PDA

View Full Version : NDB approaches banned at LTN?

LTNman
10th Jul 2006, 16:31
Luton's ILS is being calibrated so it is a case of SRA's at Luton today. The problem is that approaches are right on the limits at 2 miles visibility. Aircraft requesting a NDB approach are being told that they are now no longer allowed at LTN? Anyone know why?

Spitoon
10th Jul 2006, 16:57
Don't have any inside info but I can't see why it should be the case - there's an NDB approach to 26 in the AIP and no NOTAM indicating that it's not available. Must make flight planning interesting if 26 looks like it will be in use!

benhurr
10th Jul 2006, 16:59
flew in this afternoon, had a choice of NDB or SRA - took the SRA and got visual just over 2 miles. Around 3pm local

LTNman
10th Jul 2006, 17:09
This was late afternoon at around 17:00 with ATC informing aircraft that they were in error in offering a NDB approach earlier as they were no longer allowed at LTN. This message was passed on to more than one aircraft.

almost professional
10th Jul 2006, 17:51
just a guess but was the DME off also?

niknak
10th Jul 2006, 22:39
I don't work there, but I can't see any reason why NDB approaches shouldn't be allowed unless it's more expedient to provide SRAs.
NDB approaches with DME usually have the same minima as a 2nm SRA.

chevvron
11th Jul 2006, 06:25
Could be due to the fact it's an Approach Radar only unit, with pilot interpreted procedures only for use if there's radar failure.
NB I believe all NATS airports are 'radar only'

almost professional
11th Jul 2006, 06:47
we at NEMA are also radar only unit and yes we still have NDB/DME approach-as crews will find now the 27 ILS has gone for the summer!

11th Jul 2006, 07:04
I'm not absolutely certain about this but I believe there may be a technical reason behind it. I had a discussion on this very subject with the Head of TC Ops a couple of months ago and I am sure he gave a technical explanation but I cannot remember what it was!

Point 4

DFC
11th Jul 2006, 09:47
Could be due to the fact it's an Approach Radar only unit, with pilot interpreted procedures only for use if there's radar failure.

ILS is a pilot interpreted approach aid. Are you saying that the ILS is only for use in the event of radar failure? :D

Perhaps someone at Luton has the same idea! :(

As for the practicalities;

The SRA 26 has the same RVR and MDA as the NDB. The missed approach point is at 1nm for the SRA and at the threshold (based on timng from LUT) for the NDB.

Using the constant descent profile, we will be going round between 1 and 2 miles at the same height anyway on either procedure so it makes little difference in terms of getting in.

From an ease of operation, I think having radar give ideal altitudes every mile works better for me than having to work out a timing from LUT and "suck it and see"! One will also have the NDB as a crosscheck during the SRA.

So my question is....why the fuss?

Regards,

DFC

foghorn
11th Jul 2006, 09:57

Except PD, I believe, which does its own APP rating.

throw a dyce
11th Jul 2006, 11:41
Foghorn,
You're correct.Aberdeen does go procedural at night.No course at the college now,so the training is done in house.We use the NDB/DME approach with and without radar.

LTNman
11th Jul 2006, 13:40
I have asked my question on the Luton forum, the reply came back that straight in (direct) NDB approaches were ended some time ago at Luton but that procedural NDB approach for a non radar environment still exists. Wonder why they were ended?

rodan
11th Jul 2006, 15:18
Purely a guess, but perhaps the often meandering lateral track that can result from a poorly flown NDB approach is unhelpful with regard to noise abatement issues at Luton?