PDA

View Full Version : Sports licence conversion

theschultx
20th Jun 2006, 12:41
I have the opportunity to get a motor glider licence quite cheaply, (in Finland) and Im wondering what the rules are if I then wante to get a normal PPL, or a CPL after that? Do I have to complete all the hours again? Or can some of the hours be used for the PPL?
Any help/relevant links are very much appreciated!
Cheers
Jussi

Whopity
20th Jun 2006, 18:45
JAR-FCL 1.120 says you can claim 10% of your hours on a motor glider up to a maximum of 10 hours towards a JAA PPL
JAR-FCL 1.155 states that you can count 30 hours of motor glider time towards a JAA CPL.

theschultx
21st Jun 2006, 05:17
Is there some where that these rules are online?

Whopity
21st Jun 2006, 08:41
JAA Website JAR-FCL1 AL5

http://www.jaa.nl/publications/jars/563247.pdf

Section C PPL
Section D CPL

theschultx
21st Jun 2006, 09:23
Thank you very much, I appreciate your help!!!:D :ok:

theschultx
28th Jul 2006, 19:29
well... I finally got an email back from the finnish CAA and its all good news!!!

Here it is:

We regret the delay of our answer.

If You take MGPL-course, no theory credit may be granted for PPL-training. BUT: If You take a PPL-course, which will be conducted on TMG (touring motor gliders, in fact precisely the same aircraft but for different training) class, then You have a normal PPL. To fly small Cessna or Piper after that You just have to get class rating training for new class SEP (single engine piston, a few hours).

The experience requirement for PPL is 45 hours (JAR-FCL 1.120), but the minimum "syllabus hours" are only 35 hours (JAR-FCL 1.125). Those unspecified 10 hours may be flight time in Australia. A current and valid Australian license may be converted to JAR-FCL license as mentioned on JAR-FCL 1.015(c)(2) (and appendix).
http://www.jaa.nl/publications/publications_jars.html

Kind regards
Finnish Flight Safety Authority / Flight training and licensing

So this ends up being a very cheap way to do your PPL!!! :O :O