PDA

View Full Version : FIS between Gatwick & London

Martin @ EGLK
10th Jul 2006, 12:18
I'm planning a flight from Blackbushe to Headcorn routing between London & Gatwick and was wondering who the best peeps to speak to for some useful FIS.

Any advice?

eglk01
10th Jul 2006, 12:37
Farnborough for starters 125.25.
Cheers.

SATCO Biggin
10th Jul 2006, 16:29
Give us a shout on the way past.

Biggin Approach 129.40mhz.

Most people follow the 'concrete QDM' (the M25) south abeam us. And keep a look out for Kenley gliding site to the west of Biggin as they get upset by people flying overhead.

Fuji Abound
10th Jul 2006, 16:45
Farnborough will give you a FIS or RIS.

You should get the same from Gatwick to the north if they are not to busy.

You might like to talk to Redhill in view of the proximity of their circuit. Have a look at their entry an exit route which will give you a good indication of where any traffic will be.

Finally on to Headcorn. You will know they are very often active with parachuting. if you have not been there before it can be disconcerting to see one above you on final!

Martin @ EGLK
10th Jul 2006, 17:10
Farnborough was the 1st name on my list. I'm not too sure how far into the "gap" they cover. Then again, I know the radar has a long reach.

I guess I could listen to LGW & see if they're busy.

I was planning on routing towards your VOR SATCO, cutting the corner & following one out towards Headcorn. How far out would you like me to call in from?

I've not long done my tailwheel & some aero's (the reason I'm returning) at Headcorn & have got used to doing cct's between para's. I agree - very disconcerting at first.

Tx for the advice re Redhill. Will look up.

chevvron
11th Jul 2006, 08:00
Don't forget for the next two weeks there'll be TRA between Blackbushe and Headcorn; ask your airport authority for details of Blackbushe entry/exit procedures; be aware that at some times, there is a minimum P i/c requirement.

Talkdownman
11th Jul 2006, 08:14
Farnborough was the 1st name on my list. I'm not too sure how far into the "gap" they cover. Then again, I know the radar has a long reach. I guess I could listen to LGW & see if they're busy.
I was planning on routing towards your VOR SATCO, cutting the corner & following one out towards Headcorn. How far out would you like me to call in from? Tx for the advice re Redhill.Once upon a time an internal Farnborough LARS coverage chart existed for the guidance of Farnborough ATC. Chevvron should remember this. I recall it extended westwards as far as Epsom Racecourse. East of that one is within 10D of BIG which used to be the yardstick for EGKB Approach Control Service. Probably still is, SATCO Biggin may be out there to confirm. One usually needs 7.5 miles to get a word in anyway on 129.4 before the ATZ. I don't believe EGKR Aerodrome Control Service would be the slightest bit interested outside their ATZ. Gatwick Approach does not provide a LARS service. Listening on the radio won't tell you if they are busy, they do actually have one or two other tasks not least of which is telephone coordination which, of course, you will not hear. Gatwick probably won't want to be bothered by somebody tootling along MiG Alley as wouldn't Heathrow. In your own interest MISS KENLEY. It has no ATZ but one has a serious 'duty of care' to avoid such notified gliding sites. Kenley is notified up to the base of CAS. Don't expect any soft radar unit to weave you around the gliders, they are more difficult to see on the radar than by looking out of the window. Why not keep your workload down, get a FIS/RIS from Farnborough, then call Biggin at Epsom racecource. If you cannot get an ATZ transit then tightly follow the M25 to the south. Alternatively you could say Goodbye to Blackbushe Information and enjoy a quiet life outside regulated airspace just looking out of the window, glancing occasionally at the Ts and Ps, and then call Headcorn around West Malling.

mark147
11th Jul 2006, 09:26
I don't believe EGKR Aerodrome Control Service would be the slightest bit interested outside their ATZ.Possibly not. They will know something about their local traffic though, and if you're following the M25, you'll be going right over one of their reporting points (the M23 junction); your whereabouts might interest other inbounds/outbounds from Redhill.

Mark

chevvron
11th Jul 2006, 10:17
Dividing line used to be notified as 'a line joining Battersea Heliport and Gatwick' (just the bit outside controlled airspace!). The map we had also included the divide between Farnborough and Dunsfold LARS.
Who's this Miss Kenley you're on about?

Talkdownman
11th Jul 2006, 10:52
Possibly not. They will know something about their local traffic though, and if you're following the M25, you'll be going right over one of their reporting points (the M23 junction); your whereabouts might interest other inbounds/outbounds from Redhill.
MarkMaybe PW or FH at KR ATC will post comment. I can't believe that they would be bothered about itinerant traffic in MiG Alley.

Talkdownman
11th Jul 2006, 11:01
Who's this Miss Kenley you're on about?She's the one in 'Angels One Five' who got orf with Elfin 2, old boy....

umbongo
11th Jul 2006, 11:34
same question, but to the north of the heathrow CTR.

if you're flying to elstree for example, or taking the VFR route between luton and stansted, who will give you a RIS or FIS - Luton?

Talkdownman
11th Jul 2006, 11:59
Luton is not a participating LARS unit. In fact, none of the LTCC approach Control Units are participating LARS units. London Information is the only unit obliged to provide FIS in that area, and then only in accordance with ENR 1-1-2-1.

chevvron
11th Jul 2006, 12:08
Just think, all these Raytheon ASR 10 radars around the London area and spare consoles at Farnborough, but no effective LARS north or south east of the Heathrow/Gatwick area (east as well unless Southend get SSR). But then who would pay if the radars were linked together and piped to Farnborough to provide 'superlars'?

Talkdownman
11th Jul 2006, 12:25
Plus the Emergency Dispersal Facility (..or whatever it is called this week....) at Heathrow. All those lovely tubes on standby! Could be put to good use as a 'London Low-level' Super-LARS facility until needed by LTCC in an emergency, which ain't very often. Could be 'manned' by old retired ex-LARS duffers/geriatric pilots on lesser medicals who could reside in the 'Heathrow CTB Hotel'.........
But who is gonna pay you and me, Chevvron?? Air Regulation Enforcement Department Penalties Fund??

Fuji Abound
11th Jul 2006, 15:11
I have very rarely had a problem with a radar service from Gatwick .

It is almost as rare to have a problem with a service from Farnborough.

In the majority of instances you wont need a service becasue the viz is reasonable.

However, there are occasions when the provision of a service greatly assists with flight safety. A very good example might be the return flight into a setting sun.

If you need a service ask for it and tell the controller why. It is your responsibility to take any steps you consider necessary to facilitate the safe conduct of the flight. God help us but if you have a near miss that could have been avoided becasue a serivce was requested and refused and last you will know you asked.

Roffa
11th Jul 2006, 17:34
same question, but to the north of the heathrow CTR.

if you're flying to elstree for example, or taking the VFR route between luton and stansted, who will give you a RIS or FIS - Luton?

During their hours of operation, I would speak to Northolt.

Not a LARS unit either but a much better bet than GW or SS.

Talkdownman
11th Jul 2006, 18:05
During their hours of operation, I would speak to Northolt. Not a LARS unit either but a much better bet than GW or SS.Yes, Plenty of spare capacity.........

chevvron
12th Jul 2006, 11:22
-And they need something to do with all those VHF frequencies!

egbt
12th Jul 2006, 15:09
...; be aware that at some times, there is a minimum P i/c requirement.

Where does it say that? can't see it in the AIC

Talkdownman
12th Jul 2006, 16:15
Where does it say that? can't see it in the AIC It is a local agreement between Blackbushe Airport and Farnborough ATC restricting Student solo flights under certain circumstances. Here is an extract from Blackbushe Airport Bulletin 179:
"Throughout the period 10-23 July, movements will be permitted only for pilots with a minimum qualification of a PPL and flight radio telephony license. This requirement may be varied subject to individual approval of and appropriate briefing by the senior FISO or his nominated representative."

chevvron
12th Jul 2006, 16:20
If you're flying into Blackbushe during the time of operation of the TRA, you'll need to get PPR from Blackbushe, and they'll tell you about it.
It's part of a temporary LoA between the two airfields. B****r TDM beat me to it.

egbt
12th Jul 2006, 17:11
Thanks both:ok:

Talkdownman
12th Jul 2006, 18:59
If you're flying into Blackbushe during the time of operation of the TRA, you'll need to get PPR from Blackbushe, and they'll tell you about it. It's part of a temporary LoA between the two airfields. B****r TDM beat me to it.Blackbushe is PPR by telephone anyway, UK AIP AD 2-EGLK-1-1. No B****rs, thanks Chevvron, especially not when wearing your cravat. Anyway, you've been working hard today.....!