PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info to become helicopter pilot

Nix2709
4th Sep 2006, 05:07
Hi all,

Nice to be here, and have access to such a forum. I was told by my wife's cousin, who is a 1st officer with Comair (Delta) to check out this website to get some extra perspective in the starting steps at getting my helicopter's pilot's license.

1st step: get some info from flight schools. I live in Montreal, and wanted to know if anyone knows of any trustworthy flight schools out here.

2nd step: Find out how much time and money is required to get started. How many hours of training, type of training to expect, classifications of licenses, etc.

If anyone can share some information, or insight, it would me greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to getting my wings,
Nix2079

Papa Charlie
4th Sep 2006, 06:58
Nix,
Try the helicopter forum..... http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23
:)

muffin
4th Sep 2006, 06:59
Nix

You are really in the wrong forum to ask this. Have a look at the training FAQ in the Rotorheads forum.

Good luck

Whirlygig
4th Sep 2006, 07:02
Nix,

as Papa Charlie says, try Rotorheads. The Private Flying forum here is quite UK-based and may not be able to answer your questions. However, a quick Google (Helicopter+school+montreal) and I turned up this link which may help.

http://www.chinookhelicopters.com/

However, whilst we are a helpful bunch, we won't spoon-feed you so you'll have to do your own research as well. Things like costs and hours required can be obtained from the flight schools concerned and the Canadian equivalent of the Civil Aviation Authority!

Cheers

Whirls

BRL
4th Sep 2006, 09:55
Thanks guys :)

slim_slag
4th Sep 2006, 10:06
You didn't say whether you want a commercial certificate or not, so ignore the rest as you see fit. I looked into getting a rotary commercial ticket for the hell of it, and discovered that if you have the flxed wing commercial ticket you can credit a lot of hours towards those needed to get the rotary CP. That saves money as fixed wing is a lot cheaper than rotary. This is under the FAA system, which might be similar to Canadian system Nix2709 lives under. So Nix2709, I'd take advice from the other board, but also look into getting a fixed wing commercial ticket first and 'converting', as it might be the best way for you to do it. From what I've heard, in north america the Vietnam guys are starting to retire, so there could be a big demand for helicopter pilots soon. Certainly the places I know about that need helicopter pilots (medevac outfits) are lowering requirements. Helicopters are a lot harder, they appear inherantly unstable to me, whereas fixed wing is inherantly stable. Or I could just be getting old.

Whirlygig
4th Sep 2006, 10:23
they appear inherantly unstable to me, ....Or I could just be getting old.
No it's not just you slim, they're inherently unstable to everyone :} ;)

Cheers

Whirls

ormus55
4th Sep 2006, 11:05

Cheers

Whirls

absolutely. im in love with flying of any kind, but i aint getting in one of those THINGS unless im a medevac.

Floppy Link
4th Sep 2006, 18:14
sure thing. We'll take anybody to hospital, even a fixed wing pilot!

ormus55
4th Sep 2006, 19:46
if im conscious, then give me a shot of summat, to knock me out first.
thx.
:eek:

slim_slag
5th Sep 2006, 09:05

Cheers

WhirlsCrazy machines. My mates who fly them for medevacs certainly have their hands full. Landing at night with no lights, looking for wires, talking to somebody on the ground who has cleared a landing zone, talking to their base to find out where to take the patient, talking to a controller, and keeping the nurse in the back happy. Major multitasking, plenty of people who can handle the beast find it difficult to find time to do everything else required. Not like fixed wing where the plane will essentially look after itself once set up correctly.

breakscrew
5th Sep 2006, 16:02
Save your sanity and finances while you still have a chance....;)

ormus55
5th Sep 2006, 16:20
anything that needs 3 hrs maintenance for every 1 hrs useage, should be kept in a locked room.
:eek:

rudestuff
5th Sep 2006, 18:01
Then how can you say you love to fly?
What is the saying? "A fixed wing pilot is someone who has an interest in aviation, but who has yet to experience it..."
Trust me - I started off fixed wing, but then i saw the light!