PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow Tower

Nogbad the Bad
1st Aug 2006, 12:46
Serious question, not meant to be light hearted - with the new tower becoming operational soon, any of you guys got vertigo ?

Glad I'm not a tower man, I get dizzy standing on a stool !

chevvron
1st Aug 2006, 13:58
Bet it sways about in this wind; I know Luton's tower does and it's a much more sturdy structure; fancy designing a structure for use in a flat open space and relying on guywires to keep it upright!

AlanM
1st Aug 2006, 15:25
....from the people who brought you the Millenium Bridge......

vfr800i
1st Aug 2006, 15:51
I'll be impressed if they get a few hundred people walking along it....

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Aug 2006, 15:53
Don't even ask about, shall we say, the plumbing arrangements?!

White Hart
1st Aug 2006, 17:22
but please DO ask about the new systems being installed, and how well they are expected to perform! :hmm:

chevvron
1st Aug 2006, 17:30
There's no 'plumbing' in Farnborough's tower (except ground floor) and that's half the height, so why expect it at Heathrow? It would need a heck of a pump to get water up there anyway, and as for getting 'foul water' out; the mind boggles!

GT3
1st Aug 2006, 17:59
Oh dear oh dear an new tower at Heathrow.......

Well where do we start? No really where do we start?

It will not blow in the wind we are told - a mass damper (banned in Formula ! last weekend) from Japan will sort that.

Toilet in the top - unisex, some have a problem with that. But some also use the gents when the ladies is busy....??? Go figure?

A long walk from any catering? Yep you bet. Bring your own food. AHHH but will they let it through security?

And the big question.....EFPS (now stop laughing at the back) is it suitable for the LHR operation? Money has been spent they say, you must use it. It works at SS and KK, it must work at LL they say. It will not fail, but it has done in the simulator, not a problem they say.............transfer requests anyone?:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Airline Tycoon
1st Aug 2006, 19:49
....from the people who brought you the Millenium Bridge......

Millennium Bridge was designed by Sir Norman Foster.

NVCR at Heathrow was designed by the Richard Rogers Partnership.

Evil Lord Ham
1st Aug 2006, 20:09
Don't even ask about, shall we say, the plumbing arrangements?!

I hear that the ATC princesses refused to use the stainless steel loo (as used by every aircrew) and instead insisted on it being replaced with a porcelain throne.

Barnaby the Bear
1st Aug 2006, 20:44
Isn't in EGPH tower, where they use Rain water via special ducts to flush the Loo? The Heathrow tower doe's look a bit like a large toilet roll with an upside down clear plastic cup on top.
Sorry only jealous..... By the looks of it you could have a go at controlling Northolts traffic from that tower also!!!!! :}

Gonzo
1st Aug 2006, 22:44
Barnaby, not quite. ;)

Story is if BAA's proposed Heathrow 'East' ever gets the go-ahead, we'll need another tower to control the eastern side of the airfield. And a 3rd runway might need another new tower again!

Maybe on the third attempt they'll get it right? :ugh:

Gonzo
1st Aug 2006, 22:50
Nogbad, in answer to your original question there are a handful of really worried ATCOs and ATSAs. I don't do heights, but I think I'll be ok when I'm working. It's getting from the top of the lifts (bottom of the glazed cab) up the steps to the floor of the ops room (top of the glzed cab - three floors up) that's the problem. The steps actually seem to float out into mid-air before doubling back towards the podium, if that makes sense.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd Aug 2006, 07:03
When I first mentioned how dreadful I thought the new tower was someone kindly sent me a photograph of a new Stateside tower - Boston I think? Now that really looks like a control tower - substantial concrete building with no bits of string holding it up. I simply can't imagine what the person who designed Heathrow's monstrosity was thinking of? Had he never visited an airport, ever?

As for toilets - well the ones in the old tower work extremely well. The ones atop the Empire State Building aren't bad either!

Gonzo
2nd Aug 2006, 07:09
HD, it's obvious.

I simply can't imagine what the person who designed Heathrow's monstrosity was thinking of?

A gas patio heater.....

Nogbad the Bad
2nd Aug 2006, 07:11
Thanks for that Gonz :ok:

Now that would be something I could never do !

Shades of looon, Bren, I reckon the bloke that designed it must look a bit like this..... :8

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd Aug 2006, 10:18
Nog.... nah; he had his glasses on back to front!!

25check
2nd Aug 2006, 10:52
Oh dear oh dear an new tower at Heathrow.......
Well where do we start? No really where do we start?
It will not blow in the wind we are told - a mass damper (banned in Formula ! last weekend) from Japan will sort that.
Toilet in the top - unisex, some have a problem with that. But some also use the gents when the ladies is busy....??? Go figure?
A long walk from any catering? Yep you bet. Bring your own food. AHHH but will they let it through security?
And the big question.....EFPS (now stop laughing at the back) is it suitable for the LHR operation? Money has been spent they say, you must use it. It works at SS and KK, it must work at LL they say. It will not fail, but it has done in the simulator, not a problem they say.............transfer requests anyone?:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

A mass damper? Is that what will happen to the staff when it starts swaying?

Anyone noticed how many of the early vociferous proponents of the efps thingy have now done a complete 180?!

Gonzo
2nd Aug 2006, 11:21
Anyone noticed how many of the early vociferous proponents of the efps thingy have now done a complete 180?!
Those who will actually have to work with it, yes! :E

They have to be admired though, Those I know of are quite open about it. :D

We need to confirm whether the stories that the people who sort out our training have been told not to make the later exercises too busy so as not to scare us are true!

GT3
2nd Aug 2006, 12:51
Level4 is meant to be very busy after requests on the report forms......:eek:

Geffen
2nd Aug 2006, 14:08
Level 4, I haven't even seen Level 3 and Level 2 was carried out back end of May beginning of June. Oh well I guess it will all work in the end.

Gonzo
2nd Aug 2006, 15:01
Haven't you got more important tasks to get on with than surfing the web, Geffen? :ok:

Or are you after a break?

Topofthestack
2nd Aug 2006, 15:31
The NVCR reminds me of one of those 'Armada' beacons dotted around the countryside that they light up for national celebrations. Perhaps they'll have a bonsife on top of the NVCR up when the armada is sighted off Plymouth again?;)

Gonzo
2nd Aug 2006, 15:33
Top, that's what I thought when I first saw the drawings! I was down in Plymouth for the 400th anniversary. Our new tower ablaze........One is almost tempted to say that some of my colleagues might welcome that! :E

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd Aug 2006, 15:39
Ahhh.. reminds me of the days of the A Watch bar-b-qs on the 7th floor balcony and various associated games. Don't s'pose they allow such things nowadays?

Topofthestack
2nd Aug 2006, 15:43
I understand that one of the emergency exits from the NVCR is via the pull-down ladder just above the AIR DEPS/ARRIVAL desks. What a wonderful view and just the place for one of those BBQs! Perhaps you could ask for permission to hold one there?

Geffen
2nd Aug 2006, 18:48
Gonzo,
I guess I really should go and see what all that crying is about!

shack
3rd Aug 2006, 07:23
Bren what I do not understand is how the hell Phylis gets the tea trolley up to the top!!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
3rd Aug 2006, 07:40
"Trolleeeee... " and the poor old No.2 would be left there in an empty room..

I gather that they have installed special block and tackle arranegments J!!

shack
3rd Aug 2006, 08:20
AAHHH--those custard tarts!!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
3rd Aug 2006, 10:36
...and the cakes weren't bad either...

Topofthestack
5th Aug 2006, 11:14
Prefer hot tarts myself.;)

shack
6th Aug 2006, 08:54
HD, Forgive Topofthestack methinks he is a new boy and knoweth not of which we speak.

Topofthestack
6th Aug 2006, 09:06
Shack, rest assured I do.:ok:

Barnaby the Bear
6th Aug 2006, 20:03
http://www.artofthestate.co.uk/london_photos/heathrow_control_tower_2.htm

:}

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Aug 2006, 20:08
Why do I only see a little square with a red X in it and no picture? I experience this often on the Internet.. but I have acres of memory and have checked IE settings to no avail.

AlanM
6th Aug 2006, 20:37
Because there is an improper link Bren.

http://www.artofthestate.co.uk/london_photos/heathrow_control_tower_2.jpg!!!!!

(this is the pic.......)

http://www.artofthestate.co.uk/photos/heathrow_control_tower_radar.jpg

foghorn
6th Aug 2006, 21:00
Are they going to put a roller coaster on it like the one in Vegas:E

AlanM
6th Aug 2006, 21:12
Are they going to put a roller coaster on it like the one in Vegas:E

You mean put a big bed knob at the top.....

http://www.vegas.com/resorts/strato/stratosphere.jpg

Barnaby the Bear
6th Aug 2006, 22:41
Because there is an improper link Bren.

Sorry crap at the technical bits. :8

clicker
7th Aug 2006, 02:27
I think I'll stick to my nice second floor office in a nice wide police station!

The wires look like its a nice new ride at the funfair, do you all grab one and swing round and round, or is that what you folks did with the custard tarts?

Or perhaps they are your emergency exits in case of fire in the lower portions of the place but they won't tell you until you have moved in? :uhoh:

Clicker

chevvron
7th Aug 2006, 07:54
Is that really a ladder going up the side and over the top?

Gonzo
7th Aug 2006, 08:13
Is that really a ladder going up the side and over the top?
I think (after trying to work out from which direction the photo was taken) that the 'ladder' you see going up the stalk is in fact the track for the now fitted external lift.

I believe there is a ladder on the top; we have an 'escape hatch' fitted in the VCR ceiling for us to get on top of the tower for helicopter rescue. If that ever happens, I just hope the cloud base is above 300ft! :eek:

Roffa
7th Aug 2006, 11:07
I believe there is a ladder on the top; we have an 'escape hatch' fitted in the VCR ceiling for us to get on top of the tower for helicopter rescue. If that ever happens, I just hope the cloud base is above 300ft! :eek:

If said helicopter is ever required where is it coming from and how long will it take to get there?

Or do AlanM and his chums just ask anyone flying the routes at the time if they'd like to offer a helping hand?

Gonzo
7th Aug 2006, 13:06
I believe the nearest suitable chopper (steady!) is the S61N at Lee-on-Solent.

That's what we were always told.

baffler15
7th Aug 2006, 13:20
Anyone got a photo that they can post so that us "southern" folk can see what all the fuss is about?

Midland 331
7th Aug 2006, 13:40
One here:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterkaminski/70279616/

Plus. use the searchbox on that site and enter "heathrow tower" (no quote marks...) to see more.

Sir Richard
7th Aug 2006, 16:32
For more fun methinks it requires a helter skelter like YSSY :}

Gonzo
11th Aug 2006, 11:40
So, thinking of the airside NVCR, one wonders how we would have coped yesterday at 0700 with multiple hour delays going through staff search? Looks like we'll have to dust off those 'airfield closed' NOTAM templates.....

GuruCube
11th Aug 2006, 12:22
So, thinking of the airside NVCR, one wonders how we would have coped yesterday at 0700 with multiple hour delays going through staff search? Looks like we'll have to dust off those 'airfield closed' NOTAM templates.....
Will you guys not use your own security gate? They wont expect you to go through with the punters? Surely?! :bored:

White Hart
11th Aug 2006, 13:19
GC
there are a number of airside access points available to us; however none of them are "our own", and we shall/will be expected to join all other T3 staff in the daily and very often delay-inducing requirement to be screened by HAL Security before being permitted into the airside areas. Although these are not checkpoints used by passengers, the delays incurred can be severe, and probably even more so now (after the events of 10Aug).

Topofthestack
11th Aug 2006, 13:34
Gonzo,

Probably have decamped to the old VCR and had to either sit in the foot high dust, wearing breathing masks! We'd have never have got our custard tarts through T3 security, and the tea would have been undrinkable by the time it got there.;)

Gonzo
11th Aug 2006, 15:04
Well, I'm sure it will only happen once, and then we'll get our own dedicated fast track access!

White Hart
11th Aug 2006, 16:34
I bet we don't!! :hmm:

Married a Canadian
11th Aug 2006, 18:09
No doubt you will not be allowed to take drinks and food through with you as they are such a threat to security! And also you will be bored in the tower as no reading material will be allowed to be brought through either......Just in case you understand!