky do you actually work for eflhr? £1700 eems a bit (alot) far fetched to me! Unless you get constant ZRH ZRH GVA ZRH but remember everyone is looking for the money routes!

BA Boi
11th Jul 2007, 16:42
£1,700 in allowances ontop of basic salary is certainly achieveable on EF LHR, however, a more regular figure would be £1,300 to £1,500 in allowances.

:cool:.

Jay_solo
11th Jul 2007, 17:49
Thanks guys, you all answered my question. Now that I have established that the pay after basic is very good, this is more encouraging. I would prefer LGW because I live very close by (20 mins by train), so communting and stby wouldnt be a problem. Plus I am from the caribbean and I travel stateside alot. So the routes would suit me perfectly.

Just another question, I heard they issue you a blind line for your first roster? So does that mean you can't bid for anything? Can you swap a trip or days off on your first roster? And what about your second roster?

Also, I know training is at Gatwick with about a week at heathrow, do you train on the weekends too?

Thanks
:ok:

emboogie
11th Jul 2007, 18:31
hello jay_solo can only answer one of your questions:}
training is also on weekends may get one sat or sunday off but over all its very random which i think there trying to reflect what life is like in the crew world!! when it comes to rostering anyway!

airbus777
12th Jul 2007, 09:37
I am at LRH EF AND 1500 pounds allowances a month is average,i had a weeks leave and my days off a couple of months ago and still achieved 1300 in allowances.Anything between 1300 and 2000 allowances a month is the norm,and i do not bid for swiss routes!!

airbus777
12th Jul 2007, 09:48
Sorry am at LHR EF!!still early in morning!!

richxby
12th Jul 2007, 13:01
Hi everyone

I see BA are recruiting for LGW crew again.

I currently fly charter and average take home pay inc allowances etc is usually around £1200-1500 month.

Is anyone here with BA LGW now and could tell me what the pay, conditions, trips are like please? Would it be worth the move?

Cheers!

ratty8587
12th Jul 2007, 13:29
Hi everyone, i'm in need to know a few things,
if based at LGW do you get a mixture of lh/sh flights or can u just do lh or just do sh? would really appreciate a reply?? xx:confused:

snxlou101
12th Jul 2007, 13:55
Hi there,

At Lgw you do a mixture of Long and Short haul flights, what were finding at the moment is a lot of New people are going sick for shorthaul so prepared you are signing up for both!!!!!

The take home pay is between £1100 and £1600 depending on the trips.

Shorthaul trip's can be really nice as well we do

Ams
Mrs (layover in the winter) Means you get day off down route
Gva
Blq (layover in the summer)
Abz (layover in the summer)
Tls
Man
Edi
Gla.

On the longhaul the trips range from 3 to 7 days and are as follows

Anu
Bgi
Kin
Bda
Atl
Iah
Dfw
Tpa
Mco

Don't think I have missed any out!!!

Lgw is a really young base and people are always up for a good time, the state side trips can be a little tiresome but are good money.

Hope this helps.

snxlou101
12th Jul 2007, 13:59
Forgot to mention,

There is also a bidding system on your preference and crew who have been here for less than one year are finding that they are getting really good rosters, so your senority is going up quite quickly at the moment.

From my point of view it is nice to have a mixture as the long haul is very knackering and sometimes on short haul you may only do a jer or a man there and back just all depends.

ratty8587
12th Jul 2007, 15:56
thanks, very helpful, i previously worked as crew for FCA shorthaul at BRS as i live 20mins away. i have done my BA application and its ready to send off, just not sure if i should ina way because i would commute from the southwest, bout 3 hours away and not sure if this would be worth traveling for shorthaul? shorthaul flights sound lovely though compared to what i was doing at FCA. do you work for BA at LGW?

ratty8587
12th Jul 2007, 16:02
would it be worth doing, if i stay overnight prior to my flight?

Smell the Coffee
12th Jul 2007, 17:04
Guys, if you're planning on commuting whilst on shorthaul you do need to bear in mind that although possible, it can be pretty tough - yes we do have a bidding system where you can request trips & days off BUT it may not always work ; you need to bear in mind that it is entirely possible (and likely, to be honest) that you will be rostered a whole week of 'there&backs' (no nightstops). Occasionally, despite requesting it, you may not get any trips at all.

There are a lot of nice trips knocking about (we nightstop pretty much everywhere on Eurofleet LHR/LGW, with exceptions) but there are many more crew than trips available as I'm sure you'll appreciate...another thing to bear in mind is that due to union rules mandating a minimum amount of 'rest' between flights, you may find that if you're delayed on a LHR-CDG-LHR flight, the onward 'link' flight to your nightstop (LHR-LIS, for instance) may get re-allocated to another crew. This means you're off the trip, and sometimes off the entire 3-day trip; please bear these things in mind.

I'm not discouraging commuting since many on shorthaul do so, you just need to be made aware of these potential problems.

snxlou101
12th Jul 2007, 19:20
Hi ratty8587,
Yes I am Lgw, there is a lot of people who advertise rooms from £15.00 a night so this might be worth baring in mind.
I know people who are full time who commute from Man, Gla and even Italy, no it's not ideal but you can make it work.
We have a lot of fix links at Lgw therefore because of this I have lost two night stops in 3 and half years. (fix links are when you stay with the same aircraft and pilots).
If you are looking to commute there is means and ways, one thing to do is get on the good side of scheduling Ie when you have standby's call them and ask for trips I always do this and have had a lot of trips out of doing so.
Also the roster swop's some people may want there and backs to be at home with kiddies or other reason's.
Yes you may get a week of shorthaul but my advice is really take notice of what they tell you in training about the bidding and also ask fellow crew member's to explain as much as they can as your bidding determines your lifestyle get it right and your laughing.
As for less trips than Crew, At the moment a lot of purser's are been called for long haul trips as Purser as they are short of main crew yes this will not always be the case but to be honest we have so many more trips now that there is a fair share for everybody and like I said your seniority goes up very quickly. For example there was a training course that started in June and already there is three more courses planned between July and September so already within a few months there seniority will go up.
Anymore questions please let me know..

flybywire
13th Jul 2007, 07:43
snxlou101 isn't FCO (rome) a nightstop this summer? I haven't been flying for ages so I do not know what Carmen says but I thought we had started FCO nightstops too...:confused:

sweety
13th Jul 2007, 08:07
I have FCO nightsop in July, after a GVA there/back. :)

snxlou101
13th Jul 2007, 09:43
Yes sorry I forgot about that one, Fco is on a trial basics so hopefully we will get to keep it, it was nice to get this one after losing a few shorthaul nightstops so fingers crossed.

SuperBoy
13th Jul 2007, 14:07
I just had a great 3 day FCO.

Day 1 : LGW - FCO
Day 2 : FCO - LGW - FCO
Day 3 : FCO - LGW

Don't know how I got it but definitely will not complain.

Also I was under the impression that we only have FCO for the summer ie. June, July, August. I guess we will have to wait and see.

tinks.
14th Jul 2007, 10:20
Hi

Im new to all this. Just got my start date for lgw and wondering if anyone can tell me where my training will take place, as i am trying to book my accomodation and want to be located as close as i can.

Thanks tinks.

MancRed
14th Jul 2007, 11:16
Hi, Does anyone know
how many people can be on one training course at a time?
how many courses can they run at a same time?

Jarvis

jetgirl_99
14th Jul 2007, 14:22
Hey Jarvis,

I'm training at LHR at the moment and there are 21 of us on our course. Seems to be the same amount on other courses. There are 3 courses (I think) running and we all started on a Monday, a week apart.

Hope this helps.

emboogie
14th Jul 2007, 15:20
hello jetgirl just wondering when was your start date as im doing my training as well lhr and ive got 21 in my group????:) maybe on the same course??????

jetgirl_99
14th Jul 2007, 16:10
Started on the 18th. I'm always hanging around the smoking bus shelter!

MancRed
14th Jul 2007, 17:11
Cheers Jetgirl and good luck!
Jarvis

G-MEDA
15th Jul 2007, 17:20
Why is BA still advertising for cabin crew? closing date was today... what about all the ones who are still waiting since may/june and the ones who had their interviews cancelled? don't get it! :*

lovethesky
15th Jul 2007, 17:26
closing date today, so tomorow it will be gone, or if not enuf applicants then date extended.

ba cancelled courses for lhr, offerd them lgw, obviousley didnt get enuf uptake for lgw so they do another recruitment campaign.

next month they will prob tell everyone who got job for lgw that they dont need them and offer them lhr.

thats the ba way

sweety
15th Jul 2007, 17:51
They need them in LGW! Or should I say - we need you in LGW! :) Little birdie told me that the date will be extended.

Pandora's Box
15th Jul 2007, 19:30
Err...Prehaps im going blind, but were did you see BA advertising for Cab Crew???:confused:

I have been looking on there web site for past few weeks...says they are not recruiting, nothing on aviationjobsearch neither.

I had been keeping my eyes open for there recruitment because i had been told that BA are gonna be recruiting for long haul.

back2front
15th Jul 2007, 20:01
Pandora's Box.....err...get your eyesight checked. BA have been advertising for crew for ages, currently LGW being advertised.

lovethesky
15th Jul 2007, 20:08
pandors - ba are not gonna recruit into long haul lhr, these places have been filled internaly.
ba are recruiting for lgw on their recruitment website, previousley they have done euro lhr.
if you wanna apply u better pull ur finger out

Pandora's Box
15th Jul 2007, 21:34
Should av gone to Specsavers :}

G-MEDA
16th Jul 2007, 04:26
sorry, the ad for cc was in the last edition of ba news magazine.... doesn't say if it's for lhr or lgw, but the ref is still lhr... :hmm:

lovethesky
16th Jul 2007, 08:58
An article is due to appear in jobscan in this weeks BA News for Cabin Crew. The advertisement states that the vacancies will be LHR based. Recruitment have contacted BASSA to advise us that this is a printing error and the vacancies are for Single fleet at LGW.

Human Factor
16th Jul 2007, 09:15
As cabin crew are leaving LGW as fast as they are being recruited, I would suggest recruitment will continue at a fair pace for a while.

Having said that, you have to ask yourselves why people are leaving after such a short time - some of them to EasyJet!!

Bear132
16th Jul 2007, 15:45
Where are they advertising? I went into BA website but it said no current vacancies for Cabin Crew?

Anyone help?xx

Londonphilou
16th Jul 2007, 18:41
The deadline for the Gatwick recruitment was the 15th, that is yesterday.
But keep checking the site from time to time as Ba does not put any advert on tv or radio that there's vacancy going!
Its ba.com/careers.

MancRed
17th Jul 2007, 10:16
Any re-deployed staff got course dates yet?

jarvis

jetgirl_99
17th Jul 2007, 18:57
Training rooms can be abit hit and miss - as we're finding out this week. Some are boiling, some are freezing and the air con never seems to make much difference!

The canteen, again, a bit hit and miss but very well priced and they do a fab breakfast!

GODDESS OF DAWN
18th Jul 2007, 11:54
Any re-deployed staff got course dates yet?
jarvis
I thought that you would have a course by now as there will be many courses for LHR WW as from Sep u/i Jan. :confused:
Unfortunately I don't have a course date either for LHR EF and my 4 colleagues also redeployed don't either. I'm really trying to figure out why but nothing makes any sense. :ugh:
Jarvis do you have the Tel. number of BA Recruitment? I would like to call them up although i'm not expecting an answer but I need to try. Please PM me with the number. I really appreciate your help. :)
Patience with the waiting and hope you get your course date soon.
DAWN :)

batriple7
18th Jul 2007, 16:23
Hello All.

I am not sure how the recruitment process is being done but had my interview beginning of April and still waiting for a start date.

Is there anyone else still waiting from April . If they are doing it month by month then at least it gives me some sort of guideline to go by.

Many thanks

HZ123
19th Jul 2007, 10:32
For what it is worth there are only a few courses for August and September as BA require as many crews on line as is possible. The delays in course dates are also complex in that BA is waiting to confirm just what routes will be moved up from LGW in October and what the level of competition is expected in April 2008. It is expected that Delta, Continental to name but two carriers will commence East / West coast America routes. Ba will have to rationalise our US routes as it is likely that there will be lots of seats at very low prices and we may well pull out of a number of our services to the US (reduce daily frequencies).

None of this should impact on any of you that have been offered employment but may well mean you may not start until next year. As some of you will deduce there are also a num ber of internal staff waiting dates (100) this in itself will take up to 7 courses (they are already on the payrole and some of them are sitting at home)and we are running at about 2 a month presently (max number 16)

flyer55
19th Jul 2007, 11:21
Yeah BA recruiting for extra crew at LGW . No longhaul routes are moving to LHR in October , the only two routes that are moving are Dallas and Houston which has been announced moving in march 2008

missdoo
19th Jul 2007, 11:59
I also had my interview in April, it was the 2nd day they were interviewing for EF LHR and still haven't got a course date!! I called them and they said that for some reason I was accidentaly skipped over when they were calling people!!!! They're very sorry for the incovenience (understatement??) but there are no courses left and nothing they can do about it!!!!! How good is that???? So people interviewed much later than me are in training and I'm drowning in the holding pool!!!!! :ugh:

I've now lost any optimism that there ever will be any more courses for LHR within the 12 months that our job offer is valid, so I guess it was all for nothing...

Any optimistic opinions are VERY welcome!!!

747-436
19th Jul 2007, 14:49
I am not sure how the recruitment process is being done but had my interview beginning of April and still waiting for a start date.

I know people who had there interview mid May and have either started a training course for Eurofleet or are about to start.

lovethesky
19th Jul 2007, 15:09
that is absolutley discusting, if they realy wanted they could just slot you onto a course!!! but thats ba for you.

ams - they will also loose 3 777 when the 2 routes go to lhr, as the houston is twice a day. i think all the sfg guys are hoping for a miricle and that they will be flying these routes from lhr or xfer to lhr ww. i cant see that happenig ba is determined not to let the 40 crew go to euro lhr!!!

speedmarque
19th Jul 2007, 15:23
I am afraid that is just a dream too far! The LGW crew are FAR junior to the LHR EF crew who are waiting to go to WW themselves.

The union would NEVER allow "queue jumping" to that extent.

IF any crew are needed on WW following the transfer of routes then EF crew will be transfered to WW and then LGW crew to LHR EF.

flyer55
19th Jul 2007, 17:56
I think you will find that when the New NSP list opens sep/oct this year all LGW crew will be entitled to put their names on the transfer lists for the fleet they wish to go onto or part time, that is part of the ACC NSP !

Regarding the current transfers due to happen soon from LGW it is still being discussed !

Alot of crew have been waiting paintely to transfer and havent been asked and have been with LGW for more than 5 yrs onwards , so on that note LGW does have alot of senior crew !

Off Stand
19th Jul 2007, 20:44
But flyer55,
There maybe those that have been at LGW for many years, but when they joined the NSP, their seniority started from stratch. Or have I got that wrong? If I haven't, then those who have been at eurofleet for only 2 years will be more senior.

luksy
19th Jul 2007, 20:58
Off Stand,
you are correct. Now we all have NSP seniority numbers, which for LGW start somewhere around 12900 and upwards to 14000.
Brgds
L.

emboogie
19th Jul 2007, 21:37
correct me if im wrong peeps but the senority number i think is your individual staff number (well thats how my old airline did it)???
X:}

lovethesky
19th Jul 2007, 22:00
at ba ur seniority number is diff to ur staff number.
ur sen num is allocated to you when u start and it is ur nmber within the company, the person that has been there the longest being number one, and the newest person being xxxxxx any new entrants at ba will have a seniority number of aroun 14000

ur seniority number is used when deciding who gets what leave, who works where on the aircraft, who gets what trips ect (at lgw), and most importantly at ba who gets part time and fleet transfers first.

this way the person wo has worked for ba the longest can get what they want before a new person

MancRed
19th Jul 2007, 22:47
What if you transfer to CC from another dept, when does your seniority start from?

Muizenberg
19th Jul 2007, 23:38
Jarvis,

If you transfer to Cabin Crew from another department, your "Cabin Crew" seniority will start fom the day of your training course (i.e. 1 AUG 2007), you will be allocated a ranking within your group based on your exam performances and also the BA service style standards (so no.1 would be most senior in your group, etc).

You will of course retain your DOJ for staff travel and pension benefits, but all Cabin Crew issues, (i.e. fleet transfers, eliligibility for promotion, work positions onboard, etc will be based on your Cabin Crew course date).

Hope this helps.

MancRed
20th Jul 2007, 07:59
That makes good sense thanks for that,

Jarvis

BA Boi
20th Jul 2007, 23:07
yes.

seniority numbers are only used for the cabin crew and flight crew communities in BA - the flight crew having their own, specific seniority system.

when you start, AMS-LHR, your seniority number will be around the 14,500 mark.

say on your course there is emma, bob and james.

emma is a major swat and her overall mark for her course (SEP; customer service; AVMED etc) is 98%; bob did very well, but not as good as emma and got 90%. james on the other hand did the 'worst' out of the entire training course of 20 people and scraped by with 80%.

their seniority numbers will be issued as follows:

emma (1st) - 14500
bob (2nd) - 14501
so and so (3rd) - 14502
so and so (4th) - 14503
so and so (5th) - 14504

etc, until:

james (20th) - 14519.

sweety
21st Jul 2007, 09:07
Where do we find our seniority number? I looked everywhere on the Intranet.

Off Stand
21st Jul 2007, 10:14
Sweety,

When you get your ABCS sheet at the briefing, your seniority number is under your name. Also, (this is the case with worldwide, should be the same on other fleets) if you look in crewlink and check your leave, your seniority number is listed with your booked leave too.

sweety
21st Jul 2007, 17:12
Cheers, Off Stand! My seniority on leave thingy says 0! How strange... Maybe it's not decided yet? :bored:

malvin
21st Jul 2007, 17:43
I would have thought it would be provided for you.....

lovethesky
21st Jul 2007, 18:00
u do get food provided for you, but you wouldnt want to feed it to your dog, so on a moscow there and back you will see a few crew who bring their own fod.

with seniority they say that it goes on how good you are in your group, well that wasnt the case in our group, i think they just radomly give you a number. the swots from my course were the near the bottom!!

malvin
21st Jul 2007, 18:40
I dunno if it applies to other airlines, I know that one certain airline, they are given a selection of what food is on offer and they can pick...or bring there own....so they crew can pick something out of econ, business, first....

Muizenberg
21st Jul 2007, 18:45
Hi AMS,

Think BA BOI and Lovethesky, pretty much answered how seniority is decided.

Have to also say, that "being a swat" is not the only criteria for getting a high ranking amongst your group. If you are a geniunely kind, considerate person, able to get along with most others in your group, contribute to group discusions, etc these are always taken into consideration.

Those that attain a high ranking, are usually quite academic, but also continue what they professed at their interview, and not in a phoney manner either. Show other trainees genuine interest, respect other's opinions, coach colleagues who maybe having difficultly, once in uniform follow uniform standards (DO NOT CHEW GUM IN UNIFORM!), be on time for everything, etc...other instructors from other groups can also give your instructors feedback if they've observed a particularly positive or negative action.

Hope this helps!

lovethesky
21st Jul 2007, 18:54
well one of the guys of my course got 2 points ( all we be explained at the start of your course) and he was one of the highest in seniority, we even had people who had been flying for ba for 12 years at national bases who scored low in seniority, so i think that they radomly allocate your number, but the rumour is that it goeson how well you behave - so u will be
good!!!!

back to food, we get crew food on long sectors, it is diff to pax food, u also get a sandwich and a fruit tray.

Muizenberg
21st Jul 2007, 19:11
Whilst on training...late is late, no exceptions. This is also the case once online, in the event of a major event (i.e. M25 closure, amenisty is sometimes granted). Once your uniform is issued, your have to wear in line with uniform regulations which will be covered on the course and also in details available from the intranet (booklets are subject to availablity).

If you are wearing your own clothes the dress code is business attire, for the guys I'd wear a tie at least on day one. Play it by ear after that.

HZ123
22nd Jul 2007, 14:56
Supprt that lookimg smart is worth a good start. Some of the guys and girls at CBK turn up as if they have been out on the pull and only recently left the club to come straight here. I can assure you that those turning out smartly during the civies days are noted. Good luck.

tinks.
22nd Jul 2007, 17:37
Hello everybody! im new to this forum but have few questions for people who have started training or are about to....

Im one of those who got the job for lgw then put in lhr holdpool then 2 weeks ago offered lgw for september which i accepted as would love to work for ba but whn they rang me i was so shocked i forgot to ask a few things:ugh: when you do your training i know some of its at gatwick and some at lhr but in which order and how many weeks at each one? as i need to book my accomodation. also somebody told me that when you do your sep they put you into a hotel is this true?? will they send me anything the post with this info or ring me atall?

im so confused :confused: and would really appreciate some help

thanks guys! xxx

DC-10
22nd Jul 2007, 17:50
Hi - just completed my LGW training - we were provided with hotel accomodation whilst training at LHR and BA bussed us to LHR and back to LGW each week. We also got training allowances which helped bump up the wages :) We were at LHR Wednesday, Thursday and Friday one week (2 nights in hotel) then back the next Monday through to Friday (4 nights). You get a daily allowance for both training days at LGW and also at LHR.

Good luck for your course - back from my 777 supernumerary this morning and loved every bit of it - looking forward to the mix of long and short haul flying and the crews I have met so far are brilliant!

DC-10
22nd Jul 2007, 20:06

Pax Agent
22nd Jul 2007, 21:30
Welcome DC-10! Shall see you at my room party soon no doubt...welcome to SFLGW!
X

malvin
22nd Jul 2007, 21:36
Does anyone know the address for LHR uniform fitting that they can PM me....

Many Thanks.

kikko
23rd Jul 2007, 09:47
Hi,

reading various posts about net pay alt LHR EF I found big discrepancies between figures given by different people.
The basic pay (for junior cabin crew) is 10499 which net should be approx. £750.00 per month.
What about allowances??? ....I have seen posts where it seems you take home £1700 -1800 net including basic salary and other which state you can get an averagae of minimum 1300 to 1700 per moth just in allowances....Obviously allowances varies depending on trips etc. however the all thing is a bit confusing.
So my questions is:
When working a full month (with NO sick or holiday leave) what's the net allowances pay...minimum - average - and maximum?

thanks to all

lovethesky
23rd Jul 2007, 09:54
hi
the amount you get in allowances will depend on what type of roster u get.
an average of allowances at euro lhr would be about 1200, u could earn upto 1600 but that is rare, iof you had a whole month of early moring there and backs you would only get about 400 which is very very bad!!! and with leave or sickness about 800.

kikko
23rd Jul 2007, 10:04
thanks lovethesky.

I'd like to think it is very unlikely you get the all month of there and back..how often does it happen?
It seems that the most profitable routes are swiss, german, swedish flights/trips.
If you are speaker, lets say in french and german are you more likely to get theese destinations when bidding or not?

lovethesky
23rd Jul 2007, 12:07
hi the most lucative trips are the swiss and german ones, but if u were to do a 3 day 8 sector uk trip with cat turnarounds then you wil be £££££
the bidding is done on computer so the fact that you speak the language of the country doesnt mean u will go there.

allowances are 46 % taxable, so 54% tax free and then 46% at normal tax rate. i think at gatwick the horly rate is tax free??im not sure!! but if it is it wont be long b4 the tax man wants his share!!

airbus777
23rd Jul 2007, 16:44
CAT=Central Area Turnaround.....if you arrive into heathrow and are operating another service out of heathrow if there is less than 2 and a half hours before your next flight you go to the CAT lounge which is airside instead of back to the compass centre...BA do pay you nearly 30 pounds for each visit to the cat lounge...i have a 3 day 8 sector trip next week with 3 cat payments in it....fab 90 pounds before i even start with allowances..........
It is all quite complicated all will be explained on your coarse...good luck ams-lhr!!

airbus777
23rd Jul 2007, 16:46
ams-lhr... you do not get charged anything for using the crew card...the very thought of it !!

fgs00
23rd Jul 2007, 18:22
my goodness AMS-LHR, do you not think it would be a good idea to wait and find out some information when you start your inital course. Like kids at christmas who sneak a look at their pressies....you'll have nothing to look forward to on the day!:{

MancRed
24th Jul 2007, 11:42
AMS.......There not flat front they have one pleat...to be fair I find them a small fit and take a larger size than normal...so if you think you may have added a inch on your waist bear this in mind....
jarvis

MancRed
24th Jul 2007, 12:01
Male....not wore a waist coat yet...so can't help on that one..
jarvis

DC-10
24th Jul 2007, 12:50
I found that on most of my uniform items I had to go up a size so I would say they are a small fit - love my waistcoat as it seems to hold in my ever expanding waist! Don't worry too much about the sizes though - you try everything on and they make sure it looks good.

Good luck for your first day - try not to be nervous as the trainers do all they can to make you feel at ease.

Bear132
25th Jul 2007, 17:45
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone give me any info on LGW. Average salary, how likely you are to get your bids etc.

Any info on any aspects of LGW would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

xxx

MancRed
25th Jul 2007, 18:00
Have just found out today course dates for the last UK based staff being redeployed to CC this may give you some indication as to when yours may take place.....
24 people 24th Sept
24 people 29th Oct
24 people 5th Nov
24 people 14th Nov
That then takes us till end of Dec so maybe they will start to organise external courses staight after this???
hope this helps
Jarvis

Goddess of Dawn any news yet???

simon773
25th Jul 2007, 18:39
hi, to answer your question with regard to our salary...yes it greatly depends on your monthly allowances, in LGW i am taking home an average of 900 pounds in allowances every month this summer - we are very busy at the moment -on top of my basic salary, without rest day working, sick days or leave... so it΄s about 1700 pounds in my payslip. Back in may i used to take home 6-700 quid in allowances alone. It does not always matter if it is long haul or short haul..a three day Houston for example can trigger less allowances than a three day trip in Europe. Our bidding system is quite articulate as it is for Eurofleet, it will be explained during training but above all, you learn how it works while you use it, your average satisfaction is 60% and it depends on your seniority, on day one of your flying career it΄s unlikely to get a 5 day trip to Barbados....but it can happen on your second month ..like it happened to me...so it΄s also luck! Hope it helps!

GODDESS OF DAWN
25th Jul 2007, 18:50
:sad: NOPE nothing yet.
:confused: Jarvis just a few questions:

If I understand correctly the dates you mention have already been allocated to BA redeployed staff?
Are all these dates for LHR WW or any for LHR EU?
And last but not least.... Are you one of the FORTUNATE?

if you still dont have a date hang in there... :)
Thanks
DAWN

luksy
25th Jul 2007, 22:53
Hi

I have to say that getting 900 in allowances is a bit too much....more 600 to 700 for a new entrant. I've been with LGW since Nov last year and 719 pounds this month is my max so far. I don't know how you bid Simon, but I higly doubt I would get 900 with only 3-4 day trips as a new entrant. How long have you been at LGW?:hmm:

:ugh:

L.

MancRed
26th Jul 2007, 07:49
:confused: Jarvis just a few questions:

If I understand correctly the dates you mention have already been allocated to BA redeployed staff?
Are all these dates for LHR WW or any for LHR EU?
And last but not least.... Are you one of the FORTUNATE?Answers

Yes
LHR WW
Dates given but no names to dates as yet, but as I understand we will be on one of the courses and they will put names to courses by the 27th July and inform us WC 30th july.Dawn....sorry to hear you not heard anything yet..hang in there
jarvis

kikko
26th Jul 2007, 10:02
24 people 24th Sept
24 people 29th Oct
24 people 5th Nov
24 people 14th Nov
That then takes us till end of Dec so maybe they will start to organise external courses staight after this???
hope this helps
Jarv
Hi Jarvis,

what do you acutally mean for external courses? Courses for external applicants (not re-deployed)?
Any idea for possible courses for LHR EF anybody??...

MancRed
26th Jul 2007, 10:36
Courses for external applicants (not re-deployed)?

Sorry I did mean external applicants

jarvis

simon773
26th Jul 2007, 12:54
hi luksy, i have been in lgw for a year now, i actually got 910 quid in allowances last month, and will get about the same next month, of course it looks a lot but it is what i got. Im not saying this always happens though.

kikko
26th Jul 2007, 15:22
at LHR 46% taxable and 54% tax free. don't know at lgw

kikko
26th Jul 2007, 15:35
I sent an E mail to BA asking about LHR EF course dates and this is the reply I got:

Thank you for your email.
Unfortunatley I have been informed that there are no Eurofleet positions coming up until the end of the financial year. Of courses if this changes, or once we hear of any future courses we will of courses be in touch.

I am just wondering if by "the end of the finalcial year " is intended to be April 08 or Dec 07. In any case if this is the case us in the hold pool are pretty much st.......fed:{.
What do you think?...Is this just a typical reply :rolleyes:(and then maybe in 2 months times they will call us...) or it's just true?:ugh:

lovethesky
26th Jul 2007, 15:49
end of the financial year would be march / april time.
things change all the time in ba, wasnt it only a couple of months ago that they said to people at lgw there were no more training courses, offered them lhr or nothing, then 10mins later they are recruiting for gatiwck again.

Pax Agent
26th Jul 2007, 15:57
Well for the first time last month I hit £1,000 in allowances at LGW. I have been here just coming up to a year so it is possible! THo this month will be nearer the £750-800 mark.
Tax wise...the overtime rates are taxed per normal basic rate.
Hourly flight pay is a bit more complicated....out of the £2.32 18% of this is taxed at the normal rate. For example 18% of £2.32 is 0.471pence. So it is this tiny tiny tiny amount which is applied.
The overnight allowance is completely tax free. We are much better with this than the LHR deal.

UFGBOY
26th Jul 2007, 16:14
Just applied on line for LGW... with the DFW/IAH going 'up the road' will L/H trips be as plentiful ?(assuming of course i am succesful!! ):\k

Pax Agent
26th Jul 2007, 18:18
We have a computer system called crewlink that will produce a statement like a bank statement with your achieved and projected allowances. Tho you can figure out your allowances quite easiy as all the figures are provided.

With reagrd to LGW LH routes (IAH/DFW) Simon - Talling Smith said openly on a Q+A session that the company don't actually know themselves what they will do with regard these routes and replacing them...be it SH or LH!!!!
When we suggested that they are leaving it quite late it was intimated that we put forward our own suggestions as to what we think is best! :eek: :ugh:

luksy
26th Jul 2007, 20:32
Hi
I very much doubt that It is going to be any LH, as LHR need as many LH A/C as they can possibly can get their hands on. Especially now with all the free slots from BMED they need to fill. Remember by slot allocation legislation at LHR, airlines need to use at least 80% of their slots, or they lose them.
(I'm very much into airline regulations right now...hehehe:}, don't ask why)
Pax Agent and Simon....then I think you def. need to show me how to bid properly.... some more money would definitely help....:{ :p
Cheers guys
L.

luksy
26th Jul 2007, 20:35
And another thing I need to ask our Planning department and Manpower....what is going on? Everything is a mess right now....

Londonphilou
27th Jul 2007, 09:13
Hi guys,
Those re-deployed staff who have been offered LHR WW, is it a permanent contract or a 6 month contract as previously suggested.

And as far the LHR SH applicants who got through lately, the latest I heard from a BMED guy who also got the job, that it might be in Jan or Feb there will be more LHR courses. But then again it can happen anytime I suppose.

kikko
27th Jul 2007, 09:38
Londonphilou, what the BMED guy said seems to be consistent with the reply I got from BA and we'll probably have to wait till next year.

It would be interesting to know what type of contrancti all re-deployed staff have been offered.

Off Stand
27th Jul 2007, 09:39
The re-deployed ground staff going to WW will be on a temp 11 month contract.

Londonphilou
27th Jul 2007, 09:58
My prediction is we will be offered the LHR courses soon after the LHR WW has been done. They are already short of staff plus transfer from SH to WW taking place, so training for replacements will have to done sooner or later, esp before the T5 opens in March. Just drove past the T5 this morning and I cant wait to be there. Looks amazing. One of the reasons I did not take the Gatwick offer. I know its a long wait but I have already waited for 2 years for re-applying, another few months is worth the wait I suppose.

GODDESS OF DAWN
27th Jul 2007, 17:25
It would be interesting to know what type of contrancti all re-deployed staff have been offered.
All re-deployed BA ground staff were offered either LHR WW temporary (11month) or LHR EF permanent.
I chose LHR EF permanent and I am also still waiting for a course date.
Hang in there. I'm sure it will be our turn when they're finished with LGW SF and LHR WW. :hmm:
Hopefully soon....
DAWN :)

lovethesky
27th Jul 2007, 17:58
im maincrew at lhr euro and just recieved en email offering me unpaid leave for between 3 - 12 months, starting in october!!!! i have no idea whats going on!!

GODDESS OF DAWN
27th Jul 2007, 19:13
im maincrew at lhr euro and just recieved en email offering me unpaid leave for between 3 - 12 months, starting in october!!!! i have no idea whats going on!!
:eek: PAANNIIICCCC !!!
Does not look good for LHR EF hold pool does it? :confused:
If you hear anything else please let us know. :ugh:
Thanks DAWN :{

kikko
27th Jul 2007, 19:53
Hi goddess and everybody here

:eek::eek::eek::(:(:{:{.It looks ....not good at all!!!
and what about all the people they are and will traini during the summer for LHR RF? I doesn't add up...!! I don't really understand what's going on!
Hope lovethesky received the email by mistake...and that it was ment for somebody who asked for the leave instead .....I' am afraid this only wishful thinking.
Have other mainline LHR EF crew received similar email??
As I am not going to LGW I feel I should probably move on rather than hoping probably invane for months to get in....

Londonphilou
27th Jul 2007, 20:05
I would not read to much into that re new LHR recruits or those waiting for a course. I think there are always people who want unpaid leave and I suppose they are just trying to make some space to accomodate new ones and also they do get a lot of people who leave throughout the year. I cant see it affecting the LHR courses.

lovethesky
27th Jul 2007, 20:39
my freinds also got the same email, its unusual to offer unpaid leave on such a wide scale and over such along period of time, they are offering it to pursers on longhaul cause they now have to many, but it seems unlikely that we have too many crew on eurofleet.
its was offered to all csd and maincrew, lets hope that the maincrew bit was a mistake!!! im sure it wont afect the planned training courses, but it would affect the people in the pool!!
ill let u know if i hear ay more!!

lovethesky
27th Jul 2007, 20:42
There will be an opportunity for Heathrow Eurofleet CSDs and Main Crew to apply for unpaid leave from October. Currently this opportunity is only available for those CSDs and Main Crew wishing to take a block of unpaid leave ranging from 3 > 12 months. Requests will be ordered according to the length of time off i.e. those requesting a period of 12 months will be actioned before those requesting 3 months off.

The initial offers made will be for those individuals wanting to take time off from October, however we will keep a list of those individuals wanting to take time off after October. These will be considered during the winter months if the operation allows for further reductions. This opportunity will open at 5pm on Friday 27th July and will close at 5pm on Tuesday 14th August.To register your request to take unpaid leave from October please send your request through to ............You must specify your Name, Staff Number, Length of time requesting and which month you wish to start.Crew will be contacted by the manpower delivery team to confirm any offers.After the close date manpower delivery will be unable to respond to individual emails chasing or querying applications. If you are successful with your application you will be contacted directly.

747-436
27th Jul 2007, 20:54
I very much doubt that It is going to be any LH, as LHR need as many LH A/C as they can possibly can get their hands on. Especially now with all the free slots from BMED they need to fill. Remember by slot allocation legislation at LHR, airlines need to use at least 80% of their slots, or they lose them.

Those slots don't come across into BA's hands until late 2008 - 2009 as BA don't have the aircraft to use them so I don't expect that affects the man power planning in the near term.

Hope they make up their minds soon as know a couple of people swimming in the pool.

BA Boi
27th Jul 2007, 21:53
sounds strange. :suspect:.

when i swiped-in for my trip the other day, i saw a notice up on the noticeboards opposite the swipe-in computers at compass centre that said that overtime was available to CSD's; pursers and main crew on shorthaul until further notice.

there haven't been any messages posted on the BASSA (union) website that say anything like this - and they are always on the ball with the latest info.

i wouldn't read too much into it at all. :).

Off Stand
27th Jul 2007, 23:28
AMS,

I can only answer your first question. Main crew is regular cabin crew, not purser or CSD. In other airlines they are called juniors.

lovethesky
28th Jul 2007, 10:43
yea u can put ur name down for overtime when u are under 6 months, it doesnt go on seniority it goes who put there name down on the list first.

kikko
28th Jul 2007, 14:03
Baboy,

It might be that the overtime is offered just for the summer period and that BA sadly forecasts a consistent drop in staff requirement at the end of summer so that they are now offerring unpaid leave from october...

I would assume that all re-deployed staff will get priority to course dates over the external applicants indipendently from their interview dates. Correct?