PDA

View Full Version : Q about use of military airfield

XL319
22nd Dec 2006, 18:23
As we know MOD policy is to actively promote civil use of their facilities (providing it does not conflict with military ops).

Would they allow civil aircraft doing circuits?

I have RAF Woodvale in mind which is only used by tutors, small piston acft.
The reason is because it is fairly quiet and away from Manchester.

P.S. Does anyone know what the MOD charge in way of landing fee's and touch n go fee's? Or where i can find information. Thanks in advance

soay
22nd Dec 2006, 18:53
Isn't BAe selling Woodvale? It would be nice to do some circuits there before the developers get hold of it.

Small Rodent Driver
22nd Dec 2006, 19:11
Isn't BAe selling Woodvale? It would be nice to do some circuits there before the developers get hold of it.

Think you may be getting confused with Woodford.

Woodvale is owned by the MoD. Ravenair apparently have an agreement to circuit Tuesday - Friday.

No idea of costs but you can bet it's a fair wedge. Landing fee for a C172 circa 58 quid I believe!

tmmorris
22nd Dec 2006, 19:11
Although I can't answer specifically for Woodvale, I fear the answer would be:

Yes, you can do circuits.
A standard landing fee would apply for each circuit.
You would quickly become poor!

but good luck trying...

Tim

skua
22nd Dec 2006, 20:01
v friendly ATC staff at Woodvale, but they have to charge std MOD rates. V pretty field, plenty of birdtrikes, and lots of UAS Tutors around. Go there-preferably on a sunny day

Skua

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Dec 2006, 08:46
Just an important point to mention - RAF circuits are not the same shape as a standard civil circuit. It would be a very good idea if planning to practice circuits at any RAF airfield to know exactly what their local practices, circuit RT, etc. are.

G

bingoboy
23rd Dec 2006, 09:26
I understand that Ravenair studes circuiting at Woodvale adopt RAF circuits etc.
Woodvale also now has VGS motorgliders to add to the mix.

Small Rodent Driver
23rd Dec 2006, 09:32
I understand that Ravenair studes circuiting at Woodvale adopt RAF circuits etc.
Woodvale also now has VGS motorgliders to add to the mix.

RAF are also very keen to maintain v.tight circuits so as if the donk stops in the cct you can at least arrive back on the field in whatever state.

Raven30
23rd Dec 2006, 10:27
The best advice to you would be to ring the unit concerned. Whilst you will get lots of general advice on here, you need to speak to the horses mouth.
They will answer all your questions including the charges that will apply, and give you details of circuits, best time to go etc etc. The charges are laid down in MOD publication JSP360 if you can find someone with a copy(not sure if there is a direct link on the web) and although it's been a while since I needed to use the manual, I am pretty sure that there are still concessionary rates for training flights ie 75% reduction on normal landing fees. Rollers are charged at a different rate to overshoots(or at least they used to be) - worth bearing in mind if cost is an issue. You may need to pay a casual user insurance fee as well, unless you have an MOD waiver certificate - again, for current rates, speak directly to the unit.

HTH

Raven

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Dec 2006, 12:54
RAF are also very keen to maintain v.tight circuits so as if the donk stops in the cct you can at least arrive back on the field in whatever state.

There's a lot more to it than that. If planning to fly circuits at a military training airfield, you really want to get a briefing from one of the resident military instructors.

G

Small Rodent Driver
23rd Dec 2006, 13:19
There's a lot more to it than that. If planning to fly circuits at a military training airfield, you really want to get a briefing from one of the resident military instructors.
G

Doubt you would be allowed to circuit without a thorough briefing from the a/f ATC unit anyhow.

Mike Cross
23rd Dec 2006, 22:57
This document (http://www.ams.mod.uk/ams/content/docs/widrmkts/wmguide.htm) mentions it but it looks like they need to kill any potential customers prior to letting them read it.

tb10er
24th Dec 2006, 11:35
Have you thought about going there. If you give the flying school a call during weekends, they are very welcoming and very cheap.

Long runway, great views.

jayteeto
24th Dec 2006, 14:47
Tosh! The gliders fly different ccts to the Tutors/at a different speed and we cope fine. You passed your PPL by displaying AIRMANSHIP, use it and just be sensible in the circuit. You will be just fine, poor, but just fine. You would have to PPR of course, but don't be scared off by worrying if your circuit pattern is ok. Call in and say hello to us sad/no mates helicopter crew in the police unit.

XL319
24th Dec 2006, 15:34
RAF Mona is a possibility.....are there many hawks using the airfield

tmmorris
24th Dec 2006, 17:20
Nice to hear it's more relaxed there jayteeto - at my home base all club ac are required to fly downwind at 80kts regardless of type to fit with the tutors (C152 beetling along almost at cruise speed, PA28-181 having to take flaps to cope with the speed...)

Tim

Hen Ddraig
27th Dec 2006, 00:35
RAF Mona is a possibility.....are there many hawks using the airfield

Yes lots of very fast black ones, mostly with learner drivers, but only Monday to Friday during working hours.
Flying club operates weekends and evenings when light.

Time to spare, go by air

Hen Ddraig

Footless Halls
27th Dec 2006, 12:50
Just a thought - is Woodford open to GA - anyone been there?

jayteeto
29th Dec 2006, 11:27
Yes, It was a few years ago that I diverted there due to weather. Two days parking plus the other fees made me overdrawn that month. Check the fees before going.....